• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

Happy birthday Dantis!

Seems like I'm the only person who liked Naoki's social link. As for worst, can't say I particularly cared about Shu. And Marie is just awful, obviously.

Definitely not. His social link was pretty great, and it's a pity it went unnoticed by most players.

I feel like the mileage for this S.Link may vary depending on your cultural context.

For us Asians, we place high importance on academics. We feel great when our parents are able to walk around and tout that their child is a natural genius. On the other hand, we will be guilt-tripping all over the place if we do less than expected.

Even though I can't personally relate to Shu, I felt that his story could have happened to any one of my friends.
Except that Shu still had a supportive family when he got caught and he didn't wind up taking his own life, unlike the cases that I know.

Maybe it may be my international naiveté, but I don't expect Westerners to have the same cultural understanding for this S.Link to work on an emotional level.

For what it's worth, I absolutely adored Shu's s.link. I might not have had Asian parents, but I definitely know what it was like to have parents that stressed over grades above all else. His s.link starts out slow, but it really ends up becoming great towards the end. The
party you and your friends throw for him
ended up being one of my favorite s.link events in Persona.

Plus, who doesn't love this:

tumblr_mthxzt3qvM1so05lmo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mthxzt3qvM1so05lmo2_1280.jpg

MSMrRound

but I don't expect Westerners to have the same cultural understanding for this S.Link to work on an emotional level.

Not really. I'm Asian as well and I found his Social Link to be really boring. I'm Singaporean, so maybe it applies more to countries with a more traditional view on such matters.

I'll be happy if they cut out the Margaret "bring me these Personas with specific skills" or Fox's "mini-quests" as social links, if they ever decide to bring them back in Persona 5...cuz y'know...they are not really "social links"...I prefer it the way they did it in Persona 3, when Elizabeth didn't have a social link, yet some of the sidequests rewarded us with some pretty cool rewards e.g special armor which affects the appearance of our characters etc, or those charming outings with Elizabeth. Heck, those were even better than Kenji and Nozomi's SLs.

Oxiderous

Neo Member
Not really. I'm Asian as well and I found his Social Link to be really boring. I'm Singaporean, so maybe it applies more to countries with a more traditional view on such matters.

Well, bro, I'm going to tell you right now that even here in Singapore (fellow Singaporean), these mentalities still exist. Being an individualistic country now doesn't wipe away our collectivist roots. I think for us, it's more specific to our household, parents and upbringing. Just goes to show even in the same country, people can live different lives.

Sophia

I'll be happy if they cut out the Margaret "bring me these Personas with specific skills" or Fox's "mini-quests" as social links, if they ever decide to bring them back in Persona 5...cuz y'know...they are not really "social links"...I prefer it the way they did it in Persona 3, when Elizabeth didn't have a social link, yet some of the sidequests rewarded us with some pretty cool rewards e.g special armor which affects the appearance of our characters etc, or those charming outings with Elizabeth. Heck, those were even better than Kenji and Nozomi's SLs.

Optional sidequests should indeed be optional sidequests. You could safely ignore Elizabeth's requests in P3, but you were penalized for ignoring the Fox and Margaret. Which sucked. :\

Cheers for the birthday messages!

Have a birthday sketch. Gonna do proper lineart for it somewhere down the line, I think. It's Naoto dressed as Marie.

Ahahaha. That outfit doesn't really work on her either. Still, it's an endearing sketch.

Happy Birthday, Dantis!

arue

P3
Best: Aigis, Shinjiro, and Junpei. Edit: Akinari too.
Worst: Kenji, Nozomi

Aigis' S.Link feels like a part of the main story because it shows her character development at the end of the game and in The Answer.
Shinjiro is the best male S.Link because it crates depth to his character. In FES, it feels like he was just there; but in P3P, I end up caring a lot more for him than the other SEES members.
Junpei's S.Link shows that
you don't have romance every guy in your party,
which was unexpected when I first played P3P. Also, he's Da Man and the best bro (haven't finished Yosuke's S.Link yet, so that may change)
Akinari's S.Link is just so sad. It teaches you about life and I actually symphathize him and his mom.

Kenji and Nozomi are my least favorite S.Links because they're dumb and stubborn from the beginning until almost the end, esp. Nozomi with his cult ideas.

P4 - I haven't finished the game yet, but so far:
Best: The stepmother, Ai, Kanji
Worst: The Fox

The stepmother S.Link feels so real that I want to know how the kid and her will end up.
Ai's S.Link is kinda a surprise because I was expecting her
to fall in love with Yu, not Kou.
Her character development is also interesting so far because she's not as bitchy as I thought.
I only got to rank 3 with Kanji, but I like his S.Link so far. Gotta love his "I'm gonna renovate your ass".

The fox and Margaret's S.Link are the worst because they're more like side quests instead of conversational S.Links that show character development. Good thing Margaret's S.Link doesn't cost a whole afternoon to do, unlike the fox's.

Also, happy birthday Dantis!

I think some of the best (or at least my favorite) S. Links in P3/P4 are...

P3:

The Monk (Tower)
MMO (Hermit)
Maiko (Hanged Man)
Dying Man (Sun)
Tanaka (Devil)

These were definitely the ones I felt the most connection to. I always talk about how a lot of P3 Social Links are just some of the worst people (Nozomi, Kenji), but these ones are truly great ones that I enjoy.

As for P4:

Rise (Lovers)
Ai (Moon)
Kanji (Emperor)
Naoki (Hanged Man)
Hisano (Death)
Sayoko (Devil)
Nanako (Justice)
Dojima (Hierophant)

Again, these are all really great ones that I absolutely loved to see how these characters were shaped and grew from their social links. Ai's in particular is probably one of my, if not my favorite social link of Persona 4.

FluxWaveZ

Updated P4AU music list now that I know Burn My Dread -Last Battle- is in the game:

New Original Music:
- Main theme
- Main theme with vocals
- Yukari theme
- Junpei theme
- Sho theme
- Minazuki theme
- Rise theme
- Ken/Koromaru theme
- [Redacted] theme
- Replacement for Sparks Fly
- Credits
- Final boss sounding theme

New Music (Shadow P4 themes):
- Reach out to the Truth -First Battle- (Shadow Yu)
- Backside of the TV (Shadow Chie)
- ZONE TIME (Shadow Yosuke)
- Castle (Shadow Yukiko)
- Sauna (Shadow Kanji)
- Borderline of Madness (Shadow Teddie)
- Secret Base (Shadow Naoto)
- Theater (most likely in the game via Shadow Rise)

New Music (Shadow P3 themes):
- Crisis (Shadow Akihiko)
- Shadow or Master of Tartarus (Shadow Mitsuru)
- Master of Shadow (Shadow Aigis)
- Deep Breath Deep Breath (Shadow Junpei)
- Calamity (Shadow Yukari)
- ??? (Shadow Ken)

Match-up specific (P4):
- I'll Face Myself -Battle- (Normal character vs. Shadow character)
- Muscle Blues (Kanji vs. Shadow Kanji)
- Fog (Shadow character mirror)

Match-up specific (P3):
- Wiping All Out (Female P3 character non-mirror match)
- Mass Destruction -P3FES Version- (Normal character vs. Shadow character)
- Burn My Dread -Last Battle- (Shadow character mirror)

Miscellaneous (P4 and P4G):
- Long Way
- Shin Mitsuo Tensei
- Junes theme
- Time To Make History (Instakill music and DLC)
- Pursuing My True Self (DLC)
- Heaven (DLC)
- Kerorin MAGIC! (DLC)
- It's SHOW TIME! (DLC)
- Never More (DLC)
- Shadow World (DLC)
- True Story (DLC)
- Umi e Ikou ze (DLC)
- A New World Fool (DLC)

Miscellaneous (P3):
- Unavoidable Battle
- Danger Zone
- Time Castle
- The Snow Queen
- Burn My Dread (DLC)
- Kimi no Kioku (DLC)
- Deep Mentality (DLC)

Miscellaneous (P4A):
- Best Friends (S. Lab mirror [possibly other conditions?])
- The Ultimate

There is also unknown PQ music as DLC.

I love that there's so many songs, but still, fighting to Heaven, Never More, or Kerorin MAGIC! is gonna be weird, lol.

Also reminds me that I should get speakers for my PS3 monitor, I never get to hear PS3 games nowadays unless I put on Xsplit :(

Redacted? Why is Atlus bringing in DiveKick characters? They don't need guest characters!

Obvious Kappa is obvious but I legit forgot who "Redacted" was for a second, lol

Mdesilva

God dang it, why does Shadow Junpei have the worst song in P3 as his theme? T^T

Should've been Danger Zone...
Danger Zone is for the FeMC though, so that wouldn't make sense :p

So guys, I haven't played P4G since I realized I couldn't max all S.Links anymore. Should I start over? It's gonna suck replaying the beginning parts, but if I play it through I don't know if I'll be up for playing it again soon after…

(This is my second playthrough, but since it's on a different PSN it's a new save and isn't an NG+).

Also, happy birthday, Dantis!

NichM

Banned
Updated P4AU music list now that I know Burn My Dread -Last Battle- is in the game:

The Junes theme song (the long instrumental one, not the little vocal jingle) is in there too, which I know because someone picked it during my shift at E3 and then nobody changed it for like 8 matches.

FluxWaveZ

The Junes theme song (the long instrumental one, not the little vocal jingle) is in there too, which I know because someone picked it during my shift at E3 and then nobody changed it for like 8 matches.

Oh man, thanks so much for telling me this. Fighting with this on the Junes stage would be (like) a dream come true.

Everyone loves the Junes theme song. Everyone.

Oh man, thanks so much for telling me this. Fighting with this on the Junes stage would be (like) a dream come true.

This is the perfect excuse to link this song.

Moonlight

Banned
I feel like the mileage for this S.Link may vary depending on your cultural context.

For us Asians, we place high importance on academics. We feel great when our parents are able to walk around and tout that their child is a natural genius. On the other hand, we will be guilt-tripping all over the place if we do less than expected.

Even though I can't personally relate to Shu, I felt that his story could have happened to any one of my friends.
Except that Shu still had a supportive family when he got caught and he didn't wind up taking his own life, unlike the cases that I know.

Maybe it may be my international naiveté, but I don't expect Westerners to have the same cultural understanding for this S.Link to work on an emotional level.
I grew up in an Asian (Korean, to be specific) household, too. Cultural understanding wasn't so much an issue; I could follow Shu's problems. Just thought the pacing was disjointed, particularly around the first half of the social link and I think I had some problems with the way that the link telegraphed Shu's problems in his school life to you, although it's been a little long since I last played through it to nail down exactly why. As I said, anyways, his link revs up a good deal in the second half.

His Rank 10 is really great, in particular. It's the only link that leverages your whole circle of friends! Only vanilla one, at least.

Seems like I'm the only person who liked Naoki's social link. As for worst, can't say I particularly cared about Shu. And Marie is just awful, obviously.
I think his Slink is fine, but that haircut can go to hell.
As for mine. My favs are Aigis, Nanako/Dojima, Ai, and Akinari.
my least favorite were the fox and Margaret. Shit was just busywork.

Happy birthday Dantis!

Uuugh, I was really interesed in doing Naoki's social link, since he was related to a character from the story, but sadly I was only able to achieve like rank 3 or 4 due to doing other Social Links. Shu's social link was also one of my favourites, since I can relate to him in having one the best grades but not being good on other ''cool'' things, and the worst thing is, I ONLY MANAGED TO ACHIEVE RANK 9 (which I freakin' love) THE DAY BEFORE THE GAME ENDED AAAAAH.

kewlmyc

Someone at AX go buy me this.

Please?

I want this too now. Dammit.

That's a lot of songs, and some of the shadow themes don't seem like the best "fightan" themes. Guess they didn't want to create new music for each shadow fighter, even if it was just an evil sounding version of their regular theme.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for social links (haven't played FeMC's route yet):

Favorites: Akinari (P3 Sun), Maya (P3 Hermit), Kanji (P4 Emperor), Naoto Non-Romantic (P4 Fortune), Adachi (P4 Jester)

Eww, no thanks: Nozomi (P3 Moon), Fox (P4 Hermit), Margaret (P4 Empress)

Akinari's was very sad, yet sweet while Maya's was all around fun, even though it could be slightly creepy at times given who she actually was. Kanji is Kanji, so yeah. Naoto's was super detective fun most of it, but I find her romantic angle a little off putting for some reason. Could have been handled better. Adachi's ties into the story, which I really like.

Nozomi was super unlikable, and went into a totally different direction halfway through. Fox and Margaret weren't even social links, just quests. No thanks. It would be like giving Elizabeth a social link, but it didn't consist of the dates, just the silly quests.

Surprisingly Kenji and Marie aren't on my worst list, but I thought Kenji's was interesting because we all knew it was going to crash and burn hard, making me look forward to each new level of his S.Link. Marie's S.Link, while kinda generic and had no payoff at level 10, wasn't bad. It's her poetry and personality that makes me not like her.

I only managed to get Dojima and Yosuke up to rank 9 right before the end., with Dojima's being literally one hang-out away from maxing. Which of course means
it's not worth spending some extra time with me before I leave Inaba.
Video games.

Another dumb moment was at Naoto's rank 8(?) where
she runs away from home because she thinks Dojima doesn't love her or something along those lines. Cue the next day, where some story event happens and she's super happy about dad being home.

Anyway, for P3:
Best - Yuko, Yukari, Maya
Worst - Nozomi/Kenji, businessman dude was pretty lame too
Most Amusing - how do i eat a hamburger

P4:
Best - Kanji, Kou, Dojima, Nanako,
Worst - Nurse, Naoto, Fox

I was pretty much a huge failure at maxing S. Links in P4 though.

Ok PersonaGAF, favorite and least favorite Social Link from P3 & P4?

I didn't max my social links in 3 so I can't say for sure.

P4G
Worst:
-Aeon. There are a couple of good moments...but it's just as you said. A large amount of the social link is spent trying to superficially integrate Marie with the main characters. It really does feel like a filler link. It doesn't help that Marie herself isn't that great of a character. This was successor to the Elizabeth "dates" from P3FES but Marie isn't nearly as endearing.

-Of the main characters, Chariot. I don't even remember what happened with Chie.

-People here are mentioning the part time job social links. I agree they aren't the best. I think a large part of their weakness is because you don't change locale for these links, so the interactions quickly become stagnant. I also agree that the Devil social link wasn't intriguing beyond its initial meetings.

Best
A lot of the better s.links have already been elaborated on in this thread. But I don't think I've seen someone talk about the Fortune social link, which was one of my favorites

I can't say much about Naoto's character arc entirely, because I'm not sure what her theme was. It seemed like a bunch of different issues tied together.
That being said, I enjoyed her social link simply because it was *fun*. Chasing down a mysterious culprit who left riddles was really refreshing for me. It was much different than the conventional social link where you look to pick the most sensible answer, or the answer that they would want to hear. Also the mystery premise made it more of an active 2 way exchange between yourself and Naoto. Your interactions weren't just inquisitive, but you also touched base on her various concerns and the sentiment she had whenever we found another portion of her lost items. It was very good at showcasing what made her tick.

I criticized Rise's social link for retreading her development. It was because I was paying attention that I realized she wasn't going anywhere. Naoto's link was different.
Near the end of the s.link there's a part where you're cued to remember specific parts of Naoto's past. But the questions only slightly allude to the subject matter, so you wouldn't get them right unless you could truly recall your past interactions. Your time spent together was tied quite well with that.

FluxWaveZ

You forgot Master of Tartarus.

It was in the initial list I had made, but there was a lot of confusion between Master of Tartarus and Master of Shadows, especially relating to Shadow themes, so I didn't include it since I'm not 100% sure it's in.

Cool, wonder if there's still confusion relating to Shadow themes, then, because that might just be Mitsuru's like I had put initially. No idea.

CorvoSol

Ok PersonaGAF, favorite and least favorite Social Link from P3 & P4?

Lemme jump in on this! Woooo!

For Persona 3 my favorite on the male side is definitely the Aeon. Aigis' transition from machine to human is perfectly supplemented by her social link, and I feel like the SLink shows some great subtlety in expressing her frustration with her mechanical body. Especially when she comments on her jealousy of young, human couples she observes on the rooftop. Absolutely one of the best moments in P3 for me.

The worst in P3 is a tie between Kenji and Fat Kid. I might well give it to Fat Kid since you at least get to make fun of Kenji at his weakest moment, but Fat Kid actually learns from his Social Link, so it is a tie.

The best female Persona 3 Social Link is Shinjiro, because it completely changes the way one looks at him. Shinji goes from being the stereotypical badass with no times for the system that he appears to be to a sweet guy who, quite possibly, is the most loving and caring member of SEES for the whole of SEES. That this SLink is timed right before major events involving him only helps to cement it.

There are some pretty good ones in P3, and a few pretty meh ones to boot, though.

In P4 the choosing is much harder. I want to say that the Nanako/Dojima Social Link is the best, but it is two SLinks so that's kinda unfair to the rest. I found Yosuke's the most relatable, and I enjoyed Rise's a lot, but I actually think I'm gonna hand this one to Kanji, with a special mention to Hisano. This is because the time I spent with Kanji reminded me a lot of the volunteer time I spent working with youths. Kanji had a lot of troubles he needed help working through, and main guy was there to bounce those ideas off of and stuff. It's great because Kanji is vulnerable in his SLink even though he is in most ways the team brute.

Hisano's got me because I have old and dying grand parents and it opened up cannisters of feelings and memories I had thought forgotten.

The worst in P4 is the fox. Although I think that Marie's SLink is lacking in that they should have just made her a goddamn full time party member (and I continue to pray that Persona 4-2 comes out with FeMC, Labrys and Marie as a pop star band of treasure hunters working to bring back Tidus. someday Labrys and Marie will get to be playable in an RPG.) but at least there was a payoff for her. The Fox, aside from the lowering of costs, has none. That Social Link has nothing really social about it. It's great as a gag, though "I wanted to hang out with the fox again." This is clearly the time when Yu gets stoned as fuck during the day, what with the magic leaves and all. Margaret's isn't amazing, being considerably less involved than Elizabeth and Theo's, but it still beats out the Fox because it's got that James Bond flirting with Ms. Moneypenny feeling while M/Igor is away.

It was in the initial list I had made, but there was a lot of confusion between Master of Tartarus and Master of Shadows, especially relating to Shadow themes, so I didn't include it since I'm not 100% sure it's in.

Cool, wonder if there's still confusion relating to Shadow themes, then, because that might just be Mitsuru's like I had put initially. No idea.

Shadow Mitsuru's theme is definitely Shadow. Also, the video linked was vs regular Mitsuru.

Personally, I think I'll Face Myself -Battle- is normal vs shadow for P4 characters, while Master of Tartarus is normal vs shadow for P3 characters. Both are boss music against shadows, so it's a possibility.

FluxWaveZ

Personally, I think I'll Face Myself -Battle- is normal vs shadow for P4 characters, while Master of Tartarus is normal vs shadow for P3 characters. Both are boss music against shadows, so it's a possibility.

I'm pretty sure that the FES version of Mass Destruction is the normal vs. Shadow (P3) theme from what I had seen but, yeah, it's hard to gauge from arcade footage where the music playing may or may not be MU relevant. I know it's in the game for sure, at least.

I'm pretty sure that the FES version of Mass Destruction is the normal vs. Shadow (P3) theme from what I had seen but, yeah, it's hard to gauge from arcade footage where the music playing may or may not be MU relevant. I know it's in the game for sure, at least.

Is there any P3 song left that they could use for Shadow Ken? The only one I can think of right now that isn't on that list you made is Basement. I think that one actually fits in a fighting game, unlike Crisis.

EDIT:

I'm checking the list again. What about Darkness? It's not in the arcade?

Best social links eh?

P3: Akinari Kamiki - Sun. Easily the best social link in the original game. You can tell that P-team were just beginning to write what becomes the staple of the 'new' persona series, but this one is just so bittersweet and painfully beautiful. Its not that the other slinks in P3 aren't emotional but there is nothing (outside of aigis) on the level of this one.

Saori Hasegawa - Hermit (FemC). I feel for this girl so much, does nothing wrong and just get screwed over at every opportunity. But she maintains a cheery demeanor and it seems like she genuinely embraces FemC's friendship.

Aigis - Aeon. Oh Aigis, your transformation throughout the game is perfect. Going from being a robot to a person is something that should be impossible to portray but it is done so well in this game and it really shows how good the writers are. The social link not only gives us more of her evolution but it's so well done! And considering the game's ending, the scenes that you have with her are all the more emotional.

P4: Nanako/Dojima - Justice/Hierophant. They could very easily had merged these into one 'Dojima Family' link, boy am I glad they didn't. Both of these are brilliantly written. Nanako as the innocent, optimistic girl that you cant help to love, and Dojima as the flawed father who only tries to do right. If future links are half as good as these two, I'll be happy.

Ai Ebihara - Moon. It took me 3 attempts to get past rank 3 on this link, but I am glad I persevered. At first she comes across as such a bitch with no redeeming qualities, but damn! She is so much more complex than she lets on at first. It takes a lot to go from completely hated to one of my most liked characters in the game, and this link does it so well.

Rise Kujikawa - Lovers. I know a lot of people think of this link as 'pandering' or 'wish fulfillment' but those people cant be looking past the 'relationship' side of this one. When you look at Rise herself, this girl is confused about who she is, who she should be, what people want from her, what people expect of her, whether or not people actually see the real her. This is a girl who has been alone for so long despite being surrounded by people. It shows how genuine she is in what she cares about and just how much she cares about it.

Worst social links too? (I should say least favourite really)

P3:
Kenji - Unlikable Idiot.
Nozomi - Scamming cultist arsehole.
Chihiro - Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

P4:
Fox/Margaret - Go do a thing. (Although Margarets conversations were quite interesting)
Shu - At least you get to call him a prick, because he is one.

Teddie - I'll go into a little more detail on this one. Teddie as a character is fine, its his link that sucks. Auto-advancing as the story goes works fine for Fool/Judgement, but they are missing out on outside of the plot character building when using it on Teddie. It seems like every rank up is the same 'I'm working hard to find out who I am' moment every time. Granted rank 10 is great because of what happens (and it implies that social links go beyond the two people involved), but I feel like they missed a step in not allowing any actual interaction in the ranking up of Teddie.

So what do you guys think about the "Everyone, lend me your strength! I'm...!" line from Yu in his P4AU video? Is he dealing the final blow to the main villain?

Rise Kujikawa - Lovers. I know a lot of people think of this link as 'pandering' or 'wish fulfillment' but those people cant be looking past the 'relationship' side of this one. When you look at Rise herself, this girl is confused about who she is, who she should be, what people want from her, what people expect of her, whether or not people actually see the real her. This is a girl who has been alone for so long despite being surrounded by people. It shows how genuine she is in what she cares about and just how much she cares about it.

Not a lot of people. Just me.

I'll agree that her social link shows how genuinely confused she is.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I think the one problem with Rise's SL is the part where she starts crying and you only have two choices which is:

A) Console her
B) Stand there like a jackass

And A being the relationship trigger for whatever reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom