• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marche90

I'm currently on my third run overall of P4, although the first time I'm playing the PS3 version and somehow I managed to finish the Fox S.link, while Margaret's still in rank 7 (I still need some more cash to buy more stuff from the compendium). I won't finish like 4 or 5 of them (Rise, Shu, Ai, Yumi and maybe Naoto)

To provide a different answer than my usual "Yosuke, Kanji and Rise's S.links are the ones I like the most", I'm going to answer that I'm really enjoying Hisano's S.link (Death) during this run. The one I've enjoyed the less? Huh... Fox, I guess :lol

Xenoflare

By the by, any 3DS users here have dents or scratches on their 3DS's circle pad? I have one that looks very deep but cannot be felt at all, tried the eraser trick but it didn't really work.

It's mostly cosmetic since I don't think any rubber actually peeled off, but it annoys me a bit.

PK Gaming

Persona 4

Best:

2014%2B-%2B1

Kou Ichijou (Strength): Kou's social link offered the perfect balance of lighthearted fun, drama and character development. It was particularly great at conveying this sense of unity between the protagonist and his 2 friend. Like all of a sudden, you were back in highschool, hanging out with your closest friends and shooting the shit. It's filled with a handful of *fun* events, and the ending is actually pretty poignant. It also has the distinction of being one of the s.links where the s.link character doesn't have their issues completely fixed by the protagonist's help.

Ai Ebihara (Moon): I've already talked about at length about why I think Ai's social link is amazing, so i'll just reiterate my main point; her social link is an awesome deconstruction of the impossible double standard that woman (high school girls to be specific) are often held up to.
She was bullied when she was *ugly* and called a bitch/slut/etc when she became *pretty*.
She gets so wrapped up in trying to be this perfect girl, it causes her to lose sight of who truly is (i'm talking trying to sound fancy here; she literally starts to act, eat and dress in a way that she doesn't want to), and it really screws her up. I'm also a fan of this s.link because it's one of the few romance s.links in the game that don't feel forced. Heck, you get punished for trying to date her when she's emotionally vulnerable. Take that!

Yosuke (Hopeless Idiot): Maybe it's because I can totally empathize with the character, or maybe it's because i'm a useless piece of trash who loves Yosuke, but this social link just clicked for me. It gives you some necessary insight into what makes him tick, and it was just a fun ride throughout. It felt nice seeing Yosuke's relaxed self for a change (wholly distinct from his spirited-but-tactless persona from the main story). I also appreciated the fact that you could actually comfort the guy in his time of need; his rank 8 is probably one of the most poignant scenes in the entire game, and it really defines his relationship with the protagonist. Bromance jokes aside, there's this genuine intimate bond that the protagonist ends up cultivating with Yosuke over the social link.

Lunar15

Goddamn I love Yosuke's social link. I like him in the main story too. He's just a fucking real guy, man. He's all sorts of messed up with complexes galore, but his heart is in the right place and he's trying figure out how he's supposed to react to the situations he's placed and the people around him.

Ok PersonaGAF, favorite and least favorite Social Link from P3 & P4?

Least favorite - Marie: Probably due to the fact she was added later into an already complete game, her social link was basically HEY! LOOK HOW MUCH THE REST OF THE IT LOVES HER! SHE'S PART OF THE GROUP TOO!

Most favorite - Dojima:
Explored the deeper issues of a family that seemed OK on the surface. It covered how he still thought of his wife, and to show Nanako he still loved her.

P3:
Most Favorite: Yukari, Mitsuru, Akinari, Mutatsu and Mamoru
Least Favorite: Yuko. I don't know, ever since I met her I hated her lol I really hated doing all the love stuff with her just to unlock Mutatsu's social link.

P4:
Most Favorite: Yosuke, Rise, Dojima and Ai.
Least Favorite: I suppose Hisano or Eri. Both of them didn't click me so I only did like rank 2 or 3 of their social links.

To this day I still think that Sayoko's S.link is just a filler to fulfill every arcana.

Isn't that the same to every social link except for the characters related to the story? :p

wmlk

Why are Persona games so good...
I just realized that they're the only games where I can chill or go hardcore with the battle system and not tire myself out. The social/dungeon crawling split is really awesome.

EDIT: And am I the only one who was bored with Rise's Social Link? I understand how everyone likes her so there's that...but everybody knew how the SL would end up from the very beginning. It would have been more interesting if there was an actual peek into her showbiz life.

People bash on Yukiko's Social Link but it really isn't too far from Rise.

Well at least you need some substance to flesh out the characters, Sayoko's one of the worst.

Marge and Fox at least had sidequests to keep it going, I gave my reasons earlier.

The Yasogami High Social Links were the best ones. In retrospect, most of the other ones (outside of the story characters) did feel like filler. I wish they did more with Hisano instead of beating around the bush.

PK Gaming

Sayoko's social link goes to complete shit when the sex-well dries up. I'm not even joking. Because even if it was lowbrow and somewhat creepy, it was at least entertaining.

Her social link offers nothing of value. It's just dull and uninspired, and filled with platitudes about life. I love how she gets this huge epiphany towards the end, and acts like the protagonist made her realize the errors of her ways or some shit. You don't do a damn thing.

By the by, any 3DS users here have dents or scratches on their 3DS's circle pad? I have one that looks very deep but cannot be felt at all, tried the eraser trick but it didn't really work.

It's mostly cosmetic since I don't think any rubber actually peeled off, but it annoys me a bit.

my old 3ds has that but i think it was because my fingernail used to dig into the circle pad when i played. you could only see the marks if you held it at an angle(even then it was annoying) but after getting another 3ds i stopped holding the circle pad like i used too.

also whats the eraser trick?

Xenoflare

my old 3ds has that but i think it was because my fingernail used to dig into the circle pad when i played. you could only see the marks if you held it at an angle(even then it was annoying) but after getting another 3ds i stopped holding the circle pad like i used too.

also whats the eraser trick?

I'm facing the exact "issue" nice to know that I'm not really the only one, and yeah, it only shows up when you tilt it a little, which is bugging me to no end right now, since I discovered it today, my 3DS is a little over a year old.

The thing is that my nail never touched it, and the dent is vertical.

The eraser trick is basically use a kneaded eraser to remove some light marks on the circle pad, it worked wonderfully for the small scratches but that weird smudge looking dent isn't going anywhere.

I'm asking because I don't know if it will get worse, I don't feel it at all while playing, just hope it will keep it that way for a long time.

Social Links huh?
Well,
P3
Best: Akinari. I actually looked forward to Sundays ingame just to talk to this dude.
Worst: Nozomi. Don't get me wrong Kenji's is awful, but his doesn't even compare to the mountain of shit that Nozomi's is. Everything from his portrait to personality pissed me off, and I felt like any time I spent with him was wasted.

P4
Best: Naoki. I honestly really loved his. What I thought would be a whiny dude, turned out to be a pretty endearing guy.
Worst: Margaret/Fox: I didn't feel any real social elements here, and felt that they were just added to fill up arcana, their gameplay portions were annoying as hell too.

abrack08

Social link ranks:

P3
Best - Tie between Maya and Maiko. If I HAD to choose, probably Maiko. I was legitimately teary eyed at the end of hers.
Worst - The student council guy. Yeah, that's right, not Kenji. I don't even remember his name, but the students council dude is literally the only SLink I intentionally stopped doing because I didn't like the character. Maybe he gest better, but ranks 1-3 he sucks.
Unhinorable mention - also not a fan of Bebe

P4
Best - having a hard time thinking of a standout. I think, overall, the Links in P4 are better than P3, fewer duds, but I don't have a standout favorite. Nanako, Adachi, Chie, Yosuke, Kanji, Dojima are all pretty good, but my favorite 3 or 4 are all from P3
Worst - Hasano. Wasn't really bad, but I never wanted to hang out with her. When I'm planning my day, "help an old woman I barely know stop feeling guilty about her husband's death" is low on my list of fun things to do.

CorvoSol

Hello~

I was gone for a month and the only ground I covered in Persona 2 Eternal Punishment was like, Club Zodiac. I am a bad person.

RedGraveXIII

Neo Member
social links social links social links

P3
Best: Aigis, she's such an endearing character. I thought her existential crisis was very well done, her desire to become a human was heartbreaking. As far as character dynamics go, I find Makoto's and Aigis's relationship to be one of the most interesting in the Persona series.
Maya, for obvious reasons.
Akinari,
his social link was all about coping with the inevitability of death which is P3 in a nutshell. Memento mori.
Honorable Mention: Maiko, she was cute.

Worst: Bunkichi and Mitsuko, Not a bad social link but I just found it boring. Who wants to hang out with old people?

P4
Best: Kanji. The guy has a heart of gold, it's hard not to root for him. Helping him overcome his insecurities was one of my favorite moments of P4.
Ai. Didn't think I would like this one as much as I did. Ai's situation seemed very true to life, a vulnerable girl hiding behind a mean bitch facade.
Teddie. Watching this strange bear creature make friends and find meaning in life gave me warm, fuzzy feelings.
Adachi. It's not that the social link itself was particularly good, but I thought it was great how it tied into the story. Adachi having a social link made him being the culprit way less obvious. That note he sends you after maxing out his social link was also great.
Nanako, no explanation needed.

Dantis

Sayoko's social link goes to complete shit when the sex-well dries up. I'm not even joking. Because even if it was lowbrow and somewhat creepy, it was at least entertaining.

Her social link offers nothing of value. It's just dull and uninspired, and filled with platitudes about life. I love how she gets this huge epiphany towards the end, and acts like the protagonist made her realize the errors of her ways or some shit. You don't do a damn thing.

...I liked it.

:(

Rhapsody

Banned
Well at least you need some substance to flesh out the characters, Sayoko's one of the worst.

Marge and Fox at least had sidequests to keep it going, I gave my reasons earlier.

Yeah, I didn't really like this S Link too much. Wasn't even written that well enough to make it too interesting to me. It was just kinda there, and I didn't really feel for the character's problem too much. The shift after the first few S Links was a drastic change too, so it didn't feel like it attributed to anything.

At least it was easy to get out of the way and finish.

Jintor

I think it's a structural problem with the way social links are written as of P4 (one-on-one stuff mainly that doesn't necessarily reflect how you naturally spend time with most people irl)

tumblr_n7588djKCI1si48w3o1_500.png

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Seems like I'm the only person who liked Naoki's social link. As for worst, can't say I particularly cared about Shu. And Marie is just awful, obviously.

Velcro Fly

I love Dojima and Nanako's links. I think finding Marie's poetry is worse than her social link. I do like Naoki's link too. I can relate to Chie's growth during her link so I like her link as well.

Worst for P4 has to be picking Yumi for Sun. She's so whiny and seems to almost hate you that I could never romance her. Even with Sayoko when you are just standing there listening to her problems most of the time she's at least grateful. Yumi rubbed me the wrong way.

As for P3, I loved the old couple and the monk in the bar. I loved spending time with the old couple and I loved picking away at the rough exterior of Mutatsu to reveal his hidden pain and finally pushing him in the direction of redemption. Also loved Maiko and Maya.

I wasn't fond of Moon. It's been awhile since I've played but I remember not liking him. Kenji is honestly so bad it's funny. I always looked at him like a joke.

Seems like I'm the only person who liked Naoki's social link. As for worst, can't say I particularly cared about Shu. And Marie is just awful, obviously.

Definitely my favorite link in Persona 4, so you are not alone! I don't know too many people who do like it though.

Don't kill me for this, but while I like social links and the idea of them, I find myself bored when I get to the middle of the ranks 75% of the time. The beginning and ending are usually good, but I feel like ranks 3-6/7 are barely indistinguishable from each for me with a major portion of the links. Edit: Another thing about social links, is that while I do enjoy them, I definitely don't enjoy going through them a 3rd or 4th time in subsequent playthroughs. I can only hope that, if links are back for 5, they have variations to go through much like the Sun or Strength links in 4.

CorvoSol

If it makes you feel any better, I started EP right after IS like five months ago, and I've only recently beaten the asylum.

Definitely one of those games that I'm like "I could play this BUT"

Meanwhile I'm vicariously playing P4G again through my little bro. So good.

Tomorrow is my birthday.
Happy birthday Dantis!
On the topic of social links, for me it's kinda hard to just pick a few. I feel like they all add on to the experience... But let me try to narrow things down a bit.
P3: Yukari, Aigis and Maiko I along with Akinari and maybe even the elderly couple from the book store. All great stories. Did not care for Kenji or the food King too much. Also the Council president guy.
P4: This one is full of social links that I like even though this isn't my favorite of the two games. I mean it has standouts like Dojima, Nanako, Yosuke, Chie, heck even Yukiko and definitely Ai. Was a little bored with Rise but she's cool too. I can't really think of any social links that I was just like "Urgh what a slog" lol. Persona 3 had some if those, but the world, the theme and tone around the game just won me over. Just like in real life there were some people that just didn't click with me I guess aha.

Caladrius

Happy Birthday Captain Dantis!

Yeah, I didn't really like this S Link too much. Wasn't even written that well enough to make it too interesting to me. It was just kinda there, and I didn't really feel for the character's problem too much. The shift after the first few S Links was a drastic change too, so it didn't feel like it attributed to anything.

At least it was easy to get out of the way and finish.

Beelzebub was a damn good prize though.

If nothing else the Social Links almost always gave great Personers.

Moonlight

Banned
Never was much a fan of Shu's social link (but I thought it really improved near the end), but god damn Yoshitsune was worth it and more.

Sophia

...Wait. I need to max out Tower if I want Yoshitsune, right?

Fuuuuuck

No you don't. Yoshitsune is a special spread fusion, but not the ultimate Persona. Shiva is the ultimate of the Tower Arcana. Moon was probably referring to the ludicrous bonus experience.

Kssio_Aug

Is there any way to see all my ultimate S. Link Personas receipts? Because I have a bunch of maxed out S. Links already on P4G and I have no clue how to make a Ultimate Persona.

If thats impossible in the game, is there a recommended wiki for this stiff?

Thanks!

Oxiderous

Neo Member
Never was much a fan of Shu's social link (but I thought it really improved near the end), but god damn Yoshitsune was worth it and more.
I feel like the mileage for this S.Link may vary depending on your cultural context.

For us Asians, we place high importance on academics. We feel great when our parents are able to walk around and tout that their child is a natural genius. On the other hand, we will be guilt-tripping all over the place if we do less than expected.

Even though I can't personally relate to Shu, I felt that his story could have happened to any one of my friends.
Except that Shu still had a supportive family when he got caught and he didn't wind up taking his own life, unlike the cases that I know.

Maybe it may be my international naiveté, but I don't expect Westerners to have the same cultural understanding for this S.Link to work on an emotional level.

Marche90

No you don't. Yoshitsune is a special spread fusion, but not the ultimate Persona. Shiva is the ultimate of the Tower Arcana. Moon was probably referring to the ludicrous bonus experience.

Perhaps. Moonlight's comment made me thought that there was a Persona needed to fuse Yoshitsune locked behind the S.link, actually.

I searched for a Naoto cake and birthday image and ran into catsuit. H-Happy birthday…

I usually recommend Naoki's link. I thought it was really well-done,
helping a classmate overcome the societal difficulties and prejudices pushed upon him on the event of his sister's death, and having him come to terms with that loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom