• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
PQ
I'm not sure if anyone got this, but for the marriage scene did anyone get the Velvet Room inhabitants? I watched someone get Margaret, and thought it a bit odd that Marge kind of just vanishes afterwards? Also somewhat amusing to hear Fuuka say that MC and Margaret cannot fight the boss without extra help.

Did Marge not have the compendium with her? Maybe that's the reason?

FluxWaveZ

ibrOcwUDGwF2ov.gif

Made another one of these dumb things.

Hey, new OT.

One thing I really enjoyed about the Persona 5 mention at the presser was how enthusiastically the crowd responded to it. Pretty nice to hear.

D-Man

Oh man, OT7 already? I wonder if this will be the OT that will finally get legitimate info on Persona 5. Here's hoping!

Hikami

Wasn't really surprised that we hardly saw anything on Persona 5 at PSX, still doesn't make me any less excited for it though.
I wish I could make time for Persona Q but finals.. :<
Yep.. I played it for a day or two after I got it on release day but haven't been able to play it since then..
Just gotta get through finals this week then I can Persona all I want.

Did Marge not have the compendium with her? Maybe that's the reason?

I think she did since she makes a remark about smacking P3MC with the compendium for carrying her. My guess is that the dialogue is reused, which may have been a bit of an oversight since with the characters in the team it would make sense that they couldn't take on the boss alone, but not with Margaret. Still a good scene though, plus I was reminded that Margaret would occasionally make lame puns/jokes.

FireSol

Its PQ hard or just me THAT bad. Because my ass was kisked hard in normal difficulty at 2nd floor of the first dungeon

atlusprime

Atlus PR
Holy shit you guys. At a PSX event and someone introduced me to a big Persona fan. Talked to her for like 10 minutes before she had to leave, COMPLETELY IGNORANT TO THE FACT IT WAS LAURA BAILEY.

Awaiting punishment.

Sophia

Its PQ hard or just me THAT bad. Because my ass was kisked hard in normal difficulty at 2nd floor of the first dungeon

This game isn't like the mainline Persona games where your skills rule over everything. The standard attack *IS* useful. Likewise, you don't design your party around your protagonist like you do in Persona 3 or Persona 4.

How are you approaching enemies? Who are you using in your party? What's your formation? Are you keeping your equipment relatively up to date? Making use of Navigator skills? You'll eventually unlock sub-personas on the second floor, so that'll help a lot too.

Holy shit you guys. At a PSX event and someone introduced me to a big Persona fan. Talked to her for like 10 minutes before she had to leave, COMPLETELY IGNORANT TO THE FACT IT WAS LAURA BAILEY.

Awaiting punishment.

atlusprime just shot himself in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about voice acting culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is with regular fans where you can become successful by being ignorant! If you fail to recognize someone who is a famous voice actor, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is that voice actors, after hearing about this, are not going to want to work with Atlus for any system, nor will they purchase any of Atlus's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but atlusprime has alienated an entire market with this move.

atlusprime, publicly apologize and listen to True Story in english or you can kiss your business goodbye.

FireSol

This game isn't like the mainline Persona games where your skills rule over everything. The standard attack *IS* useful. Likewise, you don't design your party around your protagonist like you do in Persona 3 or Persona 4.

How are you approaching enemies? Who are you using in your party? What's your formation? Are you keeping your equipment relatively up to date? Making use of Navigator skills? You'll eventually unlock sub-personas on the second floor, so that'll help a lot too.

Mine approach is something like that:
- first time i saw enemy I try to spot his weakness
- then I try to deal with enemy front line by using weaknesses i discover
- atm my formation looks like that. front line: Yu, Chie, Kanji, Back line: Yukiko and Zen/Rei
- weapons it's up to date, armor near that state
- sub-personas is a great mechanics, need fuse more to find the right combination

Sophia

Mine approach is something like that:
- first time i saw enemy I try to spot his weakness
- then I try to deal with enemy front line by using weaknesses i discover
- atm my formation looks like that. front line: Yu, Chie, Kanji, Back line: Yukiko and Zen/Rei
- weapons it's up to date, armor near that state
- sub-personas is a great mechanics, need fuse more to find the right combination

Your formation is okay, but it's kinda front loaded. Two Electricity users, and early on you've got some redundancy in the physical department as I'm sure your sub-persons aren't covering all your weaknesses just yet. Zen and Rei are fantastic, but you also likely have no instant kills at your disposal, so that can make dealing with pesky enemies (especially in the back row!) a bit of an issue. Naoto is godlike, and tied with Aigis for the game's best party member. Don't be afraid to use her and have her take out enemies that are troubling you in a fight.

Biggest thing to remember, however, is that this is not like Persona 3 and Persona 4. You often do not even need to go for the weaknesses. The boost effect is nice (free healing!), but is in no way mandatory, and you can't easily supress turns like you can in the One More! system. Sometimes, using the more powerful skill is a better choice. Physical skills and status effects are very effective here, and you can score critical hits with the former. Especially if you're using members with high luck. Curse and Poison specifically are very strong early on. I don't remember if Zen starts with his physical skill that curses, but try to use it if he has it. Nothing is more awesome than watching your enemies take half the damage they dish out back at you. :p

I remember early on I was trying to fuse my Sub-Personas like I did in P3 and P4. Trying to cover specific niches in order to account for weaknesses, like a persona with all four elements, a support Persona, a healing Persona, etc.... It wasn't very effective. When I realized this, and instead started building Personas to supplement the party members and their existing skills with less regard to weaknesses, things went a LOT smoother.

Setsu00

PQ
I'm not sure if anyone got this, but for the marriage scene did anyone get the Velvet Room inhabitants? I watched someone get Margaret, and thought it a bit odd that Marge kind of just vanishes afterwards? Also somewhat amusing to hear Fuuka say that MC and Margaret cannot fight the boss without extra help.

I got Theo. It was ... weird, to say the least.

FireSol

Your formation is okay, but it's kinda front loaded. Two Electricity users, and early on you've got some redundancy in the physical department as I'm sure your sub-persons aren't covering all your weaknesses just yet. Zen and Rei are fantastic, but you also likely have no instant kills at your disposal, so that can make dealing with pesky enemies (especially in the back row!) a bit of an issue. Naoto is godlike, and tied with Aigis for the game's best party member. Don't be afraid to use her and have her take out enemies that are troubling you in a fight.

Biggest thing to remember, however, is that this is not like Persona 3 and Persona 4. You often do not even need to go for the weaknesses. The boost effect is nice (free healing!), but is in no way mandatory, and you can't easily supress turns like you can in the One More! system. Sometimes, using the more powerful skill is a better choice. Physical skills and status effects are very effective here, and you can score critical hits with the former. Especially if you're using members with high luck. Curse and Poison specifically are very strong early on. I don't remember if Zen starts with his physical skill that curses, but try to use it if he has it. Nothing is more awesome than watching your enemies take half the damage they dish out back at you. :p

I remember early on I was trying to fuse my Sub-Personas like I did in P3 and P4. Trying to cover specific niches in order to account for weaknesses, like a persona with all four elements, a support Persona, a healing Persona, etc.... It wasn't very effective. When I realized this, and instead started building Personas to supplement the party members and their existing skills with less regard to weaknesses, things went a LOT smoother.

Thanks!! But I have a question its ok to put Naoto in to the front line or it's better to swotch Kanju with Yosuke, I have garu on 1 of the sub-personas, but i think on the main one this will be more usefull

Sophia

Thanks!! But I have a question its ok to put Naoto in to the front line or it's better to swotch Kanju with Yosuke, I have garu on 1 of the sub-personas, but i think on the main one this will be more usefull

Doesn't matter for Naoto. Her standard attack is ranged. You can put her anywhere you want. Back row has reduced damage tho.

My first post btw hi everyone , diary reader since OTP 4.

Welcome! If you've been browsing since the 4th thread, you're probably well aware of the insanity here
I'm saying you're insane already
which means I don't have to warn you of it.

Makio

Yeah ..... totally insane

About the Atlus "new P5 teaser" today well....
aa0.png

And AtlusPrime WTF how did you consider yourself a Persona Fan and don't hear one of the unique voices in the fucking game ... i mean shame on you Senpai.

Rise best girl BTW

atlusprime

Atlus PR

atlusprime just shot himself in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about voice acting culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is with regular fans where you can become successful by being ignorant! If you fail to recognize someone who is a famous voice actor, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is that voice actors, after hearing about this, are not going to want to work with Atlus for any system, nor will they purchase any of Atlus's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but atlusprime has alienated an entire market with this move.

atlusprime, publicly apologize and listen to True Story in english or you can kiss your business goodbye.

I did. things were explained. it's cool.

Omikaru

Well, Persona was at least mentioned at an English language PlayStation conference, so that's a start!

It's only a matter of time before everyone has a favourite waifu.

Perfect.

Great title btw.

Looks like our next stop on the Persona 5 train is Feb.

I'm still going to be very cautious about my expectations for that day. I mean this is a live musical, so I'm expecting, like many of you have said, a song or two from the game and that's that.

That, or like I said, a stealth announcement at the end of the show saying that the game is available for sale throwing the crowd into a frenzy. Eh.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Biggest thing to remember, however, is that this is not like Persona 3 and Persona 4. You often do not even need to go for the weaknesses. The boost effect is nice (free healing!), but is in no way mandatory, and you can't easily supress turns like you can in the One More! system.

Eh... I wouldn't say that you don't need to go for weaknesses. You really need boost mode for all out attacks and getting persona cards for fusing/sacrificing.

Meia

Boosts help mostly in dungeon crawling to me. I never run out of resources since I'm always using boosted physical attacks/magic attacks. I hated that character element spells get upgraded automatically until I realized I could just have the lesser ability on a sub persona. I'm not against using an Agi on turn one on Yukiko to then use a free cast Agilao on turn two and save the 20 SP. :p

Party is Yu/Chie/Kanji Yukiko/Yukari, so I just heal ALL the things. Gave Yukiko the Recarm skill card early, just got a sub persona on Yukari that got Recarm and inherited Me Patra, so pretty solid atm.

Physical is just so damn broken in the game though. That you can dish out elemental damage with physical attacks is all the more silly. I love that I can have Yu be the EO4 Lands by having a persona with an elemental link + link boost. Bonus points for me giving him the skill that lets him follow up attacks too. :D

I was expecting PQ to be fun to both play and experience, but it's rare to see a mashup like that that makes both parts better for it. Always kind of felt that hitting an elemental weakness in EO didn't do enough.

You know, even though it was a letdown, I'm grateful that Adam Boyes didn't take the time to make a 'best girl' comment at the keynote, nor did anyone in the audience. Good show.

I like to imagine that Sony exec conferences ultimately end up as a massive argument over who is the best Persona girl, with financial decisions tied to whomever wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom