• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
B5qYQ7xIIAE9qKp.png:large

Xenoflare

I'll join the blessing bandwagon :p

Merry Christmas guys, it's nice to be in a community thread for something that I love.

And an early happy new year too. 2015 is another exciting year for all of us.

Marche90

Merry christmas!

I know I said this before on twitter, but quite a bit of you guys aren't there.

Oh, and very cool figure, reanimatoin... Although I question the demon of choice there due to the date xD

Weiss

Banned
I straight up cheated in P2 and EP for cards. Because for a first run through the game hell to the fuck no am I gonna grind for cards. I'll do it the next time through, but I honestly do recommend cheating a bit to get through the games the first time around. Not having to worry about cards means you can just build the good personae whenever the walkthrough says to, which frees up brain space to worry about learning the ins and outs of the battle system enough to make it work.

To be entirely honest I actually much prefer EP's battle system to IS'. IS has a couple of improvements over EP, like the ability to see turn orders and the emotion chart and a minimap, but EP's battle system runs sort of like FFXII's gambits. It's got too many options at first, but once you realize that it boils down to setting the best options for guiding your party through battles it becomes a much easier, albeit somewhat uninvolved process. It's not as bad as IS' fetishization of menus where every single thing requires you navigate the most user unfriendly menus possible to get anything done.

EP is the first and only time I ever found Demon negotiation even remotely acceptable as well, so there's that.

The biggest problem for me is that nothing is ever quick in this game. I constantly have to adjust my team and Personae to make sure I'm using fusion spells to rank them up and get mutations, but I also have to worry about demon conversations to get new cards for new Personae, and outside of that I need to manipulate the rumours for new stuff or take little sidequests to get spell cards, and all of this is so much unintuitive busywork where I'm jumping from guide to guide trying to make sense of it that it kills any of the enjoyment I had.

I really want Fusion Spells to come back, though, and as unlikely as it is I really hope the entire team gets access to the Wild Card in Persona 5, because one of the coolest aspects of the battle system was being able to modify your entire team on the fly even during battle.

FluxWaveZ

Random: New Atlus trademark I found:
Application number: 2014-97022
Filing date: November 17, 2014
Pertains to Class 9 (video game software), Class 16 (manuals relating to software) and Class 35 (dissemination of information related to e-commerce [e.g. online advertising])
Recent Atlus related trademarks:

Deviliser (Filed: October 3, 2013)
Persona Stalker Club (Filed: February 20, 2014)
Asraga Adventure Chronicle (Filed: May 16, 2014)
Mystery Dungeon (Filed: September 12, 2014; likely for Etrian Mystery Dungeon)

CorvoSol

The biggest problem for me is that nothing is ever quick in this game. I constantly have to adjust my team and Personae to make sure I'm using fusion spells to rank them up and get mutations, but I also have to worry about demon conversations to get new cards for new Personae, and outside of that I need to manipulate the rumours for new stuff or take little sidequests to get spell cards, and all of this is so much unintuitive busywork where I'm jumping from guide to guide trying to make sense of it that it kills any of the enjoyment I had.

I really want Fusion Spells to come back, though, and as unlikely as it is I really hope the entire team gets access to the Wild Card in Persona 5, because one of the coolest aspects of the battle system was being able to modify your entire team on the fly even during battle.

Yeah this is gonna sound crass, but cheating simplified all of that. By giving myself all cards I no longer had to bend over to get any cards, and could therefore make whatever personae I wanted when I wanted. Really helped speed things along in the game. At the very least I promise you that the game's plot goes to some fun and wacky places, and that the ending is probably one of my favorites in the series. Eternal Punishment's story is also really really good.

Persona Q: Group Date Cafe

Finished Group Date Cafe. Loved the final floor. I got Mitsuru, probably because I more or less intentionally chose her by saying "C'est Magnifique!" at one point. Of course I could have been a total gentleman and swept the virtual girl off of her virtual feet, but because this is Persona I chose to pick the options I felt would yield the funniest results instead. So I opted to literally sweep Mitsuru off her feet and flirt with her as shamelessly as possible before reaching the boss. I was not disappointed.

Archie Nukami has such unnecessary charm, though, that despite his best efforts to deliberately tank his relationship with Mitsuru, she found herself more and more attracted to him. You know you got moves when you can woo Jesus' girlfriends out from under him.

Loved the final boss. Merciful Clergyman's Southern Preacher accent was a gas, and the entire Vow concept was so off-kilter I found myself laughing the entire boss fight. Having disposed of him fairly quickly: I'm leveling up all my parties evenly so Archie himself is rockin' level 32 already.

Something that kinda threw me off, though, is that Rei flipped out on Zen at the end of the dungeon, but that in other ways this little explosion of hers is sort of glossed over. Like strolls and such. Maybe nobody in the cast took it as seriously as I thought it was meant to be taken.

On this same note, I'm glad the next dungeon is a scary dungeon because it gives Chie a chance to be something more than just meat meat meat. Like, I dunno how to put this other than that I think Arena Chie is a better portrayal than Q Chie because Arena Chie at least gets to point out that she's not some all-devouring monster. I understand that in spin-off games every character is going to be an exaggeration of their original traits, and that a cast as big as PQ's isn't going to be able to shine the spotlight on anyone nearly as well as the original game's, but there's more to Chie than an unending lust for red meat. She's the only one I feel is really too off at the moment, or whose offness is worthy of complaint.

Made damn sure to throw Kanji under the Naoto bus in the 3rd dungeon opening, too. Get out there and make me proud, big guy.

Got P4AU today for Christmas, so I'm looking forward to finally being caught up with PGAF. Best news is that I also got the Blow Up Teddie and Tarot. So now I own a deck of Tarot cards, hahaha.

FluxWaveZ

Hmm, good catch. It'll be interesting to see if anything comes of this.

Atlus has made use of pretty much all of their edition class 9 trademarks over the years. Examples: The Atlus Vegas trademark for virtual goods in Second Life (reg. #: 5185081); the Strange Journey trademark (reg. #: 5281475); the Radiant Historia trademark (reg. #: 5350039); the Devil Hunter trademark (reg. #: 5374520) and, the most explicit recent example, the Catherine trademark (reg. #: 5393775).

The "Storie" trademark has three classes, so the minimum cost to file a trademark for it would be 160,400 JPY minimum. It's not insignificant, so I imagine the cost of these things makes it so that when a smaller company files a trademark, it's typically not a disparaged thing.

At least this tells us that the three outstanding Atlus trademarks are video game related, and are all likely actual video games.

Edit: What seems to be the official logo for Persona Super Live 2015 was just shown on Persona Stalker Club. Looks like a dagger stuck into the ground, with a shadow projecting from its front.

Edit 2:

FluxWaveZ

The new Persora: The Golden Best CD releasing on February 18, 2015 will include a Persona 4: Dancing All Night remix of Pursuing My True Self.

Interesting. How long does it usually take Atlus to make anything with their trademarks?

It seems to vary by a bit. Here's a short table for reference:

HVclqpc.png

That Tokyo Mono Hara Shi one kinda seems wrong, but I'm pretty sure both dates are correct, so I guess it might just be weird trademarking business.

Dantis

Not sure what I think of Kozuka remixing for P4D. I was worried when his name was on the credits, and this shows that he's contributing to the soundtrack.

I'll wait until I hear it though. Maybe it'll be fine.

FluxWaveZ

I'm slow to this, but I just now realized how 2014 was practically to Etrian Odyssey as 2013 was to Persona.

- The sequel to a spin-off of the series was announced.
- A live stream dedicated to the series took place on November 24th.
- A new spin-off of the series was announced, as a collaboration project between two developers.
- The fifth mainline entry in the series was announced via a short teaser trailer at the very end of the live stream.

That's pretty good.

Tamanon

Banned
Weird thing about the dagger "shadow" is that it's facing the wrong way for an actual shadow, more like it's going through a prism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom