• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

atlusprime

Atlus PR
I hope "You can still see Mara in all its veiny glory." goes down in the annals of video game history as the best quote ever provided by a PR person for a media inquiry.

Vic_Viper

Are there any Persona/SMT podcasts that delve into the games individually like Ultima Final Fantasy Podcast? Looking for something other than just the latest Persona news each week, and more of a focused review/retrospective on the games, especially the older titles like Persona 2, SMT 1-3, DDS.

SLinkFM used to, but then P5 kept getting delayed so they sort of became a general JRPG podcast.

There might be some interesting things in their archives, though (I know they recently did an interview with Hardin about P5 and other things)

Mediking

Are there any Persona/SMT podcasts that delve into the games individually like Ultima Final Fantasy Podcast? Looking for something other than just the latest Persona news each week, and more of a focused review/retrospective on the games, especially the older titles like Persona 2, SMT 1-3, DDS.

Not to boast about our community or something but unless you just want a audible Persona podcast.... we have super awesome discussions here. I've seen some awesome conversations about Persona 4 and Persona 3 here. Persona 1 and 2 aren't ignored here either. Playing through Persona 1 right now and got Persona 2 sitting on my Vita ready to go after I beat P1.

There really is people in here who are super knowing about the games and about who works on the game. It's actually kinda sad how I just know about Meguro and Soejima and that's pretty much it. Lol

I'll shut up....

Vic_Viper

Not to boast about our community or something but unless you just want a audible Persona podcast.... we have super awesome discussions here. I've seen some awesome conversations about Persona 4 and Persona 3 here. Persona 1 and 2 aren't ignored here either. Playing through Persona 1 right now and got Persona 2 sitting on my Vita ready to go after I beat P1.

There really is people in here who are super knowing about the games and about who works on the game. It's actually kinda sad how I just know about Meguro and Soejima and that's pretty much it. Lol

I'll shut up....

Yea it's just to listen to while at work. It can get pretty boring without something to listen too and I've gone through everything I already know of and was just looking for some new ideas. Thanks though!

Olengie

SLinkFM used to, but then P5 kept getting delayed so they sort of became a general JRPG podcast.

There might be some interesting things in their archives, though (I know they recently did an interview with Hardin about P5 and other things)

I'm waiting for more VA interviews. lol

Mediking

Yea it's just to listen to while at work. It can get pretty boring without something to listen too and I've gone through everything I already know of and was just looking for some new ideas. Thanks though!

Ohhhh! Hahah then nah... I don't really know a current Persona podcast like the one you are looking for....

But PersonaGAF could consider doing one.....

Code:
[IMG]https://68.media.tumblr.com/5b027b7f0a30a1d906c43dfff7fc621f/tumblr_no3wudBVjw1sd4mmco1_500.gif[/IMG]

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Ohhhh! Hahah then nah... I don't really know a current Persona podcast like the one you are looking for....

But PersonaGAF could consider doing one.....

Code:
[IMG]https://68.media.tumblr.com/5b027b7f0a30a1d906c43dfff7fc621f/tumblr_no3wudBVjw1sd4mmco1_500.gif[/IMG]

But aren't S.Link Pgaffers...Nvm.

Dantis

So does P5 run pretty solid on the PS4? I'm curious if the recent boost mode will have any effect on it
Runs fine. The only issue is some awkward load times when activating follow up attacks. It'd be great if Pro boosted that, but I doubt it.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Anyway, Mediking, you want a bloodthirsty yet charming female protagonist for P6, right?

How about a bounty hunter? a sexy one. So the usual suspects would complain. Hehehe

Mediking

Anyway, Mediking, you want a bloodthirsty yet charming female protagonist for P6, right?

How about a bounty hunter? a sexy one. So the usual suspects would complain. Hehehe

Hahahaha that sounds interesting. A female protagonist that was bloodthirsty in that she recognizes her new power and strength during her awakening. She feels like she can take on anything. Not cocky... but confident. Her friends and everybody would see that she's fearless... which would make the scenes where she's actually afraid super tense.

I have a really awesome idea for her Awakening but I would be slipping into fanfiction.... lol

Charming aspect comes in when you realize that she cares alot for her friends and what she believes in. And is quirky. Whenever she reads, she puts on glasses or something. Just cute stuff across the board.

One of the reasons why I want a female lead in Persona in some form so bad is because... I want more female leada in JRPGS in general and I wanna see a female lead in Persona get the same high quality treatment that Joker and Yu and Minato got.

I resonate with Minato strongly so the FemMC for Persona 3 Portable doesnt really do anything for me. Not a huge fan of her design either.

... welp. I rambled.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
So does P5 run pretty solid on the PS4? I'm curious if the recent boost mode will have any effect on it

I only ever encountered a single weird performance thing which is if you're in your own room and open the map it for some reason takes longer to load than everywhere else(like in other places it's pretty much instant, in your own room there is like this 0.5-1 second delay). Might be patched by now.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Bad fanfiction, would play

While we're at it, my idea is that she's a third-year student by day and a bounty hunter by night. she and her friends travel across the nation to stop rogue Persona users from destroying the world. Obviously, there's some God/Goddess/demon pulling the strings.

It'd be cool to hear/read some analyses on the themes and storytelling and whatnot.

daevious

Hahahaha that sounds interesting. A female protagonist that was bloodthirsty in that she recognizes her new power and strength during her awakening. She feels like she can take on anything. Not cocky... but confident. Her friends and everybody would see that she's fearless... which would make the scenes where she's actually afraid super tense.

Charming aspect comes in when you realize that she cares alot for her friends and what she believes in. And is quirky. Whenever she reads, she puts on glasses or something. Just cute stuff across the board.

Mediking, have you played Tales of Berseria yet? Because the lead in that game is basically what you're proposing here, albeit with more rage than what you've got in mind.

Nachos

I agree with what you're saying about a good localization lessening the culture shock, and that's a good point to make. I wasn't referring to the people who like anime and manga in general though, I was referring to the people who love Persona games specifically; for example, the ones who might not like most anime or manga but fell in love with P4G. A lot of Persona fans I know love the characters and interactions first and foremost, and stilted dialogue takes away from that. The messy UI takes away from the polish one might expect from the series too.

Oh, yeah, I did misunderstand you at first, sorry. Though the more I'm thinking about it, the more I'm wondering if anything I said really holds all that much weight. I'm so used to seeing hardcore fans of Japanese media being really vocal about their love for the series, to the point that they claim it's a game solely for weeaboos, but I have no clue how the demographics actually shake out. I think it was even Dantis who said that he doesn't have much affinity for anime and manga, which is why he prefers the grounded character building and was why he was so worried about the flashy phantom thief motif detracting from that. But even though Persona 4 Golden keeps getting LTTP threads from people saying they don't have much love for Japanese media, that's still in the context of a message board that already has a higher barrier to entry than most. I really have no clue.

But I don't know if how the UI is being treated this time is that different from how it's been in the past. I think that it's just because P5's UI goes for it a lot more and relies on Japanese-specific typography conventions that Atlus USA is stuck because they can't skate by with minor imperfections anymore.

Like, even though Persona 4's UI looks pretty good, it's not really doing anything that different from most game UIs. Almost all of the text is contained in traditional dialogue and name boxes which read left-to-right, and the Japanese typeface, Skip, already has a good English character set, so it was easy to keep for the English release. The biggest changes they had to do were the comic text used in the all-out attacks (which look good) and the calendar (not so much, but I don't think most people noticed).

latest

p4g_screens_adayinthelife_withmarie.jpg

It went from using a single typeface for everything to using different ones for each of the three time labels.

But this is really exclusive to Atlus USA. It's just that no game has really had as strong of a graphic design identity before, so I don't know if there'd be any localization company that would know what to do with it. Games have had problems with handling text things like singular/plural labels, making sure the ascenders and descenders in English text don't poke outside of the text boxes, and more for decades now. It's just never been a priority by anyone, and P5 happens to be a really blatant casualty.

Divine ears too strong.

Mediking

While we're at it, my idea is that she's a third-year student by day and a bounty hunter by night. she and her friends travel across the nation to stop rogue Persona users from destroying the world. Obviously, there's some God/Goddess/demon pulling the strings.

Wow. This sounds hype as heck. Day one.

Mediking, have you played Tales of Berseria yet? Because the lead in that game is basically what you're proposing here, albeit with more rage than what you've got in mind.

!!!! DAEVIOUS!!! It's great to see you!!! I feel like I haven't seen you in forever!

I played Tales of Berseria's demo on PSN and I think Velvet is pretty awesome. I really wanna play the full game but I'm juggling Gravity Rush 2 and Yakuza 0 at the moment. I will totally get it someday.

It's reassuring to hear that Velvet is kinda what I'm looking for. Lol

daevious

!!!! DAEVIOUS!!! It's great to see you!!! I feel like I haven't seen you in forever!

I played Tales of Berseria's demo on PSN and I think Velvet is pretty awesome. I really wanna play the full game but I'm juggling Gravity Rush 2 and Yakuza 0 at the moment. I will totally get it someday.

It's reassuring to hear that Velvet is kinda what I'm looking for. Lol

I've always been here, I'm just not one for talking much.

And yeah, Berseria's great because it manages to have a party full of "Edgy" characters without having them be either overbearing or overly self serious.
They're about as edgy as P3P Shinjiro, if that helps to form a picture of what I'm talking about.

Mediking

I've always been here, I'm just not one for talking much.

And yeah, Berseria's great because it manages to have a party full of "Edgy" characters without having them be either overbearing or overly self serious.
They're about as edgy as P3P Shinjiro, if that helps to form a picture of what I'm talking about.

Ah. I getcha!

Wow. I really gotta jump on Berseria... sounds refreshing.

Mediking

As a bonus, Magilou's English voice actress is also playing Futaba in P5 so you can get a sneak peek at how she'll sound like when it comes out.

Code:
[IMG]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-FgpshdZIdPQ/TzfQUsWtM6I/AAAAAAAAAuU/rhNfLt9mQ88/s1600/jack-nicholson-nodding.gif[/IMG]

Top Bottom