• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Olengie

It pains me to see that Persona 5 was supposed come out next Tuesday before the delay.

Heartbreaker Edition indeed. </3

Please don't remind me, it's too painful. Now I have to spend my Valentine's Day with my gf like a fucking loser instead of getting funky with good ATLUS games.

Jeels

So what are the trophies for Persona 5 like? Worth doing, or best to ignore and just enjoy the game? I don't like trophies that require endless grinding or more than a playthrough or two. I REALLY don't like missable trophies. On those games I just turn trophies off.

So what are the trophies for Persona 5 like? Worth doing, or best to ignore and just enjoy the game? I don't like trophies that require endless grinding or more than a playthrough or two. I REALLY don't like missable trophies. On those games I just turn trophies off.

In case you're curious, there's a list of trophies (not counting the hidden ones) right here.

It says "spoilers", but the ones that describe plot points are probably the hidden trophies, since they're not shown.

Olengie

Seems easy enough. I didn't mind going for the platinum for P4 Golden.

Dantis

vlcs-haikyuu-00319.jpg
Am I the bird or the cat?

Jeels

Seems easy enough. I didn't mind going for the platinum for P4 Golden.

But P4G had missable trophies AND required multiple playthroughs. That doesn't seem easy enough for me. Easy enough is like FFXV's trophies, or Ratchet and Clank.

Unless you have a guide it is going to be pretty much impossible to get everything on your first playthrough.
Some of the trophies are easy to miss and require you to do some grinding.
If you don't plan to do multiple playthroughs then you should just turn trophies off for P5.

Mediking

Just approach the girl you wanna hang out with, spend like 9 days staring silently at her while she talks and shares her problems with you, answer a few questions, nod here and there and then hug her on the 10th day. Works every time.

Code:
[IMG]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/j-VW8itT9Pc/maxresdefault.jpg[/IMG]

Just approach the girl you wanna hang out with, spend like 9 days staring silently at her while she talks and shares her problems with you, answer a few questions, nod here and there and then hug her on the 10th day. Works every time.

Can confirm. Worked excellently for me.

DNAbro

The trash cans.
jk

Just make sure to never speak to her again afterwards except on holidays.

Okay I know this discussion has been done to death, but Jesus Christ. This looks like a photoshopped image, not an official product.
C4MtePwUYAAggL6

The text body looks extremely blocky, which is made worse by being aligned so far to the left, creating a lot of empty space. This is generally alleviated in the Japanese version by the rounded font as a way to prevent the boxy look that was unfortunately not avoided in the localization. There's also a lot of vertical thickness in the localization because they really crammed three lines of text into the text box, further contributing to the blockines, and generally making it look more busy on the left side. The Japanese version only uses two lines, creating much more open space around the text so that the lack of anything to the right of the text itself isn't jarring. The use of three lines in the localization is probably due to other restrictions, but wow it sure does suck.

And as for "Shujin Student heading home"
How to rotate text in ms paint

Okay I know this discussion has been done to death, but Jesus Christ. This looks like a photoshopped image, not an official product.
C4MtePwUYAAggL6

The text body looks extremely blocky, which is made worse by being aligned so far to the left, creating a lot of empty space. This is generally alleviated in the Japanese version by the rounded font as a way to prevent the boxy look that was unfortunately not avoided in the localization. There's also a lot of vertical thickness in the localization because they really crammed three lines of text into the text box, further contributing to the blockines, and generally making it look more busy on the left side. The Japanese version only uses two lines, creating much more open space around the text so that the lack of anything to the right of the text itself isn't jarring.

And as for "Shujin Student heading home"
How to rotate text in ms paint
That the text almost touches the box is driving me insane.

Still hyped for the game, but it is unfortunate that the English version loses a couple of style points. UI definitely looks off. Hopefully it'll be something we get used to. Also hoping it won't impact the scores.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
What I don't understand is the random off-angled highlighting of words in the description of the person....which just draws further attention to how off-setting the slant and font are.

Uh... Are they usually that specific with names?
I mean there were characters along the lines of "Girl with Umbrella" and such before, but this IS a bit more specific than that lol.

To be fair, if the highlighting (I'm guessing to replicate the look of a message spelled out from clippings) wasn't there, it'd probably just look bland.
I think the idea of it is much better than the execution. Iwai's name, for instance is actually difficult to read properly because of the way they made it look.

What I don't understand is the random off-angled highlighting of words in the description of the person....which just draws further attention to how off-setting the slant and font are.

To be fair, if the highlighting (I'm guessing to replicate the look of a message spelled out from clippings) wasn't there, it'd probably just look bland.

I mean there were characters along the lines of "Girl with Umbrella" and such before, but this IS a bit more specific than that lol.

Yeah, they've described attitude, appearance, affiliation, interest, but I don't think they've touched "status at this specific point".

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
If the chosen font worked well then I think the "clipping" aesthetic could have looked amazing

The other 'dumb' thing is that in having different shades of grey/black for the 'clipped' letters, it naturally draws your attention to the difference....which just then further serves to highlight the variation in the angle/off-centeredness of the text box dialog.

Not the end of the world by any means, but it's still just.....ugh.

The other 'dumb' thing is that in having different shades of grey/black for the 'clipped' letters, it naturally draws your attention to the difference....which just then further serves to highlight the variation in the angle/off-centeredness of the text box dialog.

Not the end of the world by any means, but it's still just.....ugh.

I've always wondered when (if ever) anyone actually felt that way about anything.
Cause honestly it just feels like damning it with faint praise.

Makio

Doing an all out attack to a demon in a toilet with "Will Power" in the background ... GOTY.

The font dont look that bad in motion , the little we can listen the dub sounds solid specially Ann

daevious

Doing an all out attack to a demon in a toilet with "Will Power" in the background ... GOTY.

The font dont look that bad in motion , the little we can listen the dub sounds solid specially Ann

I'll never get why Atlus USA goes with out of context voice-clips because they make the dub sound worse than it actually is.

Lusankya

Yeah, I love how "realistic" Ann sounds. It sounds like it's really close to Erika's normal speaking voice.

The wording in that footage is... curious. Curious indeed.

"It's been finally localized", they say.

Does that mean P5 has gone gold? HARDIN TELL MEEEEE

I'll never get why Atlus USA goes with out of context voice-clips because they make the dub sound worse than it actually is.

It was to match the JP trailers.
They even use the same bits of footage.
Though they didn't use Kaneshiro's line about teenage girls being useful in Makoto's trailer

Lunar15

Watching the video, it's really not that bad in motion. Do I wish it was a bit better? Sure, but they nailed a lot of the style in other parts. The onomatopoeia are great, as are some of the other menu details.

The only thing that's really bugging me are the descriptions of your "next tasks". Uncover Kamoshida's Abuses? It's not awful, but just on the fringe of awkwardness to make me go hmm.

This was always going to be a hard game to keep the style 1:1 across translation.

Makio

Like i say pages ago this happens too with Dancing all Night trailers , Rise got destroyed in her trailer but put in context she sounds way better than the trailers (despite is the same lines) Kanamin sounds weird too but her work in the game is decent.

My problem with this dub never was that kind of delivery , pretty sure they can nail it. Is just a feeling some VA or the type of voice / delivery they choose here would work better in other roles like example Lindbeck (Futaba) voice fits more Makoto and Leigh (Makoto) voice would work better in Futaba or the Twins....but thats me just being a nitpicker.

(Fists of JUSTICE tho...)

Yeah, I love how "realistic" Ann sounds. It sounds like it's really close to Erika's normal speaking voice.

Really like Ann delivery in her trailer , in the little we can hear here (thanks Gamespot hosts to talk over all her lines) she sound natural asf, even in the battle quotes in other trailers she sound great , dont be surprised if she ends up being my favorite performance in this game,

My problem with this dub never was that kind of delivery , pretty sure they can nail it. Is just a feeling some VA or the type of voice / delivery they choose here would work better in other roles like example Lindbeck (Futaba) voice fits more Makoto and Leigh (Makoto) voice would work better in Futaba or the Twins....but thats me just being a nitpicker.

(Fists of JUSTICE tho...)

I want nothing more for this to be proven not true.

Watched the first P3 movie and ended up falling in love with the cast all over again. General spoiler-a-roo for P3, I guess.

The movie covers until the
end of the boss fight after saving Fuuka from Tartarus.

The thing that affected me the most about this movie was how it made me see P3's story in a new light. Unlike P4, P3 is about people living immensely difficult lives. I'm pretty much their age (About 17 and a half, so I guess close to Mitsuru), which sheds a whole new perspective on the cast's struggles. Something about it is incredibly touching now, despite the fact that I live a sheltered, easy and carefree life. I feel like I'm witnessing and learning from a part of life I have not really lived so far. It's making me reflect on many things.

Another thing I really liked was that Makoto seems to have developed a personality. Minako didn't have much unique to her in P3P, I feel, but in the movie there's a decent amount of screentime devoted to Makoto. I also now feel like he fits better into P3's atmosphere and themes than Minako.

...Gotta play FES.

Makio

I want nothing more for this to be proven not true.

Me too man , i mean Makoto is my "waifu" for this game nothing i would love more than Cherami Leigh blow me away with her Makoto but i keeping my hopes low.

Erica Lindbeck is just great , the more i listen to her in SMT Apocalypse more i'm sure Futaba is gonna be a great contender versus Bailey's Rise as the best "navi" voice haha.

Top Bottom