• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj_iwakura

Well... P3 spoilers:
you never actually fight all three of them at once. The first fight is Takaya and Jin, the second fight is Chidori alone, and then you fight Takaya and Jin separately. So what you're proposing wouldn't work.
I know that. Hence my criteria. :p It was silly to do that to them. It really ripped out their fangs.

As for EP, I think it shines because of the limited tools. Take Etrian Odyssey. A talented composer can make old hardware sing.

cj_iwakura

Have you played Persona Q?
The optional bonus boss battle against Elizabeth, Theodore, and Margaret is pretty much what you want. And it is awesome.

That sounds more like it. I'm still waiting on the price drop, though, because I loathe Q's aesthetics.

Have you played Persona Q?
The optional bonus boss battle against Elizabeth, Theodore, and Margaret is pretty much what you want. And it is awesome.

A shame that they used it for
an inconsequential battle against allies instead of enemies who were supposed to be taken seriously.

YHVH, I hate Strega.

cj_iwakura

This fricking guy.

250px-Sid.png

(Devil Summoner's antagonist, uses the Holy Bible as his summoning tool.)

The day I kill him can't be too soon. I love his design, though.

FluxWaveZ

I'm still hoping maybe they do have a secret femc option in p5 Atlus has been hiding from us. T^T

Options are lame (in a guided JRPG experience like Persona that isn't for a remake like P3P) for several reasons.

It's weird to be talking about a Persona 6 at this point, but I'd want that game to have a female protagonist.

cj_iwakura

Options are lame (in a guided JRPG experience like Persona that isn't for a remake like P3P) for several reasons.

It's weird to be talking about a Persona 6 at this point, but I'd want that game to have a female protagonist.

It could always pull a Chrono Trigger and have the MC go away for a few and let someone else take over.

LX_Theo

Banned
No, but if you're going to criticize something, you could explain why. Why do graphics and music matter? I think EP has a much better OST than 3 or 4.

WTF am I "criticizing"?

P3 and P4 had a big jump in graphical quality, liveliness of the world, the music's ability to blend into the world with better tech, and more.

It was a generational jump that improved everything to the point it holds its head higher

cj_iwakura

I give up. Apparently daring to say that one game does something better than another is just attacking that game.

This is ridiculous, and you taking the idea of contrasting opinions as a personal insult isn't helping it.

You're the one belittling P2's storytelling without trying to back it up. If you want to just drive-by bash, that's fine too.

LX_Theo

Banned
You're the one belittling P2's storytelling without trying to back it up. If you want to just drive-by bash, that's fine too.

Like I said. I give up. You're not willing to a word I have said on it, so whatever. You're not worth it.

But stop saying me saying P3 and P4 having better storytelling than P2 is belittling it. I don't believe even you can say that with a straight face. If anything, you're just trying to insult P3 and P4 by pretending that is an insult.

PK Gaming

Yeah. Hopefully Persona 5 succeeds in a way where opting to go with a female protagonist over a male one in the sequel will still garner a ton of a sales.

Plus, it would be yet another JoJo coincidence (heh)

PK Gaming

With all due respect, you completely butchered his argument and somehow managed to interpret it as a slight against Persona 2. I'm honestly really disappointed right now, because this isn't even a first for you. You always get irrational and confrontational at the mere notion of someone preferring Persona3/4 over 2 in any category, and you always misrepresent said person's argument when they fight back.

Knock it off.

cj_iwakura

With all due respect, you completely butchered his argument and somehow managed to interpret it as a slight against Persona 2. I'm honestly really disappointed right now, because this isn't even a first for you. You always get irrational and confrontational at the mere notion of someone preferring Persona3/4 over 2 in any category, and you always misrepresent said person's argument when they fight back.

Knock it off.

Well if everyone kept belittling your favorite RPG every time you turned around, you'd probably get irritated too. And I think his comment was pretty cut-and-dry.

All I did was ask why he thought P2 had inferior storytelling, and I've yet to get an answer.

LX_Theo

Banned
Well if everyone kept belittling your favorite RPG every time you turned around, you'd probably get irritated too. And I think his comment was pretty cut-and-dry.

All I did was ask why he thought P2 had inferior storytelling, and I've yet to get an answer.
How many times do I have to tell you... I'm NOT belittling it. I really like P2. Being worse than P3 and P4 is not an insult. Especially when P4G is one of my favorite games of all time. You've basically declared that not agreeing with your opinion on it equals belittlement of the game.

I gave you an answer. Several times. You just pretended it never existed. So I'm not even going to bother. You want an answer? Go actually read my posts with something resembling a level head.

PK Gaming

You should phrase your questions better:

By all means, enlighten me on what 2 does wrong.

Is pretty damn rude. Nobody is going to want to give you the time of day with that kind of abrasive attitude. And besides, he already gave you an answer:

WTF am I "criticizing"?

P3 and P4 had a big jump in graphical quality, liveliness of the world, the music's ability to blend into the world with better tech, and more.

It was a generational jump that improved everything to the point it holds its head higher

Sophia

For what it's worth, he merely disagreed initially, rather than outright belittled. You were the one who turned it hostile with the implications that he was criticizing P2/suggesting there was something outright wrong with the game. PK is pretty much right. Both in that you need to phrase your questions better, and in that you really need to not try and take everything confrontational and personal. It makes everyone roll their eyes and think "Here we go again" rather than want to try and have an actual conversation.

At the same time...

How many times do I have to tell you... I'm NOT belittling it. I really like P2. Being worse than P3 and P4 is not an insult. Especially when P4G is one of my favorite games of all time. You've basically declared that not agreeing with your opinion on it equals belittlement of the game.

I gave you an answer. Several times. You just pretended it never existed. So I'm not even going to bother. You want an answer? Go actually read my posts with something resembling a level head.

I'll be honest with you, Theo. I'm not certain of what exactly your original answer was, reading back on the posts. Try to make your opinion and points more clear in the future. It solves a lot of problems beforehand if you're straight out full on details rather than one liners. This post especially doesn't really say much. It's just counter-antagonizing.

Seeing as there is more to this thread than just merely Iwakura, I personally would like to hear more of what you mean by the differences in storytelling. Especially if they're different from how I perceived them.

cj_iwakura

You should phrase your questions better

Is pretty damn rude. Nobody is going to want to give you the time of day with that kind of abrasive attitude. And besides, he gave you an answer:

And "I think you underestimating how many factors effect storytelling." isn't a belittling way to respond?

LX_Theo

Banned
And "I think you underestimating how many factors effect storytelling." isn't a belittling way to respond?

Your response was about how the silent protagonist was the same and the only difference was how much dungeon crawling there was. All I did was respond that there's more to it than those aspects. And I made myself more specific in the next post when I realize my point may not have got across.

That's belittling Persona 2 now? My goodness.

cj_iwakura

Your response was about how the silent protagonist was the same and the only difference was how much dungeon crawling there was. All I did was respond that there's more to it than those aspects. And I made myself more specific in the next post when I realize my point may not have got across.

That's belittling Persona 2 now? My goodness.

No, it belittles me, like I don't know what storytelling is.

LX_Theo

Banned
No, it belittles me, like I don't know what storytelling is.

You yelled like five times that I was belittling Persona 2 and its storytelling (quite specifically I might add), and now you're going to pretend you were talking about yourself?

**** it. I'm not even going to respond again. Talking with you is a literal waste of time.

cj_iwakura

You yelled like five times that I was belittling Persona 2 and its storytelling (quite specifically I might add), and now you're going to pretend you were talking about yourself?

**** it. I'm not even going to respond again. Talking with you is a literal waste of time.

When did I yell? Yeesh, for once we agree.

Sophia

Seeing as my post is now over 10 minutes old, and both mine and PK's attempts to be reasonable about this have failed, I will put this more bluntly.

Knock it off. Both of you. Or I'm getting a mod.

None of us really want to hear you two go on an argument over who said what. Take it to PMs if you must continue it.

Persona won't have a female protagonist going forward unless it's an optional one, let's be real.

I feel for the kind of game Persona is it absolutely should have the option and I think it would be entirely fair to dock P5 for not having one.

I think P4 Golden would have been better off dropping the mostly crap extra stuff in favor of a properly integrated female main character.

Rubedo

Persona won't have a female protagonist going forward unless it's an optional one, let's be real.

I feel for the kind of game Persona is it absolutely should have the option and I think it would be entirely fair to dock P5 for not having one.

I think P4 Golden would have been better off dropping the mostly crap extra stuff in favor of a properly integrated female main character.

Well I think SMT: If... had an option for if you want to be male or female and Personas 1 and 2 showed the female one was the canon one. So Atlus could have a canon female protagonist in Persona at some point.

cj_iwakura

Well I think SMT: If... had an option for if you want to be male or female and Personas 1 and 2 showed the female one was the canon one. So Atlus could have a canon female protagonist in Persona at some point.

I think EP's lackluster sales kind of pooched that notion. Could just be the adult thing, though.

Sophia

Even when Persona has a significant female playerbase that the developers and those involved with Persona products keep bringing up?

What theater in Japan was it that said the majority of the audience for the first Persona 3 movie were actually women? It was like the Wald 9 or something.

I really think the choice of a male/female option depends on where they're heading with their storytelling. If it goes more in the direction of Persona 5's Phantom and having more of a pre-established personality, we're less likely to see that.

FluxWaveZ

What theater in Japan was it that said the majority of the audience for the first Persona 3 movie were actually women? It was like the Wald 9 or something.

I really think the choice of a male/female option depends on where they're heading with their storytelling. If it goes more in the direction of Persona 5's Phantom and having more of a pre-established personality, we're less likely to see that.

Yeah, it was Wald 9. There've been numerous mentions of the female fanbase for the series, like how Famitsu was surprised at how many people were playing P4AU to comments about PSL 2015.

I don't know its likelihood, but I'd want to see a female protagonist with the personality of a P5 phantom or a Maya (without an EP neutering). That'd be pretty cool.

Sophia

Yeah, it was Wald 9. There've been numerous mentions of the female fanbase for the series, like how Famitsu was surprised at how many people were playing P4AU to comments about PSL 2015.

I don't know its likelihood, but I'd want to see a female protagonist with the personality of a P5 phantom or a Maya (without an EP neutering). That'd be pretty cool.

I do want a female protagonist myself, but mostly because I find it slightly difficult to relate to a silent protagonist who doesn't have much in the way of personality. Especially a male one that the creators are asking me to name. Neither the P3 or P4 protagonist were very endearing to me until they evolved into the current personality types they have today. In the same way, I didn't think much of the Persona 1 protagonist until I read the manga.

On this same logic, The Phantom is significantly more interesting as a protagonist because he's already got trappings of an established personality. I can relate to him more because of this.

cj_iwakura

I do want a female protagonist myself, but mostly because I find it slightly difficult to relate to a silent protagonist who doesn't have much in the way of personality. Especially a male one that the creators are asking me to name. Neither the P3 or P4 protagonist were very endearing to me until they evolved into the current personality types they have today. In the same way, I didn't think much of the Persona 1 protagonist until I read the manga.

On this same logic, The Phantom is significantly more interesting as a protagonist because he's already got trappings of an established personality. I can relate to him more because of this.

Is The Phantom what everyone's calling him? I was partial to Shujin.

I would like to see female protagonists in the future. In a perfect world, i would want both a male and female MC, but that won't happen cause canon, unless they go with FeMC and only add a female MC in remasters. I can relate to both P3MC and FeMC, and really enjoyed them both. The FeMC's take on situations, dialogue choices, and social link directions greatly related to how i would have wanted to go through P3 as the P3MC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom