• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

arue

P4D cover art

CA7n_P2VEAA8b6E.jpg:orig
The cover art just screams "Dance!" and I love it.

Glad to see that Nanako made it in the cover. I was not expecting everybody to do the Teddie dance pose though.

Dantis

The cover art just screams "Dance!" and I love it.

Glad to see that Nanako made it in the cover. I was not expecting everybody to do the Teddie dance pose though.

It's the Saturday Night Fever pose. Soejima's put lots of 70s references in his art for the game.

I feel like Soejima's 70s references feel weird in the context of the actual game as a whole, seeing as it's much more J pop idol than it is 70s. Someone should let him know. :p

EDIT: For reference.

It's the Saturday Night Fever pose. Soejima's put lots of 70s references in his art for the game.

I feel like Soejima's 70s references feel weird in the context of the actual game as a whole, seeing as it's much more J pop idol than it is 70s. Someone should let him know. :p

EDIT: For reference.

Disco ball logo was too good to drop, so they had to roll with it, at least for the promotional art.

Dantis

But the game's main theme song is 70s inspired.

The lyrics are super 70s style. The song isn't though.

Disco ball logo was too good to drop, so they had to roll with it, at least for the promotional art.

I think it's more that Soejima sticks to his own thing. Like how Narukami is portrayed differently in other art. I think somewhere during a meeting someone probably suggested a 70s inspiration and he's just rolling with it through thick and thin.

And one song is simply that.

Naturally, if you’re going to make a game about dancing, then the theme song should be one that’s worth dancing to in and of itself, right? So when looked at from that angle, in my mind, the best era for dance music that fits in well for Persona 4 is the 70s. [Atlus staffers such as Soejima have previously discussed how parts of the original game were meant to feel retro to a degree, especially with respect to character design.] And if you’re going to go with the 70s, then it’s pretty natural to arrive at putting in disco influences into the mix, which is how I ultimately arrived at the opening song we have now.

At first, it was suggested that I just try to blend a bunch of Persona 4 songs together, but that turned out to be harder than I thought, so, honestly, I just gave up on that after a while. (Laughs.) I wasn’t inherently against the idea altogether, though, so there is a little bit of “Pursuing My True Self,” Persona 4‘s original opening song, in the final theme. And then once I got help from Shihoko Hirata on the sung vocals and Lotus Juice for the rapping parts, that’s when it finally felt like we arrived at a dance song befitting Persona 4.

Disco influences.

Dantis

I mean, we could argue over how 70s the song feels, but the larger point I was making is that the game is much more J pop and idols than it is 70s. The 70s references in all the promo art feel like they contrast the actual game, regardless of what you think of Dance. The most significant contrast, to me at least, is the actual dancing, which seems to be straight up J pop dances.

Also Kozuka saying he was influenced by disco doesn't actually mean much at all if it doesn't come through in the final product.

I mean, we could argue over how 70s the song feels, but the larger point I was making is that the game is much more J pop and idols than it is 70s. The 70s references in all the promo art feel like they contrast the actual game, regardless of what you think of Dance. The most significant contrast, to me at least, is the actual dancing, which seems to be straight up J pop dances.

Also Kozuka saying he was influenced by disco doesn't actually mean much at all if it doesn't come through in the final product.

I agree with you. I was posting the quote in an opposite meaning.

Disco influenced, doesn't mean the song itself is very 70's.

Key visuals are weird, but they are fun and it's a rhythm game, so who cares.

Dantis

To be fair, her role in Ultimax was as minor as is physically possible. And she was DLC.

I actually think she'd fit into P4D really well.

84X

Banned
I actually really like the cover, I think it conveys the sillyness of the game well. (However I will say it's not composed that great for a vita case...)

Not a fan of Nanako being subjected to Kanami's awful outfit through.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, it's a great box art. The only spin-off's box art that I did not like was Persona 4 Arena's, in the end.

Not a fan of Nanako being subjected to Kanami's awful outfit through.

I probably would have preferred Nanako there in her normal outfit, at least. Box art probably confirms that it'll be an alt costume for her.

FluxWaveZ

Anyone think the NA/EU cover will be different?

This will never fly in america.

I'm not saying it's because it's provocative, but because this would be marketing suicide for them. Catherine is one thing, thats the kind of cover that will sell copies on its own. But a posing Yu taking frontstage with a clusterfuck of other characters and this is not going to appeal to any window shopper.

DNAbro

I'm not saying it's because it's provocative, but because this would be marketing suicide for them. Catherine is one thing, thats the kind of cover that will sell copies on its own. But a posing Yu taking frontstage with a clusterfuck of other characters and this is not going to appeal to any window shopper.

Let's be real, a dancing game based off a JRPG series on the Vita was never going to appeal to the average consumer.

If you are buying it, it probably is because you know exactly what it is.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening

So maybe a single character pose? like just Yu by himself.

But that's what they did with Ultimax, and that didnt change covers from JP to US/EU, it just had a name change (for the worse, I love The Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold).

I think that'll be the final art, and to be honest, I love it. It instantly showcases exactly what this game is going to be, dumb and fun!

I disagree. I think it will ship with this cover. They didn't change the cover art for Ultimax, which to any Persona fan is hype, but most NA gamers would give it a second WTF glance before putting it down and picking up something else.

FluxWaveZ

Persona is a niche series, and then P4D is part of a niche genre based on a niche series. I'm going to go out of the way to say if they did keep the cover, they would probably change Yu's pose (only way I see them keeping this). If the brand was much stronger (think multimillion) in america, I could see them pulling it off.

Anyways, why does the alternate to this cover immediately have to be classified as bland and typical? You're way too emotionally invested in a cover guys.

muteki

Wonder if they will add other characters (like Marie) to the cover as time goes on like Ultimax.

Looks great to me outside Nanako in Kanamin's outfit.

I almost feel like we won't be getting any DLC characters if characters are locked to specific songs, unless they release character packs bundled with 5 or so additional songs. No one's gonna want to pay for a character they'll rarely get to use.

Dantis

I almost feel like we won't be getting any DLC characters if characters are locked to specific songs, unless they release character packs bundled with 5 or so additional songs. No one's gonna want to pay for a character they'll rarely get to use.

I still don't think characters will be locked to songs. It would be super lame.

The songs which were Kanamin's, for example, I just wouldn't want to play.

Yeah, I wouldn't rule out more unrevealed characters in the base game, but unless they're going to be putting a lot of effort into adding them specifically for the dlc tracks, which it doesn't look like it from the Never More one, I can't see dlc characters working.

I guess I'm the only one imagining that the big disco ball is actually Kagutsuchi? That would be one heck of a final boss!

I wonder if the packages for the CRAZY VALUE PACK and PREMIUM CRAZY PACK will also change.

FluxWaveZ

Pretty sure he's referencing what someone said about the Ultimax box art...

Heh, bingo. Of course the North American box art for P4D will remain the same.

That's a good point about DLC characters if characters are restricted to songs. I never really saw DLC characters happening, but I definitely don't think we've seen the entire playable cast yet.

The presumably final send-off to the Investigation Team era Persona 4 cast, and they wouldn't have Marie? When she was in a fighting game, of all things, despite the fact that she would fit in less narratively with that than with this? It's an inevitability.

Didn't they forget about her for the first Arena game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom