• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

Ugh man, you people have no hearts. P4's ending got to me. Sure, it's not as... depressing... as P3's, but it's the finality and realization that your time in Inaba is over that tugs at your heartstrings.

I played P3 second, so I can see how playing P3 first might dull the impact of P4's, though.

I can't relate to your personal experiences, but without any sort of "permanence" to his leaving, it didn't really get to me. Like, I knew that he could easily get back to Inaba during a break or hell, even just call his friends. And then P4A demolishes it by having him come back a mere 2 months later.

Since it is an inevitability that P5 will have some sad/emotional ending, I hope they do a better job.

She needed to be added to the main cast earlier than
2 months before the end of the game. It makes her seem really out of place near the end when everyone is supposed to all sad that you're leaving.

Yea but remember the game skips forward like almost 4 months. Oh and P4G sort of helps Naoto a big with new events and such.

Ugh man, you people have no hearts. P4's ending got to me. Sure, it's not as... depressing... as P3's, but it's the finality and realization that your time in Inaba is over that tugs at your heartstrings.

I played P3 second, so I can see how playing P3 first might dull the impact of P4's, though.

I've only cried from two games

Both were written by Shigesato Itoi

I LOVE Persona 3 and 4, and they made me emotional, but didn't cry from them

CorvoSol

I've only cried from two games

Both were written by Shigesato Itoi

I LOVE Persona 3 and 4, and they made me emotional, but didn't cry from them

This is gonna make me sound like a heartless bastard but Mother 3 didn't wring a single tear from my eye. Neither did Mother 2, but that's not as much of a feels game as Mother 3.

I cried at the end of Persona 4, but I felt very little in that sense at the end of Persona 3. Mostly because I had known for ages how it was going to end and I kiiiiinda didn't like the way the game executed that final punch.

You know what game made me bawl though?

The motherfucking Wind Waker.

That game's ending is like a knife in my gut, every single time.

This is gonna make me sound like a heartless bastard but Mother 3 didn't wring a single tear from my eye. Neither did Mother 2, but that's not as much of a feels game as Mother 3.

I cried at the end of Persona 4, but I felt very little in that sense at the end of Persona 3. Mostly because I had known for ages how it was going to end and I kiiiiinda didn't like the way the game executed that final punch.

Wow you are a heartless bastard

jk bro but man you must be a rock if you didn't cry at Mother 3

Meia

I can't relate to your personal experiences, but without any sort of "permanence" to his leaving, it didn't really get to me. Like, I knew that he could easily get back to Inaba during a break or hell, even just call his friends. And then P4A demolishes it by having him come back a mere 2 months later.

Since it is an inevitability that P5 will have some sad/emotional ending, I hope they do a better job.

She needed to be added to the main cast earlier than
2 months before the end of the game. It makes her seem really out of place near the end when everyone is supposed to all sad that you're leaving.

It's not a matter of doing a "better job". P3 and P4 have very different things they both go for in terms of emotions, especially when the credits roll, and one you liked more than the other. That's not a bad thing, but it doesn't make one "wrong" in comparison to the other. :p

CorvoSol

Wow you are a heartless bastard

jk bro but man you must be a rock if you didn't cry at Mother 3

Haha, I think I got choked up during the sunflower field, but that'd be it. I used to never cry at stuff. After my stay in Brazil I've become a lot more I dunno, in tune with my feelings? I might cry if I replayed it, but I dunno.

I cried when FF4/FF6spoilers
Tellah and General Leo died
but then again I wasn't even 10 when I saw that stuff so yeah.

You know what would've made be cry my eyes out in Persona 3? Killing Koromaru. I cry like a wimp whenever people off dogs in stuff. That is my fucking kryptonite right there. I cannot watch stuff like Old Yeller or Where the Red Fern grows because of that.

Yea but remember the game skips forward like almost 4 months. Oh and P4G sort of helps Naoto a big with new events and such.

I can see that helping a lot. It's just the game the telling me we're like best friends forever after only 2 months of hanging out in-game it felt a bit weird.

It's not a matter of doing a "better job". P3 and P4 have very different things they both go for in terms of emotions, especially when the credits roll, and one you liked more than the other. That's not a bad thing, but it doesn't make one "wrong" in comparison to the other. :p

Well it doesn't help that I had recently been playing another famous JRPG with an ending similar to P3's lol. So I was just like "huh, that was it?" Also hopefully P5 gets enough funding to have a well-animated ending, kind of took me out of the experience a bit.

edit: I also want to say Corvo seeing the P3 finale as an actual fully animated cutscene makes it way more impactful than some VN looking crap. I watched it on Youtube, it was awful.

CorvoSol

Eh. P3 managed to do a lot of amazing story moments without cutscenes. The ending shouldn't have to rely on an anime clip to have an effect. That said, while I have my qualms with the game's ending, the key reason it didn't do shit was because I knew what was going to happen before I'd ever begun the game.

I cired at the end of Persona 4, too.
It was like Digimon Adventures all over again :'(

It was different with P3. At first, nothing happend, it was kind of a bittersweet feeling, but then I looked up the lyrics to Memories Of You and I cried like a baby while listening to the song again while reading the lyrics.

Acid08

Banned
The credits of P4 made me more emotional than the ending did. Just all of the memories of different moments from the game.

PK Gaming

The P4 ending didn't hit me until the non-investigation team links showed up

I mean, damn it's an undisputable fact that the investigation team will be Yu's bitches forever

But Ai? Shu? Kou? Daisuke? Their goodbyes were really poignant

Sophia

Not much new. It's mostly a recap, but there's some cool little details. You can apparently speed up battles and turn off the animations?

Five difficulty settings: Safety, Easy, Normal, Hard, Risky. You can change the difficulty at any time outside of combat. Safety lets you retry a battle immediately.

Apparently Koromaru is popular with the Investigation Team. :D

arue

For P3, I literally tear up everytime I see
the scene on the roof. Especially when you wipe away Aigis' tears.
It was more emotional in FES because you could see the character's actions, so I felt the ending was lacking in P3P when I first beat it.

Haven't finished P4 yet, so I can't tell my impression. But I from watching the gameplay and the anime, it feels bittersweet and less sad than P3's ending.

Not much new. It's mostly a recap, but there's some cool little details. You can apparently speed up battles and turn off the animations?

Five difficulty settings: Safety, Easy, Normal, Hard, Risky. You can change the difficulty at any time outside of combat. Safety lets you retry a battle immediately.

Good thing you can change difficulties at any time, because I suck at EO games.

Sophia

For P3, I literally tear up everytime I see
the scene on the roof. Especially when you wipe away Aigis tears.
It was more emotional in FES because you could see the character's actions, so I felt the ending was lacking in P3P when I first beat it.

The scene that makes me tear up is
Right after you beat the final boss, and the animated cutscene of Tartarus disappearing happens. The school bell chiming with everyone's reactions is just.... powerful. One of the legit few good anime scenes in the game.

Good thing you can change difficulties at any time, because I suck at EO games.

As previously confirmed, there's an automapping feature too. You still have to mark like doors and items, but the actual layout is done for you. They really want the game to be accessible to those who have neither played a Persona or an EO game.

P3's ending is depressing, and P4's ending isn't trying to be depressing--at least, not like P3's. They're different endings, I wouldn't compare them directly like that.

Concerning the S.Link epilogues,
in all honesty, I think they're pretty similar in both games, but in hindsight P3's come across as almost cruel.

arue

The scene that makes me tear up is
Right after you beat the final boss, and the animated cutscene of Tartarus disappearing happens. The school bell chiming with everyone's reactions is just.... powerful. One of the legit few good anime scenes in the game.

Kinda makes sense,
considering that's what your avatar did (tear up/cry) at that scene :p

About PQ, as long as it's as "hard" as Strange Journey, then I'm set. Except the automap feature, because I can't depend on automap for everything like in SJ.

Moonlight

Banned
I think the P3 epilogue S. Link that gets me the most when I think about it is
Ms. Toriumi's. Like... that was the last time she ever sees him? Harsh.

arue

The S.Link that hit me the most was Maiko's.
She promised to marry him in the future, but nope, you're dead.

Like Mamba said, P3's S.Links are just cruel because they promise to do these great thing with you in the future but they can't because you won't be there anymore.

Yeah, I can just imagine her becoming an absolute wreck. Like full on life reversal. Toriumi's is probably the worst, but some of the others were pretty bad too. The dateable S.Links had a tendency to talk about the future, for some needlessly cruel reason. And how depressed is that little girl whatshername going to be when she finds out that guy died?

I think the only S.Link epilogue that didn't make me feel somewhat depressed was Tanaka, because would he even seriously remember who that kid was, come on.

It's difficult to compare both endings. All I can say is that they were both appropriate and made me miss the game after I was done.

P4G:
I didn't really care for the epilogue in Golden though

Mdesilva

While neither game got me to tears, Persona 3 got me the closest. Even though I knew what was going to happen, it didn't fail to make me nearly break down.

The only game so far that I've cried over was Fire Emblem: Awakening.
The Avatar ending... I was crying so hard
A Link Between Worlds may have as made me cry as well but not enough that I remember.

LX_Theo

Banned
P4G certainly had me feeling the most feels when it had ended. It wasn't really sad, apart of the feeling that the journey had come full circle and no new adventures were to be had in the game. It was just an influx of emotions as a lot of the things I felt over the course of the game rebounded back to me and made a really, really spectacular moment. Its a tricky reason for really liking the ending, since I can see many people simply not getting that influx if the end doesn't hit you just right.

The only game that brought any semblance of tears to me was The Walking Dead season 1. For those who've played it, you know why.

All I'm hoping from playing the game is that difficulty will have some challenge to it instead of meaning that the enemies are just harder to hit and taking more damage being on a higher difficulty level. like chances of status effects hitting party members or enemies, hama and mudo hit rate, and the such.
This doesn't mean I want it like Dark Souls hard, but more of a tough but fair kind of challenge.

The only game that brought any semblance of tears to me was The Walking Dead season 1. For those who've played it, you know why.
Yeah, I don't remember actually crying after a game but there are certain scenes which brought me real close. The Walking Dead was one of those games, along with Left Behind and DanganRonpa 2. Now that I think about it even Birth By Sleep ending was pretty sad.
Can't remember any other game at the moment.
Also inFamous Second Son spoilers:
Reggie's death hit me pretty hard. I was expecting it from the start (it kinda always happens when there's this kind of relationship from the start, doesn't it?) but the way it was done was very powerful imho.

CorvoSol

Koro should be popular with EVERYONE. He's a doggie with psychic powers and unlike every other character I've met in the series, Koro doesn't need to transform his dogsona.

Cuz he's mature as hell already. Like, I bet his mom was a bitch and everything.

PK Gaming

...except Kanji

His relationship with Koro is totally an allegory for desperate guys/girls who overexert themselves and turn off their partners

Dantis

P4's ending is my favorite ending of any game, I think. Just completely perfect.

I thought Golden's extended ending messed up the pace too much and actually made it weaker if you were playing for the first time though (Even though I loved the actual epilogue).

It probably doesn't help that by the end of P4 I was actually looking forward to it ending because holy shit I was tired of running through yet another shitty dungeon... which I guess I don't really remember feeling that near the end of FES, so uh idk. Personal preferences and all that.

But yea Atlus, way to be assholes with
the ending S. Link conversations. And then none of your friends remember all the shit you went through until mere moments before you die. And then that ending theme happens and all the feels come rushing in.

CorvoSol

P3's Tartarus was such shit compared to P4's dungeons. At least P4's dungeons changed the fucking tunes every 10 floors. P3's Tartarus was 260 floors of the same shitty bass beat unless you begged Fuuka to change the music for you.

Dantis

P3's Tartarus was such shit compared to P4's dungeons. At least P4's dungeons changed the fucking tunes every 10 floors. P3's Tartarus was 260 floors of the same shitty bass beat unless you begged Fuuka to change the music for you.

The music in Tartarus actually changes progressively.

Not to say that it isn't repetitive, but what it starts as and what it ends as are pretty different.

CorvoSol

The music in Tartarus actually changes progressively.

Not to say that it isn't repetitive, but what it starts as and what it ends as are pretty different.

Yes but

Yeah but it's all variations on a single theme

This, basically. It might be "different" but it really isn't. The thing Tartarus has going for it is that some of the upper levels look trippy as heck. But as far as music goes what a disappointment that dungeon was.

Honestly they both suck, P4 just had less floors and an actual sense of accomplishment for getting to a certain floor/completing a dungeon. P3 has the advantage of actually being mildly challenging to the end and having a long, intense boss fight. In P4 I was fucking annihilating everything once Summer was over and it got really boring.

pariah164

I don't usually cry over games, but it has happened.

P4G - teary-eyed, but no bawling.
Link Between Worlds - teeeears
FFX - BAWLING LIKE A BABY and it happened again with the remake

hao chi

The only game that brought me almost to tears was Gears of War when
Dom
dies.

We love you man.

I actually burst out laughing during this scene. Luckily my friend that I was playing coop with had already beaten the game, because he probably would have been mad at me for ruining the moment. :p

Yes but

This, basically. It might be "different" but it really isn't. The thing Tartarus has going for it is that some of the upper levels look trippy as heck. But as far as music goes what a disappointment that dungeon was.

And if you're playing the original PSN version, the last block even gives out complimentary seizures to reduce the monotony, because Atlus is nice like that.

Guess Who

Banned
I always jam the Snow Queen theme in that rainbow-disco block of Tartarus and Maya's Theme for the final block.

God bless Fuuka's alternate soundtrack options because that CHEECHAW CHEECHAW CHEECHAW shit gets old after a hundred floors.

CorvoSol

I always jam the Snow Queen theme in that rainbow-disco block of Tartarus and Maya's Theme for the final block.

God bless Fuuka's alternate soundtrack options because that CHEECHAW CHEECHAW CHEECHAW shit gets old after a hundred floors.

I jammed to those, too, but after a hundred floors all five options became sorta bleh.

I actually burst out laughing during this scene. Luckily my friend that I was playing coop with had already beaten the game, because he probably would have been mad at me for ruining the moment. :p

I was only kidding :p

I don't think a game has ever made me cry, or even close to it.

I'm just a heartless
bastard
really.

hao chi

I was only kidding :p

I don't think a game has ever made me cry, or even close to it.

I'm just a heartless
bastard
really.

Ah, gotcha. Well, unfortunately, I wasn't kidding. The friend I mentioned praised Bayonetta for its story and character development, so I imagine he was at least somewhat invested in Gears' story and characters. :p

Ah, gotcha. Well, unfortunately, I wasn't kidding. The friend I mentioned praised Bayonetta for its story and character development, so I imagine he was at least somewhat invested in Gears' story and characters. :p

Ha, someone has to love it I guess. I did very much get invested in the Gears story and played all 4 quite alot. But not once did I care about the bearded gardener and his bandanna lover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom