• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

So, I didn't commission this, but 84X just happened to draw 2 of my favourite characters, and it's that good, I thought I'd share it!

CgC6RShUEAAe4OI.jpg

Also,
Related, but I just noticed that both Persona 5 and Catherine have some very stylized outlines around their characters. Soejima's art translates incredibly well to 3D.

I absolutely LOVE heavy outlines on characters. I see it a lot in anime and it usually looks pretty good (like this), so it's nice to see that it translates to 3D as good as it does

Lunar15

I agree about the environments, and I'm sure that, on the whole, it will look better than Catherine. I mean, it has to, right? There's a five year difference and better hardware.

On the other hand, I absolutely disagree on character models. They look... kinda crap up close. They're leagues above P4, which is nice, but they are not good.

Compare:

Vincent

Smiley-kun

Both the model and the texturing on the P5 shot don't look especially improved over Catherine.
On the other hand, for a 2011 game made on a tiny budget, Catherine is fucking gorgeous. Also, I think Catherine's style of texturing hair looks more like Soejima's art than P5's.

While I've felt much the same way, P5 probably has a lot more going on than the one on one close up dialogue shots of Catherine.

They probably need these models to do a lot more, so they're a bit weaker as a result. That said, I was actually kind of shocked this game got even as close to Catherine as it did. I never expect much from Atlus in the graphics department.

Meia

In terms of looking at anything Persona 5 screenshot wise, do we even know what system the screenshots released so far have been pulled from? It's something I'm kind of curious about, with the game on two different systems, do we think they'll look identical?

FluxWaveZ

In terms of looking at anything Persona 5 screenshot wise, do we even know what system the screenshots released so far have been pulled from? It's something I'm kind of curious about, with the game on two different systems, do we think they'll look identical?

Everything pre-PV03 was confirmed to be on the PS3. PV03 was confirmed to be PS4, but we don't know about the screenshots/scans.

PV 1/2 were PS3, as were the screens released with PV1, and PV3 was PS4, with the screens presumably being the same.

Mediking

On Persona 5's website... there's a line that says P5 will take full advantage of current generation hardware... PS4. Still coming to PS3 (I guess) but should still be best on PS4.

Squire

Banned
On Persona 5's website... there's a line that says P5 will take full advantage of current generation hardware... PS4. Still coming to PS3 (I guess) but should still be best on PS4.

Resolutions probably higher on PS4, performance is probably a little better, too.

Makio

PV 1/2 were PS3, as were the screens released with PV1, and PV3 was PS4

I remember saying that to someone in other forum and i was called "bullshit".

Where or when they say that , so i can put in the other guys face.

And if that's true then P5 is going to look gorgeous for a PS3 game.

I remember saying that to someone in other forum and i was called "bullshit".

Where or when they say that , so i can put in the other guys face.

And if that's true then P5 is going to look gorgeous for a PS3 game.

It says at the bottom of the Japanese website that all the screens there are from the PS3 version. I think there was an interview that mentioned that PV3 was the first showing of the PS4 version, but I'd have to look for it to check that.

DNAbro

man if you would have told me in September that we would be half way through april with no formal release date in sight, I would laugh at you.

Makio

man if you would have told me in September that we would be half way through april with no formal release date in sight, I would laugh at you.

Fun fact the PV03 was posted exactly 7 months ago

I really i was expecting they going for a early summer release but it seems is going to be a late one (August).

Dantis

I compared PV03 and PV02 last night, and Sophia's right, there's a definite improvement to the visuals. Time to eat crow for Dantis, I think.

There's a definite improvement to the geometry (Most noticeable on Glasses-kun's collar), and to be honest, it just looks on the whole, pretty good. The shot of Anne, especially, looks really nice.

daevious

I compared PV03 and PV02 last night, and Sophia's right, there's a definite improvement to the visuals. Time to eat crow for Dantis, I think.

There's a definite improvement to the geometry (Most noticeable on Glasses-kun's collar), and to be honest, it just looks on the whole, pretty good. The shot of Anne, especially, looks really nice.

The shot where Ann's Persona summons fire from its hands treats each flame as an individual light source too.

The shot where Ann's Persona summons fire from its hands treats each flame as an individual light source too.

Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator is doing a similar thing, where "fireball" attacks act as their own light source, and Oh My Goodness everything about that game looks gorgeous.

I know it's a bit 'too anime' for some people, but could you imagine a persona game built around Guilty Gear's graphical style? It would look incredible!

Lusankya

Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator is doing a similar thing, where "fireball" attacks act as their own light source, and Oh My Goodness everything about that game looks gorgeous.

I know it's a bit 'too anime' for some people, but could you imagine a persona game built around Guilty Gear's graphical style? It would look incredible!

It it was still based on Soejima's artwork, then why not?

It it was still based on Soejima's artwork , then why not?

Yeah, that's what I mean, his artwork but using the GG engine/lighting/whatevermagictheyusetomakeitlookthatway, because in my opinion, the Xrd series is possibly the best looking set of games out there at the moment.

Sophia

Moments like this do not come often. Please allow me to bask in the moment to fulfill my egotistical obsessive compulsive know-it-all needs.

Jokes aside, the PS4 version of Persona 5 is going to be reeeallllly awesome looking. The small, little improvements across the board to visuals are refreshing, and I can't wait to see comparisons once the game is out.

Mediking

Its been over 7 months since PV03.

Just let that sink in.

I said it before and I'll say it again:

I don't really wanna see another new trailer because of spoilers. I understand that others wanna see new footage but I frankly don't. I'm sure you guys will get a new trailer... eventually.

I just want three things: Collector's Edition announcement, Persona avatars and themes, and Persona 3 FES on PSN for PS4.

Sophia

All I want to see is some proper battle footage + basic idea as to what we can expect in regards to managing Personas. If I get that, I don't care what else they show.

All I want to see is some proper battle footage + basic idea as to what we can expect in regards to managing Personas. If I get that, I don't care what else they show.

Couldnt agree more, Im not overly fussed about more story/character trailers, what I would like is a focus on gameplay elements.

Things like battle mechanics, persona fusion/management, social stat building, minigames, that cooperation thing we still dont know anything about!

Im going into withdrawal here Atlus! Give us something!

Dantis

???? 7+ years??? I know I'm not that new to the series so you mean... the original Persona 4 released 7 years ago?

Eight years ago in Japan.

It's worth pointing out that there aren't many people in this thread who've been waiting that long, however.

FluxWaveZ

???? 7+ years??? I know I'm not that new to the series so you mean... the original Persona 4 released 7 years ago?

Well, I'd say you're probably relatively new to the series, then. I'd say even I am, as someone who's been waiting that long since I finished P3FES and P4 in Q1 2009.

Mediking

Eight years ago in Japan.

It's worth pointing out that there aren't many people in this thread who've been waiting that long, however.

Ohhhhhhhhh....

Well, I'd say you're probably relatively new to the series, then. I'd say even I am, as someone who's been waiting that long since I finished P3FES and P4 in Q1 2009.

!!! Wow! Then I guess I really am new to Persona then. I fell in love with Persona 3 FES a year or two ago and I got Persona 4 Golden on my Vita a few months ago.

Sophia

Never thought the gap between Persona 4 and 5 would exceed the gap between Persona 2 and 3, but here we are....

At least we know something is coming now.

yuuki

And to our inevitable deaths.

I think P3 was about something like this.

Time never waits.
It delivers all equally to the same end.

You, who wish to play Persona 5,
whenever it may be...

You will wait for many years;
wait for it without falter,
with your hope as your guide... (to persona 5)

well that turned out better then i woudl have thought

FluxWaveZ

I figure, if not coinciding with a JP release, the second most likely time it drops would be not long before release with something of importance in it.

Never read into prospective release windows for the upcoming issue of Persona magazine. Oftentimes, they do not come through.

Top Bottom