• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's like when it came to PQ, they totally forgot the mini-story of Akihiko getting knocked out of commission for a month or so from the first big shadow so he stopped being as reckless or something. Just him wanting to run facefirst into every FOE you see for the first time is flat out moronic. Teddie is annoying and doesn't have much going to the character in it, but at least that can be somewhat understood considering the timing of PQ. Aki's characterization has little excuse.

Funnily enough, it's probably my only real problem with the game. I kind of cringe anytime Teddie opens his mouth doing the P4 side, and I almost dread doing the P3 side for the same reason with Akihiko...

Teddie's silliness was MUCH rarer and MUCH funnier when it happened in 4. There's the problem.

Soulflarz

Banned
I can talk and have talked for ten full minutes about why you're wrong. Junpei's probably P3's most three-dimensional, realized character and he's the greatest in the series.

As much as I dislike him at times, I wouldnt have him any other way. His emotions really do show through by the end of persona 3.

Vylash

I can talk and have talked for ten full minutes about why you're wrong. Junpei's probably P3's most three-dimensional, realized character and he's the greatest in the series.

i get that he's supposed to be a regular high school student but i really hate male characters who constantly obsess over girls, really annoys me, i stopped trying to like him after the hot spring event, really glad they toned that stuff down with Yosuke

i get that he's supposed to be a regular high school student but i really hate male characters who constantly obsess over girls, really annoys me, i stopped trying to like him after the hot spring event, really glad they toned that stuff down with Yosuke

I wouldn't say he constantly obsesses over girls. If you do his S. Link in P3P then he treats the female protagonist with a great amount of respect and maturity, never once hitting on her and actually getting mad at you if you suggest that he is. His early-game persona is something he created to mask his insecurities, and that behaviour pretty much stops entirely once he meets Chidori (whose actions show that she was just as in love with him as he was with her, meaning their relationship was far from a one-sided obsession). I'd highly recommend you watch his scenes in P3P and The Answer before passing judgement on his character, as it really grinds my gears when people miss out on the hidden brilliance of his character cuz they're too busy focusing on the early-game behaviour that was intentionally flawed to provide the groundwork for his character development.

Caladrius

Teddie's silliness was MUCH rarer and MUCH funnier when it happened in 4. There's the problem.

Yeah, the character has been pretty much Flanderized beyond repair in the spinoffs. Aggravates me to hell and back. They managed to make an insecure, mostly-innocent, compassionate and sometimes lonesome fish out of water into a 24/7 slapstick and erection machine (
and not in the way I like
).

Jintor

Junpei and Yosuke are about equivalent to my experience with people of a similar nature to them in high school, though I went to a boy's high school so idk

I agree with Scrafty though, Junpei is a fantastic character but you have to suffer through his early-game bullshit for him to get to that point

Is Chidorita canonically dead? I haven't played/watched P4AU yet

King Fost

Neo Member
Why? Chidori was also a terrible character honestly. The romance between her and Junpei, while important to his development, was poorly written. The fact that Junpei is a well-written character is in spite of Chidori rather than because of her.

Jintor

You're a wonderful little ball of positivity lol. I agree though - honestly I don't like a lot of how P3 is written; far too much is left until around November to really start developing or to really start giving a shit about any of the characters, Chidori is kind of just a manic pixie girl who turns up to trigger Junpei's character arc which doesn't start in earnest until he meets her, etc, etc.

However, all of that said, I still enjoy the actual characters themselves, and it sucks when they get glossed over or turned into self-parodies.

Anyway, here's some mystery food x

tumblr_nh7e2f81Is1sn41kxo2_1280.jpg

CorvoSol

P4AU

So let's gripe, then commend.

Oh God please no Elizabeth. Please don't set this up as Bonds vs. Solitude. As an implicit theme it works great but oh God don't flat out say it, girl.

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh Sho is a hedgehog. Please don't tell me Sho is the Malevolent Entity. I mean, yeah, we probably overhyped ourselves with the expectation of Nyarlothotep, but Sho the Hedgehog and Ikutsuki as the final villains of this arc is so anticlimactic. I mean Ikutsuki himself is pretty much the definition of Anti-Climax in this franchise. Every other villain has something going for them. Kandori may have been bare bones, but he at least remained a constant irritant and the scum behind the game's events. Hitler was fucking HITLER, Joker had plot plot plot, Sudou's son had charisma, and Sudou himself is the object of much of the game's chase.

Fuck, Takaya comes off as a better villain than Ikutsuki. Ikutsuki was the villain for a single, albeit important, scene. The scene in which he betrays the party is also the one in which he "dies." You never even fight him.

And let's not pretend that he isn't in on this. They could not be foreshadowing him more heavily with Sho's shitty jokes, the constant reminders that the villain knows Mitsuru's team well and Naoto name dropping him at the beginning.

My one hope remains that there is a supernatural fourth party to round these villains out, since I don't want to believe falling off Tartarus was the beginning of Ikkutsuki's path to magic evil power.

As a final complaint at 50% of the way through EP4, Adachi's role so far felt extremely tacked on. He shows up, drops a hint and then just deuces out. Maybe his DLC or later in the game will flesh his role out, but otherwise his position seems to have been "provide intel on the IT to the REAL bad guys and then chill out." And considering Public Safety had info on Naoto, I can't imagine it'd've been that hard to write this plot without him.

Right, now the positives.

Absolutely loved Rise's acquisition of her new Persona. I thought they did a great job of utilizing the internal monologue for a change to show something meaningful about the character (instead of OH BOY RED PILLARS AND SHIT THERE'S A TOWER AT YASOGAMI SCHOOL). Especially noteworthy to me was the impression Fuuka of all people made on her. It's great for showing how far Fuuka's come since P3, and it's a more meaningful connection than basically anybody in the P4 cast made with the P3 cast. Unless you count Yosuke and Teddie taking the time to talk about Mitsuru's body, which wouldn't be unfair, since they're teenage boys and she's a hot woman in a skintight catsuit.

I digress. The point is, I really enjoyed that the monologue gave Rise some internal depth, and that her own personal problems from her Social Link contributed to weakening her. Her interactions with Elizabeth were also the most important contribution Elizabeth's made the entire run of the Arena sub-series. No dicking around with the other Fools, and no fighting Labrys just to not start her plot, Elizabeth's intervention actually mattered and showed a side of E I'd yet to see: disdain for a weak person.

After that, I'm really enjoying Naoto's storyline, too. She's more involved with the P3 cast than the P4, but it's nice to see a member of the IT take an active role in figuring shit out. To Yu's credit, he puts the whole shaving Personas thing together just about as fast as she does, but since Naoto solves it after her first fight, I suppose it stuck out to me more. I mean, Minazuki actually tried to off her himself, presumably because Naoto is smart and will figure this shit out.

Speaking of which, I appreciate that the game preserved Kanji's ability to pick up on stuff that's obvious that the others overlook. Last game treated Kanji like nothing more than a joke, and while he IS hilarious, it's nice to see aspects of his character from P4 come up again in the game, rather than just MEAT MEAT MEAT like Chie in PQ.

I also like being able to pick whoever I want to use in fights. It gives the appearance that the party is fighting as a party like in a regular Persona game, while obeying the game's actual rules.

On to gameplay, I guess? I still suck balls because I do, but I enjoy Rise the most of the new characters I've tried. Which is admittedly just Rise and Notsuya himself, but I found her more fun to play with. Especially got a kick out of her grab being an almost kiss combo'd into some attack.

Ken still sounds like a goddamn parrot, and so far none of the new P3 faces look quite right. Not sure how to put that, other than that I feel another draft of those pictures would've been nice.

Katsura Hashino (Atlus)
Known for: Persona series

“In recent times especially, there’s a pervading sense of oppression for many people at an existential level, but so long as we as a species are able to form relationships one another in this world, we’ll always have the ability within ourselves to be able to break free from such restraints, both as individuals, but especially for groups that have a strong sense of self. In making a new proper numbered entry in the Persona series, we’re hoping to bring those issues to the forefront and are working tireless on it to make it happen, so be sure to keep an eye on more information about Persona 5 in the coming months.”

from the 4 gamer interviews

Setsu00

From the 4Gamer end of the year, developer interview article (I'll try using my masterful Google translate interpretation skills):

Katsura Hashino:
The writer Mafia Kajita, the voice actor Tomomi Isomura and the illustrator Yuji Himukai. Reason: The official Atlus show Persona Stalker Club has become quite popular due to the hosts' silliness. [Real unclear on this one]: For the rest... it's for the hero of the latest game. I spent a lot of trouble this year designing him to match the story and his development.

Here's my take on the cursive part since you were unsure:

"Other than them, it's the protagonist of the latest title on even though he doesn't exist [yet]. I've been working day and night on his feelings and thoughts as he advances in the story this year. To put it in a nutshell, the protagonist is a stand-in for the players, so it was quite troublesome to always keep his ever-changing thoughts in mind."

Surely there has to be a point in Persona Q where Teddie isn't awful.
Maybe if you play as Yu..?

Nope, he's still the same.

Although to say something positive about Teddie, the scenes with him and Koromaru are his best moments in the game.

Edit: Just cleared P4 side on Normal in 78 hours and 14 minutes! Probably took longer since that doesnt include game overs and stuff.

Setsu00

Nope, he's still the same.

Although to say something positive about Teddie, the scenes with him and Koromaru are his best moments in the game.

Edit: Just cleared P4 side on Normal in 78 hours and 14 minutes! Probably took longer since that doesnt include game overs and stuff.

I cleared the P4 side about two hours ago in 84 hours and 23 minutes. As you can probably see, I had a tendency to get stuck.

Anyway, I loved PQ and I really liked what the game had to say about life.

Kinsei

Banned
With us getting new P5 info within the next two months I've been thinking back on my P4:G playthrough, and I really hope they give us a goal to work towards in the dungeon(s) like in P3 again, or make the regular battles much harder. Reaching a boss with ease and then realizing you're 12 levels below the average when he one-shots your entire party isn't fun.

I finished the P3 side in about 103 hours, so you all seem like speed demons in comparison, haha.

I cleared the P4 side about two hours ago in 84 hours and 23 minutes. As you can probably see, I had a tendency to get stuck.

Anyway, I loved PQ and I really liked what the game had to say about life.

I really agree with you there. (PQ spoilers, to be safe.)
The entire final scene was just gold to me. Everyone saying goodbye as they went through the doors was pretty cool. And the final animated cutscene really shocked me when the protagonist talked. It seemed like a really fitting end.

If it's a little compensation, Akihiko changes in the P3 side starting from the fourth floor of the fourth labyrinth till the end. And he said "I've been waiting for this!" in one of his follow up attacks a few days ago so I'm not even mad. (◡‿◡✿)

I dunno about Junpei, like, I really hated him for a long time while playing P3 since he was basically "Dude you're cool! > Fuck you > I'm sorry, dude! > Fuck you" and so on. Obviously he changed thanks to Chidori and I loved moments like Operation Babe Hunt and the hot springs, but that image of Asshole!Junpei still makes me not like him that much.

He's really cool in The Answer and PQ though.

CorvoSol

If it's a little compensation, Akihiko changes in the P3 side starting from the fourth floor of the fourth labyrinth till the end. And he said "I've been waiting for this!" in one of his follow up attacks a few days ago so I'm not even mad. (◡‿◡✿)

I dunno about Junpei, like, I really hated him for a long time while playing P3 since he was basically "Dude you're cool! > Fuck you > I'm sorry, dude! > Fuck you" and so on. Obviously he changed thanks to Chidori and I loved moments like Operation Babe Hunt and the hot springs, but that image of Asshole!Junpei still makes me not like him that much.

He's really cool in The Answer and PQ though.

I really liked P3P Junpei because you get to see an entirely different side of him. In his social link he talks a little about his home life and it sheds some light on why he's misbehaving the way he does early on. He's also given a chance to -be- the cool guy he wants to be and he turns out to play the role quite well. He goes from a sort of dopey ass to being a really sweet, caring friend who is FRUSTRATINGLY FOREVER BEYOND THE REACH OF A GIRL WHO CAN WOO LITERALLY EVERY OTHER MAN IN THE WORLD.

CorvoSol

I'd put him on equal terms with Chie. I find Aki the most annoying, in the original he was a suave, laid-back senpai, now he's a literal protein junkie.

See, for me, Chie is the only one I find upsetting. Chie was a caring, easy-going girl next-door and PQ reduces her to a flesh eating bacteria in a plaid miniskirt.

Were Q and Arena by different writing staffs? Because I actually feel like Arena does a much better job of keeping the characters from 4 consistent with themselves.

Setsu00

See, for me, Chie is the only one I find upsetting. Chie was a caring, easy-going girl next-door and PQ reduces her to a flesh eating bacteria in a plaid miniskirt.

Were Q and Arena by different writing staffs? Because I actually feel like Arena does a much better job of keeping the characters from 4 consistent with themselves.

The writers for Q and Ultimax at least were completely different. Q was written by Azusa Kido while Ultimax had a whole armada of writers behind it. Kido was also involved with the scenarios in P3 and P4.

Dantis

*spits out drink*

I disagree.

Meia

I want to say it's largely incorrect, but Arena did a better job of having the character moments where who they actually are come through. At least, with some of the cast. Chie is kind of a good example of this, as her confrontations with the IT as per the story add to her if people haven't seen her shadow confrontation from 4/her social link from 4.

PQ excels in character interaction, but on an individual character basis it can be somewhat lacking. Chie isn't nearly as bad as Akihiko though, as Chie at least comes across as a protector at times instead of a mindless protein goon.

I think it boils down to the bad cases of PQ aren't nearly as numerous as Arena, and PQ adds a fair bit to how you can view the characters too. Kanji's interactions with Ken are marvelous, and even Yukiko's with Kanji are great.

FluxWaveZ

Is there any other series anyone here can think of which would actually fit well with Persona for a cross-over game (or which anyone would genuinely want to see)? I was thinking about the nature of Atlus' recent collaborations, and I was wondering if P Studio would actually want to do this with Persona for anything.

I do think that something about SMTxFE actually makes sense. Then there are others which make even more sense like Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright or Street Fighter x Tekken. Can't think of any analog for Persona off the top of my head, though.

Vylash

Is there any other series anyone here can think of which would actually fit well with Persona for a cross-over game (or which anyone would genuinely want to see)? I was thinking about the nature of Atlus' recent collaborations, and I was wondering if P Studio would actually want to do this with Persona for anything.

I do think that something about SMTxFE actually makes sense. Then there are others which make even more sense like Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright or Street Fighter x Tekken. Can't think of any analog for Persona off the top of my head, though.

Danganronpa

FluxWaveZ

senran kagura

Hell of a nightmare scenario, that would be.

In terms of similar cult favorites, Danganronpa also kind of comes to mind, but I dunno. Not of the same genre, and they're both very different in tone, even though they might have the same underlying themes at times. Maybe it's the thematic that's the important part for these.

Really curious if one will actually happen in the future. It sounds like something P Studio would be open to, but not in any way that would feel throw-away or dilute the brand.

Jintor

Well the other deal with a Danganronpa crossover is that our party members would have to murder one another and we'd lose them over time. :T

I tried to draw up a list but I don't want anyone to die, so I suck

Vylash

Well the other deal with a Danganronpa crossover is that our party members would have to murder one another and we'd lose them over time. :T

eh, there doesn't really have to be a killing game

Meia

We kind of have to wait for them to release a non-killing game to have that idea. :p

I mean, yeah, I guess the side game that just came out is something, but we should probably see what they do with 3 first. There's almost a "Die Hard" thing happening in my mind about it with "How can they possibly come up with yet another scenario where the same "killing game" idea happens again?"

But yeah, watching P3 and P4 characters kill each other and then get executed in horrible ways? No thanks, I'm good. :p

FluxWaveZ

If there was a theoretical Persona x Danganronpa, what do you think it should be, then? It's hard to think of since the game's they originate from are not only of different genres (though one could argue JRPGs can be pretty close to VNs in a way), but the subject matter of the franchises are entirely different. What comes to mind is both games' characters stuck in a school, but doing classroom trials about stuff like "Who stole the meat gum?" (reminds me of some PQ side quests)

This is why I was wondering about this; it's pretty hard to envision a proper Persona cross-over (and I don't mean simply in terms of genres like they've been doing, but of IP), although Persona x Devil Survivor was suggested above, and that could be pretty simple to imagine.

Vylash

If there was a theoretical Persona x Danganronpa, what do you think it should be, then? It's hard to think of since the game's they originate from are not only of different genres (though one could argue JRPGs can be pretty close to VNs in a way), but the subject matter of the franchises are entirely different. What comes to mind is both games' characters stuck in a school, but doing classroom trials about stuff like "Who stole the meat gum?" (reminds me of some PQ side quests)

This is why I was wondering about this; it's pretty hard to envision a proper Persona cross-over (and I don't mean simply in terms of genres like they've been doing, but of IP), although Persona x Devil Survivor was suggested above, and that could be pretty simple to imagine.

I was thinking of just a straight up JRPG, maybe with class trials somehow tied into advancing through dungeons

Sophia

Seems like SMT x DanganRonpa would work better if you ask me. Would allow DR to keep its atmosphere. No compromises and all that.

CorvoSol

*spits out drink*

I disagree.

In my defense I'm like, only a fourth of the way into Ultimax and it's been enough months since I played Arena that I could be forgetting things. I can see myself as being wrong if this is about the P3 cast, since Akihiko is suddenly all about the protein, but I just like that Arena at least made fun of the characterization of Chie as "meat meat meat" Y'know?

Nimby

Banned

Heh, easy. Teddie, then Chie, Yosuke, and then we run into problems.

Anyway, Danganronpa sounds interesting but I really don't know anything about it other than it being a VN.

Can't really think of a good Persona crossover. Persona x Tetsuya Nomura. Belts and zippers everywhere. Rake in the dough.

Meia

I did see a story that was a Persona/Corpse Party idea, but yeah, no. Some peeps just love the idea of seeing beloved casts suffer.

FluxWaveZ

Can't really think of a good Persona crossover. Persona x Tetsuya Nomura. Belts and zippers everywhere. Rake in the dough.

Oh, that does make me recall the only game that I could think of that a Persona cross-over would work with: The World Ends With You. Very similar underlying themes; a cast of teenagers with distinct personalities, each with their own complexes and shadows that they hide and must overcome as the story progresses; the dichotomy between the "real world" and a "hidden world"; each character has rather unique weapons; an urban setting;
a big bad that is doing what it's doing because that's what they deem is best for humanity
; both JRPGs; both have a day-to-day element... geez, I always thought they were similar (which is why I love them both), but listing it out like that really demonstrates it.

The one series cross-over with a company other than Atlus I think could truly work is a Persona x The World Ends With You, either by being an RPG, a fighting game, or something else. The issue is that that game isn't really a series of its own, so they don't really have a similar level of notoriety for a cross-over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom