• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

PSX =/= E3. It's a different stage. I'm not saying Sony couldn't have done it, but I honestly think it was as much their decision to not have it in there as it was Atlus'. I think that if they wanted it, they would have gotten it.

Sony didn't even show Wild at E3, their own first party title they showed at PSX.

For Wild, well who knows how far that game is in development, while Persona 5 is a Sony exclusive slated to release in 2015 both in Japan and in North America. One of the only actual Sony exclusives shipping this year that they would have had on stage.

But yes, PSX is not the same as E3, and we can't really know what went on behind the scenes regarding the decision behind P5's omission there (even in the montage sequences).

muteki

What is region free like on PS4? Is it the exact same as PS3?

Not waiting an entire year to play this. Gonna import this.

Same as PS3. Only gotcha I have run into is if you have 2 account/regions on your PS4 and you remote play, you can only remote play to the same account as your vita.

Highwind

Same as PS3. Only gotcha I have run into is if you have 2 account/regions on your PS4 and you remote play, you can only remote play to the same account as your vita.

Hmm, I see. I mainly use the EU account for everything but if there is no DLC in this I won't bother with my American account.

Seems like there won't be an issue (yet). Thanks! ^_^

Lunar15

You know what they really should have done?

Included a playable PS3 demo. That can't be pirated easily AND it could be included for the English version of DAN.

I doubt they have a big enough team to develop a playable demo alongside regular development.

But yeah, that'd probably be the best of all solutions.

Don't get me wrong, this is all weird for me too. I want P5 to do as well as possible, and as someone who works in games advertising myself, I'm always looking for ways to market "smaller" titles that have the potential to leap out of their niche, particularly japanese ones.

FluxWaveZ

I don't think a playable demo would be a good idea at all. It's something that can kind of work for Final Fantasy XV, but for Persona 5? It's very iffy, especially since the game's actually coming out this year. It was a very good move for Catherine when they did that because of the type of game it is, though.

Lunar15

I am curious to the size of the team though. I wonder how many additional people they had to hire between now and Catherine.

I have a lot of questions about the development, honestly. Between it taking such a long time and the whole Index debacle, I'm curious about how consistently the title was in development and when development even truly started. We always had hints like, "Soejima has drawn up the rough ideas", and "Meguro is thinking about the type of music he'll use", but never anything real definitive.

I'm done with school now, and what a way to celebrate than a P5 trailer!

I don't even mind the repeated footage since we got a new music track which was stylish as hell.

That was Arsene speaking in the beginning right? It looks like your persona's are muxh more sinister this time around. Maube they're more shadow than persona.

The hero looks to slash his eyes out(!) to summon Arsene? Yeah I don't think they are super positive this time around.

All this talk about Atlus marketing (especially in regards to Persona) has got me wondering about something. Right now, the official JP Persona account has a Teddie avatar and even uses the same verbal tics as Teddie. Are they going to change that for P5? Seems obvious they would, but even then, when do you make the switch? Before or after release?

All this talk about Atlus marketing (especially in regards to Persona) has got me wondering about something. Right now, the official JP Persona account has a Teddie avatar and even uses the same verbal tics as Teddie. Are they going to change that for P5? Seems obvious they would, but even then, when do you make the switch? Before or after release?

I dunno, after sounds about right.

FluxWaveZ

I'm not sure they would change that, actually. Teddie as an icon is kind of beyond Persona 4 itself now, and he's more like a company mascot as a replacement to Jack Frost.

artsi

Morgana feels like a natural successor to Teddie as a PR mascot.

"PERSONA 5 OUT RIGHT MEOOOOWWW"

I've been thinking about the possible main cast, and I feel in addition to these high schoolers there could be some authority figure (a teacher or police officer maybe) involved who is driven to a crime spree with a group of juveniles, and would act as one conflicting theme.

I'm not sure they would change that, actually. Teddie as an icon is kind of beyond Persona 4 itself now, and he's more like a company mascot as a replacement to Jack Frost.

I see your point, Teddie has definitely expanded past P4 to some extent. It's just that even then, most of the stuff that's been put out by the company in recent years has been at least tangentially related to P4. It seems weird to have him talk about something totally unrelated, but then again, Atlus JP marketing department sure is "quirky."

Morgana feels like a natural successor to Teddie as a PR mascot.

"PERSONA 5 OUT RIGHT MEOOOOWWW"

Sounds plausible to me. I read in the other thread that Morgana has some verbal tics too (beyond just cat puns), so it fits in a sense.

artsi

Morgana's VA is almost definitely the voice actor who does Pikachu and Chopper from One Piece.

Could be, I thought Rie Kugimiya too but probably not. Her voice is so distorted it could be anyone.

I'm sure I've heard all the other VA's many times before, they're all familiar, but I'm horrible actually placing them to any series or games.

Hopeford

I just started P3P with the female protagonist(gf got it for me on a sale some time ago and uh basically forced me to play it) and I wasn't looking that forward to it because I wasn't a huge fan of P3 in general, but man. It's a huge improvement. Like I don't know if it's just me, but it makes a huge difference that the protagonist just seems a lot less...antisocial? Which is a weird thing to say about a silent protagonist I guess, but it's just what it feels like.

It always felt kinda odd that in a game about social links and stuff the P3 protagonist gave so few shits about Junpei and the male characters that he couldn't even social link with them. I don't know, juts kinda a nice addition. Plus it makes her being the leader just a lot more believable to me when everyone gets along with her. It's just a bunch of minor changes but I like the female protagonist a lot more, pity she isn't canon.

I just started P3P with the female protagonist(gf got it for me on a sale some time ago and uh basically forced me to play it) and I wasn't looking that forward to it because I wasn't a huge fan of P3 in general, but man. It's a huge improvement. Like I don't know if it's just me, but it makes a huge difference that the protagonist just seems a lot less...antisocial? Which is a weird thing to say about a silent protagonist I guess, but it's just what it feels like.

It always felt kinda odd that in a game about social links and stuff the P3 protagonist gave so few shits about Junpei and the male characters that he couldn't even social link with them. I don't know, juts kinda a nice addition. Plus it makes her being the leader just a lot more believable to me when everyone gets along with her. It's just a bunch of minor changes but I like the female protagonist a lot more, pity she isn't canon.

Love FemC. I too enjoyed P3P a lot more because of her. Try to finish her Hermit and Chariot social links too, they're some of my favorites.

Lunar15

Could be, I thought Rie Kugimiya too but probably not. Her voice is so distorted it could be anyone.

I'm sure I've heard all the other VA's many times before, they're all familiar, but I'm horrible actually placing them to any series or games.

It HAS to be Ikue Ōtani. I'd know chopper's cute but angry voice anywhere.

I kind of expect Jack Frost to be a mascot for regular SMT and Teddie to be the mascot for the Persona teams projects.

artsi

It HAS to be Ikue Ōtani. I'd know chopper's cute but angry voice anywhere.

Yeah it's her, I went to our Japanese comrades to check and they seem to agree on that.

No consensus on the others yet, but it's not like I have anything better to do so trying to find them out.

Setsu00

Morgana uses "wagahai" as a first person pronoun in combination with "da" instead of "desu", which is a rather conceated way of speaking.

Hopeford

Love FemC. I too enjoyed P3P a lot more because of her. Try to finish her Hermit and Chariot social links too, they're some of my favorites.

Will totally see those to the end, they seem pretty interesting so far! Also surprisingly pleased at the Junpei social link so far. He's been way less creepy and way more of a friend than I'd have expected from him, it's great.

Nachos

Morgana uses "wagahai" as a first person pronoun in combination with "da" instead of "desu", which is a rather conceated way of speaking.

Kiyoaki mentioned it might be a literary reference:
Wagahai is an old-fashioned and somewhat pompous word for "I". Here it's an allusion to Natsume Sôseki's literary classic Wagahai wa neko dearu (I Am a Cat).

I Am a Cat (Japanese: 吾輩は猫である Hepburn: Wagahai wa Neko de Aru?) is a satirical novel written in 1905–1906 by Natsume Sōseki, about Japanese society during the Meiji Period (1868–1912); particularly, the uneasy mix of Western culture and Japanese traditions, and the aping of Western customs.

Sōseki's original title, Wagahai wa neko de aru, uses very high-register phrasing more appropriate to a nobleman, conveying a grandiloquence and self-importance intended to sound ironic, since the speaker, an anthropomorphised domestic cat, is a house cat, not feral.
Wonder how you'd convey something like that? Literary references to cats in western literature, like Behemoth in Master and Margarita?

As much as I like Teddie, I hope Jack Frost comes back. He works as a better mascot not only because he's been with the company pretty much since the beginning, but because Jack has actually been in games outside of SMT and Persona. Teddie's only been in Persona, so I feel like making him the new mascot would be tantamount to Atlus saying that they're The Persona Company, with everything else as an afterthought.

artsi

Anyone know Ryuji's VA?

2ch was saying Kaito Ishikawa and Mamoru Miyano, but I'm 95% sure that Ryuji is Daisuke Ono.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQlcP433mh8

At 2:30 he ends the sentence じゃねーか (janai ka) like Ryuji does in the trailer, though not as deep / aggressive tone.
And after 9:11 he uses a voice tone more like Ryuji's.

Combine these two samples mentally and I think it matches the trailer's Ryuji.

Now when I checked again there was couple bets of Ono @ 2ch too.
I've never heard Ishikawa or Miyano use that kind of rough voice so I think those are wrong.

kiyoaki

Kiyoaki mentioned it might be a literary reference:

Wonder how you'd convey something like that? Literary references to cats in western literature, like Behemoth in Master and Margarita?
You could try something like that. I don't think the joke would work as well with a reference to someone like Bulgakov, since a) the game is set in Tokyo, as is Sôseki's novel, and b) just about every school child in Japan knows at least the book's title and easily gets the reference in the Japanese version (if you search for 吾輩 on Twitter, something like 50% of the posts are some kind of reference to the novel). While hardly every gamer in the West has read The Master and Margarita.

I can't think of any other cats in Western literature right now either, except for the Cheshire Cat.

Anyway, after all those years with Kuma I'm very much looking forward to a snarky, pompous cat.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Away from all the P5 talk, just wanted to make a post saying I'm a fucking idiot.

As far as I knew, the PSP version of Persona never came out in EU. I practically never look at the Playstation store, because I'm a luddite/sentimentalist who fears digital downloads and will always opt for physical copies of games. As there's a EU sale on right now around Japanese games, I put Persona in the search bar and lo-and-behold, I can download the fucking thing for £7.99.

I tried playing Innocent Sin a few times but never really got into it, and one of the reasons why is that the game very obviously calls back to the first game (recurring characters and all), about which I knew nothing. The plan now is to play Persona, and then to start P2 again, and to make a real effort to stick with it this time.

Hopefully at the end of this journey I too can constantly comment about how those games had the best cast, and complain that they are all but forgotten.

Lunar15

I imagine she'll call the MC "darling", if that's what they're going for.

That said, Otani's voice doesn't quite give me that feeling, unless they're going for a specifically and hilariously mismatched personality and voice.

Part of me thinks that Morgana might be someone else who was turned into a cat, and most likely wants revenge. That lines up with a picaresque setting to me.

artsi

Part of me thinks that Morgana might be someone else who was turned into a cat, and most likely wants revenge. That lines up with a picaresque setting to me.

Hold that thought and wait for the moment when the cat disappears and a hot, black haired woman jumps out from the smoke puff stark naked, ready to seduce all the males of the group.

"Yesss I'm fimeowlly freee"

Yes I'm afraid they're going to do a complete FemTeddie, lol.

Lunar15

Hold that thought and wait for the moment when the cat disappears and a hot, black haired woman jumps out from the smoke puff stark naked, ready to seduce all the males of the group.

Yes I'm afraid they're going to do a complete FemTeddie, lol.

I bet she provides them with their costumes. It would explain why Anne/Anzu's suit has a tail.

I like both P3MC and FeMC. If you've seen the P3 movies, it puts more focus on (Heavy P3 character progression spoilers)
P3MC's/ Makoto's apathetic nature and how his "PTSD" kept him from having any sort of motivation. He goes from not giving two shits, to carting about S.E.E.S. and seeing them as a tight-knit band of friends who are like family. You can even tell how he cares for Aigis in the movies

Although i did heavily project myself into the P3MC, so i do feel like i was placed in his shoes. And FeMC's personality through dialogue choices is much closer to mine, after I let P3's themes and what i learned from it rest in my mind for a while

artsi

I'm also afraid of this. Oh wait, did I say afraid? I meant excited!

Hehe, no I wouldn't mind that either, but I'd like to imagine the writers to have something more different up their sleeve.

I bet she provides them with their costumes. It would explain why Anne/Anzu's suit has a tail.

Maybe, I thought she was supposed to be a devil first, but after seeing the mask in the new trailer it's a cat after all.

http://i.imgur.com/vSy0SRZ.jpg

PK Gaming

I ALREADY TOLD YOU THAT IT WILL DO JEEZ

I WAS WORRIED OKAY

The female protagonist benefits from significantly better writing in her social links, a bunch of quality of life boosts, generally better relationships with her party members due to the changes in the slink system and the fact that she's a completely fresh new perspective (I get to play as a girlllllllllll? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?).

Either someone is good at Photoshop on my Twitter feed, or I'm going insane.

I'm seeing Tanaka masks as an accessory in P4DAN.......

Jika net Tanaka.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom