• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Setsu00

I'm fine with this, honestly. Persona's been a great series (and might even continue to be great), but Hashino needs to be free of the series to work on new things.

I'm going to follow Hashino and his new projects, but I honestly doubt that Re Fantasy will grab me to the same extent that Persona did. Nocturne, DDS and Catherine were great, but they all failed to connect to me on an emotional level.

I have no confidence in Wada as a director of a mainline game after his work on the spinoffs. Maybe it's time to leave Persona behind as well.

PK Gaming

Persona Stalker Club is scheduled to end in March.

Hashino is really leaving us, isn't he? ;-;

Look at this way

He saved SMT (Nocturne)
He saved Persona (P3, P4, P5)
And he's going to save RPGs

It's a win-win

Besides, i'm sure the current P-studio will able to deliver quality games

I'm going to follow Hashino and his new projects, but I honestly doubt that Re Fantasy will grab me to the same extent that Persona did. Nocturne, DDS and Catherine were great, but they all failed to connect to me on an emotional level.

I have no confidence in Wada as a director of a mainline game after his work on the spinoffs. Maybe it's time to leave Persona behind as well.

Wada was an integral part of Persona 4 and his directorial work on fighting and dance spinoffs have no bearing on his skills at making RPGs.

Considering Wada only directed the Arena games, how about Daisuke Kanada (PQ)?

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member

This is precisely how I feel. I think Hashino worked far better with Persona than any of the other titles he worked on, and while I'm sure I'll enjoy whatever Re Fantasy ends up being, I don't think it'll have quite as much impact on me. It is just starting to hit me now that Persona is now in Wada's hands, and I really don't have any faith in the series' future like that. I don't expect a mainline Persona for a while though, and I would've expected a bunch of lackluster spinoffs to follow P5 regardless of whether Hashino stayed on board with the series or not.

barybll

Banned
I have no faith in wada at all and I am not thrilled for persona 6
Actually I dread what the series will become from now on

Makio

P5 fighting game,
HD remake of Persona 1,
All new Persona 6,
HD remakes of Persona 2,
P3 Dancing game, ,
P5 Dancing game

First of all is great how even Atlus knows they give enough love to Persona 4 already.
The bold are the ones i would love to play in the near future.

For the remakes of P1 and P2 they dont even need to use P5 engine , i know people will be happy even with the Golden engine but something that made the game more "fair" and playable specially P1.

I love persona music , Dancing All Night easily became one of my favorite games in the series , a game where the music is the main protagonist is always welcome.

a next Fighting game and Persona 6 are a given , is just a matter of time to see where they announced it.

PD: Just hope the P5 scenario is to add some stuff / events like the P5 version of Marie and not try to feed us Goro to the death just he became "popular" in the last voting and tumblr in general.

Setsu00

Wada was an integral part of Persona 4 and his directorial work on fighting and dance spinoffs have no bearing on his skills at making RPGs.

It's probably not a coincidence that the games directed by Wada have a significantly different tone than their base games. Wada is a fantastic game designer and I have no doubt that the games he will produce are at least mechanically sound, but all of his games are littered with bad writing and contrived happenings.

The only reason why I'm not completely devoid of any hope for the future of this series is that these were spinoff games which means he had to work with already established characters. Maybe he's better when he has free reign to do what he wants in a new mainline game.

Mediking

Interesting question from Atlus Japan's survey asking which Persona related games people would be interested in:

Online game,
Board game,
P5 fighting game,
HD remake of Persona 1,
All new Persona 6,
HD remakes of Persona 2,
P3 Dancing game,
HD remake of P3,
PQ sequel,
Added scenario to Persona 5,
Persona series based shooting game,
P5 Dancing game

Don't they know their fanbase? Don't they know our tastes?

Unless they need time to figure out what they wanna do for Persona 6.... Persona 6 IS the answer. I would cry a mountain for Persona 3 HD but Persona 6 gotta come first. We need a female Persona lead that pushes barriers.

PK Gaming

It's probably not a coincidence that the games directed by Wada have a significantly different tone than their base games. Wada is a fantastic game designer and I have no doubt that the games he will produce are at least mechanically sound, but all of his games are littered with bad writing and contrived happenings.

The only reason why I'm not completely devoid of any hope for the future of this series is that these were spinoff games which means he had to work with already established characters. Maybe he's better when he has free reign to do what he wants in a new mainline game.

Until I see him direct a mainline game with garbage writing, i'm inclined to give him a chance. As you've said, having to work with pre-established characters and multiple writers (Ultimax had too many) was a recipe for disaster. It's not like the rest of the team has left either; all of the scenario writers and originally writers are still on board.

Until I see him direct a mainline game with garbage writing, i'm inclined to give him a chance. As you've said, having to work with pre-established characters and multiple writers (Ultimax had too many) was a recipe for disaster. It's not like the rest of the team has left either; all of the scenario writers and originally writers are still on board.

Hell, maybe have him write the story for any game that's more than a glorified update.
I mean, Arena had problems, but I certainly liked it. Ultimax I feel was rushed, on top of its other issues.

Setsu00

Well, uh, actually they left together with Hashino for Studio Zero. Yuichiro Tanaka and Azusa Kido are now with Studio Zero. The Persona A team is now apparently Studio Zero, while the Persona B team is most likely still working on Persona.

PK Gaming

Well, uh, actually they left together with Hashino for Studio Zero. Yuichiro Tanaka and Azusa Kido are now with Studio Zero. The Persona A team is now apparently Studio Zero, while the Persona B team is most likely still working on Persona.

That's only a handful of people either way. There are a ton of people back at P-studio who worked on the mainline Persona games, and i'm sure they'll able to hold down the fort when Hashino's crew comes back (if ever).

Dantis

Nope! The two lead writers moved. So did Meguro and so did Soejima.

I'm going to keep an eye on the series, but I will be very, very surprised if quality doesn't go down.

MSMrRound

It's the 4th of February here.

C3wqSD0VMAAUrJ2.jpg

Two more months~

(I wonder if AtlusUSA are the type to announce that a game had gone "gold" [just to assure fans that there wouldn't be any more delays], can't really recall them doing that before)

I wonder if "HD remake" would be an actual HD remake or if it would just be, like "it's a port of the same game but we ran all the sprite through a blurring filter so now it's HD :D"

Makio

Nope! The two lead writers moved. So did Meguro and so did Soejima..

Really they too , i thought they gonna work in Project Re Fantasy but continue his work in the series.

I love both to death, but at least in those roles im not fear too much as Hashino "succesor".
I mean i dont mind to see Persona 6 with the artstyle of Masayuki Doi which got a similar style to Soejima so the change dont be that big.

And the music i trust Kitajoh or Konishi can handle a game OST without Meguro... specially when deep down i prefer Persona Q (PErsona Q Spoilers >) The Infinite over what Meguro made for the Persona 5 final boss.

Despite the last time they left those guys "alone" we get the hit or miss Persona Arena themes.

Dantis

My assumption would be that Meguro and Soejima would take the same roles they've taken in all non-Hashino games.
Meguro did half the Arena OST, none of Ultimax, one track for PQ and one semi-new arrangement for P4D.
Soejima did new portrait art and most of the new characters, and that's it.

Mediking

Now I know what FluxWaveZ meant a long time ago when I said I wanted P3 Definitive on PS4.

Best to want a new installment so they can focus all their attention on and love.

Unless... Atlus finds the Japanese equivalent of Tantalus or Bluepoint Games to work on it.

Sophia

Did I miss something regarding Hashino, Meguro, and Soejima? Or is this talk just because they're just working on a non-Persona game?

Setsu00

Did I miss something regarding Hashino, Meguro, and Soejima? Or is this talk just because they're just working on a non-Persona game?

Maybe? Here's a little recap:
- Hashino founded Studio Zero and took away most of Persona's key staff
- Soejima left P-Studio and joined the newly founded Atlus Artwork Team
- PSC to end in March which was produced by Hashino
- Hashino happily blogs about his new studio and listening to Zelda soundtracks
- Atlus PR stressed that Soejima and Meguro will continue to contribute to Persona while Hashino was left out entirely
- Wada will announce a new game soon

So essentially it's not because they are not working on Persona right now, but because everything indicates to me that P6 will be headed by different staff with a dubious track record.

There hasn't really been any indication that P6 will be headed by anyone in the near future. If you take the survey to mean that they're not currently working on it, although that isn't in any way a given.

I'd be shocked if Wada's mystery game is P6 at least.

There were some pics of Studio Zero's studio earlier too:

Sophia

- Atlus PR stressed that Soejima and Meguro will continue to contribute to Persona while Hashino was left out entirely

So essentially it's not because they are not working on Persona right now, but because everything indicates that P6 will be headed by different staff with a dubious track record.

Nothing in what you just said indicates this at all. It is your own conjecture. It could easily just be more Persona spinoffs, or enhanced versions of Persona 5 too.

There hasn't really been any indication that P6 will be headed by anyone in the near future. If you take the survey to mean that they're not currently working on it, although that isn't in any way a given.

I'd be shocked if Wada's mystery game is P6 at least.

Exactly.

The vain and impossible stuff I want is just a P2 duology with a better release on Vita, and a definitive P3... for Vita. Well, those and a PC port of P5.

Speaking realistically, though, I'd wish for P6 the most.

Sophia

Honestly, all it says to me is that Hashino wants to do something else + they're winding down after Persona 5's long development. It's possible we might get Persona 6 sometime soon, but there's no indication of anything right now.

And even if Kazuhisa Wada is handling anything new Persona related, it remains to be seen what it'll be like. He's been a part of the Persona franchise since Persona 3, so it's not like he's gonna take what Hashino and his team did and throw it all away. Gotta be more optimistic then that.

(I would love a full on Persona 1 remake.)

Expressed a ton of interest in a P1/P2IS/EP HD remake. Would be really awesome, especially since those games aren't the easiest to access in the states with a lot of people missing out on some really great games.

EDIT: Oh man, super bummed about Hashino's departure with the series but don't blame him. Some felt the series took a dip from Tadashi's hands to Hashino's, but I feel both of them did a fantastic job handling the stories and characters. I think ATLUS has smoe other capable minds over there, so I have hope it will continue to be great. I wouldn't mind if they focused on making HD remakes for a few years to get a new team acquainted with the series. P5 really seems to be Hashino's current Magnum Opus and a fitting swan song for the Persona series and him.

Mediking

So essentially it's not because they are not working on Persona right now, but because everything indicates to me that P6 will be headed by different staff with a dubious track record.

Sounds like they just wanna do something new and not be confined to Persona. I don't blame them. Get ready for a Kingdom Hearts esque thing like Nomura did... maybe?

Eolz

I wonder if "HD remake" would be an actual HD remake or if it would just be, like "it's a port of the same game but we ran all the sprite through a blurring filter so now it's HD :D"

Depends on the games. P1/2 would likely be from the ground up, whereas 3/4 would just have UI improvements.

Dantis

Seemed like the conversation had a lot of subtle doom and gloom due to Hashino starting a new team.

Or in your case, not so subtle. :p
Kind of, but I'd argue that my post was barely speculation. Hashino is gone, and my assumptions on Meguro and Soejima's contributions are probably really bloody accurate.

Wada is capable of making a good game, but him and his team have some seriously large boots to fill if they end up leading on Persona 6.

And obviously the next priority will be spinoff games, but I think the concern is that the stories and writing and whatnot will maintain the low, low standards that has been set prior.

I did say that the gameplay will be good though, and I do believe it.

DNAbro

I want a SMT gacha game where the in-game demon summoning program is a gacha game that the protagonist downloaded.

Also Persona 6.

Top Bottom