• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Levito

Banned
B33ko3ICYAAlxQA.jpg:small

(Love it)

Dantis

I think Aksys is demonstrating what the new engine is capable of, and that David Hayter is still going to play Snake.

#TeamCG

EDIT: Also that artist that Buddha linked on the previous page has previously messaged me and I never replied because I'm a bad person.

Sophia

I am going to hit over 100 hours of playtime for sure. Especially when I'm trying to level everyone somewhat equally.

Poor John Hardin was probably wondering why his email box was filling up.

The internet: "John! Mr. Hardin! Atlusprime dood! What's this about some super secret stuff involving Atlus and Arksys and the awesome tweet and and..."

Him: "I Dunno LOL ¯\(°_o)/¯"

atlusprime

Atlus PR
I am going to hit over 100 hours of playtime for sure. Especially when I'm trying to level everyone somewhat equally.

The internet: "John! Mr. Hardin! Atlusprime dood! What's this about some super secret stuff involving Atlus and Arksys and the awesome tweet and and..."

Him: "I Dunno LOL ¯\(°_o)/¯"

Nobody likes it when you talk about
murders.

It was a good joke, but y'know...the internet...

Dantis

Nobody likes it when you talk about
murders.

It was a good joke, but y'know...the internet...

Can you confirm that if I travel to SoCal tonight and at exactly midnight, smash my head through a TV screen in someone's house, that I will enter the midnight channel and be featured in Persona 5?

kewlmyc

Can you confirm that if I travel to SoCal tonight and at exactly midnight, smash my head through a TV screen in someone's house, that I will enter the midnight channel and be featured in Persona 5?

No, but you will go to jail. Do you want emancipation?

Dantis

If P5's side quests aren't as fleshed out as PQ's, they're going to look somewhat poor.

It'd also be nice to see Strolls added to the game alongside S Links. People always complain about hitting a dead end at rank 10, and this would fix it if these showed up throughout the year.

The fact that it's a hashtag makes it even scarier, for some reason

It's how all the hip psychopaths write.

Dantis

I'm going to replay P3P at some point with Theo to see how he's changed in PQ.

I have a feeling it will be significant.

I've decided that PQ's characterisations are like whimsical reinterpretations of the characters, without flattening their personalities to the degree that the Arena games did.

I quite like all of the Velvet Room attendents in PQ. Some of Elizabeth's animations, like her clapping for herself, are pretty charming. Makes for pretty good comedy too.

Can't a guy just get frustrated and destroy some collectibles in peace?

Only if Rise and Teddie have their faces on them. :p

Theo's story is just that he's another sibling in the trio. He's not an option to have as an attendant for the male side, but he still exists in it.

It makes me wonder a few things. Like what Margaret was doing in P3, what any of the siblings were doing in P1 and P2, AND where the dwellers from those games have gone since P3.

CorvoSol

Ultimax PS4/Vita. Believe.

I actually don't think it's anything and they're just hyping up the event.

God but what I would not give to have it on Vita.

EDIT: Still not sure how I feel about Theo. I mean it's great, but it's still a shock. Dude puts on all this suave bravado for FeMC, but under it you know he's a bit of a dork, and his sisters really, really know it, hahaha.

Not sure how far any of you guys got in PQ, but do Zen and Rei hold up for the later game? They seem really good early-game at least. But I'm guessing if anything OP or relatively good pops up in the game, which generally happens later in the game, then they might not be as good since without Sub-personas they might not be able to abuse said thing.

Quick question, do you guys have any thoughts on if there's an underlying reason why Persona 3 FES made the decision for party members to make their own battle choices?

I read an argument that it's to represent each character making their own choices in battles as real people, and since you're the protagonist you can give them orders, but they still make their own decisions- sorta like a roleplay mindset. Not sure if that's really why they did it, it could easily just be to simplify what battle choices the player has to deal with, but I thought I'd ask.

Acid08

Banned
Quick question, do you guys have any thoughts on if there's an underlying reason why Persona 3 FES made the decision for party members to make their own battle choices?

I read an argument that it's to represent each character making their own choices in battles as real people, and since you're the protagonist you can give them orders, but they still make their own decisions- sorta like a roleplay mindset. Not sure if that's really why they did it, it could easily just be to simply what battle choices the player has to deal with, but I thought I'd ask.

That's pretty much exactly what's stated in the P3 artbook interview.

Some quotes:

Hashino: There are a lot of RPGs out there where you can control every aspect of your party members, including what kind of underwear they are wearing... but because we wanted the player to relate to the Hero more than any other character in Persona 3, we wanted the other characters to feel like "other people".

Soejima: It was important to make that distinction. It helped emphasize the concept of Social Links, and it also allowed us to show off the improved AI. It would have been extra cool if the party members had been completely free of player control, but we knew that would be pushing it a bit too far, so we have the player control over their equipment at least.

Hashino: It's true that we got some feedback stating that the party system was "too difficult" to control effectively, but I'll honestly say that I don't regret doing what we did with it. I'm glad we stuck to our guns on that one.

Interviewer: It was pretty interesting to have characters that didn't necessarily agree with your decisions coming together to accomplish a mutual goal.

Hashino: It didn't matter how strong your friendships were; once you completed the mission, everyone went their separate ways. It's like when you go out for a drink with buddies and you have a great time, but at the end of the night, everyone goes homes to their own lives. The interactions you'd have with your Social Links also differed depending on the time of day. We wanted to emphasize the feeling that these were completely separate beings unifying for a single purpose. You're together in the dungeon but, once you leave, you're alone again. Once you're alone, you are contacted by other people who may not have been in the dungeon with you. We wanted the Hero to have a life outside Tartarus, and although we didn't get to flesh that part out as much as we would have liked, I think we did well enough.

Interviewer: I certainly felt it. Even your party members felt like individuals who had lives outside of the party.

Hashino: I'm glad you got that. I know it made for a less familiar play style, but it was what we wanted to portray.

Acid08

Banned
Yeah, giving party members a sense of agency is a good idea on paper.
It just gets undermined by the fact that they're total imbeciles when it matters.

Eh, I feel like the problems with the AI system are overstated a lot. It's not that it's perfect but as long as you used the tactics correctly you'll get what you want most of the time. I'm sure there's a variable amount of luck in there though which is why some people seem to have so much trouble with it? Usually though it seems like it's because they didn't bother using the tactics menu.

CorvoSol

It's the shit-eating grin, isn't it? All he needs now are those aviator shades.

P4's villain's shit-eating grin doesn't even compare to Definitely-Not-Hitler-Didn't-You-Read-The-Disclaimer-In-The-Opening's Shit Eating Grin.

I think Buddha put it best when he said that Fuhrer
was Nyarlatothep's living troll face.

Also the best part of P2IS is still
HITLER LIVES. AND IS AN IMMORTAL SPACE WIZARD. HE WANTS TO USE AN ANCIENT ALIEN MESOAMERICAN SPACE SHIP BURIED BENEATH A JAPANESE CITY, COMBINED WITH CRYSTAL SKULLS AND THE SPEAR THAT SLEW THE SON OF GOD TO RULE THE UNIVERSE.

Because no part of that isn't completely insane, and how do you not smile when you read it?

Top Bottom