• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Mediking

Well actually there is. But it's usually Persona 1/2 fans vs Persona 3/4 fans. =P

Lol true... but I hardly see hardcore Persona 1 and 2 puristis that insist the series is dead and is an embarrassment. I got Persona 1 and 2 on my Vita. I just see P3 and P4 has an evolution of the series in a very positive and promising direction.

There's also the Persona x SMT split (which generally overlaps with P1/2 fans), so it's not like we don't have our own family matters. :p
And then there are those who think even SMT is getting "too anime" now.

SMT has always been "anime". Anything involving summoning demons is almost automatically "anime".

Man, I hate that negative connotation that's been tied to "anime" from some people. I could go in a full blown rant here but I won't. Lol

Sophia

Kaneko's older art style was very anime-ish. The SNES version of the SMT protagonist looks straight out of a late 80s sci-fi anime.

StereoVsn

Kaneko's older art style was very anime-ish. The SNES version of the SMT protagonist looks straight out of a late 80s sci-fi anime.

I think people don't associate that older 80s anime style from Macross, Battleship Yamato, etc... as much with anime, which is kind of strange in itself. Although, Kaneko's art style is damn good and better then some of the other Atlus artists.

Well actually there is. But it's usually Persona 1/2 fans vs Persona 3/4 fans. =P

I couldn't summon enough drive to get through P1 either on PS1 or PSP versions. That game did not age well, and I got through SMT1 on my iPad just fine, love Soul Hackers and all kinds of other older Atlus games (Strange Journey can go jump off a cliff after about 2/3 of the game).

P2 duology is damn good from storytelling/characters perspective, but again, gameplay has issues, although not nearly to an extent of the first Persona game. A remake of P2 combing both parts and updating combat would be most welcome alongside with P3 Platinum. Neither is going to happen of course.

Edit: Separately, I bit the bullet and put the P5 PSN order in alongside my P5 SE. The latter is going to just stay sealed alongside my other Persona/SMT stuff.

Sophia

I think people don't associate that older 80s anime style from Macross, Battleship Yamato, etc... as much with anime, which is kind of strange in itself. Although, Kaneko's art style is damn good and better then some of the other Atlus artists.

Well yeah. It's about 30 years out of date now, and styles have changed. :)

But the point is, Megami Tensei has always been anime. Just now it's 2010-ish era anime instead of 1990 era anime. There's nothing wrong for having a preference for one style over the other tho.

StereoVsn

But the point is, Megami Tensei has always been anime. Just now it's 2010-ish era anime instead of 1990 era anime. There's nothing wrong for having a preference for one style over the other tho.

Yes, that's exactly the point, its all still anime, just different eras. It's like people complaining that Falcom's Trails games are too anime now. They have always been anime styled just changed over the years with changing styles of animation.

daevious

Most of those people who do complain seem to be those who probably watched Toonami/Adult Swim syndicated anime when they were kids and hate how different it became.

Not to say that's the case for all of them, but I wouldn't be shocked if it was true for a sizable portion of them.

Lynx_7

I think it's pretty obvious that when someone complains about "anime" they're specifically talking about waifu/moe/otaku culture and all the common tropes associated with that movement. It's aimed more at the wave of 2010s anime that emphasize cute females (waifus), power of friendship, wish fullfilment, harems, idol culture, fanservice/ecchi, etc. They're clearly not thinking of Fist of the North Star or Cowboy Bebop. Well, most of them aren't anyway.

While I think some concerns are overblown, it would greatly bother me if SMT V followed the same tone as Apocalypse. I didn't mind it for a one-off iterative sequel, but it really isn't a direction I'd be happy with for the franchise's future as it clashes with what SMT has been about since its inception. I don't think it will, though.

Man, I hate that negative connotation that's been tied to "anime" from some people. I could go in a full blown rant here but I won't. Lol

What bothers me is how this stigma has been applied to most japanese products, period. It's common to see this prejudice even here on GAF where most japanese games without a westernized look are often looked down as "weeb" things.

Mediking

What bothers me is how this stigma has been applied to most japanese products, period. It's common to see this prejudice even here on GAF where most japanese games without a westernized look are often looked down as "weeb" things.

Those people are closed minded as hell.

asagami_

Banned

Me only complaint about P3&4 is the random shadows are our typical enemies and they, well, are plain and NOT talk. I'm so happy see demons again in a Persona game.

Shadows desguised as demons. But it's a nice touch, some Megaten lore say demons born from human desires.

ErzaScarlet77

Neo Member
Whos the best melee fighter end game? i havent gotten makoto yet, but ryuji and yusuke is sooo similar, i might drop one of them since i must have makoto on my crew

ErzaScarlet77

Neo Member
ah, i had a feeling it'd be ryuji too. i guess its MC,ryuji,makoto, and somone else.

my mc is healer,so maybe i should get a mage? anne is kinda weak. is haru/goro a mage?

Gestahl

Haru is
Guns, Psy, and heavy utility. She gets an all status ailment heal, the reflect spells, and heat riser at the very end of the game.

Ann
does fire real good and that's about it. She gets a lot of skills relating to status effects despite only ever having mediocre ones, single heal, and dekaja and tarunda. Probably the least versatile character in the game. Goro is Naoto 2.0.

Maybe you should wait until you know what each character actually does before setting your heart on a specific setup.

*gameplay*
I'm pretty sure that might legit be the worst party composition in the game lol

*more gameplay*
Luckily you can use everyone in any one battle eventually so it's not much of an issue.

Well I don't choose the characters who are strongest. I choose the characters that I feel comfortable with. Same goes with Personas. I choose those that look the best.

Lunar15

Tuesday is my busiest day. I don't get home until around 9:30. I'll only get to play about an hour or so... which going by what I know about this prologue, probably isn't enough lol.

Makio

Watched the first boss fight in english yesterday (yeah i know) despite the weird last names pronunciation (Sakamoto / Takamaki) the dub is good as P3 & P4.

Dont need to worry about in that department at least in my opinion.

Plus put in motion the font actually looks good , dont bother at all.

Watched the first boss fight in english yesterday (yeah i know) despite the weird last names pronunciation (Sakamoto / Takamaki) the dub is good as P3 & P4.

Good to hear, one more week and we are finally there.

I'm pretty sure we watched the same video, and I agree wth this entire statement.

Lunar15

Main VA I'm waiting to hear about is Futaba, just because it's so important to have a non-grating navigator.

Her intro video sounded perfect though, so I'm not too worried about it.

Makio

Main VA I'm waiting to hear about is Futaba, just because it's so important to have a non-grating navigator. .

You can hear her in the
game prologue
she sounds fine as her trailer make it look (and even younger which helps her character design), dont listen too much lines but im sold from her rn.

I need to listen to Cherami Leigh (Makoto) , but seeing how everyone sounds 5 times better than the trailers (special props to Ryuji) , im hopeful.

The streamer im watching is in the part Yusuke is introduced and not surprise Matt Mercer kill it too.

You can hear her in the
game prologue
she sounds fine as her trailer make it look (and even younger which helps her character design), dont listen too much lines but im sold from her rn.

That's good to hear, since that was my one concern with her.

I need to listen to Cherami Leigh (Makoto) , but seeing how everyone sounds 5 times better than the trailers (special props to Ryuji) , im hopeful.

I've got my worries, but she'll probably do fine.

The streamer im watching is in the part Yusuke is introduced and not surprise Matt Mercer kill it too.

No surprise. :p

Lunar15

I thought Ryuji sounded great in the trailers. Might have been my favorite voice revealed. I wasn't sure what everyone was complaining about with him.

I have my fingers crossed that Cherami Leigh plays Makoto as well as she played A2 in NieR: Automata. (Though "FISTS OF JUSTICE" was absolutely horrible.)

I'll likely be playing in Japanese though due to the name mispronunciations. (Assuming everything important is subtitled.)

Makio

Seeing how fast they play and upload videos to youtube , pretty sure i gonna had my wish to listen Leigh / Makoto dub more by tomorrow.

Now i think about it , i skip a lot of scenes and dont see any with Sae... i will be right back and see her voice acting since i was curious for a while.

Persona Car!

C78alvRV4AA5yUk.jpg

C78alvRV4AEcAU8.jpg

C78alvTVQAEGeAG.jpg

Lusankya

Main VA I'm waiting to hear about is Futaba, just because it's so important to have a non-grating navigator.

Her intro video sounded perfect though, so I'm not too worried about it.

Erica Lindbeck is just awesome, I am so looking forward to her performance.

ErzaScarlet77

Neo Member
question.
am i greatly shortening the game by following a day to day walkthrough?

i mean the guide doesnt spoil the story or whatever, just say "at night, go to the bath" or " hang out with ryuji after school"

wouldnt i kinda achieve the same thing without the guide but just padded few hours total for checking which confidant is up at what place/which store is having a sale?
should i save the guide for 2nd run?

Makio

Talking to a dude he say the same... mostly. (feels like dudes who propose to japanese seiyuu i guess hahaha)
She is a very good looking lady i had to admit tho.

Erika too , i hit that

"Who the hell is that guy on the far right?"

"...Oh, that's Robbie Daymond? The glasses and haircut threw me off. Still wearing hats, though."

DNAbro

question.
am i greatly shortening the game by following a day to day walkthrough?

i mean the guide doesnt spoil the story or whatever, just say "at night, go to the bath" or " hang out with ryuji after school"

wouldnt i kinda achieve the same thing without the guide but just padded few hours total for checking which confidant is up at what place/which store is having a sale?
should i save the guide for 2nd run?

Not really shortening it. You just making sure you will most likely see everything. Though I think playing with a guide is the worst way to play. I'm not sure why you would want to remove the freedom from the game and constrict yourself.

Setsu00

Talking to a dude he say the same... mostly. (feels like dudes who propose to japanese seiyuu i guess hahaha)
She is a very good looking lady i had to admit tho.

Erika too , i hit that

Please, don't write stuff like this. It's creepy and embarassing.

Hah, I had no idea Matt Mercer was doing a voice in the game. I started watching Critical Role recently so it's weird to see him outside of that.

I've been thinking about getting into VA, but the amount of weird people they have to deal with. Especially if you're a woman doing VA.

Top Bottom