• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I'm about to give up on Persona 4: Golden. =;(

I have played it for 9 hours and I'm stuck at Yukiko's shadow. I really don't know what I do and I know she's weak to ice and then it gets even tougher when she spawns her little doll and it begins to restore her health.

I can't even leave the tv to restock, as the fog will settle and end the game.

I need help urgently. =(

this hasn't ever happened to me but if the fog settles, I'm told the game allows you to go back a week in time.

but if you manage your resources effectively, you can level up in one day to beat Shadow Yukiko. Like the above poster said, you should be around the mid teens.

Pachimari

this hasn't ever happened to me but if the fog settles, I'm told the game allows you to go back a week in time.

but if you manage your resources effectively, you can level up in one day to beat Shadow Yukiko. Like the above poster said, you should be around the mid teens.
Oh now that you say so, I can go back one week. But will I lose all the items and exp/lvl I have gathered?

Dantis

Right now I'm level 11. I can't restore SP either.

Right, so what you want to do is run around and grab some SP items to restore your SP. They're reasonably easy to find in chests. Then you need to level up to about 14.

Worst case scenario is that you can let time run out, which rolls the clock back a week, which will give you more time to sort yourself out, but you obviously lose everything you've done since that point.

BmjveGTCIAEKUhp.png:large
Snrk

Dantis

Persona Q is not canon right?

They haven't said, and they probably won't do.

The only time that Hashino has ever actually said that something is or isn't canon is when he said Trinity Soul wasn't a part of the continuity.

I think in their eyes, it doesn't matter, as long as the product is up to a certain standard. I think Trinity Soul was probably excluded because Atlus didn't have anything to do with it.

Probably not, but I wouldn't put it past Atlus. There's no official statement yet.

They haven't said, and they probably won't do.

The only time that Hashino has ever actually said that something is or isn't canon is when he said Trinity Soul wasn't a part of the continuity.

I think in their eyes, it doesn't matter, as long as the product is up to a certain standard. I think Trinity Soul was probably excluded because Atlus didn't have anything to do with it.

Oh god. I think the fans are taking it as not canon right now (?) and I hope Atlus says it is too. How else do the P3/4 cast not know each other in Arena? Memory loss?

It just seems like a fan service game just like Dancing all Night.

Dantis

Oh god. I think the fans are taking it as not canon right now (?) and I hope Atlus says it is too. How else do the P3/4 cast not know each other in Arena? Memory loss?

1) Memory loss.

2) Dancing All Night is presumed to be canonical.

kewlmyc

People are thinking that the end of PQ will have them say some shit about eternal friendship (we'll never forget each other), then lose their memories.

Also Dancing all Night is canon. Hell, P4AU might be leading up to Dancing all Night if scans are anything to go off of.

Meia

Oh now that you say so, I can go back one week. But will I lose all the items and exp/lvl I have gathered?

Pretty sure you will, but with better time management it won't matter too much.

Honestly, Yukiko's is probably the hardest dungeon in the entire game. You have no access to SP recovery really, you lack social links so your personas won't be very strong at this point, and you only have three members(without a real dedicated healer in the bunch).

Ideally, you get to a level where you can get a Persona with Media so you can heal everyone every turn, but it's probably not "needed". For me, I almost always make sure MC has a persona with resist physical, resist fire, media, and red wall for Chie, but this is likely vast overkill. I know there's a few personas at that point that can get Media though, so might not be bad to look into(Oberon is always the one I've used, but I never fought Yukiko below like lv17, again overkill).

P4U2 Arcadia tierlist is out. It's not what I was expecting.

S+: Yu
S: Aigis, Teddie, Yosuke, Shadow Labrys, Naoto, Sho
A: Mitsuru, Kanji, SHO, Yukari, Chie, Yukiko, Akihiko
B: Labrys, Junpei
C: Elizabeth

via: https://twitter.com/zankoku/status/461916605195120641

Thoughts?

First thought is they really have no idea what the fuck they're doing with Elizabeth, do they? Second is Junpei's gimmick(which is all it is) are probably making him underpowered by a bit.

Seeing that Yukari stuff reminds me--what the heck is up with her hair in the animated cutscenes in P3? I mean, the animated cutscenes themselves aren't exactly the prettiest things in the world, but Yukari's hair is just flat out completely off model.

I wonder if it was based on an older design, because in game her hair doesn't go past her shoulders, but for some reason in the animated cutscenes she has this big flowing mane coming out of the back of her head.

EDIT: The way they differentiate between the two Shos when writing them out is the dumbest damn thing.

Mdesilva

I will stick with "Sho" and "Other Sho."

EDIT: Is that the official localized way to refer to them though?
It's weirder.

The way everyone's said it since the arcade release was Sho (Normal) and SHO (Persona).

The "official localized way" is SHO Minazuki (Normal) and Sho MINAZUKI (Persona).

0_o

Thoughts?

Junpei being so low is a gorram disgrace. I'm still gonna main him anyway though, because I'm used to playing and winning with underpowered characters (like Tager and Nemesis) and because he's DA MAN.

Thoughts?

Dammit ASW, can you please nerf Narukami a little and BUFF the hell out of Elizabeth. Didn't you learn anything from Arena?

I know tiers are subjective, but from all the gameplay vids that ive seen, this list looks pretty accurate.

Narukami is my main btw.

Mdesilva

To be clear- this is a ranking of the amount of wins per character in the arcades. So the most popular characters can easily come out on top, and the good players can boost their character. Still not necessarily an unaccurate tierlist, just giving a disclaimer.

It's weirder.

The way everyone's said it since the arcade release was Sho (Normal) and SHO (Persona).

The "official localized way" is SHO Minazuki (Normal) and Sho MINAZUKI (Persona).

0_o
So uh, which one is higher tier than the other? I'm confused.

Sucks about Elizabeth. I'm pretty new to Arena but I could tell pretty early on that she seemed gimped compared to the rest of the cast. Does she have a proper non-awakened super yet?

Pachimari

Pretty sure you will, but with better time management it won't matter too much.

Honestly, Yukiko's is probably the hardest dungeon in the entire game. You have no access to SP recovery really, you lack social links so your personas won't be very strong at this point, and you only have three members(without a real dedicated healer in the bunch).

Ideally, you get to a level where you can get a Persona with Media so you can heal everyone every turn, but it's probably not "needed". For me, I almost always make sure MC has a persona with resist physical, resist fire, media, and red wall for Chie, but this is likely vast overkill. I know there's a few personas at that point that can get Media though, so might not be bad to look into(Oberon is always the one I've used, but I never fought Yukiko below like lv17, again overkill).

First thought is they really have no idea what the fuck they're doing with Elizabeth, do they? Second is Junpei's gimmick(which is all it is) are probably making him underpowered by a bit.
I'm actually just using the default Persona's and leveling them up giving all the new skills to my main character's persona.

Is this a bad idea?

I'll also look into a persona who have media but first I gotta jump back a week. Do I just level up in Yukiko's dungeon until I have reached a respectable level?

To be clear- this is a ranking of the amount of wins per character in the arcades. So the most popular characters can easily come out on top, and the good players can boost their character. Still not necessarily an unaccurate tierlist, just giving a disclaimer.

Well Japan clearly has something against Da Man, so it makes sense.

Lunar15

I was planning on not posting while at work, but I do have to say one thing.

*ahem*

Fuck Canon.

Thank you all for your time.

I'm actually just using the default Persona's and leveling them up giving all the new skills to my main character's persona.

Is this a bad idea?

I'll also look into a persona who have media but first I gotta jump back a week. Do I just level up in Yukiko's dungeon until I have reached a respectable level?
Do you mean Izanagi? There's no need to keep him, you should fuse more. I haven't used skill cards much (actually I think not even once in the first playthrough), fusion is essential though.
I'll have to say that not every persona will be as cool as him.

Meia

Is this a bad idea?

Kind of.

The way it works in the modern persona games, is the main character's personas work differently than your party member's. For them, they have one level, and that's their persona level. For the MC, it's two: His level itself, and the persona level. The persona level is what determines his stats, so it's important to keep "current" with whatever your MC is at, exp wise.

The MC's personas, on average, take 2.5x the amount of exp per level than the MC or your party members do. If you stick to one persona for too long, you're going to find your MC weaker than anyone else, a problem since if the MC dies it's an auto game-over.

Ideally, you create a new persona, the created persona is from an arcana with a high social link rank, so when you create it it gains 1-6 levels, so you don't need to level grind it a lot to get all of it's skills. Sadly, as I said with Yukiko's dungeon since it's the first, this isn't really a possibility. So yes, you kind of have to get a Persona, look at it's skills, and determine if you want to level it up. For the sake of time, I can tell you the persona Slime learns Resist Physical and Red Wall, while Ukobach learns Resist Fire. Of course, these abilities are like the last ones these things learn, so you have to grind a bit if you want to go this route.

Since you have to level grind a bit right now anyway to get your other characters higher in level(going into that fight with Chie having Mabufu for example will make the whole thing easier), this can at least give you something to shoot for. And yeah, at first hers is the only dungeon, so you have to kind of stay put. It helps if you keep "resetting" the floors. While shadows will constantly respawn on floors to help you grind, treasure chests don't, so if you're playing 4 Golden, there's no reason to ever stick to one floor for too long. This is a good way of farming SP recovery items too.

In the COMPLETE OVERKILL YOU DON'T NEED TO DO THIS department, usually I won't get to Chie until I'm like lv8 or something, and won't get to Yukiko til I'm level 17, with Oberon having the stated skills earlier. This usually means I'll be in her dungeon like 8 hours the first time(I only do it one trip usually). I know Oberon learns Media(and has a powerful physical move in Arm Chopper), but I *think* there's another early persona that gets it.

Dantis

I coloured a thing that I drew. Gonna bash out some sketches, then I think I might do some Dancing All Night art, because I'm obviously going to be really great at designing idol costumes.

Seeing that Yukari stuff reminds me--what the heck is up with her hair in the animated cutscenes in P3? I mean, the animated cutscenes themselves aren't exactly the prettiest things in the world, but Yukari's hair is just flat out completely off model.

I wonder if it was based on an older design, because in game her hair doesn't go past her shoulders, but for some reason in the animated cutscenes she has this big flowing mane coming out of the back of her head.

EDIT: The way they differentiate between the two Shos when writing them out is the dumbest damn thing.
I think the reason the two Shos are differentiated like that is because one is written in Kanji and one is in Katakana. On the other hand, I'm not sure where I've heard that, so maybe I made it up.

Sophia

I think the reason the two Shos are differentiated like that is because one is written in Kanji and one is in Katakana. On the other hand, I'm not sure where I've heard that, so maybe I made it up.

皆月 翔
ミナヅキ ショウ

Yup. Normal Sho has their name written in Kanji, PerSHOna has their name written in Kana.

That still seems pretty silly, as in either language the difference can't come up in the spoken word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom