• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone think Persona 5 will have DLC? All of the four recent spin-off games have had DLC, but none of the core games. What would be 'acceptable' DLC that you'd be willing to pay for?

The only DLC I would be willing to buy is an extra episode type, think "The Answer" or "Left Behind"

I've never been one for buying overpowered weapons/demons/personas and I'm not really into cosmetic DLC either (although for DAN its kinda cool).

kiyoaki

Anyone think Persona 5 will have DLC? All of the four recent spin-off games have had DLC, but none of the core games. What would be 'acceptable' DLC that you'd be willing to pay for?
I'd certainly pay for expansion sets that contain actual new story and gameplay (ideally something as fleshed out as The Last of Us Left Behind, but an extra dungeon with some cutscenes on the level of The Answer might also be good).

I'd never pay for costumes, which is the kind of DLC that Atlus are most likely going to make. Extra songs by Meguro would tempt me somewhat, though.

Sadly, DLC seems like a given at this point, so if anything I hope it's like PQ. Some overpowered personas, and maybe a few battle support voices. I really, really hope they don't do any story DLC, mostly because I don't think I'd like the way it would work with the calendar system. Plus, one reason I like the Persona games is because they work so well as a whole. You grow over the year, and the themes of the game have a natural progression too. Something like the Answer would be okay, but that really depends on the ending.

Lunar15

I don't mind DLC as long as it doesn't feel like cut content being resold to us. I cringe at the thought of social link or playable character DLC.

That I don't see happening. At least, I hope not. I can see costumes, weapons, and maybe something like an additional sidequest that gives you a lot of Yen or EXP, but not anything to the degree that it would feel like content they removed from the original experience. In the most extreme case, I could see them adding an additional dungeon, but something more loot/exp related than story related.

artsi

Neither Catherine or Persona 4 Golden had DLC, based on that I think that Persona 5 won't necessarily have any.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Persona 4 Golden was a best of rerelease, so I don't think that counts.

I'm at least somewhat confident that Atlus won't cut out main game stuff and put it into DLC, as terrible as their DLC practices are. Probably expect costumes, broken personas that you wouldn't want to use anyway and navigator voices. Here's grown up nanako in a crossover that makes no sense!

Sophia

Wasn't The Answer DLC in Japan?

It was released in two version. One of which was identical to what we got (The Journey with new modifications + The Answer), the other was an "Append" version, or basically a standalone expansion pack.

That I don't see happening. At least, I hope not. I can see costumes, weapons, and maybe something like an additional sidequest that gives you a lot of Yen or EXP, but not anything to the degree that it would feel like content they removed from the original experience. In the most extreme case, I could see them adding an additional dungeon, but something more loot/exp related than story related.

Think we should look to what kind of DLC that Shin Megami Tensei IV and Persona Q have. That is, basically what you described. Sidequests, costumes, weapons, etc.

Think we should look to what kind of DLC that Shin Megami Tensei IV and Persona Q have. That is, basically what you described. Sidequests, costumes, weapons, etc.

And let's not also forget the inevitable "Persona Pack - Persona 4 Classics" for only $9.99! "Get the investigation team's personas for use in Persona 5!"

it's going to happen. You'll never been rid of Persona 4, ever.

As much as I love SMT4, I hope they don't go that route with P5.
Especially when it comes to making
bosses that should just be locked behind NG+
DLC.

Broken Persona DLC and grind maps are harmless, imo.

I'd rather have the complete experience when I just buy the game. Additional day one DLC always gives me a wierd feeling. I didn't even like the fact that you could clear floors in PQ by using those 3ds coins. It all breaks immersion and detracts from the game.

Maybe I'm just being whiny or entitled.

As much as I love SMT4, I hope they don't go that route with P5.
Especially when it comes to making
bosses that should just be locked behind NG+
DLC.

Damn don't remind me. But P studio didn't make SMTIV so hopefully that won't be the case for P5.

For some reason I don't see P5 having any mayor DLC. If it does, however, I just hope it's something that complements the game's plot while not being essential to it.

No "True Ending" bullshit.

Lunar15

Haha, I forgot that SMTIV even had retailer specific pre-order bonuses in the US, at least for Gamestop.

You can bet your ass there will be something like that with P5. At the very least, they seem pretty fond of doing different DLC for different magazines in japan. Might do the same here.

It's annoying and kind of gross, but as long as its frivolous and cosmetic, I won't really care.

Haha, I forgot that SMTIV even had retailer specific pre-order bonuses in the US, at least for Gamestop.

You can bet your ass there will be something like that with P5. At the very least, they seem pretty fond of doing different DLC for different magazines in japan. Might do the same here.

It's annoying and kind of gross, but as long as its frivolous and cosmetic, I won't really care.

smt4_1.png

They've really gone all out with this stuff for Dancing All Night too.

Grinding DLC at least seems to be the standard for Atlus games these days. I think everything since SMT IV has had it, or some other DLC in some form or another. Persona 5 is pretty much guaranteed to have some sort of DLC.

After the backlash to Untold 2, I could see them toning it down a bit, or at least Atlus USA might make it free if it's really bad, like they did with U2.

QuadOpto

Like someone else said, anything majorly plot connected to the main game would be difficult to incorporate as DLC, as it obviously can't fit with the calendar system. The only way they could include it is if they make them like side stories--as in, completely detached from the actual game, a different option on the main menu. Then it'd probably work more like the Answer, with a heavier focus on dungeon-crawling.

There'd definitely be DLC costumes, but I think they might have a helping of them in the base game as well this time, since it does seem to have a whole entire thing in the equipment menu for costumes.

kiyoaki

Quick and dirty translation of the voiced narration:

Voice: What's wrong? Are you just going to watch?
Voice: Was that a mistake?
Voice: Heh, that's right. That's as it should be. I am you, you are I.
Voice: For the sake of the justice you believed in, make the blasphemers repent!
Voice: Now, begin!
I've listened to this passage again. It's always hard to tell with corny chuunibyou lines delivered in a distorted demon voice, but I think the last two lines sound like this in Japanese:
己が信じた正義の為に。普く冒涜を顧みぬものよ。さあ、始めろ!
So in English, I think that would make it something along the lines of "For the sake of the justice you believed in. You who doesn't reflect on/repent the blasphemy that is everywhere - begin!"

Like someone else said, anything majorly plot connected to the main game would be difficult to incorporate as DLC, as it obviously can't fit with the calendar system.

What about Winter in P4G? In vanilla, it was just a big timeskip. What's to say an expansion couldn't be done?

Or they could just go "fuck it" and have a time vortex open up over the city so time doesn't pass for the duration of the DLC.

FluxWaveZ

What about Winter in P4G? In vanilla, it was just a big timeskip. What's to say an expansion couldn't be done?

We're talking about DLC, not expansions. At least, if you mean P3FES and P4G style expansions, because Persona 5 may very well have one of its own, which is a separate thing from just DLC.

Or they could just go "fuck it" and have a time vortex open up over the city so time doesn't pass for the duration of the DLC.
If they incorporate that as dlc how would that even work? You'd need to have a save around the time skip otherwise you would need to play the game again.

If they incorporate that as dlc how would that even work? You'd need to have a save around the time skip otherwise you would need to play the game again.

It could be like an 'extra game mode' type of thing, sort of like The Answer? Or like Tasuya's story in in EP-PSP?

I can see them slapping DLC quests in there like SMTIV.

Lunar15

I've been in hyper-analytical mode over the trailer. One scene that sticks out to me is the one where Arsene asks the protagonist, "Was it a mistake?". During that line, it shows a flashback of the train from the first trailer speeding through a station and then a truck blowing up.

Are these events related to the "mistake?" Maybe the MC is blamed for something he didn't do? They could very well be completely unrelated and added just for effect, but the fact that it shows it at the same time Arsene talks about a mistake stuck out to me.

Theodoricos

I've been in hyper-analytical mode over the trailer. One scene that sticks out to me is the one where Arsene asks the protagonist, "Was it a mistake?". During that line, it shows a flashback of the train from the first trailer speeding through a station and then a truck blowing up.

Are these events related to the "mistake?" Maybe the MC is blamed for something he didn't do? They could very well be completely unrelated and added just for effect, but the fact that it shows it at the same time Arsene talks about a mistake stuck out to me.

Maybe that's also related to that "incident" that was being tossed around earlier for why everyone decides to start being thieves in the first place.

FluxWaveZ

There's a particular playable song in P4D that does what I hoped a song in that game would do for a long time now. It's not story related, but it's a cool setpiece so it might be too much to write it out right now.

I dunno. Probably just narration that you have a bad feeling and should prepare for the coming days as a warning.

I feel like filling in any blank spots where there's a time skip with DLC would be a lot of hassle, you would need to add new dialogue to the main game to acknowledge it because if you don't it would feel entirely pointless and would be a weird bump in the story.

If P5 was to get story DLC with the same characters I feel like it has to be after the main game or it has to be something non canonical.

I feel like filling in any blank spots where there's a time skip with DLC would be a lot of hassle, you would need to add new dialogue to the main game to acknowledge it because if you don't it would feel entirely pointless and would be a weird bump in the story.

If P5 was to get story DLC with the same characters I feel like it has to be after the main game or it has to be something non canonical.

Fair enough. At this point I'm just coming up with worst-case scenarios.

Shouta

I've listened to this passage again. It's always hard to tell with corny chuunibyou lines delivered in a distorted demon voice, but I think the last two lines sound like this in Japanese:
己が信じた正義の為に。普く冒涜を顧みぬものよ。さあ、始めろ!
So in English, I think that would make it something along the lines of "For the sake of the justice you believed in. You who doesn't reflect on/repent the blasphemy that is everywhere - begin!"

Probably. I was listening to it quick and the distortion makes it hard to discern. lol

DNAbro

Just watched the "final boss" of P4DAN and it can be simultaneously the greatest and worst thing ever depending on your perspective.

I liked it lol

Just watched the "final boss" of P4DAN and it can be simultaneously the greatest and worst thing ever depending on your perspective.

I liked it lol

It's 100% the greatest thing ever. Just think about the fact that the whole P4 franchise has led up to this very moment.

I can't tell if you guys legitimately think it's great or not. Seeing as how it can either be the greatest thing ever or the worst, I bet I'm gonna fall on the negative side.

But I don't wanna click because my dumb little brain has an aversion to spoilers. Even if it's for something I'm probably not gonna care about.

Edit: ok Flux loves it, so it's probably not bad. still, no spoilers!

FluxWaveZ

Oh, guess people are talking about it here anyways, heh. Yeah, that song is pretty much what I wanted since the game was announced, so I love that they did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom