• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as a counter point, I like that in FES you can't social link with all of your teammates. It was an awesome addition for the female route in P3P, but considering their goal in the original male route was to have your teammates seem like coworkers rather than best friends, I like the fact that there's distance there.

This would be okay if they made it so every social link was with npc characters or the story/character interaction was written in a way where they didn't act like friends, but they are written like friends and half of the PC are social links IE all the females to be romance options. When half the party is a social link and the other half isn't in a game that "become friends with people to become more powerful" it's just very jarring.

This would be okay if they made it so every social link was with npc characters or the story/character interaction was written in a way where they didn't act like friends, but they are written like friends and half of the PC are social links IE all the females to be romance options. When half the party is a social link and the other half isn't in a game that "become friends with people to become more powerful" it's just very jarring.

Hmm, I disagree that SEES are written like friends. For the bulk of the story, I'd say their relations are cool at best, and downright antagonistic at worst. For example, Yukari sees Akihiko and especially Mitsuru as targets of suspicion more than anything for quite a long time. By the end, when they're more friendly with each other, I see that as signifying the growth of the Fool and Judgement links, not any individual routes. It's the whole group coming together, not the MC getting closer to each person individually.

I agree that there are a number of problems with the female social links in FES, like how the only option is romance. But, to me, these links are like a can of worms. Trying to address the issues with them causes a number of other problems to arise. I'm not calling them good per se, more appropriate to FES than anything.

For me, FES is a good example of lightning in a bottle. So many elements came together for me in a great way, that changing any of them might weaken the product as a whole. I think the series has evolved in a positive way since then, but applying any of these changes to FES retroactively (a la P3P) would take away what made FES special.

Dawg

Today was interesting.

First off: felt bad for Nanako so I took her with me to my friends. She seems to have enjoyed it and started calling me Big Bro! And then Yosuke said... this... :>

B8T-mhXIMAEs8er.jpg:large

I then met a new character, Kanji. Turns out he's voiced by Troy Baker. Woot. Seems like a cool guy too, but he seems to hide some sort of secret...

B8T-rM1IMAElSWa.jpg:large

Decided to spy on him as it seems like he's the next shadow victim. Using this opportunity for my own personal gain... I decided to make a team with Yukiko. While Chie and Yosuke are out of the picture, I can finally ask her something lewd...

B8T-yAeIYAAk2df.jpg:large

And it actually worked! But I messed up here and forgot to upload the picture so you can't see Yukiko blushing and accepting my request :(

On the other hand, I do have this...

B8T_CyeIEAAPRGL.jpg:large

...which was somewhat unexpected.

I then met the Fox and did some of his errands.

B8T_LhCIQAAyg6F.jpg:large

Also aced my midterms, ended up in the top 10 scoreboard and was rewarded by Dojima with mad dosh

B8T_XUJIIAAFief.jpg:large

To end the day, I started doing social links with this MILF which is both awkward and lewd

B8T_lNDIcAAkRAv.jpg:large

Thanks for tuning in to the story of Willem Inu.

Next up: will I be able to save Kanji and defeat his shadow?! :c

Hmm, I disagree that SEES are written like friends. For the bulk of the story, I'd say their relations are cool at best, and downright antagonistic at worst. For example, Yukari sees Akihiko and especially Mitsuru as targets of suspicion more than anything for quite a long time. By the end, when they're more friendly with each other, I see that as signifying the growth of the Fool and Judgement links, not any individual routes. It's the whole group coming together, not the MC getting closer to each person individually.

I agree that there are a number of problems with the female social links in FES, like how the only option is romance. But, to me, these links are like a can of worms. Trying to address the issues with them causes a number of other problems to arise. I'm not calling them good per se, more appropriate to FES than anything.

For me, FES is a good example of lightning in a bottle. So many elements came together for me in a great way, that changing any of them might weaken the product as a whole. I think the series has evolved in a positive way since then, but applying any of these changes to FES retroactively (a la P3P) would take away what made FES special.

I'm not specifically talking about how the SEES members treat each other you're right on the point with that, I'm talking more about how the SEES members interact with the P3 MC. I also agree about how SEES as a group is rather fragmented and untrusting of each other which is part of the games collective story, but my comments about social links with all party members are squarely focused on Makoto/P3MC and his relationship with the rest of the cast. It's very strange when you have scenes with Junpei and Akihiko like operation babe hunt and hot springs stealth where both are clearly good friends with the MC but you're not allowed to spend time with them after school and develop any kind of social link with them. It left me at the end of P3 FES as a first time player feeling like I was closer to random people in town then I was with my own party members who I was fighting to save the world.

Also it took me a week but I'm finally back to the void dungeon in P4G so from this point on everything will be completely new for me

I'm not specifically talking about how the SEES members treat each other you're right on the point with that, I'm talking more about how the SEES members interact with the P3 MC. I also agree about how SEES as a group is rather fragmented and untrusting of each other which is part of the games collective story, but my comments about social links with all party members are squarely focused on Makoto/P3MC and his relationship with the rest of the cast. It's very strange when you have scenes with Junpei and Akihiko like operation babe hunt and hot springs stealth where both are clearly good friends with the MC but you're not allowed to spend time with them after school and develop any kind of social link with them. It left me at the end of P3 FES as a first time player feeling like I was closer to random people in town then I was with my own party members who I was fighting to save the world.

Also it took me a week but I'm finally back to the void dungeon in P4G so from this point on everything will be completely new for me

Ah, I see what you're saying. You raise a good point, I guess I just never really saw it that way. Like, for your examples, I never thought Operation Babe Hunt or the hot springs sneak were unnaturally friendly. In both of those, Akihiko strikes me as being openly forced into participating by Junpei. Seems to me we just read the material differently.

Nap1400

Next up: will I be able to save Kanji and defeat his shadow?! :c

If you're playing vanilla Persona 4, good luck. Shadow Kanji is one of the tougher bosses in the game. I still maintain that the only boss I had more trouble with besides Shadow Kanji was
Kunino-Sagiri

Golden nerfs it by giving Shadow Kanji's flunkies elemental weaknesses, though, so if you have that version take advantage of it.

Sophia

If you're playing vanilla Persona 4, good luck. Shadow Kanji is one of the tougher bosses in the game. I still maintain that the only boss I had more trouble with besides Shadow Kanji was
Kunino-Sagiri

Golden nerfs it by giving Shadow Kanji's flunkies elemental weaknesses, though, so if you have that version take advantage of it.

All of his screenshots are in widescreen and the UI was redesigned for Persona 4 Golden, so yeah, he's playing Golden.

Oh man, that art....

Busaiku

Man, the Persona Q comic just didn't work.
I dunno, never saw the cartoon (for Persona 4), but I feel like these just don't work outside of games.

Jintor

Motherfucking Dojima gave you 2man for acing your school exams? That's, like... $200 for acing your... what month is this? ...like, half-terms for first semester, second year high school. Huh. Not too bad.

Motherfucking Dojima gave you 2man for acing your school exams? That's, like... $200 for acing your... what month is this? ...like, half-terms for first semester, second year high school. Huh. Not too bad.

Dojima may not be dad of the year, but he's way better than the deadbeats who didn't call Yu even once when the murder case was going on.

Jintor

Man when I finish my stay here I should probably run through P4G again and see what my inaka brain thinks of inaka virtual living

CorvoSol

THE ANSWER

Played the first hour, which is basically nothing in Persona terms. I kept wondering why everyone was being such an asshole compared to P4AU and then realized it's because
They've had less than a month to deal with losing the MC so they're all still sorta fucked up

Mitsuru needs to stop buying from that goddamn Sushi place because it goes bad every damn time.

Also Metis is so hilariously suspicious the game doesn't bother trying to hide how suspicious she is.

I mean, how does she get there if the Abyss doesn't connect anywhere? Where does Aigis get a little sister if she's the Last of Her Kind? How can Metis know so much about Aigis but nothing about the other SEES members?

I do think it's interesting that Igor told Aigis she has the same destiny as him. It's possible that there was some plan in store for Igor at some point in the franchise, but I don't really know.

PK Gaming

He's taking his clothes off and Naoto is confused as to why.

Naoto: Senpai what are you doing?
Yu: Taking off my clothes. What are you doing?

THE ANSWER

Played the first hour, which is basically nothing in Persona terms. I kept wondering why everyone was being such an asshole compared to P4AU and then realized it's because
They've had less than a month to deal with losing the MC so they're all still sorta fucked up

Mitsuru needs to stop buying from that goddamn Sushi place because it goes bad every damn time.

Also Metis is so hilariously suspicious the game doesn't bother trying to hide how suspicious she is.

I mean, how does she get there if the Abyss doesn't connect anywhere? Where does Aigis get a little sister if she's the Last of Her Kind? How can Metis know so much about Aigis but nothing about the other SEES members?

I do think it's interesting that Igor told Aigis she has the same destiny as him. It's possible that there was some plan in store for Igor at some point in the franchise, but I don't really know.

All you need to know about Metis is that she's a hardcore siscon.

So Persona 4 Golden to battles has added

Calvary attacks via the scooter which gives you more chances for bonus attacks after you knock something down

Dual attacks that happen randomly after an all out attack (Chie + Yukiko, JunpeiYosuke + Teddie, and I assume Kanji + Naoto)

Rise randomly taking part in all out attacks to boost the damage they do

Anything else I don't know about?

Meia

Calvary attacks via the scooter which gives you more chances for bonus attacks after you knock something down

Dual attacks that happen randomly after an all out attack (Chie + Yukiko, Junpei + Teddie, and I assume Kanji + Naoto)

Rise at a certain point in her social link will also appear in battle to do things based on what's currently happening. If a lot of people are low she'll do a low heal to everyone. If everyone's almost out of SP she'll restore everyone's SP a bit. If you're missing a certain buff she may cast one of the ma- spells on the group. She can also charge everyone up, which puts both Power and Mind Charge on everyone at once. In addition, I think at rank 10 she can bring the MC back to life once per battle.

Rise becomes vastly overpowered in other words. :p

Drop

Dual attacks that happen randomly after an all out attack (Chie + Yukiko, Junpei + Teddie, and I assume Kanji + Naoto)

Don't know if it's on purpose or a mistake, but I find it funny either way, it's also pretty close.
I played only vanilla, but looking online I didn't find any other changes to the actual battles, except for other things like, some shadows attributes and some spells costs are different, shuffle time is also different.

Rise at a certain point in her social link will also appear in battle to do things based on what's currently happening. If a lot of people are low she'll do a low heal to everyone. If everyone's almost out of SP she'll restore everyone's SP a bit. If you're missing a certain buff she may cast one of the ma- spells on the group. She can also charge everyone up, which puts both Power and Mind Charge on everyone at once. In addition, I think at rank 10 she can bring the MC back to life once per battle.

Rise becomes vastly overpowered in other words. :p

tM1PVId.gif

So what you're saying is I should start focusing on Rise's social links as a priority?

Seriously with P4G did Atlus decide "ehh the people who like these are more in it for waifu/dating sim and to have fun so lets make the SMT part as idiot proof as possible" ?

Don't know if it's on purpose or a mistake, but I find it funny either way, it's also pretty close.
I played only vanilla, but looking online I didn't find any other changes to the actual battles, except for other things like, some shadows attributes and some spells costs are different, shuffle time is also different.

DERP DERP DERP

Yeah I played Vanilla up to the void quest about 2 weeks ago and that game still felt like SMT: Persona 4, Persona 4 Golden has pretty much dropped any notion of this game being a difficult dungeon crawler.

Jintor

Honestly Rise not just gasping in horror or cheering is great. It's fun to see her interact more in battle.

I mean, sure, it overpowers the game part of the RPG crawling, but I'd argue the game part isn't particularly fun anyway so hey whatever

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
*Shrugs* Ever heard of placeholder dates? It can be subjected to change.

I'm just glad that DeSu2 will be finally coming out this year.

Welllll

May 5th is a Tuesday. For the record Best Buy and Gamestop also have the same dates.

But yeah, subject to change and all that.

PK Gaming

tM1PVId.gif

So what you're saying is I should start focusing on Rise's social links as a priority?

Seriously with P4G did Atlus decide "ehh the people who like these are more in it for waifu/dating sim and to have fun so lets make the SMT part as idiot proof as possible" ?

Check it: Even P4G at its easiest is still more challenging than P2:IS (which is borderline braindead) and most of P1.

Crazy, huh?

Check it: Even P4G at its easiest is still more challenging than P2:IS (which is borderline braindead) and most of P1.

Crazy, huh?

All of those games are in my back log on PSN along with SMT1 on my phone and several other SMT games on PSN. Gonna be a system shocking going to games even harder then P3 FES lol

Dawg

Kunino-Sagiri

I haz Golden!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom