• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

Didn't the Yakuza game get a bundle? I'm pretty sure that Persona is more popular so it's likely to get one too.

In terms of Japanese sales—where a bundle would be most likely to happen—you'd be wrong. Persona might be more relevant internationally, however, but the series benefits from the games actually being released here.

Weiss

Banned
'Used to'? What refuted it?

Nothing necessarily,
but SMT4 is completely stand alone, and has YHVH and Lucifer in different positions than they were in SJ. If Demiurge's appearance in SJ as the ultimate boss were a lead up to something, it would have been followed up in 4, where Demiurge reappears with a completely different backstory.

Nothing necessarily,
but SMT4 is completely stand alone, and has YHVH and Lucifer in different positions than they were in SJ. If Demiurge's appearance in SJ as the ultimate boss were a lead up to something, it would have been followed up in 4, where Demiurge reappears with a completely different backstory.

I get the feeling SMT4 was standalone to be more welcoming to new players picking it up after Persona really took off in popularity. Now that more games in the series have become more readily available, maybe SMT5 will be heavier on continuity?

jzbluz

In terms of Japanese sales—where a bundle would be most likely to happen—you'd be wrong. Persona might be more relevant internationally, however, but the series benefits from the games actually being released here.

I only vaguely remembered how Yakuza Zero did, but wow, Yakuza 5 sold more than half a million copies.

FluxWaveZ

I only vaguely remembered how Yakuza Zero did, but wow, Yakuza 5 sold more than half a million copies.

Yeah. In terms of sales, the Yakuza series has sold over 5.7 million copies just in Japan since its debut in 2005 (so 10 years). Comparatively, the Persona series has only sold 6 million copies worldwide since its debut in 1996 (so 19 years, almost twice the amount of times Yakuza has been on the market).

Persona 5 has the potential to outsell Yakuza 5 domestically, however. Part of Persona 5's possibility to "break out" if they market it properly. The same for its Western performance, if it's given a chance.

cj_iwakura

Yeah. In terms of sales, the Yakuza series has sold over 5.7 million copies just in Japan since its debut in 2005 (so 10 years). Comparatively, the Persona series has only sold 6 million copies worldwide since its debut in 1996 (so 19 years, almost twice the amount of times Yakuza has been on the market).

Persona 5 has the potential to outsell Yakuza 5 domestically, however.

'Potential''? Yakuza is extremely niche here, and 5 is only getting a digital release. It's like comparing Final Fantasy to Drakengard.

FluxWaveZ

'Potential''? Yakuza is extremely niche here, and 5 is only getting a digital release. It's like comparing Final Fantasy to Drakengard.

Um, did you miss the word "domestically" and the comment I was replying to?

Domestically means relating to a country of origin, by the way.

Well, unless you're Japanese, I take domestically to mean here.

No, we were talking about the Japanese market. I don't even know what "here" is, in your context.

I've never heard this version of Time before and it's amazing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrihiSiYwfA

Wow. I've been running through FeMC's story the past few weeks (let's say I was inspired in part by the FeMC art challenge) and I love her OST. Her music feels different, yet it somehow doesn't seem out of place or tonally inconsistent. I just got to the second semester and that new school theme is poppin.

Thanks for sharing this cover, it's incredible.

Gematsu has a new P4D trailer, focusing on the Lawson costumes. It is kinda cool though, because it has samples of the remixes of Your Affection and Heartbeat, Heartbreak. I especially like the latter.

Edit: I should say just longer clips of remixes shown in other trailers.

FluxWaveZ

It seems that Nanako is the main character for Heartbeat, Heartbreak (TOWA TEI Remix).

I can't get over how much I love Dance! I hope that's what most people voted for the pre-launch stream.

Edit: And it's going to be really interesting to see just how unique the choreographies are in duets based on the partner character. How Nanako was dancing probably isn't how another character would during that segment.

It seems that Nanako is the main character for Heartbeat, Heartbreak (TOWA TEI Remix).

I can't get over how much I love Dance! I hope that's what most people voted for the pre-launch stream.

Edit: And it's going to be really interesting to see just how unique the choreographies are in duets based on the partner character. How Nanako was dancing probably isn't how another character would during that segment.

It's not a one-to-one comparison obviously, but they did show a little of Narukami dancing to Dance! with Kanami on that PSC episode. Not sure it's the same scene, but there do seem to be at least a few differences. (Youtube link.)

84X

Banned
Are all the songs in P4D remixes? Everything I've heard so far has been kind of terrible lmao

No.

It's not a one-to-one comparison obviously, but they did show a little of Narukami dancing to Dance! with Kanami on that PSC episode. Not sure it's the same scene, but there do seem to be at least a few differences. (Youtube link.)

I guess this means the partner dances aren't all completely generic like I thought. Unless only Nanako has unique partner dances due to her size... weird, but cool.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, I think that's the only other duet where we can make a comparison with so far. I made a Youtube Doubler of it here, since they seem to be the exact same parts of the song, and Kanami and Nanako's segments are very different.

Edit: Actually, scratch that: they're two different parts of the song, so we still can't compare just what the differences between partners will be.

I guess this means the partner dances aren't all completely generic like we thought. Unless only Nanako has unique partner dances due to her size... weird, but cool.

I never thought this. Japanese editorial previews explicitly stated that partners in duets would have unique choreography and dialogue for every possible pairing in a given song.

84X

Banned
I never thought this. Japanese editorial previews explicitly stated that partners in duets would have unique choreography and dialogue for every possible pairing in a given song.

Oh, my bad then. I must have glanced over that when I went through the previews before.

I'm still surprised by how much the choreography differs though, again I think it's really cool.

Edit: Maybe... have to wait for clear comparison....

FluxWaveZ

Edit: Maybe... have to wait for clear comparison....

Yeah, it's still up in the air. It's clear that there'll be some unique flourishes to them, but what you initially thought might not be completely wrong either, because all partners might have a generic overall dance that they follow. It would be crazy if each partner had a completely unique dance during a song's Fever time. But, then again, I heavily doubt you'll see Yosuke dance at all like Nanako did in that Lawson video if he's selected as a partner for Yu in Dance!

arue

Heh, I see. Optimistic for that, but pessimistic for the other... Okay, would you consider any piece of new footage or a new screenshot as significant?
Yes. New screenshot, new footage, new character artwork, and a real release date (month/date/year) will count as significant.

I'll get your avatar ready now.

FluxWaveZ

Yes. New screenshot, new footage, new character artwork, and a real release date (month/date/year) will count as significant.

I'll get your avatar ready now.

Hey, I didn't agree to this yet! It's actually pretty risky, because we both know it's best to expect the worst when nothing is overtly hinted at for a conference, especially a North American focused one. I also think I've lost every bet I've taken here thus far because I was driven by hope instead of logic.

But any piece of new footage, huh. Like, even two seconds in a montage? Or a newspaper clipping of some random new screenshot taped to Atlus' exhibitor booth? Hm, almost seems like it might be in my favor. I'm guessing the English version of the Persona 5 poster doesn't count? Recently, Persona 5 has appeared at each of the major conferences we've been discussing (SCEJ conference, TGS presentation, PlayStation Experience 2014).

I'll sleep on it.

Makio

i hope we get so many trailers of Persona 5 , like we got of Dancing All Night right now or Q / Ultimax back in the day.

Trailers for each character can be nice.

Needs to be 25th june already , the mystery of the p5 blu ray is killing me lol

jzbluz

Hey, I didn't agree to this yet! It's actually pretty risky, because we both know it's best to expect the worst when nothing is overtly hinted at for a conference, especially a North American focused one. I also think I've lost every bet I've taken here thus far because I was driven by hope instead of logic.

But any piece of new footage, huh. Like, even two seconds in a montage? Or a newspaper clipping of some random new screenshot taped to Atlus' exhibitor booth? Hm, almost seems like it might be in my favor. I'm guessing the English version of the Persona 5 poster doesn't count? Recently, Persona 5 has appeared at each of the major conferences we've been discussing (SCEJ conference, TGS presentation, PlayStation Experience 2014).

I'll sleep on it.

Haha, since when has Atlus USA revealed anything before Atlus Japan? And why would Atlus Japan reveal anything before P4DAN comes out?

arue

I'll sleep on it.
Oh okay :p

Even 2 seconds count I guess. Random new screenshot is still news.

TBH I hope that Persona 5 takes a note from P1 (or Catherine, I guess) and focuses more heavily on analyzing one character's psychological issues, rather than the "All of my friends have exactly 1.5 issues they need to work on! Let's help them each in turn" system that's been the series standard.

The theory is, is that each of the characters in P5 represent one of the seven deadly sins, right? It'll probably be a 1.5 issue story then.

0435ca49f3ad37b940fb6d80e41c8b5210dd.png

DNAbro

Haha, since when has Atlus USA revealed anything before Atlus Japan? And why would Atlus Japan reveal anything before P4DAN comes out?

Cause Sony might ask them to. Like they call them up and say, " hey you know that game you are making. The biggest, most expensive, most important game you guys have ever made? Yeah we want to give you guys free advertising to the whole world. We just want something new"

Or something like that. I'm sure this exactly how these things work lol

FluxWaveZ

If we're going with the "any piece of footage" is significant benchmark, Atlus USA revealed some of the Persona 4 Arena Ultimax console opening as well as the main theme with lyrics, through IGN, before Atlus Japan. But yeah, the general rule for information is that we won't typically see game media from Atlus USA before it has been shown for Japan.

But for the second question, the answer is obvious. If Persona 5 is still a 2015 launch in North America, E3 2015 will probably be the last truly big venue to push the game for the North American audience. Showing more of Persona 5 would not overshadow P4D at all (different types of games, different platforms, release dates far apart...), and it also would not necessarily encroach on the "special Blu-ray" movie's territory. Even though Atlus USA doesn't usually show stuff before Atlus Japan, Persona 5 could be an exception to this for obvious reasons, especially if Sony had a hand in its marketing.

I'm not sure if we've already touched on this, but if the twins are the new velvet room attendants in P5, what do you suppose the reasoning could be for Marge or even Theo to be unavailable?

Unless, of course, they don't bother to explain it at all, which could be possible.

Any crazy ideas, anyone?

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I'm not sure if we've already touched on this, but if the twins are the new velvet room attendants in P5, what do you suppose the reasoning could be for Marge or even Theo to be unavailable?

Unless, of course, they don't bother to explain it at all, which could be possible.

Any crazy ideas, anyone?
Different dimensions. But yeah, they never kept the same attendants for whatever reasons.

FluxWaveZ

Different dimensions. But yeah, they never kept the same attendants for whatever reasons.

Just like how the Velvet Room itself reflects the inner psyche of their hosts and their journey in Persona 3 and Persona 4, so do the attendants, as the anima and animus pertaining to Jungian psychology.

Any crazy ideas, anyone?

They won't explain it at all. Highly unnecessary.

Lunar15

Just like how the Velvet Room itself reflects the inner psyche of their hosts and their journey in Persona 3 and Persona 4, so do the attendants, as the anima and animus pertaining to Jungian psychology.

Since the velvet room has actually been somewhat of a constant, even moreso between 3 and 4, I have a feeling it won't be left entirely open. They may not initially explain it, but I think there will be at least a subtle reference to Elizabeth and Margaret.

More importantly, what are their names? Are they gonna pull from the Frankenstein cast again?

FluxWaveZ

Since the velvet room has actually been somewhat of a constant, even moreso between 3 and 4, I have a feeling it won't be left entirely open. They may not initially explain it, but I think there will be at least a subtle reference to Elizabeth and Margaret.

I could maybe see a hidden subtle hint akin to a Persona 4 secret boss dialogue thing, but I doubt it'll ever be on the level of the "Elizabeth Journey" subplot.

It would be the easy way out, needless to say.

It's not just that it's easy, it's that why does it even matter? Do you actually want that? I really don't care for direct continuations of the P3 and P4 timeline in P5.

Lunar15

I could maybe see a hidden subtle hint akin to a Persona 4 secret boss dialogue thing, but I doubt it'll ever be on the level of the "Elizabeth Journey" subplot.

It's not just that it's easy, it's that why does it even matter? Do you actually want that? I really don't care for direct continuations of the P3 and P4 timeline in P5.

I definitely don't want heavy connections. Just saying that I think there will be some connections, subtle or not. I'd say this is one area where I wouldn't mind at least one or two references, but I still would prefer it to be subtle. I see it being like that offhand statement by Margaret at during the secret boss.

muteki

Was the first cross-velvet room dialogue in Arena or Ultimax? I don't remember any references to Elizabeth in P4 proper.

Maybe if there is an Arena 3 or whathaveyou with P5 characters they will tie all 3 rooms together.

Tamanon

Banned
Obviously one of the twins is the child of Yu and Margaret, while the other is the child of Yu and Elizabeth.

Yu is all, Yu is one.

As a matter of fact, I do. Continuity makes it a part of a larger world. What exactly is there to gain by having no link to the past entries?
Besides, name one persona game that doesn't have some reference to its predecessor.
Even P1 has characters from SMT: if, iirc.

P4's connections to P3 were weak and it probably would have been better off without them.

Velvet Room, Igor, that's enough connection.

How exactly does 'This thing you did happened' detract from the experience?

Is it cause you think the protagonists should stay ignorant of each other?
Unless of course, you just want each main entry self-contained.

FluxWaveZ

As a matter of fact, I do. Continuity makes it a part of a larger world. What exactly is there to gain by having no link to the past entries?
Besides, name one persona game that doesn't have some reference to its predecessor.
Even P1 has characters from SMT: if, iirc.

What there is to gain is individuality and its own personality and sense of self. I couldn't care less about connections to previous games, even though I'm not advocating for the total absence of them (they did mention that P5 took place in the same universe as P3 and P4 already).

But, unlike you, those connections are so extremely unimportant to me that I couldn't care less about them, and I think that they would actually detract from the experience if they felt shoehorned in. They're appropriate for ridiculous spin-offs like a dancing game, but very much unnecessary, except for fan pandering, in a mainline game.

VegiHam

I fully expect something, but nothing 'Oh hey let's go to Tatsumi Port Island' level of referential. That was easy to do cus they had the assets; but I don't see them making an HD Inaba or anything. Calling it now: the Teddie character is the the nationwide Junes mascot and you get to win a toy of him from vending machines.

Also, Risette and Yukari co-star in a movie advertised on a billboard in the background. IDK, I expect something like that anyway.

Nachos

How exactly does 'This thing you did happened' detract from the experience?

Is it cause you think the protagonists should stay ignorant of each other?
Unless of course, you just want each main entry self-contained.
I think part of my issue is that by continually adding more and more references, later games are just going to be weighed down by so much baggage. At some point all of the references and through-lines are going to snowball into something too big to be adequately resolved in a bunch of spin-offs. Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I'm just imagining Persona getting to a point where all of the additional plot lines overshadow an individual game's plot years down the line. I think we're already getting there somewhat with the Shadow Operatives and (maybe) Elizabeth's quest – it's grandiose in a series where half of the appeal is trying to live a normal life.

It also makes each game more approachable and frees Atlus up creatively. Just look at Kingdom Hearts as an example of how to make your series impenetrable to someone with a casual interest in 2015. I have more faith in Atlus, but I've just been repeatedly burned by Nomura's wild ride since I was 8 – I don't want my relationship with Atlus to be that of a battered spouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom