• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

That makes the timeline even more convoluted, right? It means that this takes place after the arena games, but before the epilogue? So EVERYTHING takes place within like a year and a half. That's "Die Hard" levels of ridiculousness at that point. :p

Perhaps, but it conveniently kills the "why aren't they wearing their epilogue outfit" question.

It seems like the timeline for the games is

P4 > PQ > P4Arena -> P4Ultimax > P4Dancing > P4Epilogue

FluxWaveZ

there's a timeline for all the P3/P4 crossover games?

don't be too specific, I still need to finish P4G and play P3, lol

I posted the timeline on the Twitter for my site, Persona Central. If you haven't finished P4G, you shouldn't look at it.

Rubedo

Perhaps, but it conveniently kills the "why aren't they wearing their epilogue outfit" question.

It seems like the timeline for the games is

P4 > PQ > P4Arena -> P4Ultimax > P4Dancing > P4Epilogue

A better solution would have just been make it after the Epilogue and keep Epilogue designs while having the old looks as costumes

FluxWaveZ

I think there's something going on in the timeline with the P4G epilogue and P4D. Things are oddly confusing right now, and some aspect of time manipulation might be present in the story. It was stated that their looks "regressed" for a reason, after all.

I'd be fine if the P4G epilogue designs were just outright ignored, but I think that they somehow circumvented them because of the story circumstances they set up in P4D.

Also, the pages following the timeline I posted show off the individual Investigation Team characters' evolution throughout the series, and the P4G epilogue isn't considered anywhere in any of the shots.

Dantis

dammit, why did I check the thread. spoiled

What have you been spoiled on?

I think there's something going on in the timeline with the P4G epilogue and P4D. Things are oddly confusing right now, and some aspect of time manipulation might be present in the story. It was stated that their looks "regressed" for a reason, after all.

I'd be fine if the P4G epilogue designs were just outright ignored, but I think that they somehow circumvented them because of the story circumstances they set up in P4D.

Also, the pages following the timeline I posted show off the individual Investigation Team characters' evolution throughout the series, and the P4G epilogue isn't considered anywhere in any of the shots.
I'm confused. Why do you think they're circumventing the designs? If P4D takes place signficantly before the epilogue, surely it's all fine?

LiK

What have you been spoiled on?

I'm confused. Why do you think they're circumventing the designs? If P4D takes place signficantly before the epilogue, surely it's all fine?

they change appearances after epilogue. I would've liked to have been surprised. fuck me for not finishing the game first before coming back here.

anyway, not coming back here until after I finish the game. see you later.

Rubedo

Looking at the timeline, all I see is that P4D takes place after P4AU. Where does it specifically say it takes place before the Epilogue?

Also, didn't an interview just earlier this month confirm it was after the Epilogue?

FluxWaveZ

Would you classify Dancing All Night as a story-driven music game, rather than just a pure music game?

Correct. Chronologically, the game takes place after Persona 4 Golden‘s epilogue. We’ll talk more later about why some things might appear to be surprising reversions sometime later down the line.

Rubedo

Yup. There it is.

I hope it doesn't end up being some contrived time bullshit. That's part of the reason I just ignore PQ.

PK Gaming

Well, if you guys recall my review for the manga adaptation of Persona 4 Dancing All Night...

Persona 4 Dancing All Night: Chapter 10

B87wxlBCAAA8zLJ.jpg:large

There wasn't much that happened in this chapter. Kanamin meets Narukami for the first time and immediately falls for him, much to Rise's chagrin. Yosuke's decision to split from the group backfires as he's ambushed by several dance thugs. The group is still desperately searching for Yukiko's killer. Junpei's appearance at the end of the chapter was shocking though. What's he up to...?

The direction doesn't seem all that bad. It could potential take Persona 4 in a bold new direction.

Damn.
At least Kanamin can't be any worse than Sho, right?

... right?

Depends on who's writing it, if it's the Ultimax team then it'll be pretty likely that she'll be terrible.

If its the Q team, its 50/50, she'll either be good or a one-note caricature.

But Q's story is infinitely better than Ultimax, I really like it overall.

Rubedo

I'd settle for best story of any of the side games. Though based on who you ask, that wouldn't be a hard thing to do. :p

It wouldn't be hard which is why it'd be funnier if it's better than all the main game stories too.

Also hilarious if it ends up being super important to the plot of P5 like a lot of people assumed the original Arena's ending was going to be before P4 Arena Ultimax happened.

Depends on who's writing it, if it's the Ultimax team then it'll be pretty likely that she'll be terrible.

But Q's story is infinitely better than Ultimax, I really like it overall.

There is that. OR
Q's better because Atlus figured only RPGs were worth putting effort into writing?

Rubedo

There is that. OR
Q's better because Atlus figured only RPGs were worth putting effort into writing?

Was it Atlus that wrote the Arena duology stories or ArcSys?

And honestly I think most of Ultimax's story is ok. Not good but not as bland as the first Arena. I actually enjoyed Rise's perspective and the P4 side was alright up until the first fight with Sho where it started going all overboard with the bonds thing. That's when it started to suck. The P3 side was pretty forgettable altogether.

FluxWaveZ

It's like you're implying that those who were assigned to Ultimax are not good writers or scenario planners. The same people who worked on projects like Persona 4, Catherine, Radiant Historia and Trauma Team. As a fighting game spin-off, what they were given to work with was obviously extremely different or fairly limited in scope compared to what they usually work with. P4D might be the same in that regard, but maybe not.

There is that. OR

Well Q only had one Scenario Writer and one Assistant Scenario Writer whereas Ultimax had 6 Scenario Writers, 2 Scenario Drafters and 3 Scenario Planners.

We spoke about it on the Ultimax spoilercast that maybe it was just a case of too many cooks
TOO MANY COOOOOOKS

Edit: This also applies to Flux's query.

Well Q only had one Scenario Writer and one Assistant Scenario Writer whereas Ultimax had 6 Scenario Writers, 2 Scenario Drafters and 3 Scenario Planners.

We spoke about it on the Ultimax spoilercast that maybe it was just a case of too many cooks
TOO MANY COOOOOOKS

Edit: This also applies to Flux's query.

But if it's too many cooks, how did they all manage to drone out the same message over and over and over again??

Dantis

It's like you're implying that those who were assigned to Ultimax are not good writers or scenario planners. The same people who worked on projects like Persona 4, Catherine, Radiant Historia and Trauma Team. As a fighting game spin-off, what they were given to work with was obviously extremely different or fairly limited in scope compared to what they usually work with. P4D might be the same in that regard, but maybe not.

Persona 4?

No they weren't. The scenario was by Wada (a gameplay designer, not a writer) and Taku Yamada (I don't actually know who that is), and the actual writing was by a handful of people not normally involved in Persona, except for Kawasaki, who is at the bottom of the list and credited with space between him and the other writers, presumably to indicate that his contributions were small.

You can absolutely assume that Ultimax is badly written because the writers aren't great.

FluxWaveZ

TOO MANY COOOOOOKS

Yeah, I could see something like this being the case for the P4A games. I thought the manga worked well, and I would like to see a P4A anime to see how that turned out; it could potentially be pretty good.

Persona 4?

No they weren't. The scenario was by Wada (a gameplay designer, not a writer) and Taku Yamada (I don't actually know who that is), and the actual writing was by a handful of people not normally involved in Persona, except for Kawasaki, who is at the bottom of the list and credited with space between him and the other writers, presumably to indicate that his contributions were small.

You can absolutely assume that Ultimax is badly written because the writers aren't great.

You say no one involved with the game worked on Persona 4, and then you say that someone involved with the game worked on Persona 4...?

And, in any case, I disagree.

But if it's too many cooks, how did they all manage to drone out the same message over and over and over again??

I dont know, I'm not on the writing team!

Maybe one person had the idea of BONDS and each different person came up with a place where they could put it in.

I'm just saying that having too many writers could be why Ultimax had so much stuff going on, and yet none of it being properly implemented and detailed very well.

Yeah, I could see something like this being the case for the P4A games. I thought the manga worked well, and I would like to see a P4A anime to see how that turned out; it could potentially be pretty good.

I'd love a P4A anime, especially if they followed the manga route. I think Arena has a fine story as it is, its just the presentation that's its main flaw.

Its also why I'm interested in the Ultimax manga, just so I can see if they can present the story in a better manner than the game did, because Arena's manga massively improved the telling of the Arena story in my opinion.

Rubedo

I think the reason for the focus on bonds was because the interactions between the MC and his social links basically focus around two things. Friendship and the characters' psychological problems. By Arena, the party's problems have all been solved which just leaves the friendship aspect. Notably Labrys and Rise are the only ones with significant leftover problems are their personal arcs are the best from the duology.

FluxWaveZ

I think a significant part of why they heavily relied on the "bonds" concept was because it was a fighting game. They had said something to that effect in an interview, about how exploring the tenacity of the Investigation Team's friendships and how Shadows never truly disappear were things they wanted to explore, and how a fighting game was the venue to do so. When constructing a story to fit around the concept of them fighting each other, I guess that was the logical place to go to, story-wise, since it fits around the format of them fighting each other, while also combining the P4 themes they wanted to explore.

This is why I think that, if there was to be a P4A3, going with the Xrd story model could potentially do a lot of good to the game's story, where they're not shackled to the expectations of the genre and are basically given the freedom to do what they want to with the story.

I think the reason for the focus on bonds was because the interactions between the MC and his social links basically focus around two things. Friendship and the characters' psychological problems. By Arena, the party's problems have all been solved which just leaves the friendship aspect. Notably Labrys and Rise are the only ones with significant leftover problems are their personal arcs are the best from the duology.
This is how I felt. The focus on "bonds" was for Labrys and Sho, since the rest of the cast was over their struggles

PK Gaming

The Persona 4 Arena manga was really weird, but surprisingly good. I wrote a short review on it about a half a year ago, but I never posted it. Would anyone be interested in seeing it?

Dantis

The Persona 4 Arena manga was really weird, but surprisingly good. I wrote a short review on it about a half a year ago, but I never posted it. Would anyone be interested in seeing it?

Go for it.

The art was miles better than the slightly dodgy covers would have suggested.

Sure, I'd like to read it.

Most people I talk to think that the manga is the best (or a better) telling of the Arena story, so I'd be interested to see what you think.

LiK

Right? I never touched the spinoffs because I was content at preserving how fulfilling the game was. It was the first time where I never felt wanting more.

definitely one of the most satisfying endings in all of games.

True Ending achieved. Oh man, that was amazing.

I nearly bawled like a baby once "Never More" kicked in after getting the true ending, but I held it in check. The epilogue was fantastic though, loved the weather segment as that made me smile.

Nerd Kanji is mad adorable tho, had a chuckle at his appearance.

Musolf815

I suppose there has already been a ton of speculation about this screenshot, but every time I see it I wonder what exactly is going on here. Is it just a follow up attack? What are the triggers for it? The battle system of P5 has me more excited than combat in any other game coming out this year (so far anyway). I can't wait to see what changes they've made.

Maybe there are different levels of all out attacks this time? I can't wait to see the changes either, I loved P4G's combat so much, and it looks like they're going even farther with the snappy stylized battles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom