• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenoflare

resized_salty-meme-generator-my-fries-could-use-your-salt-3ce32c.jpg

Beautiful

Squire

Banned
I personally don't see much issue with people selling the game/not getting it. Why pay for a product that doesn't reach your expectations, especially when one of them is $10 over average MSRP?

Naoto and Kanji were my favorite characters in 4, and also had my favorite voice performances, so I'm more than a little disappointed myself. I'm probably going to either wait for a discount or watch a LP, and wait for Persona 5.

You can post whatever you like, but "I'm not going to buy this game because (insert whatever selfish reason)" doesn't really give way to any interesting discussion and considering some people who are working on this stuff are posting in this thread, it just seems rude.

far cry role (and ol' ocelot since he has to play off didn't-get-enough-money-to-actually-say-words-snake) are the only ones i'm kinda interested in.

PersonaGAF is a big place. I expect you to become quite familiar with those image macros poking fun at your salt as you plan your next post.

You can post whatever you like, but "I'm not going to buy this game because (insert whatever selfish reason)" doesn't really give way to any interesting discussion and considering some people who are working on this stuff are posting in this thread, it just seems rude.

Bullseye!

Like I said earlier, you're not even giving the new voice actors a chance. I can think of countless times where a VA has been replaced and done just as good of a job as the original (if not better).

To say you aren't buying a game because of this is unbelievably petty, and quite frankly insulting to the writers of the dialogue.

Yes, the VA's portray it in a way that makes it their own, but the fact is that it is the writers who make the characters who they are more than the VA's.

Sophia

The competence level of the new voice actors was never in question. There is no reason to assume they will do anything less than an excellent job. The only problem is merely that one of consistency and the awkwardness that comes with characters get their voice switched. Certainly not worth not buying the game over.

Geez, some people are acting like we owe Atlus to purchase their games. People can do whatever they want with their money, for whatever reason. I know I expect the stuff I spend my hard-earned money on to be perfect, so I guess to some people having inconsistent VA work is enough to devalue the game for them.

It's not the job of this community to pander to the developers and and choosing to not buy a video game for any reason is not selfish.

We aren't Atlus's personal cheerleaders.

Nimby

Banned
Derailing the voice acting discussion for a bit, how many of you actually play P4A competitively? I feel like I'm getting the ropes with this game, a lot faster than I expected, although I know once I step online I'll get my ass royally handed to me :D

Squire

Banned
It's not the job of this community to pander to the developers and and choosing to not buy a video game for any reason is not selfish.

We aren't Atlus's personal cheerleaders.

I'm not saying you should pander, I'm saying you don't need to go out of your way to be a jerk. "I'm not buying this game" is in no way useful or interesting commentary in a community thread created off the basis that people are buying, playing, and in all likelihood enjoying these games. You don't have to be a cheerleader. You don't even have to show any respect. I'm saying it would be better if you did.

The competence level of the new voice actors was never in question. There is no reason to assume they will do anything less than an excellent job. The only problem is merely that one of consistency and the awkwardness that comes with characters get their voice switched. Certainly not worth not buying the game over.

That's not what GameFAQs told me

Kazzy

To say you aren't buying a game because of this is unbelievably petty, and quite frankly insulting to the writers of the dialogue.

Yes, the VA's portray it in a way that makes it their own, but the fact is that it is the writers who make the characters who they are more than the VA's.

No, it's really not. The fact that you deem this "unbelievably petty" is in fact, a good case of irony in and of itself.

And to the second point - that's not at all the case. Bad material has been salvaged by the performance of the actors, and vice-versa. To place the onus solely on one aspect, is quite frankly naive.

Derailing the voice acting discussion for a bit, how many of you actually play P4A competitively? I feel like I'm getting the ropes with this game, a lot faster than I expected, although I know once I step online I'll get my ass royally handed to me :D
I do, and a good number of others play too. I recommended sticking to Ranked Mode for your first few matches, so it'll pair you up with an equally-leveled person. Hit me up if you ever want help practicing. P4A was my first fighting game ever, so I had to learn from scratch.
I'm not saying you should pander, I'm saying you don't need to go out of your way to be a jerk. "I'm not buying this game" is in no way useful or interesting commentary in a community thread created off the basis that people are buying, playing, and in all likelihood enjoying these games. You don't have to be a cheerleader. You don't even have to show any respect. I'm saying it would be better if you did.
When someone says "I'm not buying this game" in a vacuum, then yeah, it's not useful to the community at all. But that's not what happened here, as they explained the reasoning for their statement. That post started a discussion here on how important VA's are to these games. Apparently they're extremely important to a few people. Also, as you said, Atlus employees browse this topic. I'm sure they're here in part to gauge the community's feedback.

If it doesn't contribute anything useful or interesting it's more than easy enough to ignore it. If it's interesting it will warrant discussion, if it isn't it won't.

Kazzy

Personality is intrinsic to these games, it's a huge part of their appeal after all. It's only natural for some feel a little aggrieved towards that being abruptly (some might say irrevocably) changed.

The fact that we're even having this discussion at all, is proof of its merit.

Ok PersonaGAF, favorite and least favorite Social Link from P3 & P4?

Least favorite - Marie: Probably due to the fact she was added later into an already complete game, her social link was basically HEY! LOOK HOW MUCH THE REST OF THE IT LOVES HER! SHE'S PART OF THE GROUP TOO!

Most favorite - Dojima:
Explored the deeper issues of a family that seemed OK on the surface. It covered how he still thought of his wife, and to show Nanako he still loved her.

No, it's really not. The fact that you deem this "unbelievably petty" is in fact, a good case of irony in and of itself.

And to the second point - that's not at all the case. Bad material has been salvaged by the performance of the actors, and vice-versa. To place the onus solely on one aspect, is quite frankly naive.

It honestly really is unbelievably petty, because cancelling your pre-order due to the absence of a voice actor is unjustly punishing and spitting in the face of an entire dev team for something that was ultimately out of their control. Do you think they just sat there and though "Hmm, let's not bring Troy Baker back. That oughta rustle some jimmies in that fanbase of ours!"? I'm 100% sure that they would've gotten all of the old VAs if it were in their power, but the fact of the matter is that said VAs were simply unavailable, and no one's at fault for that.

Boycotting or not purchasing these games does more harm than good in the end, because it sends the message that if they can't get such-and-such a voice actor, they shouldn't even bother making the game in the first place. And really, isn't a product that slightly differs from your expectations better than no product at all?

Sorry if I'm sounding irate or aggressive (I'm really not trying to), but I thought I'd throw my hat into the ring.

Jintor

buying a game is a value judgement each individual enters into on their own accord according to their own evaluation of what is important to them or not

Squire

Banned
This is probably the quickest way to stifle any sort of discussion - childish and immature.

Whatever. My point has been misconstrued into something it's not. Not going to carry on a discussion like that.

And childish and immature? You (not you specifically, for clarity) get back what you put in. Shocking, I know. Childishness and immaturity is the current vibe in this thread and I've had my fill.

Xenoflare

Least favorite - Marie: Probably due to the fact she was added later into an already complete game, her social link was basically HEY! LOOK HOW MUCH THE REST OF THE IT LOVES HER! SHE'S PART OF THE GROUP TOO!

Most favorite - Dojima:
Explored the deeper issues of a family that seemed OK on the surface. It covered how he still thought of his wife, and to show Nanako he still loved her.

I have to say that I found all S.links in P3 to be lackluster, I felt no drive besides leveling up the ranks so I can get the exp bonuses.

But

I liked the old couple S.link the most, maybe it's because I always have a soft spot for seniors as I grew up with my grandparents, similar thing happened to Death link in P4, and that one hits a bit too close to home.

For P4, I liked Nanako's and Dojimas, it really makes you feel like you are part of the family, overall I really liked most of the S.links in P4, but those two stands out.
Though the confrontation with Dojima in November ruins it a bit

I found Kanji's to be disappointing in the end, I still liked it, but I hoped Atlus could explored his sexuality a wee bit further. I'm not asking for token gays in my party, but Kanji had so much potential

Most favorite - Dojima:

Least favorite: I've said this many many times, but Kenji/Nozomi. I don't even need to explain why.

Most favorite: That's a hard one... Hisano hits really close to home, Dojima was really good, Naoto too (yes, I said it), Aigis, Maiko, Maya... There are many, I can't pick just one.

It honestly really is unbelievably petty, because cancelling your pre-order due to the absence of a voice actor is unjustly punishing and spitting in the face of an entire dev team for something that was ultimately out of their control. Do you think they just sat there and though "Hmm, let's not bring Troy Baker back. That oughta rustle some jimmies in that fanbase of ours!"? I'm 100% sure that they would've gotten all of the old VAs if it were in their power, but the fact of the matter is that said VAs were simply unavailable, and no one's at fault for that.

Boycotting or not purchasing these games does more harm than good in the end, because it sends the message that if they can't get such-and-such a voice actor, they shouldn't even bother making the game in the first place. And really, isn't a product that slightly differs from your expectations better than no product at all?

Sorry if I'm sounding irate or aggressive (I'm really not trying to), but I thought I'd throw my hat into the ring.
We don't owe Atlus anything. If a loss of a VA is enough for someone to not want to purchase something, that's entirely their decision to make. My values aren't your values, your values aren't mine.

This applies to any issue. There is no reasoning of any kind that can make the person who decides to not buy a video game a bad guy. Protesting against it, sure. But not buying it? It's their money, they can do what they want with it. We aren't running a charity, we're consumers of video games.

EDIT: I should mention, through all of this, the VAs being replaced will not stop me from buying Ultimax, and I probably am not going to buy Persona Q anyway. It's just the sentiment that anyone who doesn't buy a video game is selfish or petty or whatever bugs me.

Rubedo

In P3, my favorite was probably Maya. Not sure why exactly. I just enjoyed it.

My least favorite from P3 was Kenji. I didn't care about him at all and he was that one guy that I never wanted to hang out with but did anyway just for Surt.

My favorite from P4 was Dojima. Just powerful stuff all through out and is even better if you are also working on Nanako's link at the same time.

My least favorite from P4 was Chie. Probably an unpopular opinion but I just felt hers was very basic and could have cut out most of the rank up events entirely. Hers was generally just a "I want to protect people I care about" kind of thing which seemed very lackluster in comparison to the more nuanced developments in the other party members. I also thought it was a little strange that every party member's link had to do with dealing with their Shadow but Chie's wasn't all that based on hers.

Xenoflare

CfCACQR.png

I barely started P3P, but I have a feeling that this may be interesting.

Let me just say that it *almost* made me think of Kenji just a tiny bit more than I did in the original.

P3P's FeMC links are leagues ahead of the original in my opinion, you can notice the fact that it's added in later, but the writing is much better.

Sophia

Persona 3 Portable made me hate Kenji even more. Before he was just stupid. Now that I know he's got a beautiful girl (who is head over heels in love with him), and he's ignoring her..... That makes him incredibly stupid!

Xenoflare

Persona 3 Portable made me hate Kenji even more. Before he was just stupid. Now that I know he's got a beautiful girl (who is head over heels in love with him), and he's ignoring her..... That makes him incredibly stupid!

Hey now, at least Atlus decided to make that happen. I actually like him a bit more since the possibility with Rio is there... somewhat.

But by liking him a bit more doesn't mean I don't hate him.

Moonlight

Banned

Most favorite - Dojima:
We do this every now and again, and my answer is usually the same. My least favourite SLink ever is probably Kenji. He just sucks and I hate him. The premise of his social link is an exercise in frustration and he could never just take the fucking hint. Was worse in P3P, when it was clear he had a sweet girl like Rio so obviously crushing on him. He sucks, man.

On the other side of the coin, in pretty much every respect, was Junpei - the superior Magician. I have a lot of favourites, but if there was any social link that I thought succeeded the most, it was Junpei's. It's really one of the big tentpoles of why I think so highly of P3P (besides the fact that it was my first Persona game). It was just an incredibly sincere, thoughtful social link that really let me buy into Junpei as a character. It was also really cool about implication versus exposition in regards to Junpei's home life. Just a great social link, and probably why I liked Junpei so much.

I might gripe occasionally and mostly jokingly about not getting to seal the deal with the dude (
ensuring double girlfriend death heartbreak
), but I do appreciate the platonic tone of the link.

I wanna shout out to Ai, and the Dojimas as far as P4 goes. Absolutely outstanding social links.

Best in P3 is Maya, no question. It's not the best character arc, and not a whole lot actually happens, but damn it if that isn't an interesting way to flesh out a character. Akinari is a close, close second.

Worst in P3 is Kenji, but that's too easy maybe. Nozomi's was pretty bad too. Tanaka's was overall pretty bland, probably the only S.Link in either game that made me feel nothing in the end.

Best in P4... I dunno, maybe Rise? She's not even close to my favorite party member but I think her S.Link story arc was told the best. The part where she gets the letter from the middle school kid was the best, that's not something you'd expect from her character arc and it was all the better for it.

Wost in P4 (not counting the Fox and Margaret, because, come on), I think I pick... Sayoko, the nurse. The transition in the S.Link's tone from the first half to the second half is clumsy and honestly, outside of the parts where she wanted to eat the protagonist, it was pretty boring. She also has a S.Link rank up scene where you have no interaction with anyone at all. Come on.

Xenoflare

Best in P3 is Maya, no question. It's not the best character arc, and not a whole lot actually happens, but damn it if that isn't an interesting way to flesh out a character. Akinari is a close, close second.

Worst in P3 is Kenji, but that's too easy maybe. Nozomi's was pretty bad too. Tanaka's was overall pretty bland, probably the only S.Link in either game that made me feel nothing in the end.

Best in P4... I dunno, maybe Rise? She's not even close to my favorite party member but I think her S.Link story arc was told the best. The part where she gets the letter from the middle school kid was the best, that's not something you'd expect from her character arc and it was all the better for it.

Wost in P4 (not counting the Fox and Margaret, because, come on), I think I pick... Sayoko, the nurse. The transition in the S.Link's tone from the first half to the second half is clumsy and honestly, outside of the parts where she wanted to eat the protagonist, it was pretty boring. She also has a S.Link rank up scene where you have no interaction with anyone at all. Come on.

To this day I still think that Sayoko's S.link is just a filler to fulfill every arcana.

Xenoflare

Well, I'd say Fox and Margaret were, although I guess we're discounting them?

At least it was "special" in a way that they operates with side quests and fusion requests, not saying that they aren't fillers.

Sayoko's link has nothing but plot and character development to fall back on, and it's just weird that she jumped from point a to point b in terms of development without any actual progress.

Sophia

Margaret and the Fox legitimately annoyed me through gameplay. The first time through P4 both of those went unfinished. >_>;

Xenoflare

Margaret and the Fox legitimately annoyed me through gameplay. The first time through P4 both of those went unfinished. >_>;

I never finished Marge's link until my 3rd or 4th playthrough.

I never finished Fox's link until my 7th (which is a 3rd on another save)

I never maxed out all of the S.links all together. I maxed them out in different playthroughs, but never all of them together.

OH, I forgot about the young mother S.link. I had no impression of her.

PS I have a P4G addiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom