• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
l56iN1O.jpg

So, I think I wanna start collecting gaming merchandise and other knick knacks, and what a better place to start than with Persona 4?

Can anyone help me out? I only want official shit, no fan made stuff, unless it's VERY good.

What kinda merch do you guys have?
All I have is this wall scroll P4 The Animation and Elizabeth figure
As for looking for this stuff, you might need to look around (Both Japanese and English websites), most likely if you do wanna buy stuff it's not gonna be cheap along with if you want to certain things like figures and such, you maybe paying over $100 just for one figure.

CorvoSol

Guess this means we get to go back to Yukiko being a robot as the best WMG.

As further evidence that Yukiko's headband means she is a robot, lemme point out R. Dorothy Wayneright of anime Batman The Big O:

If you've read any Asimov, you know that R. stands for robot. And you'll notice that she's sporting, that's right, a headband.

Just like Yukiko.

Note that Yukiko has always had that headband on:

But look she's younger there!

Optic-camoflauge, friend.

What about her feet?

Optic Camo.

What about

OPTIC. CAMEL. FLAUGE.

Jintor

Someone's pointed out that Yu just conjured glasses out of nowhere in that P4GA episode, right

What? Teddie gave them to him

Yeah for all of its pacing issues and contracted art by a kindergarten class, it was still pretty enjoyable overall, and gave Yu a pretty neat personality.

Just meant for that particular scene, not overall, even though it has the really good summer vacation episode.

Rhapsody

Banned
Just saw P4GA's first episode. I kept my expectations rather low, so I'm pretty impressed.

And wow, I forgot that Marie was voiced by Kana Hanazawa lol I love it.

Plus the art was miles and miles better than the previous anime. There were some shots that had the character designs look simple and plain, but I'd take any of those compared to what we got before.

Jintor

Odds on:

A) Montage at beginning with explanatory voiceover
B) Persona 4 The Animation played at ridiculous fast forward speed like on a VCR

Rhapsody

Banned
Reading the P4GA thread's pretty amusing. People whining about the pacing?

Covering the whole story that's already had an anime isn't exactly the main goal of this series lol

Squire

Banned
Reading the P4GA thread's pretty amusing. People whining about the pacing?

Covering the whole story that's already had an anime isn't exactly the main goal of this series lol

That doesn't excuse poor pacing in the slightest.

Like, I haven't seen it yet (sounds like I'll either love it or hate it), but if the show is poorly paced, that's kind of it. Their goals and whether or not the audience is familiar with the story is irrelevant.

The Sound of Music is a three hour film and I sit through it every time I watch it, not fast-forward 'cause I've seen it a thousand times. The pacing is part of the reason I like it.

Jintor

I don't think it's poorly paced for the people who are likely watching it, i.e. people who already know the story and what's going on.

it's horrifically paced for newcomers but it's not a newcomer kind of show, so, like, whatever

Squire

Banned
I don't think it's poorly paced for the people who are likely watching it, i.e. people who already know the story and what's going on.

it's horrifically paced for newcomers but it's not a newcomer kind of show, so, like, whatever

That's part of why I think I might like it. It sounds like New Game+. People are using that to describe it and that's certainly the angle I'll approach it from, but then, I still sympathize with Moonlight and other people criticizing the pacing. I thought the first series was poorly paced.

Rhapsody

Banned
That doesn't excuse poor pacing in the slightest.

Like, I haven't seen it yet (sounds like I'll either love it or hate it), but if the show is poorly paced, that's kind of it. Their goals and whether or not the audience is familiar with the story is irrelevant.

The Sound of Music is a three hour film and I sit through it every time I watch it, not fast-forward 'cause I've seen it a thousand times. The pacing is part of the reason I like it.

The first episode ended where the first anime did with the fight. The events about Saki and stuff were removed for the first ep.
Golden anime's tone is definitely different and they're not trying to focus on the serious murder aspects.

I never expected this anime to retell P4 and add Marie in. It's more like they're just showing off the setting and characters before getting to the Golden content.

I don't even think P4GA is going to go through all of the stories with each party member tbh.

Oxiderous

Neo Member
TBH, if P4GA was another retelling of Persona 4, it would be really disappointing. So what was the next best thing they could have done was to fanservice it up.

Dantis

Just imagine, in the new game+ nobody is kidnapped and nobdy dies.

tumblr_mk70dqD8gc1rocqqpo1_250.gif

I wouldnt say no just to see Saki and King Moron alive. Happy go lucky Yosuke all the time cause Saki isnt dead, Morooka tandem teacher with Kashiwagi.
No plot at all! lol

Just do it for shits and gigles!

That would actually be really cool.
I agree with you completely. I like how the anime opening is almost the same as the game opening, but I don't like how Narukami kinda ignores Chie and Yosuke for his NG+ playthrough.

I don't know if this has been stated before, but what's the point of this anime? To promote P4G to the people who haven't played it? Or perhaps, the upcoming P4 games (P4U2, P4D)?

It feels like they wanted to do something Persona 4 related, but are running out of ideas to me.

P4GA glorifies Yu to extreme levels now.
Can't wait for Marie/Yu OTP greatness.

Yeah... It's kinda weird.

wmlk

P4GA should of just been some OVA's about the Golden content.

Should have been a proper OVA of Episode 26 and the True Ending, without Marie.

I wouldn't mind Marie in this if she hadn't been shoehorned in. That's what it seems like right now. I guess it's less so about Narukami being a neutral character this time around.

Yeah, I've only played P3 and P4, but I also want new stuff about P1 and P2. I already bought them and I will play them soon. At least I have read the manga from P1 and the story was great. I'm pretty sure that an anime from those games would be great but Atlus doesn't want to take risks it seems.

Yeah, I've only played P3 and P4, but I also want new stuff about P1 and P2. I already bought them and I will play them soon. At least I have read the manga from P1 and the story was great. I'm pretty sure that an anime from those games would be great but Atlus doesn't want to take risks it seems.
Would it really be a risk though? The problem of those games, from what I have heard, is the gameplay, while story and characters are really great. In anime form those would shine and they could "remove" the gameplay. They probably won't do it, but I think it would work out really well.

FluxWaveZ

Atlus will be going on a P4U2 tour just like they did with PQ, where people will be able to play the console version of P4AU starting July 19, with characters Rise and Ken available (but not the DLC character). New hyperlink tab was added to the bottom of the website, so I guess they'll just add and remove at their leisure.

Next PSC episode will apparently be on July 25.

My thoughts on P4GA.

-The director probably wanted to base the story of New Game Plus, which explains why Yu, with his maximum courage, was able to slap down Mr. Maronaka.
-Great, now Izanagi somehow retains it's ultimate power abilities.
-As for the pacing issues, the director probably wanted to show what happens in a New Game Plus playthrough, thereby where the player presses the skip button on the Vita and fastfoward through all the old parts to get to the new stuff as quick as possible since no one needs to reread the old parts right.
-Next episode: Costumes and more Marie, "Hagle, hagle." (Or was it "Hackle, hackle." I can't remember.)

-As for the pacing issues, the director probably wanted to show what happens in a New Game Plus playthrough, thereby where the player presses the skip button on the Vita and fastfoward through all the old parts to get to the new stuff as quick as possible since no one needs to reread the old parts right.
That's the feeling I got as well. In particular when the first shadows appear it seems like it skipped the discussion inside the room to get to the action.

I ended up being preoccupied with..something else last night so I didn't watch it.

And after reading the last few pages I'm not too sure I really want to. I might save the episode for a rainy day.

TimmiT

Is the P4G anime actually meant to be a NG+ playthrough, or is that being overexaggerated?

More generally, is it worth watching either way?

Well, Yu generally acts as if he knows what's going to happen already and Izanagi is incredibly powerful at the start. I'd be surprised if it wasn't meant to be a NG+ playthrough.

And I'd say it's worth watching if you like Persona 4. It's really just fanservice + Golden stuff added.

I'd say it's something that's just there, this season there's a whole bunch of good stuff to watch already. P4GA won't show you anything new if you already played the game, but it's fun to watch just to see what they do with the characters. I wouldn't even be able to rate it, like it was said, its a "comfort food" show. After saying this whether you watch or not it's up to you really.

Yep.
Like I dont need to know every little detail anymore. Without it Ive understand perfectly what happens in every scene and why they are going so fast.
A newcomer must be baffled, but yeah, it's not a newcomer friendly show, and I dont think it was ever intended to be. You want to know the whole story, you already have a servicable anime and an amazing game.

Would love to see some details change to give us surprises. I really like the new game + idea with izanagi hacks.

koutoru

It's a shame because the anime trailer for Eternal Punishment on PS1 looked pretty good even back then.

Would definitely like to see a full series for it, but I'm getting the impression Atlus wants people who only have played or are only interested in P3/4 to feel like they don't need to go back and play P1/P2 even from a narrative standpoint.

I'd say it's something that's just there, this season there's a whole bunch of good stuff to watch already. P4GA won't show you anything new if you already played the game, but it's fun to watch just to see what they do with the characters. I wouldn't even be able to rate it, like it was said, its a "comfort food" show. After saying this whether you watch or not it's up to you really.

Barakamon and Terror in Resonance should be at the top of everyone's list. I agree good season.

Barakamon and Terror in Resonance should be at the top of everyone's list. I agree good season.
That show man... so much friggin potential... Tokyo Ghoul (if you have the stomach for the weird) is top notch, Aldnoah.Zero, looks promising as heck (I mean look up the director's/studio's other works... nuff said) and obviously SAO II. Idk why people say that summer seasons are bad.

pls, it's all about that gekkan shoujo
LOL my "easy to digest, watch it after getting home from work on Sunday" show. It is hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom