• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Setsu00

Why not...? Sheesh. Don't worry. We all love Persona for multiple of reasons. Not just because of story and gameplay.

It's perfectly fine to have a favorite character, but I don't see the appeal of fetishizing fictional characters. I know most people usually joke about that, but it just creeps me out when I see someone talking about the sexiness of a certain character.

I also dislike how the waifu debates are used as an argument for common deriding of Persona as a dating simulator.

Why not...?

Because it is worthless conversation. Discussing your favourite character and why is great, but just going "lol X is hot and my waifu" is utterly worthless because inevitably all youre going to get is someone going "X waifu is trash, Y is best girl".

Nothing of value is said, and its not interesting to read about. Ive seen multiple persona threads on gaming side just deteriorate into waifu wars and all it does is ruin what could actually be good discussion, and usually it ends with someone saying "fuck off to the community thread for that shit" which gives the thread a bad rep.

Dont get me wrong, on occasion there's a laugh to be gained, but 99% of the time waifu talk is just a pointless argument that no one cares about. If you have a favourite character due to personality, why? If its due to design, why? But if all you can say is "shes hot and i like her" then why even bother saying anything?

/rant

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I care about waifus, come fite me irl!

I'll kick your butt
at Nintendo.

Funny thing is that his self insert was also in Persona 1 and was involved with Tamaki. Not sure why it became a big deal in Persona 2.

Didn't they have bigger roles in the game?

In one it seemed like they're just... there. Whereas in 2, you meet Tamaki in the rumor agency and there's the one part where they're literally cat burglars. (Or something along those lines)

Mediking

Believe me, waifu talk gets tedious fast if you're with one of the less-popular options.

It's perfectly fine to have a favorite character, but I don't see the appeal of fetishizing fictional characters. I know most people usually joke about that, but it just creeps me out when I see someone talking about the sexiness of a certain character.

I also dislike how the waifu debates are used as an argument for common deriding of Persona as a dating simulator.

It's always tedious, and there's been a lot of that in the Community Threads as of late.

Because it is worthless conversation. Discussing your favourite character and why is great, but just going "lol X is hot and my waifu" is utterly worthless because inevitably all youre going to get is someone going "X waifu is trash, Y is best girl".

Nothing of value is said, and its not interesting to read about. Ive seen multiple persona threads on gaming side just deteriorate into waifu wars and all it does is ruin what could actually be good discussion, and usually it ends with someone saying "fuck off to the community thread for that shit" which gives the thread a bad rep.

Dont get me wrong, on occasion there's a laugh to be gained, but 99% of the time waifu talk is just a pointless argument that no one cares about. If you have a favourite character due to personality, why? If its due to design, why? But if all you can say is "shes hot and i like her" then why even bother saying anything?

/rant

Don't get me wrong. I would never go overboard with talking about waifu. I could go full speech mode about how Yukari and Mitsuru are amazing but I never do. I know it's annoying as heck to see somebody drool like crazy over a fictional character but hey.... who am I to stop somebody from enjoying that character?

But you guys gotta admit.... waifu and husbandos are becoming a huge thing in games... just look at Mass Effect, Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy....and even Persona and the list runs on. HUGE part of Mass Effect's fanbase AND Fire Emblem's fanbase is in love with the relationship mechanics.

People have fetishes about fictional characters all the time. There's businesses that flourish on that stuff. Bayonetta-san, anyone?

I just said that I hope Anna isn't the only woman in the group but if she is... it's okay. I'm not gonna cry or yell or not buy the game.

But thanks for saying you guys don't like waifu talk.
Sadly
noted.

Sophia

I don't mind waifu talk to some degree, but it does have a tendency to derail conversations. Don't think that's happening here tho.

Shinjiro is my husbando~, a man who is strong, kind, and can cook!

I think a good rule for it is just don't be creepy and don't derail the conversation.

I don't mind waifu talk to some degree, but it does have a tendency to derail conversations. Don't think that's happening here tho.

Shinjiro is my husbando~, a man who is strong, kind, and can cook!

I think a good rule for it is just don't be creepy and don't derail the conversation.

He's like a fruit pie: unwelcoming and falling apart on the outside, sweet and
prone to leak red everywhere
on the inside.

Why do I do this... @_@

Sophia

He's like a fruit pie: unwelcoming and falling apart on the outside, sweet and
prone to leak red everywhere
on the inside.

Why do I do this... @_@

I am starting to think you are compelled to reply to everything I say. =P

Didn't they have bigger roles in the game?

In one it seemed like they're just... there. Whereas in 2, you meet Tamaki in the rumor agency and there's the one part where they're literally cat burglars. (Or something along those lines)

They had a decently sized role in Persona 1 too, being involved with a lot of school related events especially on the Snow Queen route.

Don't get me wrong. I would never go overboard with talking about waifu. I could go full speech mode about how Yukari and Mitsuru are amazing but I never do.

I wouldnt have a problem with that because it would be genuine character discussion rather than just 'waifu talk'.

But you guys gotta admit.... waifu and husbandos are becoming a huge thing in games... just look at Mass Effect, Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy....and even Persona and the list runs on. HUGE part of Mass Effect's fanbase AND Fire Emblem's fanbase is in love with the relationship mechanics.

Relationship mechanics are the shit, hell, i think I went on a while ago about how I want P5 to implement a system similar to how FF7 does its relationship system. The problem arises when as a result of these systems, people become dismissive of other characters because its not who they chose.

I just said that I hope Anna isn't the only woman in the group but if she is... it's okay. I'm not gonna cry or yell or not buy the game.

*Ann
Thats just me being pedantic :p

Makio

Patrick Seitz to voice everyone.

I wouldnt mind that actually

Who is gonna self-insert themselves now?!
Funny thing is that his self insert was also in Persona 1 and was involved with Tamaki. Not sure why it became a big deal in Persona 2.

Tamaki cameo in Caligula confirmed ... unless he has a new waifu now.

Why would you say that ....
*sees my own Avatar*
Oh....

Waifu talk makes for good banter until it devolves into "best girl" territory. Then you get the same tired fill in the blank arguments.

What really irks me is shipping. I haven't really seen it happen with regards to Persona, at least not here, but it's like the gloves come off when it comes to anime and such.

I wouldnt mind that actually

Oh boy, I can't wait for him to reprise his iconic role as that friendship-hating monster wreathed in flame:
Scorpion
!

Waifu talk makes for good banter until it devolves into "best girl" territory. Then you get the same tired fill in the blank arguments.

What really irks me is shipping. I haven't really seen it happen with regards to Persona, at least not here, but it's like the gloves come off when it comes to anime and such.

I like to think that I have ships instead of waifus. I guess the anime's problem is that it's both noncommittal and the viewer has no say in the matter. The game P3 suffers from this to an extent too.

It's the lowest, basest form of character discussion and tends to lead to petty arguments based on really bad characterization interpretations based on wishful thinking.

Mediking

I present... Chie Satonaka. She's pretty awesome. She loves eating meat and watching fighting movies. She has alotta depth. I swear its like her face changes every-time I look at her.

6fbb054717684fbfdeca37aead8f089a09bf426a_hq.gif

tumblr_mjhfj8YKpR1qfam62o1_500.gif

tumblr_lt3jhbOUEK1qafhe0o1_500.gif

giphy.gif

The+power+of+the+godhand+dragon+kick+your+ass+into_c9c57d_4788095.gif

Her time skip look is her best look though

It's the lowest, basest form of character discussion and tends to lead to petty arguments based on really bad characterization interpretations based on wishful thinking.

I dunno, I think there's far worse assumptions to be made about characters.

Just look at Naoto and what some assumed about her.

I like Rise's and Naoto's timeskip appearance

I think all the girls had great timeskip appearances.
Except for Yukiko. Kanji got the good one in her place.

Waifu talk usually devolves down to "i don't like your opinion here's a bunch of biased reasons why mine is better"

Sure, it's ok to have a favorite character, but it's sort-of impossible to have a discussion when all it is is gushing about a character you like unless someone else feels the same way, and most people have very diverse opinions on characters. I can say i like Aigis all i want and explain why, post gifs and pictures and such, but it's mostly irrelevant to the conversations that are currently going on.

Going "ohmygod this character is the best i love them and they are so perfect for X reasons" is sorta annoying. Best to bring up topics when they are needed, most of the time i ever talk about Aigis' arcs are when she's brought up in conversation, and even then i focus on the subject, such as my last few posts here talking about her significance to P3 since that discussion came up.

I present... Chie Satonaka. She's pretty awesome. She loves eating meat and watching fighting movies. She has alotta depth. I swear its like her face changes every-time I look at her.

I think its in one of the manga volumes, the artist says that her and yosuke are the most fun characters to draw since he's allowed pretty much free reign over their facial expressions. Allows for a much more emotive character.

carlsojo

Honestly, I can understand being sceptical about Summer 2016, but I think it's way too early to be worried about not hitting 2016 at all.

The fact that we haven't heard anything by now looks to me like we'll be waiting for E3 for news... which probably means Fall/Winter 2016 :/

*sighs*

FluxWaveZ

Interesting how this .gif's animation quality makes it seem like it would be consistent for the show itself.

The+power+of+the+godhand+dragon+kick+your+ass+into_c9c57d_4788095.gif

If there's ever a P4A anime, I'd want it to look like that animated by Madhouse or something, and not the cheap adaptations that video game animes tend to get.

Sophia

High quality animation would be pretty much mandatory for an Arena anime. Nobody wants another BlazBlue anime where the whole point is the fight scenes, and the fight scenes suck.

FluxWaveZ

Tried to compile a list of hints towards the 6th Persona 5 party member we have as of yet:

1. The Persona Twitter account:

2. The PV03 figure:

3. Possible PV03 dialog:

- Morgana: "Let's hurry!"
- ???: "Since we're here, let's take this big one here..."
- Yusuke: "Leave that for later."
- Ryuji: "What's going on?"
- Ann: "Just hurry up to the roof already!"
- Morgana: "Dangerous! This is dangerous!"

I've always heard "???" as being Ann, but some had claimed otherwise previously. It would also be weird for the first female voice to be talking as if she's taking things leisurely, and then it being the same person who's distressed and asking people to hurry moments later.

4. They've been pretty open about showing pretty much the entire opening of the game, but they've cut out a good 7-second chunk that we still haven't seen, and which occurs after all of the party members get their own stand-alone moments. It doesn't seem like anything's been cut during the street-skating closing sequence anymore now, though (compared to Yusuke who was obviously cut from PV01), so I dunno if the party member will be present there or event in the opening itself.

Just going by the opening, I wonder if 6 party members will be the total number in this game, or if they'll be keeping future ones closer to their chest than they did with Persona 4, instead of just putting all of them at the forefront like on the box art.

I'd say Persona 3 was a bit more secretive about it, but that 17-minute trailer the game was unveiled with showed every member except for Shinji.

Sophia

I've always heard "???" as being Ann, but some had claimed otherwise previously. It would also be weird for the first female voice to be talking as if she's taking things leisurely, and then it being the same person who's distressed and asking people to hurry moments later.

I don't think it's Ann; the texture of their voice is different.

I don't know how to put it into words, but like... they're a similar pitch, but the first voice is softer in it's delivery than Ann's voice.

Makio

That was it sold me she another character , like you say dont make sense to Ann to say two lines they are like the complete opposite (one "girl" wants to stay and steal more versus the other wants to get out as soon as possible).

Hell even some people in tumblr and others even say the mysterious ??? sounds like Rina Satou , have to trust the otakus... maybe but they sounds very similar (??? and ANN) basically the delivery and the line give away they are a different person (great way to hint "her" like they do with Yusuke in the pv01).

About the number of party members it seems we going to have a smaller party this time , i would say we get 7 party members this time .... 1 girl and 1 dude or 2 girls more.

Depending if we have a navigator or not ... (besides Morgana) i say we can beat the game just fine with 6 playable characters + navigator.

Zolo

Just going by the opening, I wonder if 6 party members will be the total number in this game

Actually, going by the character appearing by August, I'd say we definitely have one more to fill out the usual 7 playable characters. It's just a matter of if there's another one who'd fill out the the navigator role which at this point, we already know we don't have one for the beginning of the game.

Makio

In regards to a navigator,
there probably isn't one. We would have seen evidence of one by now.

I wouldnt be surprised and Persona 1 and Persona 2 works just fine without it.

But with trailers that edited to hide shit "because reasons" and putting the 3 trailers together how much of battle gameplay we have so far .... like 10 - 20 seconds besides the cool "All out Attack" scene .... i mean they even can put some big changes into the battle system and cant we even tell because we didnt see nothing yet.

(Im not see them making major changes tho)

Im not going to discard (the nav) that easily until we see at least a very good gameplay video.

cj_iwakura

I kind of miss the early PS2 Atlus USA, they brought us so many amazing quirky games. That was definitely Atlus USA's prime.

Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land's sequel is already as good as the original, wish it'd gotten localized.

Zolo

I wouldnt be surprised and Persona 1 and Persona 2 works just fine without it.

But with trailers that edited to hide shit "because reasons" and putting the 3 trailers together how much of battle gameplay we have so far .... like 10 - 20 seconds besides the cool "All out Attack" scene .... i mean they even put some big changes into the battle system and cant we even tell because we didnt see nothing yet.

(Im not see them making major changes tho)

Im not going to discard (the nav) that easily until we see at least a very good gameplay video.

The biggest indicator is that we know the first four mc's are playable, and we see them all in the planning room. If we had a navigator, they'd be in one of the multiple scenes they hang out like this:

Lusankya

Depending if we have a navigator or not ... (besides Morgana) i say we can beat the game just fine with 6 playable characters + navigator.

I wouldn't like that too much. Considering we'll have 4 active party members we couldn't even switch out the whole party. Not even if we always kept the MC as leader.

Dantis

Persona 5 is gorgeous as heck. Dear gawd. Might be the prettiest JRPG this gen.

Let's not go crazy now. Soejima's art direction hides a lot of the imperfections in pulled out shots like that, but P5 is still a last-gen as heck looking game.

I really, really, really wish they'd upped the character models when they moved to PS4.

TimmiT

Let's not go crazy now. Soejima's art direction hides a lot of the imperfections in pulled out shots like that, but P5 is still a last-gen as heck looking game.

I really, really, really wish they'd upped the character models when they moved to PS4.

A game doesn't have to be graphically impressive to look pretty. I think it's the nicest looking JRPG of this gen so far as well, it looks amazing even if its a bit restrained by the PS3's hardware.

A game doesn't have to be graphically impressive to look pretty. I think it's the nicest looking JRPG of this gen so far as well, it looks amazing even if its a bit restrained by the PS3's hardware.

Completely agree, for me it's always Style over Technical power. It's why games with pre-rendered backgrounds still look amazing even today, it might not be a technical masterpiece, but damn if it doesnt look pretty.

Dantis

Sure, and I agree that Persona 5 is a nice looking game, but it's all down to style, and is definitely lacking on a technical level.

It doesn't look noticeably better than Catherine, for example.

Sophia

Sure, and I agree that Persona 5 is a nice looking game, but it's all down to style, and is definitely lacking on a technical level.

It doesn't look noticeably better than Catherine, for example.

I'd actually say the cutscene footage from PV3 (that is, the PS4 version of Persona 5) looks better than Catherine.

While it's hard to tell in every scene due to the nature of the trailer, the character models are really impressive looking.

Many of the cutscene and gameplay environments are also significantly bigger in scope than anything Catherine did too.

Dantis

I'd actually say the cutscene footage from PV3 (that is, the PS4 version of Persona 5) looks better than Catherine.

While it's hard to tell in every scene due to the nature of the trailer, the character models are really impressive looking.

Many of the gameplay environments are also significantly bigger in scope than anything Catherine did too.

I agree about the environments, and I'm sure that, on the whole, it will look better than Catherine. I mean, it has to, right? There's a five year difference and better hardware.

On the other hand, I absolutely disagree on character models. They look... kinda crap up close. They're leagues above P4, which is nice, but they are not good.

Compare:

Vincent

Smiley-kun

Both the model and the texturing on the P5 shot don't look especially improved over Catherine.
On the other hand, for a 2011 game made on a tiny budget, Catherine is fucking gorgeous. Also, I think Catherine's style of texturing hair looks more like Soejima's art than P5's.

FluxWaveZ

I don't see how character models being on par with Catherine's prevents Persona 5 from being the best looking JRPG on the market in someone's eyes.

And I think they look great.

Sophia

Catherine is actually technically impressive, given the amount of little tricks all over the place they used to make it look so good.

Also is that from PV2, Dantis?

Dantis

Catherine is actually technically impressive, given the amount of little tricks all over the place they used to make it look so good.

Also is that from PV2, Dantis?

Yeah, I guess. I just Google'd Persona 5 protagonist.

It's the part after he rips off the guy's head I think.

Sophia

Yeah, I guess. I just Google'd Persona 5 protagonist.

It's the part after he rips off the guy's head I think.

Yeah, pretty sure the PV2 footage was PS3, which is definitely gonna look worse than Catherine. The models in PV3 are much better looking.

The one area where Catherine looks consistently better, in terms of character models, is in the eyes.

Related, but I just noticed that both Persona 5 and Catherine have some very stylized outlines around their characters. Soejima's art translates incredibly well to 3D.

Top Bottom