• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

I like being angry about stuff, so the P4G anime should be something I check out.

As Marie is apparently all over it, is there much fuck-awful poetry?

Every episode

tumblr_nab8vrVSM61sb30y2o2_1280.png

tumblr_n8vs5hP7wa1si48w3o2_400.gif

Greg Miller interviews Erin Fitzgerald (Chie) in a new video. She talks about Dancing All Night and her time with the character. Cool vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54sH5u6xqS8

Chie voice actress on KindaFunnyGames.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54sH5u6xqS8

-"say that you love me" (in chie's voice)

Greg asking the right questions.

edit: goddamn beaten by 13 minutes. Need to learn to read last post before posting myself.
Erin Fitzgerald seems to be one of the few that jumps at doing these thigns and legitimately seems to enjoy it

CorvoSol

Finished Inaba Pride.

3DS battery dead now, but oh man oh man oh man. Labrys is still undefeated but Rei and Zen just pushed Sho so far down with their jump, yo.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The funny thing is that it's not as if their characters changed or got better, it's just that their story became more interesting despite it being entirely predictable.

The funny thing is that it's not as if their characters changed or got better, it's just that their story became more interesting despite it being entirely predictable.
major as fuck PQ spoilers
cancer wasnt predictable though....and it never is. Unless you really pieced together the lock of hair from the third dungeon. The fact that rei died of cancer though made that so much more painful than otherwise, and I'm sure it hit home for a lot of people

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Well yeah probably not that part, but I think what was going to go down was fairly obvious halfway through.

Doesn't stop the impact of it though, and when you look back at how the dungeon themes relate is pretty interesting. Though I still don't really understand how the 1st dungeon's theme fits in.

Well yeah probably not that part, but I think what was going to go down was fairly obvious halfway through.

Doesn't stop the impact of it though, and when you look back at how the dungeon themes relate is pretty interesting. Though I still don't really understand how the 1st dungeon's theme fits in.
childhood fantasy?

2 and 3 definitely made the most sense

Setsu00

I might be imagining this, but
doesn't Rei mention at one point that a nurse kept reading stories to her
? Other than that, Alice in Wonderland was probably used because of its escapist themes which is pretty much
what Rei does the whole time

The second and third labyrinths are pretty obvious, but the fourth one might just relate to how
Rei just wanted to be a normal girl and going to festivals is just one of the things you do as a person that enjoys social interaction

Makio

From that interview with Fitzgerald.

I’m pretty sure I’m allowed to say that we’re finishing up the ‘Persona Dance’.

So Persona 4 Dancing (english) coming very soon after the japanese release

Aiming to a early August Release for me

VegiHam

So like, thinking about Marie, I have a question for people who speak Japanese. Is her poetry intentionally terribad? Like, when I played I assumed it was supposed to be funny that she wrote god awful poems and kept trying because she liked it anyway; and that she got embarrassed cus she knew they were cringy and didn't want them seen. Am I way off base here? Like, were they supposed to be great and the writing just sucks? Were they good in Japanese? Have I been misunderstanding her the whole time?

DNAbro

So like, thinking about Marie, I have a question for people who speak Japanese. Is her poetry intentionally terribad? Like, when I played I assumed it was supposed to be funny that she wrote god awful poems and kept trying because she liked it anyway; and that she got embarrassed cus she knew they were cringy and didn't want them seen. Am I way off base here? Like, were they supposed to be great and the writing just sucks? Were they good in Japanese? Have I been misunderstanding her the whole time?

I'm pretty sure they were supposed to be over dramatic and not very good.

So like, thinking about Marie, I have a question for people who speak Japanese. Is her poetry intentionally terribad? Like, when I played I assumed it was supposed to be funny that she wrote god awful poems and kept trying because she liked it anyway; and that she got embarrassed cus she knew they were cringy and didn't want them seen.

I think you hit the nail on the head here, at least that's how I always interpreted it.

yea I was always under the impression they were meant to be bad, whether marie knew they were bad or not I think is a little less sure. Her embarrassment could have been just because they were her inner thoughts, or because she knew they were bad

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
major as fuck PQ spoilers
cancer wasnt predictable though....and it never is. Unless you really pieced together the lock of hair from the third dungeon. The fact that rei died of cancer though made that so much more painful than otherwise, and I'm sure it hit home for a lot of people

Sorry for being pedantic but
they never specify any disease. She says that they cut ger hair for an operation, not that she lost it through treatment.

Setsu00

Poetry is (like any form of art) subjective, so I can only tell you that the poems don't differ a lot between the English and the Japanese versions. However, given the context of those scenes and how the other characters react to them in PQ I think you are correct in thinking that the poems were meant to be bad.

What I do like to mention though is that the poem in Innocent Sin, Heinrich Heine's Der Doppelgänger, sounds just as weird as some of Marie's poems in the original German version.

The poems are supposed to be bad, but the scenes where you read them in P4G seem to tend to assume their terribleness is self evident and otherwise doesn't call any attention to their quality, so I think it might be too subtle--like, the player is kind of left wondering what that was all about, not laughing at bad poetry.

It doesn't help that the poetry is used
in a goofy attempt at poignancy in her dungeon

Nap1400

Of course, Persona Q solves that by having Margaret point out how bad Marie's poetry is at various points in the story, so they probably realized that mistake later on.

VegiHam

Thanks for the tons of responses guys! OK, so deliberately bad seems to be the consensus then?

I like the use of them in her dungeon; cus they are her feelings; as with everyone elses dungeon dialogue. I think it's part of the learning humanity thing. Like this insanely alien person gets the idea of poems and is trying to make them herself; expressing her new memories in a way she wouldn't be able to without her human experiences.

Sorry for being pedantic but
they never specify any disease. She says that they cut ger hair for an operation, not that she lost it through treatment.

Just like how they didn't specify what
Hisano's husband
was suffering from, though in that case it was pretty heavily implied to be
Alzheimer's.

Flarin

Hmm...

Well, it sounds like Atlus USA hasn't gotten to the point of VA casting on P5 yet, despite finishing up on P4DAN. Or they lied through their teeth to Erin.

Yeah, that sorta sucks. I'm hoping against hope for 2015, but every time I hear anything about P5 in the West Atlus USA's like "We don't know anything!" so I feel like it's gonna be 2016 at this point.
Or they could be the best liars ever and it'll be a worldwide release lol

DNAbro

Yeah, that sorta sucks. I'm hoping against hope for 2015, but every time I hear anything about P5 in the West Atlus USA's like "We don't know anything!" so I feel like it's gonna be 2016 at this point.
Or they could be the best liars ever and it'll be a worldwide release lol

Well the people we hear from are social people who from I've heard, don't hear things until Atlus USA wants it to be known.

I still think it will come 2015.

I said September for Japan, November/December for U.S and I'm sticking to that.

Olengie

July for DAN! Lol. Most likely August. But hey, who knows.

I'm still under the impression that P5 will come at the end of 2015. That or January/February 2016.

Flarin

Well the people we hear from are social people who from I've heard, don't hear things until Atlus USA wants it to be known.

I still think it will come 2015.

I said September for Japan, November/December for U.S and I'm sticking to that.

E3 can't come soon enough. I think Sony understands P5 has the potential to be huge and it would serve them well to show something at their E3 Presser.

Shauni

Whenever P5 hits, I'll probably break down and get a PS4. I wasn't planning to get one for a long, long time, but after playing P4 and seeing the trailer of P5 makes me want it. Could go PS3, I guess, but I've more or less sold/given away mine to my cousin, and I don't see myself buying a PS3 again unless I could find it cheap, like ass cheap.

Shauni

Wouldn't TGS probably be a better bet for P5 than E3? E3 is a lot more western based, and I always thought the series was pretty niche in the west.

E3 can't come soon enough. I think Sony understands P5 has the potential to be huge and it would serve them well to show something at their E3 Presser.

I'm wondering if they'll even have anything to show though. If we don't get anything on 5/5/15, then I'm starting to doubt that we'll see anything else from Atlus Japan until the bluray on 25/6, which misses E3. They could just run the existing trailer, but an old trailer with nothing new at all isn't really the kind of thing Sony would show on the main stage, and the fact that the English P5 website links it makes me think Atlus USA isn't planning on doing anything with it.

Nachos

Was the same reason why I was so hesitant to get into the Etrian Odyssey series(map making). After fiddling with it in the demo for EO4, I really dug it and it gives a nice sense of progression, seeing you unlock another shortcut that gets you closer to the stairs you start at. Not sure I was a fan of the in-game puzzles thing PQ added, that I guess takes the place of other dungeons in other EO games I guess?

I think PQ would have been stronger if they came up with a reason to have smaller side dungeons on top of the main one to explore. Was curious how a game with just the core dungeons would feel, and it felt kind of bleh. Instead of each dungeon having one theme/puzzle idea the entire thing is built around(and gets more complex the further you go in), you have some puzzle ideas that are introduced and scrapped as you go from floor to floor. It's like they tried hard to make each floor in these dungeons it's own dungeon.
That's the way it's in most Etrian games, though. Before IV, you were stuck in a single, huge dungeon, with the stratums changing every 4–5 floors. Both Untolds rely on that structure, too, even if they've also included a smaller secondary dungeon you revisit throughout the game.

I liked that each floor had its unique gimmick, but I would've preferred it if all of the stratums were connected. In Etrian, there are points later in the game where you can find secret passage ways that link back to previous floors and areas. They're usually optional, but I always liked them because they would often reveal that what was originally a pretty tiny map was actually massive because the majority was locked off.

I have one question though: Does this mean that P4:DAN will be out sooner, like in August?
Does Atlus usually launch more than one retail game per month? Untold 2's got early August set as its tentative date, so I wasn't really sure. I'm sure there's more Etrian converters now, so I'm wondering if Etrian's and Persona's audiences have more overlap now.

So Persona 4 Dancing (english) coming very soon after the japanese release
It probably makes sense from a business standpoint, but I hope they don't try to tone down the name. RIP Ultra Suplex Hold.

DNAbro

Wouldn't TGS probably be a better bet for P5 than E3? E3 is a lot more western based, and I always thought the series was pretty niche in the west.

It should hopefully be out by then.

And as far as how niche Persona is, this is definitely the time for it break out of that niche.

Does Atlus usually launch more than one retail game per month? Untold 2's got early August set as its tentative date, so I wasn't really sure. I'm sure there's more Etrian converters now, so I'm wondering if Etrian's and Persona's audiences have more overlap now.

It probably makes sense from a business standpoint, but I hope they don't try to tone down the name. RIP Ultra Suplex Hold.

The tentative dates often change, but if it was going to be out at around the same time as EO, I'd have expected marketing to have started by now, since U2 has started getting regular English trailers.

And the English site is using Dancing All Night, so I doubt that name's changing.

I expect P5's E3 coverage to be similar to what DAN got last year, running the trailer at their booth and being on the pass card holders. The main focus for Atlus USA will probably be on Etrian and Dancing.

DNAbro

By July?

Any reason in particular that you say this?

isn't TGS in september?

The series has been growing, especially since P4G. I had no idea what a Persona was until P4G. Well with people so excited for P5 and it being on PS3/4 it will probably sell a shitton. It is also probably the highest profile JRPG release in a long time. P5 has the chance to really grow the series and expand it beyond it's niche status.

Shauni

isn't TGS in september?

Nah, it's May 29th to like July 2nd or something like that.

The series has been growing, especially since P4G. I had no idea what a Persona was until P4G. Well with people so excited for P5 and it being on PS3/4 it will probably sell a shitton. It is also probably the highest profile JRPG release in a long time. P5 has the chance to really grow the series and expand it beyond it's niche status.

Ah well, here's to hoping then. I'm definitely enjoying my first exposure to the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom