• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I'm pretty new to the series. Finished P4G recently, and it was pretty fantastic. I'm planning to get P3P whenever it goes on sale again (I may break down before then). Was curious what the general thoughts were of the anime? Worth really watching? I liked the story and characters, but I'm not sure if I really particularly care for something that's just a straight regurgitation of the game's story.

Also, from what I hear the first two Persona games (or three, technically, I guess) are quite a bit different from P3 and P4. Still worth checking out?

I personally really like the anime, yes it's a shortened down version, and yes it does have animation issues. But it covers the story well and it gives Yu a personality that suits.

But avoid the Golden animation at all costs. That is just irredeemable outside of a few scenes.

And yes, P1/2 are different from 3/4 in terms of how they play, but the stories are worth it.

Shauni

Its not much beyond the game itself. It adds a dimension by giving MC a personality fitting of a silent protagonist, but its not anything groundbreaking. Watch if you get in the mood to try it. Hardly essentially material to watch.

Hm, I'll watch a few episodes and see what I think then.

The first two(three) are worth picking up on sale and giving a try. Different, but there's a decent chance you'll be pleasantly surprised (more likely by P2 than P1). Recall, the P2 duology should be played in order.

Alright I'll give them a go at some point then. I mainly want to get to the third so I can go into Q and maybe the Arena games.

Shauni

I personally really like the anime, yes it's a shortened down version, and yes it does have animation issues. But it covers the story well and it gives Yu a personality that suits.

But avoid the Golden animation at all costs. That is just irredeemable outside of a few scenes.

And yes, P1/2 are different from 3/4 in terms of how they play, but the stories are worth it.

Damn, that bad huh?

LX_Theo

Banned
What's wrong with it exactly? Just bad writing in general or something else?

Starts off funny. Starts focusing less on the funny it was riding. Jumps to the Adachi episodes, and then proceed to fall into full on Marie-gasm mode.

Its bad more because the problems of it only got exponentially worse as they went on.

Watch some of the first couple episodes and the Adachi episodes if you're interested. Other than that, people use hyperboles to describe how bad it is, but its not worth your time.

Dantis

I just remembered that episode 2 is actually pretty good.

The opening where it makes fun of taking scooters into the dungeons made me very happy.

PK Gaming

What's wrong with it exactly? Just bad writing in general or something else?

1) The art and animation are appalling. The art and animation in this anime manages to be consistently terrible. Art and animation in anime generally isn't great, but it's usually better than this.

2) To much focus on Marie. Way too much focus on Marie. This one should speak for itself, but just to be sure, the anime suffocates you with Marie. She is shoehorned into just about every Golden events. I'm strictly not averse to the idea of retroactively placing her in someevents, but trying to fit her into every Golden event (in addition to some P4 events) was just a recipe for disaster. (And it was a disaster, go figure)

3) The anime recycles the previous P4 anime's OST and sound effects. This might not be a problem if you haven't watched the previous anime, but it was pretty jarring for me.

4) The writing and characterization for the most part, sucks.

"But Persona 4 Golden's writing sucks"

No it doesn't. You aren't funny.

Sophia

The Golden anime doesn't just fit Marie retroactively into scenes she wasn't in before, but she outright takes over Rise's role of singing. She turns out to be an amazingly competent singer and guitar player suddenly and just takes over Rise's own song entirely. Rise is reduced to backup singing in HER OWN SONG.

That's terrible. More terrible than Lex Luthor stealing 40 cakes, even.

The Golden anime doesn't just fit Marie retroactively into scenes she wasn't in before, but she outright takes over Rise's role of singing. She turns out to be an amazingly competent singer and guitar player suddenly and just takes over Rise's own song entirely. Rise is reduced to backup singing in HER OWN SONG.

That's terrible. More terrible than Lex Luthor stealing 40 cakes, even.

40 Cakes???

Thats as many as four tens!

And that's terrible!

Soulflarz

Banned
2) To much focus on Marie. Way too much focus on Marie. This one should speak for itself, but just to be sure, the anime suffocates with you Marie. She is shoehorned into just about every Golden events. I'm strictly not averse to the idea of retroactively placing her in someevents, but trying to fit her into every Golden event (in addition to some P4 events) was just a recipe for disaster. (And it was a disaster, go figure)

This was my huge issue. I mean, P4G was the only version of P4 I played, so Marie didnt feel like she was everywhere. This probably is a stronger feeling if you went 4->4G

But in the anime? My God. I don't even hate Marie, and she had no right to be in basically every scene. It was pointless.

Nachos

4lSVbKU.jpg
The art isn't that bad. I have no idea what you're talking about.

wmlk

The Adachi episode is a lot worse than people make out, in my opinion.

Everything that was outside of Magatsu Inaba for Adachi was great. I enjoyed Episode 6 and disliked pretty much everything else.

The scene where Adachi throws away all the food that Yu gave him was really important. You couldn't tell how messed up the guy actually was in the story events in the game.

Some of the scenes in that episode have properly justify why Yu would guess that Adachi was the killer because of how petty he was. It painted him in a light where it was OK and made sense to suspect him to be a really bad person, where otherwise in P4 there's this sudden story dump where Adachi does all of these bad things and out of nowhere after you find out he's the killer. The sudden character change that Adachi went through in P4 was its biggest weakness (and Izanami sucks, too).

Everything that was outside of Magatsu Inaba for Adachi was great. I enjoyed Episode 6 and disliked pretty much everything else.

The scene where Adachi throws away all the food that Yu gave him was really important. You couldn't tell how messed up the guy actually was in the story events in the game.

Some of the scenes in that episode have properly justify why Yu would guess that Adachi was the killer because of how petty he was. It painted him in a light where it was OK and made sense to suspect him to be a really bad person, where otherwise in P4 there's this sudden story dump where Adachi does all of these bad things and out of nowhere after you find out he's the killer. The sudden character change that Adachi went through in P4 was its biggest weakness (and Izanami sucks, too).

For some odd reason:

In the games: I was alright with Adachi's change. Ironically, I hated Shuji Itkutsuki's sudden change.

Olengie

I would've liked the Golden Animation more if they didn't place a heavy emphasis on Marie. I could overlook the questionable animation but jamming Marie down my throat just made me lose all interest.

JamboGT

Hey there, thought this may be the best place to ask, recently started Persona Q and really like it except from the whole drawing the map thing. How important is that, how much do I need to bother with it?

Thanks for any help :)

Dantis

Hey there, thought this may be the best place to ask, recently started Persona Q and really like it except from the whole drawing the map thing. How important is that, how much do I need to bother with it?

Thanks for any help :)

Very important, but you can just turn on Automap and it generates it for you.

Andrefpvs

When I started PQ I thought I would hate the map drawing stuff.

Nope. It's amazing. I'm even using it to help me solve some puzzles in the third labyrinth :)

When I started PQ I thought I would hate the map drawing stuff.

Nope. It's amazing. I'm even using it to help me solve some puzzles in the third labyrinth :)

It actually impressed me how complete and fun the drawing was.

I would've liked a function to place little drawings and doodles on the map though. It would make grinding more fun and make solving puzzles easier.

Meia

Was the same reason why I was so hesitant to get into the Etrian Odyssey series(map making). After fiddling with it in the demo for EO4, I really dug it and it gives a nice sense of progression, seeing you unlock another shortcut that gets you closer to the stairs you start at. Not sure I was a fan of the in-game puzzles thing PQ added, that I guess takes the place of other dungeons in other EO games I guess?

I think PQ would have been stronger if they came up with a reason to have smaller side dungeons on top of the main one to explore. Was curious how a game with just the core dungeons would feel, and it felt kind of bleh. Instead of each dungeon having one theme/puzzle idea the entire thing is built around(and gets more complex the further you go in), you have some puzzle ideas that are introduced and scrapped as you go from floor to floor. It's like they tried hard to make each floor in these dungeons it's own dungeon.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Taking the effort to map things properly during my first playthrough has made my second run an absolute doddle, things like
numbering the gates in correct order
in Inaba Pride just help to save a little time.

That said, it has still taken me around 30 hours to get near the endgame..

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Been listening to this a ton after finishing golden, and while I still stand by P3 OST being the best one overall, The Almighty might be my favourite persona song after memories of you.

CorvoSol

1) The art and animation are appalling. The art and animation in this anime manages to be consistently terrible. Art and animation in anime generally isn't great, but it's usually better than this.

2) To much focus on Marie. Way too much focus on Marie. This one should speak for itself, but just to be sure, the anime suffocates you with Marie. She is shoehorned into just about every Golden events. I'm strictly not averse to the idea of retroactively placing her in someevents, but trying to fit her into every Golden event (in addition to some P4 events) was just a recipe for disaster. (And it was a disaster, go figure)

3) The anime recycles the previous P4 anime's OST and sound effects. This might not be a problem if you haven't watched the previous anime, but it was pretty jarring for me.

4) The writing and characterization for the most part, sucks.

I feel PK hasn't stressed how bad the writing in Golden Anime is, so allow me.

There is a scene in the anime where the entire cast sits around, does nothing, and sighs as they wistfully say Marie's name in turn. How about the fact that instead of all your SLinks showing up in the end, JUST MARIE DOES. Oh, or how about instead of personal growth and self-actualization leading to stronger Personae MARIE DOES. Or how about instead of how actually thinking things through leads Yu and Naoto to figuring out who the killer is MARIE JUST KNOWS. MONTHS IN ADVANCE. Or how about how Yu's entire Social Link with
Adachi
is spoiled because Marie is like "LOL I SAID HE BAD." And Yu has to be like "I know you and I interact almost every day, but this girl I'm trying to bang says she looked at you funny so you need to tell me all of your sins in this rainstorm right now, breh."

At least Trinity Soul had dick park.

Nimby

Banned
I'm playing through DDS1 right now. It's tedious, but not unplayable by any means.
Though that audio glitch in cutscenes kind of ruins a few scenes.

I'm probably stretching the term 'unplayable' a bit, but I like to experience games the way they were meant to be played. Audio syncing issues REALLY bug me lol

On the subject of the Golden Animation: Hey we got bunny Kanji.

PK Gaming

I feel PK hasn't stressed how bad the writing in Golden Anime is, so allow me.

There is a scene in the anime where the entire cast sits around, does nothing, and sighs as they wistfully say Marie's name in turn. How about the fact that instead of all your SLinks showing up in the end, JUST MARIE DOES. Oh, or how about instead of personal growth and self-actualization leading to stronger Personae MARIE DOES. Or how about instead of how actually thinking things through leads Yu and Naoto to figuring out who the killer is MARIE JUST KNOWS. MONTHS IN ADVANCE. Or how about how Yu's entire Social Link with
Adachi
is spoiled because Marie is like "LOL I SAID HE BAD." And Yu has to be like "I know you and I interact almost every day, but this girl I'm trying to bang says she looked at you funny so you need to tell me all of your sins in this rainstorm right now, breh."

At least Trinity Soul had dick park.

Shout outs to Yu awakening to Izanagi-no-Okami because of Marie.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I like being angry about stuff, so the P4G anime should be something I check out.

As Marie is apparently all over it, is there much fuck-awful poetry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom