• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we are speculating about Persona 5 based on 3 and 4, but I have a gnawing feeling 5 is going be a whole new ball game altogether. Like as huge as the change from P2 to P3. But who knows, Persona 4 sold pretty well so Atlus may not want to change the formula up too much.

I know we are speculating about Persona 5 based on 3 and 4, but I have a gnawing feeling 5 is going be a whole new ball game altogether. Like as huge as a change from P2 to P3.

I think it will be both. I don't think it will just like completely remove slinks and the calendar and shit, but I think they will change how they work and change things about them.

Nimby

Banned
I made a thing, a very sucky thing, but still.

OVwrV3S.jpg

Acid08

Banned
I know we are speculating about Persona 5 based on 3 and 4, but I have a gnawing feeling 5 is going be a whole new ball game altogether. Like as huge as a change from P2 to P3.
Eh. Hashino said fans of 3 and 4 would "feel right at home" with 5. Doubt it'll be that big a change, at least to the core game.

I think it will be both. I don't think it will just like completely remove slinks and the calendar and shit, but I think they will change how they work and change things about them.
I agree. The only mainstays I am anticipating are the Calender System and Slinks in some form. I think the battle system, dungeons, time spent doing activities, and the velvet room will change drastically. I also believe character portraits will be removed altogether, but this is just my opinion, and it's probably wrong :p
Eh. Hashino said fans of 3 and 4 would "feel right at home" with 5. Doubt it'll be that big a change, at least to the core game.
I'm not sure it could be, and it would fine with me. I just feel 5 will be a pretty big change. All we can do is wait and see though.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!

Be careful quoting the semantics of my translation since I'm not a very literal person as a translator at all. :) But I've seen a lot of people here and elsewhere quote that line in particular at face value, so here's what he originally said first in Japanese so any other Japanese speakers in the thread can know I'm not making things up with respect to what I have to say next:

「P3」「P4」を楽しんでくれたユーザーのみなさんが違和感なく、すんなりと楽しめる内容になることは間違いないので、そこは安心していただければと思います。

Here's an alternate translation of what he said in a more literal sense: "There's something to be said for developing the game such that players who liked P3 and P4 can come into this without feeling out of their element and can just readily enjoy this new game. Hopefully those fans can rest assured that we have them in mind."

The key phrase in the original Japanese is 「違和感なく」, literally "without feeling something off" or something along those lines. You'll have to take me at my word at this point, but the way Hashino words it in Japanese indicates less to me that he and his team are interested in a complete mechanical and tonal retread of P3 and P4 so much as just making a game where people who got into the series through those games can basically look at 5 and recognize it as a Persona game in its own right.

The big point about that Hashino interview that I maybe should have made more clear when I initially posted my translation was that in terms of the back-and-forth and how Hashino articulates his answers, it was very much so a piece that was originally designed for Japanese consumption. The language just has mechanics embedded within it where it's okay to not explicitly express everything you mean to say when you have a reasonable assumption that your audience is already aware of the basic context and cultural nuances informing the content of what's being spoken. As a translator, I don't think you can do Hashino's personality and his deliberately substantial, but ambiguous answers justice by translating it literally because he wants you to try and read things between the lines of things that he both says out loud and remains quiet on. And try as I might have to make his answers play more naturally in English, it's hard to get away from the fact that English doesn't share those same conventions about subtlety or silently understood subjects, so a lot of people who aren't necessarily informed on those differences approach that interview as though it was always meant to consumed by them from the start under their cultural expectations when it wasn't at all. I'm not faulting people at all who take who my translations overly literally since it's just a natural way to respond to that content in general if you haven't been brought up around Japanese conversational culture, so to speak.

I'm still really proud that interview when it comes to my hobbyist work, but the interpretations I've seen from the media and elsewhere have given me a lot to think about moving forward because at the end of the day, it's still totally my job to make those nuances and underlying attitudes apparent in English even if you don't have a background like mine. Hopefully the June issue of the magazine has another fun interview like that to work on so I can get a second shot at improving my translation skills in that respect. :)

Menome

I hope they actually affect the story, instead of existing in a vacuum like P3 and P4.

Aye, one gripe I had was that I romanced Chie very early on in the game. Yet, aside from the Christmas event (and I've read there's Valentine's day too in Golden) it never gets addressed in the rest of the game.

Acid08

Banned
Be careful quoting the semantics of my translation since I'm not a very literal person as a translator at all. :) But I've seen a lot of people here and elsewhere quote that line in particular at face value, so here's what he originally said first in Japanese so any other Japanese speakers in the thread can know I'm not making things up with respect to what I have to say next:

Here's an alternate translation of what he said in a more literal sense: "There's something to be said for developing the game such that players who liked P3 and P4 can come into this without feeling out of their element and can just readily enjoy this new game. Hopefully those fans can rest assured that we have them in mind."

The key phrase in the original Japanese is 「違和感なく」, literally "without feeling something off" or something along those lines. You'll have to take me at my word at this point, but the way Hashino words it in Japanese indicates less to me that he and his team are interested in a complete mechanical and tonal retread of P3 and P4 so much as just making a game where people who got into the series through those games can basically look at 5 and recognize it as a Persona game in its own right.

The big point about that Hashino interview that I maybe should have made more clear when I initially posted my translation was that in terms of the back-and-forth and how Hashino articulates his answers, it was very much so a piece that was originally designed for Japanese consumption. The language just has mechanics embedded within it where it's okay to not explicitly express everything you mean to say when you have a reasonable assumption that your audience is already aware of the basic context and cultural nuances informing the content of what's being spoken. As a translator, I don't think you can do Hashino's personality and his deliberately substantial, but ambiguous answers justice by translating it literally because he wants you to try and read things between the lines of things that he both says out loud and remains quiet on. And try as I might have to make his answers play more naturally in English, it's hard to get away from the fact that English doesn't share those same conventions about subtlety or silently understood subjects, so a lot of people who aren't necessarily informed into those differences approach that interview as though it was always meant to consumed by them from the start under their cultural expectations when it wasn't at all. I'm not faulting people at all who take who my answers overly literally since it's just a natural way to respond to that content in general if you haven't been brought up around Japanese conversational culture, so to speak.

I'm still really proud that interview when it comes to my hobbyist work, but the interpretations I've seen from the media and elsewhere have given me a lot to think about moving forward because at the end of the day, it's still totally my job to make those nuances and underlying attitudes apparent in English even if you don't have a background like mine. Hopefully the June issue of the magazine has another fun interview like that to work on so I can get a second shot at improving my translation skills in that respect. :)
Interesting, thanks for the clarification! It'll be super exciting to see what he meant when they finally show the game.

abrack08

Persona 2: Innocent Sin
Shadow Lisa is built to fairly well. We know she's coming a long way off because of her posters in Muse, and Lisa's hatred of her father and standing out in general are discussed at length over the course of the game. Her affection for Tatsuya is an established and central part of her character, and attacking all of these is most certainly one of the best moves the game could pull. In a way, Shadow Lisa is the truest to the way Shadows would be portrayed later on in the series, and she almost feels more aggressive than Shadow Maya in the way she goes about replacing Lisa by spending time with her friends. The encounter is marred by the writers going just a bit too far by introducing the whole "drugs and sex" aspect and then not addressing it at all, but discounting this hazardous misstep, I feel that it really is a solid Shadow Self encounter in every other way.

I was under the impression
the shadow selves were created when there was a rumor that there were 5 terrorists planting bombs around town or whatever. I don't want to make you think less of Lisa's shadow, but I don't think she existed for the poster or spent time with Lisa's friends.

I agree about Shadow Maya and Tatsuya, those were pretty weak.

CorvoSol

I was under the impression
the shadow selves were created when there was a rumor that there were 5 terrorists planting bombs around town or whatever. I don't want to make you think less of Lisa's shadow, but I don't think she existed for the poster or spent time with Lisa's friends.

I agree about Shadow Maya and Tatsuya, those were pretty weak.

But if
Shadow Lisa does not appear as the third girl in those posters, then who is that girl?
Maybe I misunderstood that part, looking back.

Swedesu

Dude, I love your avatar

I've fallen in love with EOIV. It's so good

Heh thanks, runemaster is best girl.

I actually finished it just a few days ago and I can only agree with you. Not many games that has such a good combat system that it keeps you engaged for the whole game, especially in dungeon crawlers.

Also, the music is amazing, the level design creative and the general feeling is just the best.

And you have an airship, what's not to like?

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Pepsiman I am envious of your ability to make huge walls of texts that are so detailed with information. >_>;

You flatter me. :) The truth is that I'm just not very good at writing concisely or being a good editor for my own work. When I was still in school, I was actually really notorious for routinely managing to break upper page count limits for essays and research papers when they were in place and while I was mostly allowed to get away with it, it wasn't without some criticism and grade deductions from time to time. Basically I write like how I think, which as you've seen tends to be a lot, and then I just write until I feel I've comfortably conveyed my viewpoint and made it comprehensible. I am what I am as a writer, ahaha.

abrack08

But if
Shadow Lisa does not appear as the third girl in those posters, then who is that girl?
Maybe I misunderstood that part, looking back.

I may have misunderstood as well, but
their WAS a rumor about the main characters being terrorists, and we didn't see any Shadow versions of them until after that (and Shadow Maya infiltrates the party almost right after you hear the rumor)

I figured the poster was just a result of Lisa's friends getting their wish granted by Joker/spreading a rumor. Either Joker/The Masked Circle purposefully included Lisa as part of their plan, or her friends included her in the band because they wanted her to be a part of it (and obviously if rumors are becoming reality Lisa or her shadow didn't actually need to be involved for there to be a poster of her)

Moonlight

Banned
Ayane really ain't so bad. Her social link isn't amazing (particularly the first half) and her design kinda sucks, but I've really come around on the mellow tone of her story, and her actual problems are pretty relatable.

The big point about that Hashino interview that I maybe should have made more clear when I initially posted my translation was that in terms of the back-and-forth and how Hashino articulates his answers, it was very much so a piece that was originally designed for Japanese consumption. The language just has mechanics embedded within it where it's okay to not explicitly express everything you mean to say when you have a reasonable assumption that your audience is already aware of the basic context and cultural nuances informing the content of what's being spoken. As a translator, I don't think you can do Hashino's personality and his deliberately substantial, but ambiguous answers justice by translating it literally because he wants you to try and read things between the lines of things that he both says out loud and remains quiet on. And try as I might have to make his answers play more naturally in English, it's hard to get away from the fact that English doesn't share those same conventions about subtlety or silently understood subjects, so a lot of people who aren't necessarily informed on those differences approach that interview as though it was always meant to consumed by them from the start under their cultural expectations when it wasn't at all. I'm not faulting people at all who take who my translations overly literally since it's just a natural way to respond to that content in general if you haven't been brought up around Japanese conversational culture, so to speak.

This is all really intertesting, thanks pepsiman!

LX_Theo

Banned
I know we are speculating about Persona 5 based on 3 and 4, but I have a gnawing feeling 5 is going be a whole new ball game altogether. Like as huge as the change from P2 to P3. But who knows, Persona 4 sold pretty well so Atlus may not want to change the formula up too much.

I could see it being like that in terms of combat and dungeons... But its hard t imagine them deviating from the calendar and SLs very much after the success they had with them.

Menome

I could see it being like that in terms of combat and dungeons... But its hard t imagine them deviating from the calendar and SLs very much after the success they had with them.

I could see dungeons becoming a little more open-plan, and perhaps even less focused on the 'floors' approach. Perhaps with the theme of 'emancipation' that's being hinted at, we might also start in the middle of dungeons this time around and be trying to fight our way out instead of in?

I don't really now how they work, because maybe they are imaginative people that want to try different things, but im also sure they know one of the most attractive things in Persona 3 and 4 is the social links and "calendar" system. They maybe want to make it a staple in the series forever, who knows. If the demons dialogue system had worked well in the first Personas and it was something that the majority of people had love, im pretty sure P3 and P4 would have had it.
What im seeing a big change is probably in the dungeon mechanics and battle systems.

As I've said before, I've read that doujin

I've read it too.

Yep, me third.

What if... just what if... We were the antagonists this time around? Think SMT chaos route like choices, or even DS1/2.

Antagonists are the opposition of the protagonist. The protagonist is the main character. Even if we were evil we'd still be the protagonist. But I get what you mean. I think its neat idea since most of the time we play as the good guys. It'd be a nice change of pace.

I just hope the P5 pacing/social links are similar to P4. Ive almost finished P3, and the thing that hurts the game the most is the pacing. I also dont like the way that teammate social links are unlocked. (unlocked after 40+ hours, with a very harsh criteria)

Give me Catherine like graphics; a good paced storyline; great character development/slinks and epic music. Ill be very happy.

Great Chie artwork Chet.

Pepsiman, you da man

-The story mode from the original Persona 4 Arena
-The entire character glasses set
-12 additional BGMs
--Three from Persona 3
--Five from Persona 4
--Four from Persona 4 Golden
-Additional navigators Teddie and Mitsuru
-An illustration from Shigenori Soejima (not a download)

Not sure if this will be the Collector's Edition since the "newcomer" naming suggests differently. But nice to see additional music available, even if it is DLC. Also, looks like Mitsuru and Teddie won't be standard navigators in the game this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom