• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

It was stupidly busy. I was cosplaying as Mondo from Danganronpa and I could barely turn around without my hair whacking someone in the face. Lots of people recognized my costume though, which was really nice! I'll post pictures of all my loot so far once I get back from dinner with friends.

Yeah I find that this year, there was a lot, and I mean A LOT, of Danganronpa cosplayers. Mainly girls dressed up as Junko, but I also remember seeing a little kid in what looked like a Monokuma onesie... I also saw a Kyoko. I expected more Persona cosplay/products, this being a whole Persona year pretty much, but there wasn't much. I only went yesterday though so there's that too.

Yeah I find that this year, there was a lot, and I mean A LOT, of Danganronpa cosplayers. Mainly girls dressed up as Junko, but I also remember seeing a little kid in what looked like a Monokuma onesie... I also saw a Kyoko. I expected more Persona cosplay/products, this being a whole Persona year pretty much, but there wasn't much. I only went yesterday though so there's that too.

Yeah, I only saw two Persona cosplayers today (a FeMC and a Mitsuru), but they were all the way across the hall from me so I couldn't get their pictures :/

Anyways, here's everything I've scored so far. Clockwise from right to left: a rad JoJo Stone Ocean poster, a print of Danganronpa 2's cast, a copy of BlazBlue Chronophantasma and a $5 coupon that I won from Iceman's Anime Idol competition, a keychain of Gundam Tanaka, and the awesome toaster print. Not pictured: an amazing Hawlucha plushie that's currently chilling on my bed and an Attack On Titan figure that I bought for my little bro's upcoming birthday.

jTzPCVY.jpg

Yeah, I only saw two Persona cosplayers today (a FeMC and a Mitsuru), but they were all the way across the hall from me so I couldn't get their pictures :/

Anyways, here's everything I've scored so far. Clockwise from right to left: a rad JoJo Stone Ocean poster, a print of Danganronpa 2's cast, a copy of BlazBlue Chronophantasma and a $5 coupon that I won from Iceman's Anime Idol competition, a keychain of Gundam Tanaka, and the awesome toaster print. Not pictured: an amazing Hawlucha plushie that's currently chilling on my bed and an Attack On Titan figure that I bought for my little bro's upcoming birthday.

Dang, that DR art!!! I did not see that, damnit. I didn't post mine yesterday since I thought I was the only one who went, and nobody would really care lol. This is my haul from yesterday (don't mind the pic's filter, the lighting in my room is awful so I had to do it :S ):

Left to right, top to bottom, Original piece, Makoto, Mikasa and Eren on their horses, Katanagatari's Togame and Shichika, Heisenberg and Jesse figures from Breaking Bad, Velvet Key, Shadow of the Colossus (same artist as the original piece btw), Attack on Titan "recruiting" fan-art poster, God Eater 2 (cuz we are never gonna see it here LOL) and lastly, an Aincrad arc Kirito figure.

15088609495_93a8eb242f_b.jpg

Buying frames for all this art to put up in my room.

Dang, that DR art!!! I did not see that, damnit. I didn't post mine yesterday since I thought I was the only one who went, and nobody would really care lol. This is my haul from yesterday (don't mind the pic's filter, the lighting in my room is awful so I had to do it :S ):

Good stuff. I might pick that Shadow of the Colossus print up tomorrow because it features my favourite boss from my favourite game of all time, but I'm starting to wonder whether my new place will have enough room to hang all of this stuff up, lol.

FluxWaveZ

I like how I can often walk into our Death 13 lobby and see some familiar names. Perhaps we should change it eventually to one of the NA reserved lobbies at some point, though, as more Japanese players start using it.

Mdesilva

I heard Yukari was the most toughest character to use compared to the others.

So eager to main her when I get my English copy.
She's close. She's the toughest new character, at least. Well, probably.

I dunno, I feel really comfortable with her. She feels really satisfying to play. Clicked with me pretty easily, so that was good.

I like how I can often walk into our Death 13 lobby and see some familiar names. Perhaps we should change it eventually to one of the NA reserved lobbies at some point, though, as more Japanese players start using it.

Which ones are the reserved NA lobbies?

Really enjoyed the matches earlier. Rise v S.Rise, Hilarious.

FluxWaveZ

Which ones are the reserved NA lobbies?

Really enjoyed the matches earlier. Rise v S.Rise, Hilarious.

Lobbies 6-8 are the NA lobbies, with 1-5 being the Japanese ones and Tartarus, lobby 10, being the global lobby.

And yeah, if there's any Shadow I feel confident in playing, it's Shadow Rise since I actually came up with a Shadow Frenzy gimmick with her. Will feel more comfortable with others when I learn their own stuff.

Good stuff. I might pick that Shadow of the Colossus print up tomorrow because it features my favourite boss from my favourite game of all time, but I'm starting to wonder whether my new place will have enough room to hang all of this stuff up, lol.

Tell me about it, I was gonna buy more but I had to stop myself, because there's no more space lol

abrack08

Junpei is pretty fun to play as (though I can also see why is may be low tier), but I cannot do ANYTHING against Minazuki with him. That teleport skill is OP if you don't have the best reflexes. I imagine it could be nearly impossible to block online unless you call it way in advance.

FluxWaveZ

Junpei is pretty fun to play as (though I can also see why is may be low tier), but I cannot do ANYTHING against Minazuki with him. That teleport skill is OP if you don't have the best reflexes. I imagine it could be nearly impossible to block online unless you call it way in advance.

Just roll.

So ended up at SacAnime today and added to my collection of autographs (English VAs only because of having only played the game in English lol):

Story behind this:

- Kyle Hebert (2012) obviously indicated who he was in the game (Mitsuo)
- Troy Baker signed it in 2013 and clearly over Kanji (and Yosuke in the process lol)
- Sam Riegel got to sign on Teddie (got his signature today)
- Stealth grabbed Yuri Lowenthal's signature (was allowed after line was capped) today and he kindly drew an arrow at Yosuke
- JYB signed over Izanagi today (I've always been too lazy to grab his due to his constantly long lines)

Bonus:

- Tara Platt kindly signed the inside cover, despite not voicing anyone in P4G, as it was all I had on me for signature.

For reference, I have Laura Bailey's signature & Liam O'Brien's on my cover for Catherine so I'll need Laura's again for my P4G cover lol.

Just youtubed the New Years Event. That was pretty nice, specially compared with the horrible cutscene it has. Now Teddie's moving with the protagonist. lol
The opening was very much an anime opening, that has constant spoilers in it just to make things more flashy. The only difference is usually I guess they believe that people watching the anime already read the manga, so know what happens anyway leaving them hyped as hell to see it in anime form. :p
Well yeah, I can understand the intro of Arena or Q, but this time the game (P4) is not an adaption of anything else, so they shouldn't be spoiling anything. That's why P3's intro is very cool, it doesn't spoil you about Ken, Koro or Shinji, and why FES' sucks.

Sophia

Aigis is still most likely the most technical and execution heavy character in the game. Yukari's up there, though.

Yeah, I'd put Aigis up there over Yukari. But they're both pretty hard to play and not terribly beginner friendly.

She's close. She's the toughest new character, at least. Well, probably.

I dunno, I feel really comfortable with her. She feels really satisfying to play. Clicked with me pretty easily, so that was good.

I really like Yukari's ability set, but I definitely feel I'm going to run into an execution barrier down the line. Especially if/when I start going up against players like Flux. Not helped by the fact that I can only play a limited amount of time each day due to the condition of my hands.

Well yeah, I can understand the intro of Arena or Q, but this time the game (P4) is not an adaption of anything else, so they shouldn't be spoiling anything. That's why P3's intro is very cool, it doesn't spoil you about Ken, Koro or Shinji, and why FES' sucks.

The original Persona 3 opening is filled with massive spoilers, they're just more cleverly hidden. Some examples include (FULL P3 SPOILERS YO):
The death of the main character. Ryoji's connection with Pharos and the main character. Ikutsuki's betrayal.
Persona 3 portable's opening also
spoils Shinjiro's death.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
So question about Persona 4 Arena Ultimax -

So I never played through the original P4A (I know I know >.>) - I know japan at least is/was getting dlc that was basically the story mode of the first game. But also heard a rumor that we will *not* be getting that stateside. Has there been any actual confirmation/denial on that count or is it purely a rumor?

Yeah, I'd put Aigis up there over Yukari. But they're both pretty hard to play and not terribly beginner friendly.

I really like Yukari's ability set, but I definitely feel I'm going to run into an execution barrier down the line. Especially if/when I start going up against players like Flux. Not helped by the fact that I can only play a limited amount of time each day due to the condition of my hands.

The original Persona 3 opening is filled with massive spoilers, they're just more cleverly hidden. Some examples include (FULL P3 SPOILERS YO):
The death of the main character. Ryoji's connection with Pharos and the main character. Ikutsuki's betrayal.
Persona 3 portable's opening also
spoils Shinjiro's death.
To be fair,
I never noticed Ryoji in the opening until late in the game lol, in the FES intro it's way more obvious and painful, since you are like "Woo, I defeated all 12th Shadows! I comple- oh wait, there's that guy in the hot springs". You also don't notice the whole "death" thing of the protagonist unless you go on to investigate what Memento Mori is, and without you would think it's just the game trying to be cool with the idea of shooting yourself in the head. I do agree with Ikutsuki's though, like, why in the hell would he be like that in the opening when he's just a lame joker. About P3P, you mean the Ken is in the stairs and is about to shoot himself when he reaches Shinjiro? Hmm, that is true, but Koromaru being there is also weird for the moment. lol

Mdesilva

Well, for reference, here are two of her combos- and for ones that are basic, they're pretty complicated, really.

5AAA > 214A > 5C > 5B > 2C > j.C > j.2B > (dash) 5B > 236D~A/B/C/D

Now, this is her main BnB, and it has one of the tightest links in the game right after the 5AAA. It's things with really precise timing like this that stump a lot of people. It's pretty tricky… I haven't landed it once online.

(on crouching opponent) 5A > 2A > 5C > 2C > 2B > 5B > IAD > j.B > 5B > 2 > 214B > 2B > high jump forward > 236D~A/B/C/D

This one's not as tough with timing, generally, but requires some really fast inputs and an instant air dash. This is also one of her basic combos (which is pretty ridiculous, lol).

Thing is, it doesn't get much easier than this for optimal stuff. And that's just combo difficulty. A lot of her stuff is super spacing-dependent, so for example your 5A kick can be just BARELY out of range for a certain combo, or your opponent jumped just high enough that you can't do another combo. It's tricky… And then there's stuff like bomb setups, lol. I don't think she's too beginner friendly if you want to do a lot of practical/optimal things, unfortunately. That's basically what the impression I'm getting is after playing for a couple days.

Just thought everyone should keep that in mind.

FluxWaveZ

So question about Persona 4 Arena Ultimax -

So I never played through the original P4A (I know I know >.>) - I know japan at least is/was getting dlc that was basically the story mode of the first game. But also heard a rumor that we will *not* be getting that stateside. Has there been any actual confirmation/denial on that count or is it purely a rumor?

Purely a rumor that I've never actually heard until now. There's no reason to believe that we won't be getting Episode P4A in NA, especially when the official website has a slot left for it.

Episode P4A might actually already have English voices in the JP release, but I haven't checked it out yet.

Edit: Alright, finally got to check out Episode P4A, and it's unfortunately not what most of us thought it'd be. It's not a short recap of P4A, but it's actually composed of each characters' individual story chapter exactly like in the previous game. It's a bummer, since I was hoping it'd be a canon route and a concise version of it. Guess we'll just assume that what happened in P4A was Yu's chapter or something, given P4AU.

It has English voices, though they're the same as P4A. Probably a good indication that we'll get it, anyways. The voices that are different in P4AU are probably all the old ones in episode P4A, considering
Igor
(minor P4AU spoiler) has their old voice clips.

Purely a rumor that I've never actually heard until now. There's no reason to believe that we won't be getting Episode P4A in NA, especially when the official website has a slot left for it.

Episode P4A might actually already have English voices in the JP release, but I haven't checked it out yet.

Edit: Alright, finally got to check out Episode P4A, and it's unfortunately not what most of us thought it'd be. It's not a short recap of P4A, but they actually composed of each characters' individual story chapter exactly like in the previous game. It's a bummer, since I was hoping it'd be a canon route and a concise version of it. Guess we'll just assume that what happened in P4A was Yu's chapter or something, given P4AU.

It has English voices, though they're the same as P4A. Probably a good indication that we'll get it, anyways. The voices that are different in P4AU are probably all the old ones in episode P4A, considering
Igor

Oh man... I was really hoping for a canon route too. Oh well, at least it's still good for people who didn't play P4A.

Andrefpvs

Edit: Alright, finally got to check out Episode P4A, and it's unfortunately not what most of us thought it'd be. It's not a short recap of P4A, but they actually composed of each characters' individual story chapter exactly like in the previous game. It's a bummer, since I was hoping it'd be a canon route and a concise version of it. Guess we'll just assume that what happened in P4A was Yu's chapter or something, given P4AU.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Sophia

Igor

I expected this, after seeing the situation with the story with Ultimax. So it's basically the first game's story mode transported almost exactly to the sequel huh?

Guess we'll just assume that what happened in P4A was Yu's chapter or something, given P4AU.
No, no, no, NO! I refuse to believe this. Yosuke/Aigis route must be the canon, IT MUST BE!!

But seriously. I don't actually think any of the routes in P4A is canon, since Chie calls Akihiko "Master" in P4U2, and Chie/Akihiko route is the only where they actually meet each other. And then there's Yu holding the first Grand Prix belt in the boxart and promo stuff. I haven't played the game yet, but there are probably some Yosuke-Aigis or Yukiko-Mitsuru or Yu-Elizabeth interactions, so I'm believing that the canon one is the one we will never know about.

Sophia

Yeah, they even kept the chapter availability, with Yu, Yosuke, Yukiko and Chie being available at the start and the others being locked.

That's okay then. There are some good scenes in the first game, even if they're spread around the routes. Plus, you need only play three stories + Labrys to jump straight into the sequel.

PK Gaming

Edit: Alright, finally got to check out Episode P4A, and it's unfortunately not what most of us thought it'd be. It's not a short recap of P4A, but it's actually composed of each characters' individual story chapter exactly like in the previous game. It's a bummer, since I was hoping it'd be a canon route and a concise version of it. Guess we'll just assume that what happened in P4A was Yu's chapter or something, given P4AU.

Igor

Bummer

On the bright side, this means that P4AU almost overshadows P4A as a game.

Mdesilva

P4AU feature spoilers (Flux was alluding to this yesterday)
Beat all four Score Attack courses on Risky to unlock that character as a navigator :O[

This works for anyone except Sho and Minazuki (and I'm assuming S.Lab but I hope to god it does work)

Grinding commences tomorrow :D

Xenoflare

For the episode P4A for P4AU, does this mean that we get to play the P4A story mode under P4AU's system?

I'm actually not that mad if that is the case, I'm willing to pass my copy of original P4A to a friend then.

FluxWaveZ

(Persona 4 spoiler) Some of the unique win quotes when
—Adachi—
wins or loses are pretty good. Mitsuru says something akin to:
What a dreadful man. It's unbelievable that their group had to go against someone like that.
When they win, they mock Rise fighting when she's supposed to be an idol or Ken sticking his nose into adults' affairs. They also have a win quote in a mirror match that goes something like "Oh boy, so I get to finally face myself."

Speaking of which, I guess they're going to be my main, or something. Currently, they're the character I feel the most comfortable playing as since I haven't spent too much time with anyone else, though I've spent a lot of time with [Redacted] in turn. The character has an odd pace to how they fight. I can't say that they're "fun" to play as, but they feel more satisfying than most other characters (a lot of it is due to the endless taunting). I've adapted pretty quickly playing as them, too.

Sophia

How's the story in P4AU? Does it jump right in rather fast?

Yes. They took almost all the complaints of the first game to heart when designing the story mode of the sequel. So if you enjoyed the first game, and/or you're not Dantis, you should enjoy the story of the sequel. And that's the limit of what I can say without spoiling anything. :p

Dantis

Yes. They took almost all the complaints of the first game to heart when designing the story mode of the sequel. So if you enjoyed the first game, and/or you're not Dantis, you should enjoy the story of the sequel. And that's the limit of what I can say without spoiling anything. :p

In my defense, this time I am far from the only person who doesn't like the story.

Sophia

As if I know what 4Chan thinks. :p

I'm referring to the story spoiler thread.

You mean the story spoiler thread that has so few people posting in it it's fallen to page 12? :p

It's really scary to see the divide between smtg and persona-general.

Not really. 4chan is always like that. They're hardly an accurate representation of the fanbase. Although I do think it's hilarious how the arguing stops for everyone to post Fuuka fanart once in awhile.

FluxWaveZ

Asked Pepsiman about what PSC was talking about when they referred to TGS (news post, timestamp 56:15, this image and this one), and apparently:
Pepsiman said:
Anyway, I don't know if someone else translated the goods or not, but basically all it's saying is that Atlus is holding a stage show "for some reason" at TGS and that the hosts will be there.
Also: Referring to people in the story spoiler thread—comprised mainly of people who haven't actually experienced the story for themselves—seems disingenuous.

cj_iwakura

Not really. 4chan is always like that. They're hardly an accurate representation of the fanbase. Although I do think it's hilarious how the arguing stops for everyone to post Fuuka fanart once in awhile.

And they just gripe about different stuff. PG is waifu wars central, SMTG is 'lol lawf' alignment nonsense.

Though the Devil Summoner translation project originated in SMTG, so there's that.

Dantis

You mean the story spoiler thread that has so few people posting in it it's fallen to page 12? :p

That's the one! I think the Ultimax story will be reflected upon in the future similarly to Arena's. I think Ultimax itself is a great game, but the story is MEGA fan-fictiony.

Sophia

Also: Referring to people in the story spoiler thread—comprised mainly of people who haven't actually experienced the story for themselves—seems disingenuous.

The first three to seven pages of the thread, depending on your view setting, had people basing the entire story of a single plot point that was flat out wrong. I'll not mention the script pieces that were taken out of context completely, causing confusion. Disingenuous is the understatement of the fucking year.

I actually have more to say on this, but I'll leave it at that because we're not suppose to have spoilers in this thread. To say the least, I would not try to generalize everyone's opinion in order to justify your own this early on, Dantis. :p

That's the one! I think the Ultimax story will be reflected upon in the future similarly to Arena's. I think Ultimax itself is a great game, but the story is MEGA fan-fictiony.

Have you even read through the scripts or played through story mode? >_>;

Dantis

The first three to seven pages of the thread, depending on your view setting, had people basing the entire story of a single plot point that was flat out wrong. I'll not mention the script pieces that were taken out of context completely, causing confusion. Disingenuous is the understatement of the fucking year.

I actually have more to say on this, but I'll leave it at that because we're not suppose to have spoilers in this thread. To say the least, I would not try to generalize everyone's opinion in order to justify your own this early on, Dantis. :p

Have you even read through the scripts or played through story mode? >_>;

Read the scripts, haven't played the actual mode.

Also, we had almost this exact conversation two years ago.

Sophia

Read the scripts, haven't played the actual mode.

Also, we had almost this exact conversation two years ago.

Yup, my opinion hasn't changed much on the original Arena's story mode. I have my complaints on it, especially regarding the P4 side, but I still enjoyed it.

Perhaps coincidentally, my opinion on Ultimax's story mode is actually pretty similar to that of my opinion of the original game. :p

Anyhow, I'M GONNA GO BACK TO FIGHTING RISKY MODE SCORE ATTACK. Did you know Score Attack is actually fun now? >_>;

Top Bottom