• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubedo

So, Persona 5.

Now that we have a much better understanding of what the game will entail, what game system do you hope they implement?

For me, I would love if they had different personas giving different abilities in the field, not just in combat, even if it's certain types of personas sharing an ability.

Also, side quests that actually take place during the current time period, not backtracking ones like P4.

Well there's several things I'd like to see gameplay wise but they range from "Highly Unlikely" to "Somewhat Likely".

The more likely ones I'd like to see implemented are a more complex form of social link (different paths for the link to go rather than just a single straight progression for instance) and Social Links powering Personas in a more tangible way. What I mean by that is that, instead of your social link rank just providing a one time exp boost upon fusion, maybe your social link rank could constantly give some kind of bonus to Personas of that Arcana. Like maybe a Rank 5 in the Fool Arcana gives Personas of that Arcana a 5 point Luck boost while Rank 10 gives them a 10 point boost. Strength Arcana boosts Strength and so on.

Weiss

Banned
So, Persona 5.

Now that we have a much better understanding of what the game will entail, what game system do you hope they implement?

For me, I would love if they had different personas giving different abilities in the field, not just in combat, even if it's certain types of personas sharing an ability.

Also, side quests that actually take place during the current time period, not backtracking ones like P4.

FYI, the Raidou Kuzunoha games do that, where you summon demons on the field to perform specific tasks tailored to their races.

I want to see the return of Fusion Attacks from Persona 2, or something like the Combos from Digital Devil Saga. It's cool to be able to team up with your party members for devastating attacks.

Doubtful that it'll happen now that it's been confirmed we'll have more party members, but I would love for the entire party to have access to the Wild Card.

Branching, and more interconnected Social Links would be cool.

Something I really hope isn't there is the requisite sauna scene, and cutting down on the fanservice.

I want to see some more dungeon variety so we aren't just hitting the same places time and time again.

So, finally getting around to playing The Answer in Persona 3: FES, and somehow i'm enjoying the combat alot more than i remember ever enjoying Persona 3/4's combat. I also played a bit of Persona Q today, and all i wanted to do was come back to P3 FES's combat, which i have never felt before.

Kazzy

Just beat the first boss in Persona 3 on PSP and man I'm liking it way more than 4. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love 4. But I'm enjoying the characters so much more. Plus the little changes in combat like the pierce and strike attacks and the resting system and their is more of a city to explore. Loving every bit of it. Is this not a popular opinion of Persona fans? I always see people recommend 4 over 3.

It sounds like more of a preference thing. Also, you need to consider the context by which many people were exposed to this franchise. First impressions can go such a long way in establishing long-standing beliefs. So just like FF7 was the breakthrough for its franchise, so too was Persona 4.

But it's great that you can enjoy the game on your own terms, because although it's not that old of an game, there are still people who claim that many of its gameplay mechanics feel antiquated (lack of direct party control), or otherwise misguided (Tartarus). The fact that you're experiencing P3 through the prism of having already played Persona 4, and can still come to that conclusion, is pretty commendable.

For as fervent as the fan-base can be, a lot of them are also a horrendously stubborn sort, and kind of cloister themselves within their own niche. True, anything pre-dating Persona 3 is very...outdated in comparison; but that's not to say that it deserves to occupy the ghetto, that so many seem willingly to consign that stuff to.

If I weren't so tired from writing university letters, I'd probably make a case as to why Persona 2 is the highpoint of the franchise's storytelling!

As an aside, to go back to your point on cities - it seems an odd point for you to raise, given you said that you're playing the PSP version. Precisely the reason why many still prefer FES (even with the absence of the female protagonist), is because the navigation isn't entirely menu driven, and those areas really go some way into informing that world. The lack of an in-game engine during cut-scenes, unfortunately lessens the impact of several of the more pivotal events.

[/B]

It sounds like more of a preference thing. Also, you need to consider the context by which many people were exposed to this franchise. First impressions can go such a long way in establishing long-standing beliefs. So just like FF7 was the breakthrough for its franchise, so too was Persona 4.

But it's great that you can enjoy the game on your own terms, because although it's not that old of an game, there are still people who claim that many of its gameplay mechanics feel antiquated (lack of direct party control), or otherwise misguided (Tartarus). The fact that you're experiencing P3 through the prism of having already played Persona 4, and can still come to that conclusion, is pretty commendable.

For as fervent as the fan-base can be, a lot of them are also a horrendously stubborn sort, and kind of cloister themselves within their own niche. True, anything pre-dating Persona 3 is very...outdated in comparison; but that's not to say that it deserves to occupy the ghetto, that so many seem willingly to consign that stuff to.

If I weren't so tired from writing university letters, I'd probably make a case as to why Persona 2 is the highpoint of the franchise's storytelling!

As an aside, to go back to your point on cities - it seems an odd point for you to raise, given you said that you're playing the PSP version. Precisely the reason why many still prefer FES (even with the absence of the female protagonist), is because the navigation isn't entirely menu driven, and those areas really go some way into informing that world. The lack of an in-game engine during cut-scenes, unfortunately lessens the impact of several of the more pivotal events.

You hit the nail right on the head. It's what makes the different games special to people.

PK Gaming

Definitely. None of the other Persona games really come close to matching it in that regard. (Especially if we're talking about P2:EP).

Sophia

Aegis: The First Mission had a better story than all of those. It was so good they put it on mobile and retconned it out of existence!

PK Gaming

Plot... Maybe. Storytelling? I'm inclined to disagree

I'll concede that Persona 2: Innocent frenetic pace and inconsistent nature can off putting to some, but the storytelling is pretty good all things considered. Actually, it's Persona 2: Eternal Punishment that elevates the storytelling to a level worth noting, especially if you consider the Tatsuya scenario, which features introspective monologues (a first for the series).

Nonsense and bollocks.

Persona 1 was the best.

I think I would have preferred it if there were more story sequences, but I guess the less-is-more approach was good too. HMMM.

Sophia

I think I would have preferred it if there were more story sequences, but I guess the less-is-more approach was good too. HMMM.

The expansion of scenes as shown in the manga proves that more story sequences would have made Persona 1 as equally as awesome as the rest of the franchise. If not more so.

Or: Why they should have done more for the PSP remake. With Tadashi at the helm!

CorvoSol

The expansion of scenes as shown in the manga proves that more story sequences would have made Persona 1 as equally as awesome as the rest of the franchise. If not more so.

Or: Why they should have done more for the PSP remake. With Tadashi at the helm!

If Tadashi were at the helm all the bonus content would be a quest where you play as him collecting posters of Tamaki and then watching him lick them.

:<

Anyway, P1 is the best because nobody in the whole rest of the franchise ever gets even half as real as Kei fuckin Nanjo.

Sophia

If Tadashi were at the helm all the bonus content would be a quest where you play as him collecting posters of Tamaki and then watching him lick them.

:<

Anyway, P1 is the best because nobody in the whole rest of the franchise ever gets even half as real as Kei fuckin Nanjo.

He was at the helm for the P2EP new content and we didn't get that!

I still want to try and find a way to play that, just because Aigis.

Apparently it's a pretty decent game, for an action based cellphone game from a pre-Android/iOS era.. Also apparently the music in it is god awful.

PK Gaming

Agreed. The story segments in the manga adaptation were superb.

Heavenly_Spear

Neo Member
1) What is your favorite persona character?
2) favorite persona game
3) favorite persona song
4) favorite persona scene
5) favorite persona
6) favorite s.link
7) What are your thoughts on the Kanamin trailer?

Hey, long time lurker, now member and huge Persona/Megaten fan! So since this little questionnaire seems to be a thing now, I'll start with that..

Aigis <3
2) favorite persona game
P3
3) favorite persona song
Burn my Dread (last battle vers)
Tough, but I'll put two that really stood out to me
When Aigis has the dying MC in their arms and in P2 when Yukino finds her resolve when you choose to take her with you after her guy dies. The voice actress did a phenomenal job express such intense emotion that Yukki was feeling. T_T
5) favorite persona
Adriane, Labrys' Persona. She looks absolutely gorgeous!
6) favorite s.link
The Hanged Man s.link from P4. Funny cause at first I really disliked the kid but as the s.link went on he became one of my favourite non-party characters.
Uh, haven't watched it yet.

Heavenly_Spear

Neo Member
I remember when I first played Persona 2:IS I thought the plot was all kinds of crazy and ridiculous. BUT it made sense in the context of the story (rumors becoming reality). Of course a lot of the stuff that was happening in the story was outlandish, rumors and conspiracies can be down right ridiculous.

So with that in mind, that aspect of the plot didn't bother me as much as it might have in another story. Plus, the game had wonderfully strong characters to keep me going!

Hey, long time lurker, now member and huge Persona/Megaten fan! So since this little questionnaire seems to be a thing now, I'll start with that..

Aigis <3
2) favorite persona game
P3
3) favorite persona song
Burn my Dread (last battle vers)
Tough, but I'll put two that really stood out to me
When Aigis has the dying MC in their arms and in P2 when Yukino finds her resolve when you choose to take her with you after her guy dies. The voice actress did a phenomenal job express such intense emotion that Yukki was feeling. T_T
5) favorite persona
Adriane, Labrys' Persona. She looks absolutely gorgeous!
6) favorite s.link
The Hermit s.link from P4. Funny cause at first I really disliked the kid but as the s.link went on he became one of my favourite non-party characters.
Uh, haven't watched it yet.
Welcome!!!

I'm just entering January in P3P (FeMC), actually. I wasn't the hugest fan of Aigis until very recently. Now she's definitely one of my favourites!!

I'm addicted to this game.

Nachos

You've got an Isabeau avatar, so you're cool in my books, though I'm a little confused by this:

6) favorite s.link
The Hermit s.link from P4. Funny cause at first I really disliked the kid but as the s.link went on he became one of my favourite non-party characters.
You mean the Hanged Man link? Hermit's the fox.

Heavenly_Spear

Neo Member
I feel you. It's destroying me as well.

Good choice with hanged man, tho :) I really disliked him at first, too. But I'm glad I took the time to max that s. link out!!

Tell me about it. I just finished some homework right now and I'm thinking of rewarding myself with some DDS. *0*

I actually never finished his link when I first played P4(vanillia). :( I'm hoping I can finally finish it in Golden BUT I haven't even started it (I think?) and It's already September...

Oh, I got a question I've been meaning to ask everyone! I've just been replaying P2:IS and there's something interesting I've noticed about Personas in that game. In P2 a few characters use their Personas to help them in their day to day life...like this one character Taro, I think, uses his Persona to somehow help him in door-to-door sales. It's kinda vague in HOW the Persona helps him, I'm guessing it some how gives Taro charisma or some how influences his costumers to buy his stuff?

It's only in P2 that we kinda see these "secondary" or "passive" Persona abilities. Do you think we'll see these again in P5? Like...I don't know, a person with a Persona with healing abilities becomes less susceptible to illness or heals faster?

Just watched Yosuke's trailer. <3 Definitely love how he doesn't care about if he looks lame anymore. Also I'm detecting more Yu x Yosuke in that trailer~ Also oh my god they finally fixed Chie's portrait.

Sophia

I just noticed Sophia's avatar. lol

On one hand, it was record time for someone noticing my avatar swap (nine minutes after I swapped it.)

On the other hand, so far nobody has declared it the end of the world nor practically begged me to switch back to Aigis because they can't identify my posts.

Oh, I got a question I've been meaning to ask everyone! I've just been replaying P2:IS and there's something interesting I've noticed about Personas in that game. In P2 a few characters use their Personas to help them in their day to day life...like this one character Taro, I think, uses his Persona to somehow help him in door-to-door sales. It's kinda vague in HOW the Persona helps him, I'm guessing it some how gives Taro charisma or some how influences his costumers to buy his stuff?

It's only in P2 that we kinda see these "secondary" or "passive" Persona abilities. Do you think we'll see these again in P5? Like...I don't know, a person with a Persona with healing abilities becomes less susceptible to illness or heals faster?

Taro himself is kind of unusual, seeing as he got his Persona in the first game, and his appearance in the second is kind of a cameo more than anything.

But yeah, this was kind of a side effect in regards to how Persona 1 and 2 portray Personas compared to how Persona 3 and Persona 4 portray them. Far more people had the power to summon a Persona in the first three games, compared to Persona 3 and Persona 4 where only the protagonists and antagonists seem to have the ability.

You might get what you want, however. As we saw in the initial trailer, the protagonist of P5 seems to have SOME sort of ability to make his job easier.

cj_iwakura

Plot... Maybe. Storytelling? I'm inclined to disagree

What makes P2's storytelling so different from P3 or P4, really? They basically use the same medium(silent protagonist), only 3 and 4 have less dungeon crawling and balance it with the school life aspects.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
On one hand, it was record time for someone noticing my avatar swap (nine minutes after I swapped it.)

On the other hand, so far nobody has declared it the end of the world nor practically begged me to switch back to Aigis because they can't identify my posts.

I like it.

LX_Theo

Banned
What makes P2's storytelling so different from P3 or P4, really? They basically use the same medium(silent protagonist), only 3 and 4 have less dungeon crawling and balance it with the school life aspects.
I think you underestimating how many factors effect storytelling.

Sophia

Persona 2's storyline is significantly breezier and event focused compared to Persona 3 and 4. Stuff happens fast in that game. You're into the action within the first 30 minutes in both IS and EP. Seems to be Tadashi's style too, as Persona 1 is the same way if you don't undertake sidequests.

Persona 3/4 in contrast are more character focused. The beginnings of both games are very long, and have scenes that explicitly exist to build the relationships between characters. It takes much longer to really get into the action and get your first battle.

Eternal Punishment also has the side effect of having a completely different type of cast (adults) from the usual fare of teeangers. The balance between character moments and Tadashi's fast pace style is especially good there.

I like it.

My Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires character looks like Queen, in a strange coincidence. Also, apparently, her birthday is the same as mine, and her personality isn't too far off mine either. Seemed fitting enough. >_>;

Heavenly_Spear

Neo Member

Taro himself is kind of unusual, seeing as he got his Persona in the first game, and his appearance in the second is kind of a cameo more than anything.

But yeah, this was kind of a side effect in regards to how Persona 1 and 2 portray Personas compared to how Persona 3 and Persona 4 portray them. Far more people had the power to summon a Persona in the first three games, compared to Persona 3 and Persona 4 where only the protagonists and antagonists seem to have the ability.

You might get what you want, however. As we saw in the initial trailer, the protagonist of P5 seems to have SOME sort of ability to make his job easier.

Mm, yeah in p1 and p2 everyone and their mom had a persona, it seemed.
But Yeah, I'm thinking it Arsene is giving him added agility for him to be able to pull heist. Maybe making him a better liar too? Heh, gotta keep appearances so no one suspects him.

cj_iwakura

Persona 2's storyline is significantly breezier and event focused compared to Persona 3 and 4. Stuff happens fast in that game. You're into the action within the first 30 minutes in both IS and EP. Seems to be Tadashi's style too, as Persona 1 is the same way if you don't undertake sidequests.

Persona 3/4 in contrast are more character focused. The beginnings of both games are very long, and have scenes that explicitly exist to build the relationships between characters. It takes much longer to really get into the action and get your first battle.

Eternal Punishment also has the side effect of having a completely different type of cast (adults) from the usual fare of teeangers. The balance between character moments and Tadashi's fast pace style is especially good there.

I agree on all parts, which is why I'm confused about Theo's dislike for it.

Although I think P3 hits the ground running as well, especially compared to P4.

And I like how there's a lot more Persona users in 1 and 2. It makes the player feel less special, and that they're more of a threat.

It's the same way in the Devil Summoner universe. There's an entire society of dark summoners in Soul Hackers.

I noticed this pretty quickly too, but it seems like the new avatar also fits you.

In P2 a few characters use their Personas to help them in their day to day life...like this one character Taro, I think, uses his Persona to somehow help him in door-to-door sales. It's kinda vague in HOW the Persona helps him, I'm guessing it some how gives Taro charisma or some how influences his costumers to buy his stuff?

Mara oozes charisma.

Sophia

I agree on all parts, which is why I'm confused about Theo's dislike for it.

Although I think P3 hits the ground running as well, especially compared to P4.

Persona 3 only hits the ground running compared to Persona 4's stupidly long intro. It takes almost two hours before you get full control in P3FES.

Although this does speak incredibly highly of Persona 4's storytelling that it takes nearly three hours to get full control and people still get hooked. Not many RPGs can claim their writing is that good.

("Full Control" in this case means when the game lets you do as you please. In both Persona 3 and Persona 4, help boxes pop up in the classroom telling you when you have that freedom.)

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
My Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires character looks like Queen, in a strange coincidence. Also, apparently, her birthday is the same as mine, and her personality isn't too far off mine either. Seemed fitting enough. >_>;

Interesting.

Sooooo.....who wants to talk about Persona 6?

Sophia

A Persona 6 with that Battle Royale style seems pretty awesome actually. Put a bunch of schools and students against each other, being forced to fight each other like during the night time for their lives or something similar.

The more Flux talks about it, the more I actually want to see it as a genuine theme. Plus the series really needs some proper Persona user vs Persona user action.

cj_iwakura

A Persona 6 with that Battle Royale style seems pretty awesome actually. Put a bunch of schools and students against each other, being forced to fight each other like during the night time for their lives or something similar.

The more Flux talks about it, the more I actually want to see it as a genuine theme. Plus the series really needs some proper Persona user vs Persona user action.

P3 blew it with Strega. Let me edit the game's AI and I could make them terrifying.

• Chidori does nothing but heal, buff, and debuff.
  • Jin constantly throws out ailments.
  • Takaya is pure destruction. Mind/Power charge, heavy attack magic.

Make them like the Demi-Fiend's posse in DDS. That's a rival fight.

Dantis

I think EP has a much better OST than 3 or 4.
Do you really? I can't stand it, personally. Like, IS benefitted hugely from the PSP remix, because it made it so that the OST wasn't limited by the technology, but with EP even that didn't help. I own the remix OST on CD (and the original, I guess) and outside of a few tracks (Map 2, Deadline, Final Battle EX) I never, ever listen to it.

cj_iwakura

Do you really? I can't stand it, personally. Like, IS benefitted hugely from the PSP remix, because it made it so that the OST wasn't limited by the technology, but with EP even that didn't help. I own the remix OST on CD (and the original, I guess) and outside of a few tracks (Map 2, Deadline, Final Battle EX) I never, ever listen to it.

Absolutely. There's only one or two tracks out of a ~60 track OST I dislike. I bought the EP OST more than a decade ago, and I listen to it all the time.

Sophia

P3 blew it with Strega. Let me edit the game's AI and I could make them terrifying.

• Chidori does nothing but heal, buff, and debuff.
  • Jin constantly throws out ailments.
  • Takaya is pure destruction. Mind/Power charge, heavy attack magic.

Make them like the Demi-Fiend's posse in DDS. That's a rival fight.

Well... P3 spoilers:
you never actually fight all three of them at once. The first fight is Takaya and Jin, the second fight is Chidori alone, and then you fight Takaya and Jin separately. So what you're proposing wouldn't work.

Sure it did, the EP Portable remix of Great Evil is fantastic for that reason. Only a few tracks (including sadly the main battle theme) really didn't get improved upon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom