• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of interest, how many people here actually played through all of Ultimax's story themselves?

I finished Ultimax's story, but I'll be honest in saying it's my least favorite story in the Persona series. It was all around disappointing to say the least, the story had lots of potential to be good, but they completely botched it in the execution. Felt very repetitive and rehashed a lot plot points to the point that I was just simply getting bored and wanted to fast forward through it to just finish it.

Also (Final Boss SPOILERS)
I'm not a fan of the true final boss Kagutsuchi, he's is more or less just a wannabe Nyarlathotep, except now on fire. LAME!

Rainy

Banned
So I know the P4 PSN version had a problem where sometimes your save got deleted...does the PSN version of P3 FES have the same problem?

I finished Ultimax's story, but I'll be honest in saying it's my least favorite story in the Persona series. It was all around disappointing to say the least, the story had lots of potential to be good, but they completely botched it in the execution. Felt very repetitive and rehashed a lot plot points to the point that I was just simply getting bored and wanted to fast forward through it to just finish it.

I'm not a fan of the true final boss Kagutsuchi, he's is more or less just a wannabe Nyarlathotep, except now on fire. LAME!

A wannabe Nyarlathotep that looks like Erebus on fire.

EDIT: psn P3 used to have some problems, but it's been patched by now and my playthrough didn't suffer from anything.

Sophia

So I know the P4 PSN version had a problem where sometimes your save got deleted...does the PSN version of P3 FES have the same problem?

It had a similar issue where sometimes the save would fail, yes. Supposedly it was patched out tho. Still best to make multiple saves however.

No, it has a few 'weird' issues but it's probably the best Atlus PS2 port. That or Nocturne.

The PS2 Classics version of Nocturne is average. It has some minor issues here and there.

cj_iwakura

The PS2 Classics version of Nocturne is average. It has some minor issues here and there.

Not bad, considering Atlus' programmers are widely considered to be members of the Lucifuge.

I was tempted to double-dip, but news of the iffy port made me reluctant.

Mdesilva

Out of interest, how many people here actually played through all of Ultimax's story themselves?
I've been playing the game almost daily since release and didn't even try the story until a couple months ago. Then I got to… Ch.3? Whatever the Rise one was. And that was enough for me honestly. Didn't like the first game's story either, something about the writing just doesn't work for me.

I still play the game competitively though, and it's always awesome fun <3

I've been playing the game almost daily since release and didn't even try the story until a couple months ago. Then I got to&#8230; Ch.3? Whatever the Rise one was. And that was enough for me honestly. Didn't like the first game's story either, something about the writing just doesn't work for me.

I still play the game competitively though, and it's always awesome fun <3

I wonder what got you to stop so early. Was it the mouth flaps? The fact that it's just two character portraits talking to each other in front of a background slide? Or was it just did the writing not having the oomph it should have?

Mdesilva

I wonder what got you to stop so early. Was it the mouth flaps? The fact that it's just two character portraits talking to each other in front of a background slide? Or did the writing just not have the same oomph as it should have?
I just don't like the way it's written. It was like this in P4A as well and it just doesn't feel like the RPGs at all to me. Maybe just because it's focused on one character's POV and has inner dialogue and stuff? I don't know.

Rubedo

I didn't really like Ultimax's story a whole lot. Especially the thing about the Final Boss. But I at least thought it made a better attempt at story than the first P4 Arena did.

Nap1400

Not bad, considering Atlus' programmers are widely considered to be members of the Lucifuge.

I was tempted to double-dip, but news of the iffy port made me reluctant.

For the record, the worst thing that happened to me in Nocturne on PSN was some demons would freeze during their attack animations occasionally and force me to restart the game. It almost always happened right after I left a save point for some reason, so it was never too much of a problem.

It is kinda funny to see Dante swing his sword at an enemy and result in nothing, though.

Dantis

I just don't like the way it's written. It was like this in P4A as well and it just doesn't feel like the RPGs at all to me. Maybe just because it's focused on one character's POV and has inner dialogue and stuff? I don't know.
It's written differently because it's by different writers. That's what I was saying on the previous page.

CorvoSol

I kinda liked P4AU's final boss.
An evil fanboy deity
works great after you realize that Sho
is an evil fanboy for the two teams.
What I didn't like was the way the whole damn plot was BONDS BONDS BONDS SPLIT PERSONALITIES AND BONDS BONDS BONDAGE

Setsu00

I kinda liked P4AU's final boss.
An evil fanboy deity
works great after you realize that Sho
is an evil fanboy for the two teams.
What I didn't like was the way the whole damn plot was BONDS BONDS BONDS SPLIT PERSONALITIES AND BONDS BONDS BONDAGE

I was actually looking forward to Sho especially because of his split personality. The concept has so much potential within the Persona universe that it's all more disappointing how lame Sho ended up being.

I finished Ultimax's story as well. It wasn't as bad as the leaked script made it look, but it was still a massive drop in writing quality. Anyway, I think Sho can still be salvaged from the scrappy heap in a future game.

Drop

I'm kinda late but all of those Mitsuru drawings are amazing!

Now for the questionnaire:
1) What are your general thoughts on Mitsuru? Why do you like/dislike her?
I like the character, I like her determination to make up for her family's errors, but she fails to impress me compared to other SEES members as she's not as interesting as most of the others, her design in fine, and as a party member she's probably my least favorite of the p3 cast.

2) What do you think of her Social Link?
It kind of ruins the characters to me, the whole social link is really weird and doesn't make much sense, I don't think I'll aim to max it again outside of a max slink run.

3) What did you think about her role in Persona 3? Persona 4 Arena?
I like her role as a leader in p3, she's the obvious responsible character any party needs, I especially liked her conflict with Yukari.
Regarding Arena, I think her role as the shadow operative's leader is a natural progression of her character, especially considering she still feels responsible for her family's errors and she's still determined to make up for them.

4) What are your thoughts on her Persona(s)? Say anything that comes to mind.
Not a fan of Pentesilea, but I really like Artemisia.

BONUS: Favorite Mitsuru outfit
Her normal school uniform.

About Yukiko's p4d trailer, her dancing style is the most different so far, but also the weirdest, not sure what to think about it.
I'm also not a fan of that Heartbeat heartbreak remix, but I guess it's better for dancing than the original.

CorvoSol

I was actually looking forward to Sho especially because of his split personality. The concept has so much potential within the Persona universe that it's all more disappointing how lame Sho ended up being.

I finished Ultimax's story as well. It wasn't as bad as the leaked script made it look, but it was still a massive drop in writing quality. Anyway, I think Sho can still be salvaged from the scrappy heap in a future game.

Yeah, I think Sho's quirks could've been worked out. On the whole though, I'm still really okay with the way the P4 Spin Off Games have been. Almost done with the final dungeon in Q.
Labrys > Rei > Zen > Sho

Cool ^, great news if its true!

As I'm playing P4G, can anyone tell me if Naoto and Kanji are now a canon P4G couple? Does Naoto show any interest at all in the MC outside of the social link? This would be quite a giveaway if Naoto shows 0 interest in the MC.

Cool ^, great news if its true!

As I'm playing P4G, can anyone tell me if Naoto and Kanji are now a canon P4G couple? Does Naoto show any interest at all in the MC outside of the social link? This would be quite a giveaway if Naoto shows 0 interest in the MC.

No and No
(except a throwaway line at the end)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Pretty sure none of the girls show any interest in the MC (barring rise) outside of the social link or if you chose those conversation options that requires courage.

No and No
(except a throwaway line at the end)

what line? in what context? whats this referring to?

Pretty sure none of the girls show any interest in the MC (barring rise) outside of the social link or if you chose those conversation options that requires courage.

so naoto x kanji possible or far-fetched wishful thinking? does naoto even find kanji
attractive in anyway?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It is if you want to be man. They leave it open for a reason.

They say that the
ski-trip
kind of teases what the official couples are, but I disagree with it mostly because
Chie x Yosuke have nothing going for it
and also because
Yosuke deserves to die alone and miserable.

That last bit might be going a bit too far. :p

what line? in what context? whats this referring to?

so naoto x kanji possible or far-fetched wishful thinking? does naoto even find kanji
attractive in anyway?

"Maybe I should stick to my original plan and take the train back with you, Senpai."
"Kidding, of course. I couldnt do something like that."

There is no Naoto x Kanji, its a one sided crush on Kanji's side and that's all it's ever portrayed as.

It is if you want to be man. They leave it open for a reason.

They say that the
ski-trip
kind of teases what the official couples are, but I disagree with it mostly because
Chie x Yosuke have nothing going for it
and also because
Yosuke deserves to die alone and miserable.

That last bit might be going a bit too far. :p

To be fair, part of the reason why I
ship Yosuke and Chie
is because of
their own horribleness
. They deserve each other in the best and worst way.

Setsu00

I'm sorry for the messiness... and how she looks like a vampire.

tumblr_nmp45kjR911ry8an7o1_1280.png

1) What are your general thoughts on Mitsuru? Why do you like/dislike her?
She has my favorite design among the P3 girls. I still remember how I desperately tried to get her back as my navigator once Fuuka joined the party.

2) What do you think of her Social Link?
I went blind into P3P when I first played it and I had no idea how to quickly improve my stats in order to actually start the S.Link. Seriously, those starting restrictions are the worst even if they kinda make sense. Anyway, I ended up not doing her S.Link because of this.

3) What did you think about her role in Persona 3? Persona 4 Arena?
I like her relationship with Yukari and as I already mentioned I liked her as my navigator. I'm more or less ambivalent towards her Arena incarnation. The only thing that stuck with me was her weird costume.

4) What are your thoughts on her Persona(s)? Say anything that comes to mind.
Artemisia is cool, I guess.

BONUS: Favorite Mitsuru outfit
Her P4AU epilogue outfit.

Naoto x Kanji is about as real as Yosuke x Chie.

Dynamics that's constantly present that could be read as ship-tease if you wish it to be, but it's mainly (and probably only) there to broaden the Investigation Team relationship dynamic.

For Yosuke x Chie, it's their head-butting friendship, and for Naoto x Kanji, it's Kanji's one-sided crush and Naoto's relative obliviousness to it.

cj_iwakura

Oh boy, it's that time again! ('Ship-tease', that's a new one.)

I usually like to divide it up so everyone gets to be happy.
P4MC: Yukiko and/or Rise(mistress status)
Yosuke: Chie
Kanji: Naoto

P3's a little trickier.

CorvoSol

Chie definitely implies an interest in the MC. Especially whenever Rise is making overtures. You could read it as just her not liking Rise's PDAs, but that's sort of obviously not how it's meant to be taken.

Setsu00

Same, shame that Raidou 1 and DDS are just unplayable. It's also strange that both of their sequels play better than the first.

I have to disagree with this. I played the PSN version of Raidou 1 and I thought it was absolutely fine. Is there any reason why you think that the game is unplayable?

Nimby

Banned
I have to disagree with this. I played the PSN version of Raidou 1 and I thought it was absolutely fine. Is there any reason why you think that the game is unplayable?

Some people say Raidou 1 plays fine, but for me it's not. Off-sync cutscenes, abysmal framerate are the biggest problems. It definitely feels like someone is trying to emulate this on their shitty computer, which is honestly what is happening but I expected better results. DDS is the same case albeit worse. I've tried reinstalling both but it doesn't fix any of the problems.

Same, shame that Raidou 1 and DDS are just unplayable. It's also strange that both of their sequels play better than the first.

I'm playing through DDS1 right now. It's tedious, but not unplayable by any means.
Though that audio glitch in cutscenes kind of ruins a few scenes.

I'm playing through DDS1 right now. It's tedious, but not unplayable by any means.
Though that audio glitch in cutscenes kind of ruins a few scenes.

The audio being out of sync made the game more entertaining, having death screams or demon roars appear out of nowhere during scenes of characters talking was consistently hilarious.

CorvoSol

Chie and Yosuke are definitely the kind of high school friends that hook up after graduation, marry quickly, then have a fiery divorce 2 years later

I joked with PK that Chie and Yosuke are the type who have a drunken one night stand in college and never ever talk about it ever again.

Shauni

So, I'm pretty new to the series. Finished P4G recently, and it was pretty fantastic. I'm planning to get P3P whenever it goes on sale again (I may break down before then). Was curious what the general thoughts were of the anime? Worth really watching? I liked the story and characters, but I'm not sure if I really particularly care for something that's just a straight regurgitation of the game's story.

Also, from what I hear the first two Persona games (or three, technically, I guess) are quite a bit different from P3 and P4. Still worth checking out?

PK Gaming

Hey um, guys, do you think that Dojima x Adachi is canon, I mean they are partners and Golden added a few events where Adachi eats at Dojima's place. So uh, do you think that pairing is canon now?

Guys???

LX_Theo

Banned
So, I'm pretty new to the series. Finished P4G recently, and it was pretty fantastic. I'm planning to get P3P whenever it goes on sale again (I may break down before then). Was curious what the general thoughts were of the anime? Worth really watching? I liked the story and characters, but I'm not sure if I really particularly care for something that's just a straight regurgitation of the game's story.

Also, from what I hear the first two Persona games (or three, technically, I guess) are quite a bit different from P3 and P4. Still worth checking out?

Its not much beyond the game itself. It adds a dimension by giving MC a personality fitting of a silent protagonist, but its not anything groundbreaking. Watch if you get in the mood to try it. Hardly essentially material to watch.

The first two(three) are worth picking up on sale and giving a try. Different, but there's a decent chance you'll be pleasantly surprised (more likely by P2 than P1). Recall, the P2 duology should be played in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom