• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Marie... this is what you wanted, right?

This is my persona I made for you

8g35x3W.jpg

Sophia

Wasnt
Takaya
kind of a dick til the end?

Same with
Mitsuo
, he never redeemed himself.

Or
Ikutsuki
or
Maya Okamura
. Or lots of other antagonists in the series, really. Heck, if we're sticking to just vanilla Persona 4, then
technically Izanami too. There was no "redemption" for her, it was just her going "okay you proved your point, but I'm still right and you might see this in the future" kind of stuff.

Lunar15

Honestly, any time a rival character says "friendship is stupid!" and is not presented to be the main antagonist of the story (Sho is clearly not the main antagonist, someone else is pulling the strings), it's basically a guarantee that by the end of the story they will not only have learned more about the power of friendship, they will probably, if not reluctantly, make friends themselves.

This is textbook shounen, people.

Meanwhile, (P3 spoilers):
Ikutsuki gets around this because he wasn't revealed to be against friendship from the start. His character is built around his twist, hence why he can go mad without receiving redemption.

Like I said, there's two Sho's: One to be redeemed and one to actually be the big bad.

Weiss

Banned
Wasnt
Takaya
kind of a dick til the end?

Same with
Mitsuo
, he never redeemed himself.

Those two I would argue are more tragic and pathetic, respectively.

The former
has his life stolen from him and is forced to take life shortening drugs so his Persona doesn't murder him in his sleep. He's unrepentant of his actions, but he never would have gotten to that point on his own.
The latter, meanwhile
is motivated just to get some attention. He's a pathetic rat with no redeeming qualities, but his murder of Morooka was something he did less out of malice and more of an all consuming desire to be important.

Persona hasn't done all out, balls to the wall evil yet with any of its characters, even
the culprit of P4 ultimately ends up giving you a clue to finding the truth.

The former
has his life stolen from him and is forced to take life shortening drugs so his Persona doesn't murder him in his sleep. He's unrepentant of his actions, but he never would have gotten to that point on his own.
The latter, meanwhile
is motivated just to get some attention. He's a pathetic rat with no redeeming qualities, but his murder of Morooka was something he did less out of malice and more of an all consuming desire to be important.

Persona hasn't done all out, balls to the wall evil yet with any of its characters, even

P2

Sophia

r.i.p. Persona 1 and Persona 2.

r.i.p
Night Queen, Pandora, Tomomi Fujimori, King Leo, Hitler, Maya Okamura, Nyarlathotep.

Worse than dead, forgotten. ;_;

The former

Oh, my heart weeps. *spits on the ground*
He was a free man. He chose to be an asshole.

CorvoSol

Marie... this is what you wanted, right?

This is my persona I made for you

Oh my God.

I honestly find it crazy that P2 and Soul Hackers came out pretty close to each other. Soul Hackers has such superior combat to P2 you can't even really compare them.

Soul Hackers is the one with the lime green hair chick in the black bike suit, right?

Every time.

Yeah, Adolf Hitler was a really-

DAMMIT.

PK Gaming

Why not? Wouldn't be the first time in the franchise a character has gone down without redemption.

It's just a hunch based on experience. I seriously doubt they'll treat him like the villains you listed for a few reasons:

1. His backstory. The villains you mentioned have little to no backstory.
2. His relevance to the story is much more significant than the characters you listed.
3. He's a victim, which in turn makes him sympathetic.
4. The villains you listed were plot devices. A means to an end. You could barely call them fully fledged characters.
5. He hasn't done anything super unforgivable. (yet)
6. He isn't designed to look ugly / visually unappealing. His design doesn't scream "a villain that'll go down with the ship." You only have to compare him to someone like
Mitsuo
to see what I mean.

Mitsuru vs. Sho:
"You too are a victim of the Kirijo Group's actions...I swore that I never let such an error happen again!"

Yu vs. Minazuki:
"If our paths had been slightly different, I might have been you."

And let's be real here. You really think a character like Sho is going to go down without doing something? His visual design is textbook rival character.

I mean look at this screenshot:

P4AU-English-Footage.png

(Yu: I'll make you see the error of your ways grrrrrr!)

You cannot tell me with a straight face that they won't do something meaningful with his character.(besides "going down with the ship"). Hell no. I refuse to accept it. It won't wash.

It's true we know nothing about his backstory, but you're not providing good reasoning as to why you think he's going to do a heel-face turn. On the other hand, I'm at least using the presented evidence judging from his personality in trailers and how the writers have handled previous antagonists. Of course, it could all be a red herring. But it would take some exceptional writing for Atlus to pull that off (of which I'll give them kudos should they do so.)

I'm going to be blunt; his personality in the trailer is irrelevant. His attitude in the trailer does not preclude him for heel-face turning. It does not preclude him from pulling a big damn heroes moment. It does not preclude him sacrificing himself. The trailer a preliminary look at it his character. Taking his initial personality and using it as some truth to determine what will happen to him is pointless. It's like assuming
Joker's
original personality and being certain that he'll spend the rest of the game as villain, and we all know how that turned out.

I mean, all I got are hunches. But for some reason... I feel like i'm going to be right in the end.

Honestly, any time a rival character says "friendship is stupid!" and is not presented to be the main antagonist of the story (Sho is clearly not the main antagonist, someone else is pulling the strings), it's basically a guarantee that by the end of the story they will not only have learned more about the power of friendship, they will probably, if not reluctantly, make friends themselves.

This is textbook shounen, people.

Meanwhile, (P3 spoilers):
Ikutsuki gets around this because he wasn't revealed to be against friendship from the start. His character is built around his twist, hence why he can go mad without receiving redemption.

Like I said, there's two Sho's: One to be redeemed and one to actually be the big bad.

This. It's anime 101, lol.

Dantis

Hey look, a spoiler

Don't bother spoiler-tagging this, mate. Rules don't apply tonight.

Or
Ikutsuki
or
Maya Okamura
. Or lots of other antagonists in the series, really. Heck, if we're sticking to just vanilla Persona 4, then
technically Izanami too. There was no "redemption" for her, it was just her going "okay you proved your point, but I'm still right and you might see this in the future" kind of stuff.

You're not wrong, but I don't think it will apply to Sho. I am sincerely expecting redemption.

Weiss

Banned

You should play P2.

P2 Spoiler:
What about Hitler?
Edit: ^This guy.

r.i.p. Persona 1 and Persona 2.

r.i.p
Night Queen, Pandora, Tomomi Fujimori, King Leo, Hitler, Maya Okamura, Nyarlathotep.

Worse than dead, forgotten. ;_;

I just got all-out-attacked by PersonaGAF.

I was more referring to the human antagonists of the series, but, yeah,
Nyarlathotep
throws a wrench in that statement, but even with him
he's born of every single malevolent thought and action of humanity. Evil is kind of hard bred into him.

Sophia

I just got all-out-attacked by PersonaGAF.

I was more referring to the human antagonists of the series, but, yeah,
Nyarlathotep
throws a wrench in that statement, but even with him
he's born of every single malevolent thought and action of humanity. Evil is kind of hard bred into him.

Bu... but.... half the people in my list are human!

brb gonna go cry in the corner of woe with buddha and a few others. ;_;

In regards to Persona 3 tho:
Takaya is a murdering asshole with no redeeming qualities even before he tries to end the world

Musolf815

1. Persona 4 Golden
2. Sly 2: Band of Thieves
3. MNOG
4. Infamous
5. Here Comes the Pain

Some of them like Sly and Infamous, I like all the games in the series (I really like Sucker Punch's stuff, the specific favorite of those games changes all the time.

CorvoSol

Bu... but.... half the people in my list are human!

brb gonna go cry in the corner of woe with buddha and a few others. ;_;

In regards to Persona 3 tho:
Takaya is a murdering asshole with no redeeming qualities even before he tries to end the world

No way. Have you seen his hair? Just about the most redeeming quality in the entire franchise right there.

Setsu00

Don't worry everyone, Sho will be rescued by Yu Narukami and the power of friendship!

I seriously hope that he ends up like
Mitsuo
, but a little worse.

Levito

Banned
I honestly find it crazy that P2 and Soul Hackers came out pretty close to each other. Soul Hackers has such superior combat to P2 you can't even really compare them.

It's the most appropriate comparison because of that, not to mention the whole fact that they're both spin offs of the same series.

When a game like Chrono Trigger exists, one that's nearly 20 years old and still plays great, how old an RPG is can only be so much of an excuse for certain faults.

Don't worry everyone, Sho will be rescued by Yu Narukami and the power of friendship!

Mitsuo
, but a little worse.

My inner sadist wants some artwork of Mitsuo screaming in a straightjacket from his padded cell.

Just sayin.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
1. Ratchet and Clank :Up Your Arsenal
2. Persona 4 Golden
3. Here comes the pain.
4. Final Fantasy X-2. (Haters gonna hate)
5. The last of Us.

Mitsuo
, but a little worse.

I hope this anit another Naruto/Obito thing. Come on Sho, be the ultimate villain.

There are 2 Shos. Here's hoping one is completely evil. I really hope he's not bipolar :[

Dantis

I fixed it, although a little less snark would be appreciated.

On the one hand, I meant no offense (Sincerely!) and I apologise.

On the other hand, I probably shouldn't have to come into the thread and say "Hey, no posting spoilers from the end of a game." or "Hey, let's not derail the thread for two pages whilst we stop discussing things and just shout lists into the ether".

I hate you both.

FluxWaveZ

No one has mentioned how Elizabeth has stated that Sho has shown her that the power of solitude can be equally as powerful as the power of friendship she witnessed in P4A.

CorvoSol

In the end, Sho Minazuki will die on his return trip to his home planet. That's what he gets for sharing a Persona with Naoto's secret motorcycle sexbot boyfriend.

Sophia

No one has mentioned how Elizabeth has stated that Sho has shown her that the power of solitude can be equally as powerful as the power of friendship she witnessed in P4A.

Actually it was mentioned (and promptly ignored) by someone above. I'm curious to see the context of it.

Setsu00

I have a faint glimmer of hope that this might not turn out to be as cliché-filled as everyone is expecting it to be based on Wadas claim that the theme is "to stand up and be proud". I would assume that this means that characters stick to their ideals and that Sho goes down with his claims. I mean, if
P4G's epilogue
is any indication, Sho won't win, but he might at least stay true to himself which - after all - is THE overarching theme of the entire series.

My inner sadist wants some artwork of Mitsuo screaming in a straightjacket from his padded cell.

Just sayin.

I might do that.

Lunar15

Well it is Arena we're talking about. That game where Kanji manages to roll into a television while asleep in spite of said TV's screen being nowhere near the floor.

And then I suddenly remembered that arguing about the nuanced complexities of Ultimax's plot is basically an exercise in masochism.

On the one hand, I meant no offense (Sincerely!) and I apologise.

On the other hand, I probably shouldn't have to come into the thread and say "Hey, no posting spoilers from the end of a game." or "Hey, let's not derail the thread for two pages whilst we stop discussing things and just shout lists into the ether".

It's OK, I saw the thread had been a bit......squiffy, the past couple pages.

At the very least, my image was with no context given other than "here is an evil man".

Sophia

It's like one step away from asking about his power level.

MINAZUKI, WHAT DOES THE SCOUTER SAY ABOUT NARUKAMI'S POWER LEVEL?!

IT'S OVER 9000 O_O

Arena does seem to be embracing some Shounen tropes in the name of humor tho.

I have a faint glimmer of hope that this might not turn out to be as cliché-filled as everyone is expecting it to be based on Wadas claim that the theme is "to stand up and be proud". I would assume that this means that characters stick to their ideals and that Sho goes down with his claims. I mean, if
P4G's epilogue
is any indication, Sho won't win, but he might at least stay true to himself which - after all - is THE overarching theme of the entire series.

Huh, I didn't even think about that.
That is, the P4G epilogue.

Nap1400

We're way past this point but I just want to say I kinda dropped P4 Vanilla after I got to
Kunino-Sagiri
. Just couldn't take all the times I got up to the last phase only to be destroyed by Unerring Justice.

That's when I picked up Nocturne, which ironically enough has been a lot easier for me.

Top Bottom