• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

OrionX

ONE. MORE. WEEK.

source.gif

Dantis

For those who heard Persona 5's credit song, where do you rank it among the other two. Personally it's my favorite one. P5>P3>P4. They're all great though.
4 and 3 are equal for me. 5's is really boring.
Maybe it'll mean more to me when I play it in English, but I doubt it.

There are a few really standout tracks (Blooming Villain and a few of the dungeon tracks are Meguro at his best), but I feel like a lot of it is just, well, there.

MSMrRound

I'm also personally quite partial to "Will Power" as one of my favourite tracks from the P5 OST.

Oh boy, when those guitar rift kicks in and the game screen do the transition....pure goodness.

Edit:

Never change John, never change.

A bit of both, I guess? Our opinions lined up a good bit on NieR: Automata.

Not that this is a thing someone should bet on, but I bet that she's talking about the romance options in that tweet. It'll be interesting to see in the final review.

I'm actually pretty interested to see how reviews in general shake out. Based on tweets and the like from various reviewers, I think there's going to be a split between people absolutely loving it and others coming away disappointed; which seems very different from the almost universal love it got in import reviews.

And no Dantis, this is not an opportunity for you to say, "I told you so," haha.

Not that this is a thing someone should bet on, but I bet that she's talking about the romance options in that tweet. It'll be interesting to see in the final review.

Hmm, number of options, or quality? I'm assuming both are similar to 3 & 4, and if they are, it's about what I expect. Can you confirm/deny? (As spoiler-free as possible)

I'm actually pretty interested to see how reviews in general shake out. Based on tweets and the like from various reviewers, I think there's going to be a split between people absolutely loving it and others coming away disappointed; which seems very different from the almost universal love it got in import reviews.

That's something I've been seeing around, yeah. Some absolutely love every inch of it, while some enjoy it, but don't praise it to nearly the same extent.

I certainly hope it does well though.

DNAbro

Hmm, number of options, or quality? I'm assuming both are similar to 3 & 4, and if they are, it's about what I expect. Can you confirm/deny? (As spoiler-free as possible)

That's something I've been seeing around, yeah. Some absolutely love every inch of it, while some enjoy it, but don't praise it to nearly the same extent.

I certainly hope it does well though.

I'm not sure the best way to say this but if it has boobs you can date it. Quality, idk.

I'm not sure the best way to say this but if it has boobs you can date it. Quality, idk.

If they have*

You can date them*

Going for the blunt approach I see. (But thanks, I get it. Not something I'll get riled up about then, honestly.)

Am I getting this right that people here are worrying that some folks merely enjoy P5 instead of loving it?

In all honesty, kinda? I mean, both Persona 3 and Persona 4 Golden were amazing stories that will stick with me for a long long time - based on all I know of Persona 5, I'm expecting similar here.

Also, no, Dantis, this isn't where you stick your opinion in and try to preemptively ruin something for someone else.

Lusankya

In all honesty, kinda? I mean, both Persona 3 and Persona 4 Golden were amazing stories that will stick with me for a long long time - based on all I know of Persona 5, I'm expecting similar here.

Yes, and I mean, why shouldn't you? I expect the same for me, but there will always be ones who won't love Persona 5 and who didn't love Persona 3 or 4.

I am not worried at all just because somebody on twitter said they had different expectations towards some confidants. (My guess is she was way too optimistic and expected a Japanese developer to include same sex romances.)

My guess is she was way too optimistic and expected a Japanese developer to include same sex romances.

Yeah, as much as I hate it, I've grown accustomed to how rare/improbable that is now.

I still have my fingers crossed that there will be a FeMC in the inevitable Persona 5 Definitive/Portable edition though. Loved the FeMC in P3P.

Lynx_7

And no Dantis, this is not an opportunity for you to say, "I told you so," haha.

Dantis in the Brink of Memories - Told You So, feat. PKGaming

Tomorrow on iTunes.

Cancelling my pre-order if this doesn't surpass GTA IV.
Actually, I haven't pre-ordered the game

Aside from mollipen and Edge magazine, everyone else seems extremely happy with it. But I haven't seen that much feedback. Where are the negative tweets from everyone else?

GSR

I mean, if y'all're expecting perfect scores or a perfect game... don't? P5 is a very very good JRPG, but it's got storytelling problems, occasional dungeon gameplay issues, etc.

But to put things into perspective: I never finished P3 and never even wanted to pick up P4. I don't really play many JRPGs anymore, and honestly my gaming time is kind of limited due to life in general. But I played P5 for 90 hours and got all the SLs. So that's my endorsement.

Sophia

I feel like the 39/40 that Persona 5 got from Famitsu accurately describes the game: Yes, there are flaws, but the whole package is overall fantastic and greater then most games.

DNAbro

I feel like the 39/40 that Persona 5 got from Famitsu accurately describes the game: Yes, there are flaws, but the whole package is overall fantastic and greater then most games.

I would say the exact same thing about Persona 4 Golden lol.

Sophia

I would say the exact same thing about Persona 4 Golden lol.

Honestly, I feel it describes most recent MegaTen games.

I do feel from what I've seen and what I know of the story that it's a step above Persona 3 FES and Persona 4 Golden tho. It's not perfect; but Atlus definitely learned from P4/P4G.

TheFatMan

After like three hours of debate I decided to stick with the rad looking Steelbook from Amazon and pass on the controller decal included in the standard edition....

I wish I could get both without paying 120 dollars haha.

Lynx_7

I find statements like "the game is not perfect" or "it has flaws" very... Useless as a piece of criticism? Really obvious? You can apply it to any given piece of media you could think of, it's hardly something worth mentioning as a negative. This isn't particularly aimed at any of you guys, but moreso the general discourse surrounding critically acclaimed games such as BOTW and Nier Automata lately, specially the former. The last few posts just gave me an excuse to bring it up.

Perfection as a measurement of quality is useless. It's an ideal to strive for but not an achievable goal, specially considering how abstract and subjective it is in the first place. Something doesn't need to be perfect to be a 10/10 in the eyes of many.

That said, tempering your expectations is always good advice.

artsi

Personally my only three cons about Persona 5 are:

- Missing voice acting in important scenes and confidants
- Occasional PS2 level textures in the city
- Morgana babysitting the player 24/7. I go to sleep if I want to, dude.

Aaaand that's it.

Sophia

I find statements like "the game is not perfect" or "it has flaws" very... Useless as a piece of criticism? Really obvious? You can apply it to any given piece of media you could think of, it's hardly something worth mentioning as a negative. This isn't particularly aimed at any of you guys, but moreso the general discourse surrounding critically acclaimed games such as BOTW and Nier Automata lately, specially the former. The last few posts just gave me an excuse to bring it up.

Perfection as a measurement of quality is useless. It's an ideal to strive for but not an achievable goal, specially considering how abstract and subjective it is in the first place. Something doesn't need to be perfect to be a 10/10 in the eyes of many.

That said, tempering your expectations is always good advice.

To be fair, I only use such statements to avoid gameplay and story spoilers. I don't want to go into details (even with spoiler tags) until people have had the chance to play the game for themselves. I suspect a lot of people will share one common criticism of the game tho.

The minor issues I have with it are really nitpicky. Its quality is sky high, and impressively consistent, it's hard not to score this what it deserves imo.

What have you been hearing around the review circuit? People seem to agree with you, or are they more mixed on it? (Can't wait to post the Review Thread tomorrow.)

Lynx_7

To be fair, I only use such statements to avoid gameplay and story spoilers. I don't want to go into details (even with spoiler tags) until people have had the chance to play the game for themselves. I suspect a lot of people will share one common criticism of the game tho.
That's fair, which is why I said it wasn't aimed at any one statement here. Seeing people try to discredit the scores BOTW got as "the game isn't perfect" just kinda created a new pet peeve of mine. :p

What have you been hearing around the review circuit? People seem to agree with you, or are they more mixed on it? (Can't wait to post the Review Thread tomorrow.)

He previously said the game was being very highly regarded among other critics.
EDIT: Jason Schreier was also very positive about the game.

ferunnico

Neo Member
Not sure about the situation in other countries, but the biggest Dutch retailers list €59,99 as the price for P5. Doesn't explain why it's more expensive in the PS Store, but I suggest checking with some retailers to see if you can find it cheaper.

I just noticed that Amazon lists the steelbook edition as €67,99 and the standard edition as €69,99, which leads me to believe that the prices will probably change before release. The standard edition might even drop to €59,99, I have noticed similar pre-release price changes on Amazon before.

GSR

I mean, to follow up on my previous post with a little more substance: I feel like P5's plot goes off the rails to some extent near the end, in the sense that I like the ideas of what they were going for but the execution is kind of muddled and a few important character beats get lost as a result. I also feel like the game's themes of catharsis and taking down corruption occasionally dance a little close to wish fulfillment/power fantasies, especially in some of the co-ops.

My other big critique is that the game feels a little too safe, in the sense that it replays the P3/P4 formula to a T (if polished to a shine). But for some people that's totally fine!

I still think it's a very strong game, though, and pretty much all the buzz I've heard amongst reviewers and fellow importers is very positive besides a few points here and there like the above.

Makio

Well i take it back ... Cherami Leigh actually sounds great as Makoto , need to hear actual battle lines , but she nailed in the story scenes , im impressed actually.

Seems another worry i got to take back in a dub / localization which been judged asf but so far sounds flawless... not even those weird and literal translation , everything sounds natural great as previous Persona games.

Well i take it back ... Cherami Leigh actually sounds great as Makoto , need to hear actual battle lines , but she nailed in the story scenes , im impressed actually.

Seems another worry i got to take back in a dub / localization which been judged asf but so far sounds flawless... not even those weird and literal translation , everything sounds natural great as previous Persona games.

If they re-recorded "FISTS OF JUSTICE" I will be the happiest person ever.

Otherwise, I'm not sure how long I'd be able to stand that, considering I plan to have her in my party asap.

Makio

If they re-recorded "FISTS OF JUSTICE" I will be the happiest person ever..

Thats is my mind right now in normal , calm lines she sounds flawless and the tone she got is great, and a right tone for the character personality

But i need to see (hear) how she sounds when she went "furious" in battle because everytime she sounds angry in her trailer she sounds forced asf (FISTS OF JUSTICE in the top of it).

But i like i say , i had my expections low but she doing great , like the dub in general.

I just noticed that Amazon lists the steelbook edition as €67,99 and the standard edition as €69,99, which leads me to believe that the prices will probably change before release. The standard edition might even drop to €59,99, I have noticed similar pre-release price changes on Amazon before.
Huh, I thought Europe only got the standard edition after the steelbook edition sold out, since the two retailers I talked about only have the premium and steelbook editions. (Which makes the PS Store price even weirder since the fancy steelbook eiditon is cheaper than the digital game…)

daevious

I don't know why everyone thought Cherami Leigh wouldn't work as Makoto, that role is custom made for her.

The only one I'm worried about at this point is Haru, and even then the voice they picked isn't a bad fit.

Top Bottom