• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Acid08

Banned
Got my P1P soundtrack today, it's so good. Cover kinda sucks though so I made an edit to make it good.

ivmf2rP.jpg

I am truly a master of my craft.

There's also a little blurb from Meguro inside:

Hugstable

Banned
P4 side, because I wanted to see the P3 MC with dialog/a personality.

P3MC - Makoto Yuki
P4MC - Yu Nakami (close enough right?)

lol dang why didn't I think of just shortening the name. I didn't know what to put instead of Narukami, so I just called him Yu Inaba. -_____-

atlusprime

Atlus PR
|OT7| Can't Bear any More Puns. Aigis I'll Sho Myself Out?

Also:

P3MC: Brutus Grutus
P4MC: Masta Blasta (was Master Blaster in P4G, but had to shorten it since Blaster won't fit.)

I probably should post more (I can't even remember when was the last time I posted), but I completely support |OT7| Night of the Phantom

Also, Persona Q is an amazing game. Makoto Yuki and Chuck Tunoku are really enjoying this carousel.
Please help, I think I'm addicted.

MMW

Neo Member
Hi everyone,

Been a long-time lurker on the thread since the last OT and figured it was about time I introduced myself and joined in on the discussion :)

I've been a MegaTen fan for a couple of years now starting, starting with Persona 3 FES, then moving onto the P4:G when I got around to getting a Vita. Have dabbled a bit in both the first Raidou game and SMT3:Nocturne, and am currently playing SMT4 (which is fantastic) Should hopefully be getting Persona Q in the next couple days, though it doesn't come out in my country (New Zealand) 'til Friday for some stupid reason >.<

Anyway, I look forward to discussing Persona with you all :)

Messiah

Finally started my P3P playthrough as female protagonist. The VN style certainly feels different and I am glad I decided to play P3 FES first. I'd imagine experiencing the story for the first time in this VN style would have been confusing at times.

After getting accustomed to entering my battles accompanied by "babybabybaby ..." in P3 FES it felt strange to hear a new battle theme. The new songs I heard thusfar are great though. Too bad the sound quality is not that great considering it's a PSP game.

Super hyped to see the new social links and other changes. And thank god for the improved battle system, no more Marin Karin galore.

So what side did you all pick, and what did you name the protagonist(s)?

P4 Side so I could what characterization was given to the P3MC.

P3 MC is named Makoto Yuki (I know it's boring)
P4 MC is the one and only Cross Slash.

Also I feel like there's some joke to be made here involving P3 +P4 = OT7, but I can't think of anything. I really like JoseOle's idea though.

Sophia

Some observations I've noted after about 17 hours of Persona Q. I guess you could also consider these tips for anyone just getting the game too, although I'm not explicitly calling them that.... anyhow:

- Hybrid Personas rule the day here. Making one Persona with quad elements doesn't do yourself nearly as good as it does in Persona 3 or Persona 4. In contrast, having a character/sub Persona who covers one or two elemental skills, one or two physical skills, one or two support skills, and/or one or two instant kill really does wonders. Being able to take five party members into battle, with every member of the party covering one element and sub Personas frequently allowing them to cover another element, is a significant factor in why this is the case. Related to this, exploiting weaknesses isn't nearly as important as it was in the Persona 3/4 variation of the Press Turn system, so you don't feel too limited if you don't have every weakness covered.

- It's far easier to recover HP here than it is SP, therefore physical skills are very potent early on. This is especially true if you're using Fuuka's healing ability in order to keep the party healed during dungeon exploration. This seems to be why physical skills are so potent early on. Consuming 20 HP is nothing compared to consuming 10 SP. That being said, magic is no slouch. The P3 Protagonist has Agilao now, and it frequently hits higher than anything else. His fantastic magic stat helps there too.

- The party members with high luck, such as Ken and Teddie, critical hit like no tomorrow. It's absurd. Ken is three levels below the P3 Protagonist, yet equals him in the luck stat. After about ten turns against an FOE, Ken had critical hit in AT LEAST seven of those. The FOE didn't have a weakness to physical skills either.

- Related to the above, multi-hit physical skills are very potent as well. I've been using Twin Slash a lot whenever possible, and I typically get a critical hit off one of the two attacks.

- Risky mode's difficulty is about perfect, as far as I can tell. I'm not sure how it compares to hard mode, but right now I'm very appreciative of the fact that it's staying consistently hard without becoming brutal. I've only had one moment where I died to a genuine MegaTen moment, and situation of that was so unreal that it was more hilarious that such a combination of events happened than anything.

- Aigis's Orgia mode seems pretty situational here. Mind you, it's far more useful than it was in Persona 3, but there are still times in boss battles where I feel I'm better off not bothering with it. The biggest issue comes from the fact that an entire turn is wasted just to activated. Because of that, it takes a whopping five turns to fully realize, two of which you spend as a sitting duck. Which is brutal in EO style gameplay, and even more so when she's tanking. It really should work like the leader skills, and activate at the start of the turn. That said, I've mad good use of it in regular battles, where you know you can end the fight within five turns. The burst damage is fantastic under ideal situations.

- I'm still getting into the bad habit of spreading my attacks around, even though it doesn't do anything in this game. The boost system on it's own doesn't give you a means of suppressing the enemy's turns like in P3/P4, although some enemies are sometimes stunned if you do enough damage.

- Sub Personas are amazing. The dungeons are amaaaaazing. The music is amaaaazing. All and all? This game is pretty amazing, and a lot of the systems in it are stuff I'd like to see continued. Easily a contender for GOTY, if you ask me. Definitely the best RPG of the year, and that's saying something given how good the new Dragon Age is.

Would you guys recommend Persona Q to someone who hate's EO's gameplay but loves P3 and P4's story?

The sub persona system is so good. Also this might actually get you to enjoy EO games eventually. The story elements take a back seat to the dungeon crawling so keep that in mind. If you liked P3 and P4 you absolutely should give this a chance. Play on easy if you have to but play it.

Sophia

Would you guys recommend Persona Q to someone who hate's EO's gameplay but loves P3 and P4's story?

That really depends on what you're looking for.

Persona Q has a good story, and it has a lot of the same style of scenes you'd expect from Persona 3 or Persona 4. The dialogue is charming, and it really fleshes out the cast a bit. Especially for the Persona 3 cast who are benefiting from the P3-characterization, but with the improved writing of Persona 4 and beyond. That being said, the gameplay takes a clear focus here; these are not the randomized dungeons of Tartarus or the Midnight Channel and they WILL take you awhile to get through. There are puzzles, traps, carefully designed layouts, etc, etc. So if you're aversive to first person dungeon crawling for whatever reason, you probably won't enjoy Persona Q.

However the combat system in Persona Q itself takes after the Megami Tensei series more than it does Etrian Odyssey, so if that's your issue you should feel right at home.

And if it's the mapping element, you can just turn on automap and ignore it almost entirely. So that should be a non-issue.

I'd say give it a shot, unless you utterly hate first person dungeon crawling with a passion.

I've never played EO before, but I do love Q. It's more challenging than the average persona, but also more rewarding. I wasn't a fan of mapping at first, but it grew on me. If you really do love 3 and 4, I would say it's worth it, just put the difficulty and safety and cruise through while enjoying the story. You still would probably need to fuse personae though.

Meia

Still early in dungeon 2 so I haven't seen many strolls, but the few I've seen have been FANTASTIC.

Love in the
one where Kanji is worried about Ken one that Rise admits to noticing how much Yosuke always sacrifices himself readily for the group, and that it oftentimes worries her. Those little touches to the characters are something that kind of add to the base game even(that she'd notice it makes the idea that she'd so readily perform again for his benefit make even more sense with this).

I really love how intelligent the discussions between the two groups are as well, even if I'm early on.
Love the discussion about differences of Persona summoning, and curse them for making me like Ken more now that he'd go and talk to Yosuke after finding out about Saki. Only thing I want to see now is both crews discussing how they even awakened to their personas and my persona geekdom will be complete. :p

I wonder how many times I'm going to go through this one though. In the P4 side, a lot of the discussion in dungeons so far has had a P4 slant to it. Is this also something that's the opposite on a P3 run I wonder, cause that's a lot more different content than just the first dungeon route. Then the characters to use as well, as I'd want to do a playthrough with each cast going through their own route(with maybe one from the other cast coming along), but having more diverse makeups of people could also be interesting(Yu with an all P3 group and vice versa).

^Damn it PK

B33KMnxIIAEqAdf.png:large

Sorry Mitsuru,You cant beat Eriko Kirishima. You see Tartarus and you go "OH NO MY FAMILY'S SINS." She goes "AWESOME" or "I'm the luckiest girl in the world!"

Dantis

^Damn it PK

B33KMnxIIAEqAdf.png:large

Sorry Mitsuru,You cant beat Eriko Kirishima. You see Tartarus and you go "OH NO MY FAMILY'S SINS." She goes "AWESOME" or "I'm the luckiest girl in the world!"

This is an amazing piece of art. Things like this should probably be sourced, though.

Something potentially interesting. Gematsu just retweeted this, noting that midnight PST is about thirty minutes into the 20th Anniversary Playstation event (or whatever it's called) in Japan.

Midnight Channel reference means it might be Persona related?

EDIT: Tweet got deleted (thanks for the heads up Tamanon)

Dantis

Something potentially interesting. Gematsu just retweeted this, noting that midnight PST is about thirty minutes into the 20th Anniversary Playstation event (or whatever it's called) in Japan.

Midnight Channel reference means it might be Persona related?

I have no idea what that is referring to, but I can't imagine it's Persona related. Aksys has never had anything to do with it, right?

I have no idea what that is referring to, but I can't imagine it's Persona related. Aksys has never had anything to do with it, right?

My first thought was that there would be an announcement of some kind of crossover game of Persona and some kind of Aksys series, and the tweet was hinting that they'd be localizing said game. To be honest though, it's probably nothing but building hype for the awards.

Top Bottom