• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Haha, I did the same with my little brother

Kanji was the one that kept him playing

Little bro was stoked to learn that Kanji and Joel from the Last of Us are played by the same guy.

lollllllllllll Rise is the QUEEN.

Her romance feels forced as fuck but she feels the most canon of all the love interests

Also this final boss can eat shit. :mad:

The only moment I felt Rise was forced was
when the game makes you either be an absolute ass and not hold your friend who is crying her eyes out or initiate a romantic relationship.
Otherwise I was quite fond of her.

Who's marge?

A mysterious woman in a car who picks up our hero.

Also Little Bro's knowledge of Persona caused him to ask this before beginning the game: "Is this TV Persona or Gun Persona?"

Thought y'all might find that funny, too.

Squire

Banned
SHIT YES LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, GOT THE LITTLE BRO TO START P4G. First reactions are positive. Asked him which girl at the beginning had made him go "Ey gurl" cuz I figured it would be Marge, and he's like "Whichever one was selling me dat product."

Rise Kujikawa, ladies and gentlemen.

Hmph. Gentlemen prefer blondes!

Noi

So, I feel like doing a log of my Mind=0 run. You know, for posterity. Also, because I'm sure some of you are curious about the game but don't actually want to shell out for it.

DJ8TvwK.jpg

Let's begin!

Our story commences as all high school drama anime fantasies do, with a rumor being spread among impressionable teens. In this case, it's about a weird door that shows up out of nowhere, and if you go through it, you end up somewhere else! (......)

ufuRQMT.jpg

Oh ok that fits the theme a bit more.

14333644972_209f66eba2.jpg

After this initial setup is cleared up, we meet the first two characters with actual names. The guy on the left is called Nobukiko Watanabe, while the hard boiled adult on the right is Hiroaki Kamata (CV: Iron Tager). We're gonna call them Adachi and The Law, because that's exactly how the two of them come across as. They've both been investigating some cases regarding MINDs, which they think is a substance that drive people insane or something. They're on the verge of arresting a guy suspected of being involved, but Adachi's too pre-occupied with the date he has arranged after his shift. He gets scolded by The Law for being an idiot. We'll be seeing more of them soon.

The scene changes to another set of characters, but before that, we're treated to a tutorial on how to move around in the area map.

mdVD0kI.jpg
R578eJx.jpg

OKHyPmj.gif

Anyway, moving on. The next two people we meet are the main character and his love interest good friend.

WhxmEQn.jpg

The guy on the left is our main character, if the title screen alone hadn't clue'd you in. His name is Kei Takanashi, but that's too hard to remember so we'll call him MC-kun. The fine lady on the right is called Shizuku Kamina (CV: Labrys, Makoto Nanaya) and she's obviously the best character in the game given who she's voiced by. Labrys has been under the weather for a while now, but she assures MC-kun that she's fine now.

Labrys is startled by some dude walking across the street. MC-kun only sees a normal man, but he clues us in via internal thought that Labrys is able to see... things. (Wait, how does he know that?) MC-kun, like the perfect gentlemen he is, leads Labrys away from what's probably just some poor overworked salaryman.

After walking a little bit away, Labrys tells MC-kun that she saw a ghost, which he brushes off as weird. A schoolkid walks by and Labrys has a vision that the kid's gonna kick the bucket. The kid mouths off to her and says "Nobody tells me what to do, Lemme alone you dumb bitch! What a brat. MC-kun promises Labrys that he'd stop and runs off after the kid.

MC-kun catches up to the kid, only to run into his first party member.

yihiPCc.jpg

Chie (CV:Chie) seems to have a grasp on what's going on and knows who MC-kun is, but won't fill him in until he takes the kid away from the creepy salaryman. He does so but then he's attacked by a screen-covering black goop. Terrifying stuff.

bkiduT5.jpg

Poor MC-kun lets our a screen before his vision fades to black. Is this the end of our hero?

.....Of course not, this ain't a Bioware game, it's the first few minutes of your normal jrpg.

kFnnMJ6.jpg

WELCOME, TO THE VELVE-

RaaCvrC.jpg

luF0MSJ.gif

I think something went wrong when they were copying Philemon/Igor, you guys.

Next Time on MIND≒0, our hero finally awakens to his Persona. Oh, and we actually get to gameplay. They copied one thing faithfully, at least.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Maybe it's just my inner translator that's trained to know about these things, but I'm having a slight aneurysm over those dialog boxes lacking a proper variable width font like most localizations feature these days. That character spacing absolutely screams Japanese text engine that wasn't designed with localization in mind and it's weird to see in an Aksys release because I know that's not par for the course for the games they handle. It does happen a lot in official localizations for visual novels, but I'm under the impression this is mostly an RPG? I dunno. Nitpicking, but still looks weird to read.

RedGraveXIII

Neo Member
Finally got around to watching the PQ opening, good lord it looks amazing :E im looking forward to the character interactions more than the gameplay thats for sure

Deciding on a party is going to be hell
Heres my tentative crew: makoto/aigis/naoto/yukari/(junpei?)(shinji??)(kanji!?)(CANTDECIDEONBROCHARACTER)
Wish liz was playable:p

Speaking of vita rpgs^^^, has anyone played conception II?

RaaCvrC.jpg

luF0MSJ.gif

I think something went wrong when they were copying Philemon/Igor, you guys.

Next Time on MIND≒0, our hero finally awakens to his Persona. Oh, and we actually get to gameplay. They copied one thing faithfully, at least.

Nah, that's the Maiden in Black expy.

CorvoSol

Hmph. Gentlemen prefer blondes!

My brother IS blonde. As it happens I'm like, the only child who is not and never was blonde. Technically my sisters did that weird transition from blonde to brunette naturally, but a blonde I never have been, unlike my brothers, who so remain. I'd worry about this, but physically I look/looked a lot like my dad as a kid, so I know that's not the problem.

The real rip off is that I inherited almost all of my father's facial traits except the very most important ones: His hazel eyecolor. Somehow I got regular brown instead. I suspect this was to aid my camouflage while in Brazil.

So, I feel like doing a log of my Mind=0 run. You know, for posterity. Also, because I'm sure some of you are curious about the game but don't actually want to shell out for it.

This will actually help influence my decision. I want this game and conception II, but not till they're cheap.
I need more RPGs for my Vita. Don't judge.

Squire

Banned
My brother IS blonde. As it happens I'm like, the only child who is not and never was blonde. Technically my sisters did that weird transition from blonde to brunette naturally, but a blonde I never have been, unlike my brothers, who so remain. I'd worry about this, but physically I look/looked a lot like my dad as a kid, so I know that's not the problem.

The real rip off is that I inherited almost all of my father's facial traits except the very most important ones: His hazel eyecolor. Somehow I got regular brown instead. I suspect this was to aid my camouflage while in Brazil.

I await part two of this story.

CorvoSol

I await part two of this story.

I spent two years in Brazil as an LDS missionary. Generally speaking, people expected that Americans would fit a certain template: Tall, white/burned to a glorious red/blonde/blue eyes. I am like, 5-10, I tanned quite nicely, and have brown hair and brown eyes. Once I nailed down the accent I was able to pass myself off as a native whenever I needed to for as long as my vocabulary did not betray me. I didn't find that people disliked Americans there, but everyone reacts differently to you if they think you're one of them. For one, people didn't expect me to own a Ferrari if they thought I was from the same country. I was so good at it I couldn't speak English properly when I came home.

(For clarification's sake I never used this to out and out deceive people. Maybe to tease them a bit, but I never persisted in the ruse for long.)

Acid08

Banned
:lol this is awesome, can't wait for more!

Man, Law even has the jacket over the shoulder thing going on. Amazing.

CorvoSol

On the one hand, there's no denying that dude is probs meant to resemble Dojima, on the other, a detective holding his coat over his shoulder is like a thing in all kinds of stuff.

Like Detective Badd from Ace Attorney Investigations does that, I think. Maybe I'm wrong though. Hmmmm

Acid08

Banned
On the one hand, there's no denying that dude is probs meant to resemble Dojima, on the other, a detective holding his coat over his shoulder is like a thing in all kinds of stuff.

Like Detective Badd from Ace Attorney Investigations does that, I think. Maybe I'm wrong though. Hmmmm
True but again, this game totally seems to be notPersona. I guess the real test will be if he's doing that in 90% of his appearances throughout the game.

ALL YOU DO IS SMOKE AND HOLD A JACKET

Noi

It does happen a lot in official localizations for visual novels, but I'm under the impression this is mostly an RPG? I dunno. Nitpicking, but still looks weird to read.

After confirming things by beating the first dungeon, I feel like I can safely say that the game is pretty much one long VN with gameplay to break it up. Pretty much the only movement involved is in the (first person) dungeons and the area movement seen in those two screens.

This will actually help influence my decision. I want this game and conception II, but not till they're cheap.
I need more RPGs for my Vita. Don't judge.

Besides P4G, I can definitely recommend Ys and Demon Gaze as far as Vita RPGs go, soon to be joined by Oreshika. DG in particular I really liked, and I'm usually not very into classic dungeon crawlers (helps a lot that the game has a fixed plot to follow).

Squire

Banned
I spent two years in Brazil as an LDS missionary. Generally speaking, people expected that Americans would fit a certain template: Tall, white/burned to a glorious red/blonde/blue eyes. I am like, 5-10, I tanned quite nicely, and have brown hair and brown eyes. Once I nailed down the accent I was able to pass myself off as a native whenever I needed to for as long as my vocabulary did not betray me. I didn't find that people disliked Americans there, but everyone reacts differently to you if they think you're one of them. For one, people didn't expect me to own a Ferrari if they thought I was from the same country. I was so good at it I couldn't speak English properly when I came home.

(For clarification's sake I never used this to out and out deceive people. Maybe to tease them a bit, but I never persisted in the ruse for long.)

You sure seem to have led an interesting life so far!

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
edit: えっ、今度の『ペルソナ』特集、濃すぎ……!? (Uh...This Persona special....too dark!?) what does that even mean?

Google Translate probably said it was dark, right? That software is basically worthless for auto-translating any languages that aren't Romance ones, doubly so with Japanese, even with its weird user feedback system. Anyway, 濃い is a term that can also refer to the thickness of something. I'd take it to just mean that their "special" will take up a lot of pages in the way that Famitsu specials tend to, which is to say lots and lots of filler and very little substance. Should be pretty to look at at least~

After confirming things by beating the first dungeon, I feel like I can safely say that the game is pretty much one long VN with gameplay to break it up. Pretty much the only movement involved is in the (first person) dungeons and the area movement seen in those two screens.

Right, I kind of remember reading that in the Japanese release OT, now that you mention it. Still really strange. Pretty sure none of Aksys' other VN releases have had it. I mean given the issues that the game apparently has from what I read in Amazon Japan reviews, that's one of the least off-putting things about it relatively speaking, but yeah. Just really strange to see. Usually only get that sort of thing in the PC space when it comes to localized VNs.

pan-hime

Anyway, 濃い is a term that can also refer to the thickness of something. I'd take it to just mean that their "special" will take up a lot of pages in the way that Famitsu specials tend to, which is to say lots and lots of filler and very little substance. Should be pretty to look at at least~
Well, fly me to Antarctica.

That SECRET Ultimax thing on page 92

Daimaou

There's no actual images, and I've never heard of that site before, so I don't know how reliable they are.

May consider taking with a grain of salt.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Hachima is absolutely legit when it comes to Japanese game news and is very much so a known quantity on that part of the Internet. I've checked the normal channels we use at Gematsu for our Famitsu leaks as well that we rely on in addition to our digital subscription and can confirm the leak has shown up there, too. They aren't known to joke around where I'm looking, so I'd take it to be fact.

Looks like Adachi also gets his own story stuff, too. Interesting stuff~

Squire

Banned
In this thread?

Don't count on anything just yet.

Nah, if he's confirmed then it's time. Sorry if you haven't finished P4, but I personally am not going to continue using spoiler tags to discuss a combatant in a fighting game for too much longer. *shrug*

Dantis

Nah, if he's confirmed then it's time. Sorry if you haven't finished P4, but I personally am not going to continue using spoiler tags to discuss a combatant in a fighting game for too much longer. *shrug*

Unfortunately, it is not your decision.

Moonlight

Banned
Crossing my fingers that this is legit, with sincere apologies to whoever this may affect. Excited to see what this could look like.

Squire

Banned
Unfortunately, it is not your decision.

We've talked about your unreasonable expectations here (for a game you don't even like, funny enough) before. I'm not really worried.

I agree, if it's true. It will be stupidly hard to keep it under wraps with new comers and the like.

You don't even have to spoil the characters role in P4. He's a fighter in P4AU. That's going to be a known thing. To dance around it would the worst of spoiler culture and "Aeris dies" levels of dumb. No one is going to do that.

Dantis

I agree, if it's true. It will be stupidly hard to keep it under wraps with new comers and the like.

lol.

We've talked about your unreasonable expectations here (for a game you don't even like, funny enough) before. I'm not really worried.

You don't even have to spoil the characters role in P4. He's a fighter in P4AU. That's going to be a known thing. To dance around it would the worst of spoiler culture and "Aeris dies" levels of dumb. No one is going to do that.

My opinion is the same as ever. I'd ask for a moderator's input on the matter.

Moonlight

Banned
Yeah. I mean, if something can get spoiled by taking a peek at a character select screen, I think it'd be incredibly unrealistic to assume that we can keep 'protecting' newcomers from this particular plot element. Not saying that we should be painting the greeting signs with it, but I think it's safe to say that the cat's out of the bag. Assuming that this is true.

Legit P4 Spoilers:
I'm really intrigued to see if Adachi is going to have a 'Shadow' of his own, really. And what that Shadow could say about himself.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
So how much does Arcsys usually charge for character dlc?

Japanese leaks are saying that he's free with first print copies, so as long as you buy the game when it comes out, I think you're set. That being said, my understanding is that they normally clock in at under $10-ish.

Seriously, guys, I've confirmed this through our own sources for Gematsu and they're so good at their job that Famitsu often tries to get them to censor their news. I'll happily eat crow if I'm wrong, but I trust them, especially since they corroborate the initial leak from Hachima, so I've already run it as a story on Gematsu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom