• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LX_Theo

Banned
Holy shit you guys. At a PSX event and someone introduced me to a big Persona fan. Talked to her for like 10 minutes before she had to leave, COMPLETELY IGNORANT TO THE FACT IT WAS LAURA BAILEY.

Awaiting punishment.

What? But.... How? Wouldn't you... Know?

Ugh... head hurts now.

Gazoinks

So is there any chance 5 will be rated T like the Arena games, or is it impossible due to the Persona designs?

I think most SMT games are rated M for Mara.

I'd want P5 to be rated M anyway, though. They're not graphic, but the Persona games tend to touch on mature enough subjects (and language) that it feels deserved enough anyway.

I posted.

Now the thread is officially saved.

tumblr_lyp93exwKj1r34se2.png

Holy shit you guys. At a PSX event and someone introduced me to a big Persona fan. Talked to her for like 10 minutes before she had to leave, COMPLETELY IGNORANT TO THE FACT IT WAS LAURA BAILEY.
I can't be any more disappointed than the moment I read the last two words of this paragraph. You gotta do something to make up for it, man.

PK Gaming

Boosts help mostly in dungeon crawling to me. I never run out of resources since I'm always using boosted physical attacks/magic attacks. I hated that character element spells get upgraded automatically until I realized I could just have the lesser ability on a sub persona. I'm not against using an Agi on turn one on Yukiko to then use a free cast Agilao on turn two and save the 20 SP. :p

Party is Yu/Chie/Kanji Yukiko/Yukari, so I just heal ALL the things. Gave Yukiko the Recarm skill card early, just got a sub persona on Yukari that got Recarm and inherited Me Patra, so pretty solid atm.

Physical is just so damn broken in the game though. That you can dish out elemental damage with physical attacks is all the more silly. I love that I can have Yu be the EO4 Lands by having a persona with an elemental link + link boost. Bonus points for me giving him the skill that lets him follow up attacks too. :D

I was expecting PQ to be fun to both play and experience, but it's rare to see a mashup like that that makes both parts better for it. Always kind of felt that hitting an elemental weakness in EO didn't do enough.

Yeah, physical attackers are crazy good in this game. In addition to doing good damage, they can crit (which leads to boost), and have solid coverage. Health is infinitely easier to restore than SP, and their ease of entering boosts lets them rely on expensive skills such as Power Charge or Dragon Roar.

In order of effective, i'd probably rate the characters like this:

Naoto >>> Hybrids > Physical Attackers > Magic Attackers

Meia

It is kind of crazy that Chie gets Power Boost and can't even USE it because it costs so much SP. I got a fusion accident and got a persona I wasn't planning on(Nue) that had Tempest Slash, so chances are at least one of those three hits it does is critting. Her and Kanji seem to crit all the time. Seems kind of silly to me that attacks that can hit multiple times apparently roll on miss/hit/crit each of those times: It makes an OP situation even more OP. Still funny hearing Chie trying to say two lines at the same time with the attack(kills the enemy on hit one or two, hit three misses and she gets depressed).

PK Gaming

It is kind of crazy that Chie gets Power Boost and can't even USE it because it costs so much SP. I got a fusion accident and got a persona I wasn't planning on(Nue) that had Tempest Slash, so chances are at least one of those three hits it does is critting. Her and Kanji seem to crit all the time. Seems kind of silly to me that attacks that can hit multiple times apparently roll on miss/hit/crit each of those times: It makes an OP situation even more OP.

I like how Power Charge is designed around being used after boosts . Have you been abusing Critical Eye? It almost always guarantees crits after use; I was able to rely on Turdak's almighty physical skill to nearly guarantee boosts in most fights. It's a good thing physical attackers have low SP and are slow, otherwise they'd be running wild.

Hybrids are even scarier, if you can believe it. They do less damage, but they're faster AND have way more SP. Super strong, haha.

Still funny hearing Chie trying to say two lines at the same time with the attack(kills the enemy on hit one or two, hit three misses and she gets depressed).

Yosuke (in a whiny voice): SERIOUSLY?

Meia

I like how Power Charge is designed around being used after boosts . Have you been abusing Critical Eye? It almost always guarantees crits after use; I was able to rely on Turdak's almighty physical skill to nearly guarantee boosts in most fights. It's a good thing physical attackers have low SP and are slow, otherwise they'd be running wild.

I literally just got Critical Eye, so haven't even gotten into a fight with it(leveled up to get it on the
Elizabeth
fight I did the second I hit the fourth floor of the second dungeon. Chie pretty much solo'd that fight.

Have to figure out a way to counter binds, and have no one that does status ailments, which is probably going to bite me later(Kanji has physical attacks that magic bind/tarunda, Yu has a poison slash, but that's it).

It's funny seeing how much influence EO4 has on this. You have Link Lands character skills, circle arcanist skills, etc. Somewhat tempted to turn either Yukiko or Yukari into the classic circle arcanist to cover the lack of status ailments. Yukiko has panic circle, but doesn't hit too much because she has no way to boost it's accuracy.

PK Gaming

I literally just got Critical Eye, so haven't even gotten into a fight with it(leveled up to get it on the
Elizabeth
fight I did the second I hit the fourth floor of the second dungeon. Chie pretty much solo'd that fight.

Have to figure out a way to counter binds, and have no one that does status ailments, which is probably going to bite me later(Kanji has physical attacks that magic bind/tarunda, Yu has a poison slash, but that's it).

It's funny seeing how much influence EO4 has on this. You have Link Lands character skills, circle arcanist skills, etc. Somewhat tempted to turn either Yukiko or Yukari into the classic circle arcanist to cover the lack of status ailments. Yukiko has panic circle, but doesn't hit too much because she has no way to boost it's accuracy.

Mhm.

I seriously missed the class/sub class system, but this is a good alternative. I love, love, love links.

(I just got Tam Lin who has triple link, so i'm going to turn Yu into a Landshark.)

Dantis

Yeah, physical attackers are crazy good in this game. In addition to doing good damage, they can crit (which leads to boost), and have solid coverage. Health is infinitely easier to restore than SP, and their ease of entering boosts lets them rely on expensive skills such as Power Charge or Dragon Roar.

In order of effective, i'd probably rate the characters this:

Naoto is an absolute machine.

Hopefully I can contribute to discussion a little more this time around. I blame school projects :/

Just got to the second labyrinth last night in PQ, really digging this game so far. I haven't changed my team up just yet since last time, but I am considering some tweaks, like Ken to either Aigis or Naoto.

FluxWaveZ

Just made it to the third dungeon and the very first random encounter I met almost wiped my team out (on Hard). Pretty surprising seeing how things have been rather easy so far.

Sophia

Just made it to the third dungeon and the very first random encounter I met almost wiped my team out (on Hard). Pretty surprising seeing how things have been rather easy so far.

In retrospect, I seem lucky to have survived my initial encounter in the third dungeon when everyone had no sub-Personas swapped on them (because I switched the entire party....)

Eh... I wouldn't say that you don't need to go for weaknesses. You really need boost mode for all out attacks and getting persona cards for fusing/sacrificing.

All-Out-Attacks are nice, as are Follow Up attacks, but if you can finish the fight without boosting it's not a big deal. The real benefit to boosting is that the party member who is boosted can act first before the enemy anyhow. That's extremely valuable both in planning a strategy as well as staying boosted.

In order of effective, i'd probably rate the characters this:

Agreed with this ranking, pretty much. The hybrids in this game rule.

84X

Banned
Late but...

Awaiting punishment.

aVQksbQ.png

What.

Omikaru

Naoto is an absolute machine.

Yup. She's pretty much a staple in my back row. I switch out Yukari, Yukiko and Zen/Rei every now and then, but Naoto always has a place in the back, which sucks a bit for the other characters who work best in the back like Aigis and Ken, as I usually do 3 front and 2 at back, and they never get a chance to really shine unless I'm doing a spot of grinding to keep them at a similar level with the rest of the team, just in case I need them.

Speaking of grinding (minor 2nd labyrinth spoilers),
when you get the optional second boss (the giant gold bug) in the first labyrinth, he's really easy to beat (just buff up your defenses, poison, and spam with electric attacks and he goes down pretty quickly), gives 18k EXP (which is amazing for the ~lv17-23 that you'll be facing him at), has a guaranteed drop that ensures you can afford to heal up with Elizabeth (it sells for 3400 Yen), and he respawns when you leave the labyrinth and return to it. It's so easy to cheese everyone up to lv20 with that guy; it has literally saved me hours.

I'm playing on Normal, by the way.

It is kind of crazy that Chie gets Power Boost and can't even USE it because it costs so much SP. I got a fusion accident and got a persona I wasn't planning on(Nue) that had Tempest Slash, so chances are at least one of those three hits it does is critting. Her and Kanji seem to crit all the time. Seems kind of silly to me that attacks that can hit multiple times apparently roll on miss/hit/crit each of those times: It makes an OP situation even more OP. Still funny hearing Chie trying to say two lines at the same time with the attack(kills the enemy on hit one or two, hit three misses and she gets depressed).

Imagine what happens when you're running around with moves like Hassou Tobi that can hit up to 8 times. :p Plus I think there are moves that grant you a small chance of acting again, so you can potentially activate Hassou Tobi twice in one turn.

From what I've seen since I don't have the game, physical attackers can last a lot longer in fights since it's easier to heal and you ca get boosted against those without weaknesses, and you generally have higher damage with multi-hit attacks. I can imagine near the end of the game where bosses don't really have weaknesses and offensive SP skills cost like 48SP that the lead gets even wider (plus that's probably when you get access to the Hassou Tobi-like skills).

Also, I think that rolling RNG on each hit would be fine only if they made it so all that happened when you crit is that you deal extra damage. But they didn't. So yeah :p

PK Gaming

Yup. She's pretty much a staple in my back row. I switch out Yukari, Yukiko and Zen/Rei every now and then, but Naoto always has a place in the back, which sucks a bit for the other characters who work best in the back like Aigis and Ken, as I usually do 3 front and 2 at back, and they never get a chance to really shine unless I'm doing a spot of grinding to keep them at a similar level with the rest of the team, just in case I need them.

Speaking of grinding (minor 2nd labyrinth spoilers),
when you get the optional second boss (the giant gold bug) in the first labyrinth, he's really easy to beat (just buff up your defenses, poison, and spam with electric attacks and he goes down pretty quickly), gives 18k EXP (which is amazing for the ~lv17-23 that you'll be facing him at), has a guaranteed drop that ensures you can afford to heal up with Elizabeth (it sells for 3400 Yen), and he respawns when you leave the labyrinth and return to it. It's so easy to cheese everyone up to lv20 with that guy; it has literally saved me hours.

I'm playing on Normal, by the way.

I'd just like to correct you on one thing; Aigis is a front-row fighter. Ignore what the ingame description says about her, her skillset is tailored towards tanking hits and lowering the damage for the front row. She's like the Palladin/Fortress class from Etrian Odyssey.

That EXP grinding trick is cool. I wonder if the other
optional bosses
will yield a ton of experience.

Sophia

I didn't even realize the
golden beetle respawns.
Thanks for that info. I know what I'll be doing later. >_>

Just got to the Hot Spring scene in Persona 3, I've heard on twitter if you screw up the stealth segment it's game over. Anyone have a clip of this?

Lol uh he was screwing with you, you just get "finished" by Mitsuru as "punishment" for your actions.

here you go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zR6Tyn9NvA

Kind of disappointed the LPer didn't talk to everyone in the lounge afterwards as I imagine the dialogue there changes to reflect getting caught.

Edit: Also Mitsuru's first social link level is... weird. That wasn't at all what I was expecting based upon the other female social links

Kind of disappointed the LPer didn't talk to everyone in the lounge afterwards as I imagine the dialogue there changes to reflect getting caught.

Edit: Also Mitsuru's first social link level is... weird. That wasn't at all what I was expecting based upon the other female social links

Nothing special. Shellshock from the guys, silent treatment from the girls.

FluxWaveZ

Nothing special. Shellshock from the guys, silent treatment from the girls.

Every unique, contextual line of dialogue to me is special in this series. It's why I would wander from store to store in Persona 2 just to talk to the teammates and hear every bit of unique thing they had to say.

Sophia

Every unique, contextual line of dialogue to me is special in this series. It's why I would wander from store to store in Persona 2 just to talk to the teammates and hear every bit of unique thing they had to say.

One of the best things about Persona 2 and Persona 3 is the sheer amount of hidden dialogue in the games. It's not minor dialogue either; they often foreshadow character development coming up.

I understand that line of thinking. I should have said "nothing says anything new". Is that better?

Nimby

Banned
Weird opinion: I really love Tartarus in P3. While dungeon variety improved in P4, I think they screwed up everywhere else. I loved splitting my party up on a floor, and I really liked Fuuka as a navigator. Am I screwed up in the head or something?

So is the only way to make these later boss fights go by quicker is to grind my characters and fuse better persona because all of the block 5 bosses took like 10-15 minutes at least.

FluxWaveZ

One of the best things about Persona 2 and Persona 3 is the sheer amount of hidden dialogue in the games. It's not minor dialogue either; they often foreshadow character development coming up.

Actually, now that you mention it like that, it's something that I feel might have been missing a bit in Persona 4. Persona 2 had a plethora of it in nearly any non-dungeon place you went to based on the events that were happening in the story or the location, Persona 3's were often centered around Iwatodai Dorm and everyone hanging out there, but did Persona 4 have much optional/contextual dialogue like that? Sometimes, you'd see teammates hanging around at school who weren't available for S. Linking saying unique stuff (like sometimes Chie and Yukiko would be talking to each other in 2-2), but I don't think there were as many circumstances as past games.

Persona 4 Golden, though, added a whole lot of that with being able to go out to town at night or hanging out with someone else out of town with the addition of scooters and the new area. So, in the end, I guess it did have a bunch of that, though perhaps not in the original game.

They do. I just didn't think it was that noteworthy.
Or maybe I just dislike it for all the guys getting blamed for an honest mistake?

Oh... well that's kinda different than "nothing says anything new."

Weird opinion: I really love Tartarus in P3. While dungeon variety improved in P4, I think they screwed up everywhere else. I loved splitting my party up on a floor, and I really liked Fuuka as a navigator. Am I screwed up in the head or something?

I hope you're not screwed up in the head, because I feel the same way. For the same reasons too. Splitting the team up was a cool option, and I liked the occasional special floor that had no enemies but a ton of treasure that you had to collect before the Reaper arrived. Each floor looked the same, but I felt like Tartarus gave you more situations you could approach in more ways.

Acid08

Banned

Tbh the only reason I think dungeon crawling is better in P4 is the variety in the look/music of the dungeons. The layouts are still boring as hell.

I did like the look of the Harabah block at least:

62-Persona3-37-150.jpg

FluxWaveZ

In Persona 3, being able to split the team up in a dungeon and also being forced to only direct teammates in battle via indirect orders were parts I didn't think were necessarily bad and lent themselves to that game's identity. Everyone was more independent in that game (also extending itself to not everyone always being available every night for a Tartarus excursion) and the P3MC had a different leader dynamic to the P4MC, and the mechanics kind of reflected that.

In Persona 3, being able to split the team up in a dungeon and also being forced to only direct teammates in battle via indirect orders were parts I didn't think were necessarily bad and lent themselves to that game's identity. Everyone was more independent in that game (also extending itself to not everyone always being available every night for a Tartarus excursion) and the P3MC had a different leader dynamic to the P4MC, and the mechanics kind of reflected that.

Still, I wouldn't mind it if P4 gave you the option to have your teammates scout out the dungeon for you. Especially dungeons you'd already visited.

Tbh the only reason I think dungeon crawling is better in P4 is the variety in the look/music of the dungeons. The layouts are still boring as hell.

I did like the look of the Harabah block at least:

http://lparchive.org/Persona-3/Update%2042/62-Persona3-37-150.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/ytq0dLV.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom