• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
That means... It's his time to shine...

P3_Kenji.png

http://img.pandawhale.com/47321-hell-no-chris-tucker-gif-zUJk.gif

But yeah, who is that?

My goodness, I go to sleep for 7 measly hours and everything goes to shit

I for one am real excited about these news, and have found my secondary character

Once the official website is updated, I think we'll know like last time if there'll be another character thanks to the character page. If there's an additional character, it'd be weird if they weren't DLC at this point.

I'm starting to feel that the current P4U2 character select screen might have been foreshadowing after all. If that's the case, there would be one character left. And that character would be a P3 character.

People thought that A New World Fool not being part of the OST yet was what gave
Adachi
away.

Didn't someone earlier say that Burn My Dread: Last Battle isn't part of the OST yet?

abrack08

C'mooooooooooon Makoto! He would round out the roster nicely

I hope (P4 spoilers)
Adachi
isn't a
Narukami clone
since they have
similar personas.
Then again, we never saw
Adachi with a sword, he's gotta use his gun right?

FluxWaveZ

People thought that A New World Fool not being part of the OST yet was what gave
Adachi
away.

Didn't someone earlier say that Burn My Dread: Last Battle isn't part of the OST yet?

I don't think that's really related. Long Way is also in the game, and that's the song I'd mostly associate with that character. Who knows, though, I guess it being singled out for the Famitsu DX pack could be some sort of indication, but I also think that the character will have their own original theme.

And yeah, that was me. Seems like one of the only, if not the only P3/P4 battle song that isn't in the game yet.

Edit: Sorry, read the first part wrong. Yeah, that definitely could have indicated his appearance.

Squire

Banned
Considering this is a spoiler free thread that concerns the entire series, things that are spoilers within individual games should probably stay spoilered.

Yes, people will be spoiled by reading about P4U, the same way anyone can be spoiled by reading about a sequel. That doesn't mean we have to facilitate it in this particular thread. If we're going to be a spoiler free thread, then we should stay spoiler free. We shouldn't just pick and choose what we consider to be "open territory" because of sequels.

If you want to make these threads open spoiler, then that's an entirely different discussion, and not one I would be opposed to.

You should be able to say you-know-who is in the game without spoiler tagging their name. If you're saying you don't want there to be an open season on the greater plot details of P4 then that's fine and I agree. If anything, by spoiler tagging names you sort of call attention to the spoiler in question as when you first meet this character they have the potential to take multiple roles in the story.

The finer details don't need to be delved into, but Adachi is in the game. I respectfully maintain there's no reason to dance around it and that it actually isn't even a spoiler in and of itself. He is a side-character in P4 just as Elizabeth is a side-character in P3.
His nature is what you want spoiler tagged and that I can abide by.

CorvoSol

Persona 2: Disc 2: Eternal Punishment. First 20 minutes or so

1. CATS-MAN's Persona is literally a Cat Man.

2. Bag Man is perhaps the single most terrifying character design in the entire series.

3. Laughing my ass off at "all the characters in this game are fictional. Any resemblance to persons real or historical is "purely coincidence."" Mostly because
Hitler. Even if he sadly does not return.

4. Help me. Is it "Maw-Yaw" or just "Maaaaaaaaaaaa-ya" that Ulala pronounces Maya's name? I just keep pretending she has some like, heavy accent and is like "Mawyaw, dahling, we must be moah fashionabluuuuuh." Or whatever.

5. FUCK YOU MIZUNO, YUKINO WOULD'VE BEEN THE PERFECT ADDITION TO CATS-MAN'S NEW HAREM.

6. What in the sam hill is a "ceramic girl"? Like, I get that Ulala is a UMF participant/ Brazilian Super Model/ Cosplaying Lydia from Beetlejuice, but what does ceramic have to do with this? On a related note, could someone explain to me "ganguro" and "yanki" a little better? Like, I get that the former is sort of the equivalent of a valley girl since that's what Yuka got made into in P:R, but like, what does being a Yankee have to do with Yukino's rough and tumble childhood?

7. As crazy as "Ms. Saeko Smith" sounds, I can't stop laughing at the implied pun of Principal "Hanya Harding." Maybe Tanya Harding isn't famous anymore but still.

8. In terms of gameplay, minding you I haven't actually reached a fight yet, there are some things I sort of miss from P2:ISP that I'm not sure how I'm going to cope without so far. First off: no mini-map. Second, the configuration controls do not include any of the options from the last game, so no toggling text speed and the whatnizzle. Third, Triangle opens the map (where previously Square did) and Square opens the menu (previously Start.) Aesthetically we've moved away from P2IS's RED RED RED to kind of an abundance of gray, like I'm playing Chrono Trigger or FF8. On the other hand, the Jackfrost text background is up there with FF6's Chocobo text background for amazing but kind of impractical. Also, maybe it is just that I'm not out of the tutorial phase yet, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to look at character stats, equipment and personas.

How is this game in terms of difficulty? Should I expect to need to frequently update my Personas, or does the game give me most of the ones I need to complete it like last game? On the one hand I'd hate to just cheat for max cards at the start, but on the other hand it really did make for some smooth sailing.

I kind of feel, playing the beginning of this, that disc 2, Eternal Punishment is the real big thing for Persona 2. The cast is already notably more grown up, the plot's opening is also considerably weightier
I'm in love with the idea of Tatsuya and Maya struggling to remember one another. It was a great note to end P3 with, and it's a great way to begin EP.
I hope they can really do that premise justice, but at the same time I don't want to really lose the light hearted times from P2IS, because there was a lot of fun to be had there, and sacrificing all your smiles to be more serious business isn't great.

If there's a FAQ for this similar to the one you recommended me for P2IS, PK, I'd love that.

Also, as much as I want to get to know Elly, I think I'm going Nanjo route. I mean of all the P1 cast, he has to have the most badass new design. Dude's surpassed Reiji in terms of "I look like a totally fucking badass." Plus I know Nanjo and I know he can get fucking real when he has to. I'ma miss Yukino, but that's life.

Not sure how I feel about Tatsuya's new X-Factor costume
This is a reference to the OLD X-Men team called X-Factor, which consisted of like, one colored suits with big ol' x's across 'em. He looks like he is cosplaying Jean Grey circa INFERNO.
but I'm excited to have the TATS-MAN speak up. Kinda curious if he'll keep his name or if they'll skirt it since I think you can rename him at the start of the previous game? Also I still feel very strongly that this game shouldn't have had a silent protagonist, but at least Maya, like Golden Sun: The Lost Age (AKA the best Golden Sun game)'s Felix, benefits from having had a game to establish her identity a bit.

FluxWaveZ

As for the leaks, both Xrd and Ultimax I guess, if both are real that'd be pretty cool.

But part of me is more hyped if Guilty's is legit, crossplay man lol

Can't remember a time when a supposed Famitsu leak I cared about turned out to be false. Xrd's is great, though, because crossplay won't segment the audience for the game and we know there are more characters coming now. That's pretty cool.

One more thing, why is everyone so sure that we're going to have one more DLC character? Is it because of there being an odd number of combatants?

Nah, there was an odd amount in P4A too. I think it's because people are assuming that the character select screen in the arcade version will be in the console one, which displays characters in columns of two.

Adachi
sure is evil. Moved on from P4 and is now gonna tear this thread apart.

Can't remember a time when a supposed Famitsu leak I cared about turned out to be false. Xrd's is great, though, because crossplay won't segment the audience for the game and we know there are more characters coming now. That's pretty cool.
I was expecting no cross play from Arcsys going into this because it wasn't on Continuum Shift Extend and it was reconfirmed before the vita release of BBCP, so I'd be extatic if the rumor was true.

FluxWaveZ

One more thing, why is everyone so sure that we're going to have one more DLC character? Is it because of there being an odd number of combatants?

I don't think anyone is totally sure about that. We're saying that if the website is updated again with the new character being there and there's still the "Coming Soon" slot, then there's going to be another character. If there's another character, it's most likely that they'll be DLC since this one is DLC and it'd be odd to confirm characters that are included in the game and that are DLC out of order like that.

But given P4U2's character select screen, it's likely that there will be 4 characters after Persona Sho's ver. 1.01 introduction like people had theorized. That means Ken/Koromaru added to the bottom—where the P3 characters are—and Rise and DLC character added to the top, which is for the P4 characters. I think I'm going to go along with this theory now, and think that there will be a next character, and that they'll be related to P3.

I was expecting no cross play from Arcsys going into this because it wasn't on Continuum Shift Extend and it was reconfirmed before the vita release of BBCP, so I'd be extatic if the rumor was true.

Hell, I was expecting a 2015 release for Xrd in NA. So it's good news all around for that game.

Daimaou

You should be able to say you-know-who is in the game without spoiler tagging their name. If you're saying you don't want there to be an open season on the greater plot details of P4 then that's fine and I agree. If anything, by spoiler tagging names you sort of call attention to the spoiler in question as when you first meet this character they have the potential to take multiple roles in the story.

The finer details don't need to be delved into, but Adachi is in the game. I respectfully maintain there's no reason to dance around it and that it actually isn't even a spoiler in and of itself. He is a side-character in P4 just as Elizabeth is a side-character in P3.

As you say, a lot of it boils down to context. However, I'd argue saying a character is playable in P4U gives enough context to be spoiler worthy, just by nature of what you have to be capable of to be largely relevant to the plot. It's details from a sequel that can easily spoil a preceding title.

kewlmyc

I don't think anyone is totally sure about that. We're saying that if the website is updated again with the new character being there and there's still the "Coming Soon" slot, then there's going to be another character. If there's another character, it's most likely that they'll be DLC since this one is DLC and it'd be odd to confirm characters that are included in the game and that are DLC out of order like that.

But given P4U2's character select screen, it's likely that there will be 4 characters after Persona Sho's ver. 1.01 introduction like people had theorized. That means Ken/Koromaru added to the bottom—where the P3 characters are—and Rise and DLC character added to the top, which is for the P4 characters. I think I'm going to go along with this theory now, and think that there will be a next character, and that they'll be related to P3..

Well, if it does happen, then I'll be super conflicted. There will be 3 people I will want to main.

Setsu00

I can see why
Adachi
got in, even if don't care for
him
at all. I still cannot comprehend the hype surrounding the character.

What DOES bug me though is that
he gets his own story episode
. If it's like P4A, then the scenario will consist of tons of monologue...

FluxWaveZ

What DOES bug me though is that
he gets his own story episode
. If it's like P4A, then the scenario will consist of tons of monologue...

That's a good thing. P4AU has a different structure, so it probably won't allow for as much of that for Episode P3 and Episode P4, but this character's own dedicated episode would most likely give us insight into their psyche, motivations and background, and lots of internal monologue is an important way to convey that.

Similarly to Labrys's chapter in P4A.

Speaking as someone who was spoiled by the first Ultimax trailer back in November, it doesn't take much to put 2 and 2 together.

But with how I think he's going to compose himself in P4U2, it might be out of our hands.

RedGraveXIII

Neo Member
Hey guys what u-...WHAT WHHHAAAT!? I CAN'T- TUESDAY STRIKES AGAIN

I swear p4u is turning into everything I wanted it to be, all I need now is Makoto and my life will be complete.

I hope Adachi plays the role of the anti-hero this time around(WHOSCAUSINGSHITINMYTOWN???), I'd be kind of disappointed if he just went back to being a bad guy.

May next Tuesday (Sony's conference) keep up with the trend. Sony better show me more than just 5 chairs (I'm already assuming that they are going to show something... One can hope and dream right?)

PK Gaming

Oh my, this thread got super noi-

Adachi is confirmed

BUT THAT MEANS...

IT HAPPENED! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED! WHOO! YEAH! THE ROSTER IS NOW COMPLETE! THE P4 SIDE IS FINALLY PERFECT! SUCK IT HATERS! I WAS RIGHT! I. WAS. RIGHT.

I guess that means I win that avatar bet!

Hinata_%2828%29.png

Hinata_%2810%29.png

Hinata_%2813%29.png

Lunar15

Very surprised at the reactions to the new character. Didn't think people here liked him.

Personally, I don't like that he's back from a story standpoint. But then again, P4A has always been a fan-service vehicle, and there's nothing wrong with that.

kewlmyc

Very surprised at the reactions to the new character. Didn't think people here liked him.

I like him. He was an interesting villian
that I already liked before the big reveal

Oh my, this thread got super noi-

Adachi is confirmed

BUT THAT MEANS...

IT HAPPENED! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED! WHOO! YEAH! THE ROSTER IS NOW COMPLETE! THE P4 SIDE IS FINALLY PERFECT! SUCK IT HATERS! I WAS RIGHT! I. WAS. RIGHT.

I guess that means I win that avatar bet!

Do you have all the DR2 sprites saved for moments like these? :p

Lunar15

The character is literally one of the more popular Persona 4 characters.

In Japan, perhaps. Not really around here save for one or two people. I'm not saying he was hated, just not revered.

I liked him as a villian, but not enough that I'd want to see him again.

Szadek

How is this game in terms of difficulty? Should I expect to need to frequently update my Personas, or does the game give me most of the ones I need to complete it like last game? On the one hand I'd hate to just cheat for max cards at the start, but on the other hand it really did make for some smooth sailing.
As far as I know there is only 1 Persona you can get for free and even that one is missable.
I thought the game is difficult,but apperently I was underleveled,and I also missed Maia Custom( a persona you don't want to miss).
Every now and then I had to grind a few level,but even then it was manageable for the most part as long as you know what you are doing.

Anyway,
Finsihed P3P with FeMC.
My personal persona ranking: P3P=P2EP>P4>P2IS>P3FES>P1(>P4:A)
The PSP version fixed the combat system,which was my by far biggest problem with the orginal game.
The FeMC only SL are also a big improvement over the normal ones.
It took me 60 hours to finish the psp version(instead of 95 hours).
The ending was more enjoyable for me,too,simply because I care more about the FeMC.
There is only 1 big problem:no cutscenes.
Otherwise the game would be almost perfect...well,tartarus could be a little bit shorter.

Lunar15

Well, looking at the character confirmed thread, that was evidently wrong.

I know, hence why I said I was surprised.

I'm glad he's in for those who wanted him, but I'm really glad we got Ken, Rise, Yukari, and Junpei first. I would have been pretty upset otherwise. At this point he's a neat bonus.

I'll need to play P4G. He wasn't well fleshed out in P4, so maybe that's why I'm lukewarm on him. I didn't find him to be all that crazy of a character outside of his use as a plot device. He wasn't bad, in fact, I liked the themes surrounding him, but it just felt very separated from the game. Perhaps P4G can remedy that for me.

I too am like whatever. If anything it makes me excited because if he's, key word, DLC, Atlus wouldn't just stop at one character. There's only a few plausible ones missing too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom