• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Perineum

Cast: P4 >> P5 > P3 > P2 > P1
Story: P5 >= P2 > P4 > P3 > P1
Gameplay and Dungeons: P5 >> P4 > P3 > P2 > P1
Music: P4 > P5 > P3 > P1 > P2

I'm not a fan of P3, sorry guys. Do note I played P3 first, then P4, then P1, then P2:IS, then P5.

Don't sweat it. I think P3 is a lot of archaic and bad gameplay put together myself. I've never played P1, and I only dabbled in P2, so for me I can only rate P3-P5.

Cast : P4 > > > > > P5 > P3
Story : P5=P4 > 3 (The big twist at the end of P5 saved its plot for me)
Gameplay and Dungeons: P4>P5>>>>>>>>P3. (P4 may be randomly generated, but I liked the themes of them especially Kanjis, and P5 stepped it up for first 4 palaces then went straight to garbage)
Music: P4>P5>P3

P5 needed more awesome tracks for sure. I do really like The River song for final bosses though.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Going through P3 again for the first time in a while has had me really recall a lot of the game more accurately lol so my rankings are probably a bit different than they would have been a few days ago.

Cast P4 > P3 > P5
Story P5 = P3 > P4
Music P4 = P3 > P5
Gameplay P5 > P4 > P3
Overall P4 > P3 = P5

These are just formal rankings though because really difference between most of these is like marginal or preferential at best. The only time where it's a wide gap is gameplay because P5 is leagues ahead of P4 which is only a step above P3. Also P5s sound track is incredible but something about 3 and 4s music just really hit those emotional moments much harder.

Cast wise I think the P5 cast was the weakest of the 3 for me because man, they're just like I dunno, it's hard to explain but it feels like they're all friends with me but not reallly friends with each other? They have a few interactions among each other, like ryuji and ann teasing each other, futaba and yusuke teasing each other but they don't play off each other the way the characters do in P4 and P3. In P4 in particular it really feels like everyone is friends with everyone, P3 has characters with a lot of history with each other and it's interesting watching them grow so much throughout the game. P5 has group texts...and characters really only grow in their social links where it's kind of superficial at best.

P4 has a fairly weak story but it gets the job done really well. P3s story is much stronger by comparison and P5s is thematically rich as hell, the themes and character motivations are super tightly woven into every detail of the game.

Also something I noticed about P3 that I hadn't really thought about but is actually really nice, the main combat shit always happens at night so you always get an afternoon at least. In P4 and P5 you have to use up your afternoon to do dungeon stuff, and in P5 until you get back massages you can't even do anything immediately after. If it wasn't for the fortune perks in P5 I think the time schedule would probably be the hardest for maxing out social links. P3 is pretty easy by comparison.

PK Gaming

Cast wise I think the P5 cast was the weakest of the 3 for me because man, they're just like I dunno, it's hard to explain but it feels like they're all friends with me but not reallly friends with each other? They have a few interactions among each other, like ryuji and ann teasing each other, futaba and yusuke teasing each other but they don't play off each other the way the characters do in P4 and P3. In P4 in particular it really feels like everyone is friends with everyone, P3 has characters with a lot of history with each other and it's interesting watching them grow so much throughout the game. P5 has group texts...and characters really only grow in their social links where it's kind of superficial at best.

I feel like the closeness of Persona 4's cast is overstated due to the many group events (which are all amazing). There's a level of chemistry and "fun" factor that exceeds pretty much any of what P5/P3 has to offer. That said, outside of those events, the game doesn't sell their friendship all that well. Characters don't hang out in each other's social links (oof), characters rarely get moments or scenes that develop their internal personal relationships outside of the protagonist (how many times do Yukiko and Chie get scenes to develop their friendship?) and most galling of all, characters don't directly talk to each other. They're always talking around specific events, so character to character conversations are practically nonexistent. Also, Kanji's crush on Naoto, Yosuke's lame harassment hold back the cast as well.

P5 fixes pretty much all of that, with moments like these: [1], [2] or [3].
and characters really only grow in their social links where it's kind of superficial at best.

This is patently untrue, and P4 is like, the worst at developing their characters outside of social links. Because there is none.

EDIT:

Also something I noticed about P3 that I hadn't really thought about but is actually really nice, the main combat shit always happens at night so you always get an afternoon at least. In P4 and P5 you have to use up your afternoon to do dungeon stuff, and in P5 until you get back massages you can't even do anything immediately after. If it wasn't for the fortune perks in P5 I think the time schedule would probably be the hardest for maxing out social links. P3 is pretty easy by comparison.

I dunno. People are maxing out confidants in their first blind run of P5. That's pretty much impossible in P3/P4 without prior knowledge / heavy planning.

Lunar15

P5 is a mix of p3 and 4 cast setups with a bit more purpose for each character. That said, I wish there was more slice of life from p4 and more later game character growth from P3

The thing P5's cast seems to have over the others is more agency: they all feel like they actively contribute to the goal in interesting and surprising ways.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I feel like the closeness of Persona 4's cast is overstated due to the many group events (which are all amazing). There's a level of chemistry and "fun" factor that exceeds pretty much any of what P5/P3 has to offer. That said, outside of those events, the game doesn't sell their friendship all that well. Characters don't hang out in each other's social links (oof), characters rarely get moments or scenes that develop their internal personal relationships outside of the protagonist (how many times do Yukiko and Chie get scenes to develop their friendship?) and most galling of all, characters don't directly talk to each other. They're always talking around specific events, so character to character conversations are practically nonexistent. Also, Kanji's crush on Naoto, Yosuke's lame harassment hold back the cast as well.

P5 fixes pretty much all of that, with moments like these: [1], [2] or [3].

This is patently untrue, and P4 is like, the worst at developing their characters outside of social links. Because there is none.

EDIT:

I dunno. People are maxing out confidants in their first blind run of P5. That's pretty much impossible in P3/P4 without prior knowledge / heavy planning.

Well I'll start off with that last point first, but the only way I was able to max my social links was because I looked up what ranks confidants gave out mementos missions and what confidants were gated behind social stats so I just planned around that. If I hadn't looked that up I feel like I would have definitely not had time to do Haru and shinya at least, possibly futaba too since I neglected kindness for a bit too long even knowing how much she needed (since even though I knew all that stuff I didn't really know when she was going to show up lol). Also once I realized how fortune worked I nearly took everyone who wasnt maxed to at least rank 7 by october

As far as the other stuff I feel like the P4 cast interacts with each other fairly frequently, because of the amount of events, the entire camping trip is yukiko, chie and yosuke talking to each other basically, then there is the stuff when everyone hangs out with nanako, the countless times yosuke talks to kanji about naoto, yosuke and teddie shit talking each other and way more. I might be remembering wrong but I believe characters showing up in others slinks happens once or twice (definitely happens with marie but marie isn't a real thing anyways so we can ignore that). The culture festival stuff also has a huge group dynamic scene. I mean you're not gonna get many heart to hearts between the characters unless they're talking to you because of the light hearted and goofy tone of the game.

I feel like those same moments you linked in P5 have some analogue to them in P4, the entire hotel night thing was basically the dudes of the team hanging out and getting into trouble. Also a lot of your criticisms of P4 can be levied towards P5 as well. P5 confidant events has mostly just you and the confidant talking or talking with other confidant specific characters rarely including other major group members. The characters only grow to overcome their main problems within their social link because in the main story most of the growing is done as a group which is wonderful but not really as individuals.

I will definitely agree that P4 barely develops their characters within the main story and almost all the development is very much contained to their links, it's very awkward getting dojima and nanako to really open up to you and overcome their lack of closeness in their links but rarely seeing that fully reflect in the story. Also seeing kanji finally come to terms with his interests resolving but not being reflected in the main story was lame. But the same is true for P5, Yusuke finally comes to terms with who he is as an artist, makoto comes to learn about love, ann decides to be the best model, ryuji fixes the track team, haru decides to not get married and to open a cafe, but none of these things comes across in the main story. The only one is futaba because hers is set up before the slink starts.

Oh jeez this came off as a bit of a disorganized rant but I dunno, I will agree that P4s cast isn't as strong as I make it out to be but I don't think P5s cast is as strong as you make it out to be either.

P5 is a mix of p3 and 4 cast setups with a bit more purpose for each character. That said, I wish there was more slice of life from p4 and more later game character growth from P3

The thing P5's cast seems to have over the others is more agency: they all feel like they actively contribute to the goal in interesting and surprising ways.

Yeah I will agree with this, Yusuke's art stuff comes in handy, Ryuji is clearly the muscle (and his sprinting saves the day in palace 7!), Makoto is a great second in command, Futaba is an awesome navi and her hacking stuff comes in to play multiple times, Ann uh well she does Ann things twice I think and Haru doesn't really get much screen time to prove her special utility other than being rich. Morgana is also miles ahead of teddie.

PK Gaming

As far as the other stuff I feel like the P4 cast interacts with each other fairly frequently, because of the amount of events, the entire camping trip is yukiko, chie and yosuke talking to each other basically, then there is the stuff when everyone hangs out with nanako, the countless times yosuke talks to kanji about naoto, yosuke and teddie shit talking each other and way more. I might be remembering wrong but I believe characters showing up in others slinks happens once or twice (definitely happens with marie but marie isn't a real thing anyways so we can ignore that). The culture festival stuff also has a huge group dynamic scene. I mean you're not gonna get many heart to hearts between the characters unless they're talking to you because of the light hearted and goofy tone of the game.

Those interactions are definitely incredibly enjoyable, but it's almost always in service to whatever big event they're experiencing. It's not the same as having Yukiko directly talk to Yosuke about his deal, like what Yusuke did with Ryuji. Furthermore, the countless times Yosuke talks to Kanji are almost always gag related. Dude has like one serious conversation with him in Golden (during the beach event) but he's listing off platitudes instead of having a natural conversation with him so it's not the greatest. (Though i'll admit, Yosuke's interactions with Teddie are quite good.) There are several instances where party members appear in Marie's social link, but it's completely mostly terrible. Party members appearing in each other's social links doesn't happen at all in P4 (though Yosuke shows up in Naoki's social link, and the gang shows up in Shu's).

I feel like those same moments you linked in P5 have some analogue to them in P4, the entire hotel night thing was basically the dudes of the team hanging out and getting into trouble. Also a lot of your criticisms of P4 can be levied towards P5 as well. P5 confidant events has mostly just you and the confidant talking or talking with other confidant specific characters rarely including other major group members. The characters only grow to overcome their main problems within their social link because in the main story most of the growing is done as a group which is wonderful but not really as individuals.

The analogue in P4 feel gimmicky in comparison. The hotel night scene is goofy, over the top, and fun, but it doesn't have P5's grounded feeling. It's not like P4 is bad in this regard (I mean, I fucking love P4) but I prefer P5's nuanced approach to group talk. Also don't get me wrong, Confidant's aren't perfect for group interactions either, but it's still leagues above Persona 4 in that regard.

agOiCrJ.png
HKz6gL7.png

This would never happen in P4

I will definitely agree that P4 barely develops their characters within the main story and almost all the development is very much contained to their links, it's very awkward getting dojima and nanako to really open up to you and overcome their lack of closeness in their links but rarely seeing that fully reflect in the story. Also seeing kanji finally come to terms with his interests resolving but not being reflected in the main story was lame. But the same is true for P5, Yusuke finally comes to terms with who he is as an artist, makoto comes to learn about love, ann decides to be the best model, ryuji fixes the track team, haru decides to not get married and to open a cafe, but none of these things comes across in the main story. The only one is futaba because hers is set up before the slink starts.

The same is true to P5, but to a smaller extent. Ryuji and Morgana have ongoing character arcs in the main narrative. The stuff the Phantom Thieves experience during the confidants is nice, but it's not like they fundamentally change as people during them, so there isn't as big of a dissonance with how they act during the main story like in P4.

Oh jeez this came off as a bit of a disorganized rant but I dunno, I will agree that P4s cast isn't as strong as I make it out to be but I don't think P5s cast is as strong as you make it out to be either.

Up until recently, P4G was my favorite game of all time and I was hopelessly enamored with P4's cast, haha. We might disagree, but I know where you're coming from. From my end, P5's cast feels like a family (see Buffy) rather than a group of friends.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Up until recently, P4G was my favorite game of all time and I was hopelessly enamored with P4's cast, haha. We might disagree, but I know where you're coming from. From my end, P5's cast feels like a family (see Buffy) rather than a group of friends.

Haha yeah it's a tricky comparisons anyways. But you're definitely right about how P5s cast interactions do feel more intimate and relevant P4 has a lot more of them but they're almost always hijinks or goofy in nature. They do definitely come together more but mostly because P5s tone and nature kind of calls for it a lot more. P4 kinda wrote a story where no one needed to grow outside of their social links, it's why I think the story in P5 is probably the strongest yet.

And yeah while P4 definitely feels like a big ass gang of life long friends, P5 totally feels like a big supportive family that is born from a lack of people giving them the support they needed because every main cast member is / feels like an outcast. P5s biggest strength in my opinion is how ridiculously well it weaves its themes into just about every facet of the game.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Late game P5 spoilers (and P4 spoilers):
Why was everyone so surprised when Goro changed into the black mask? Who the fuck else did they think it was?

I really wasn't expecting to have that fight - got through by the skin of my teeth as my entire party was circling the drain by that point.

I'm going to send the calling card for Shido - that doesn't cause a time skip does it (like Adachi's dungeon in P4)?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Late game spoilers (and P4 spoilers):
Why was everyone so surprised when Goro changed into the black mask? Who the fuck else did they think it was?

I really wasn't expecting to have that fight - got through by the skin of my teeth as my entire party was circling the drain by that point.

I'm going to send the calling card for Shido - that doesn't cause a time skip does it (like Adachi's dungeon in P4)?

Warning: these spoilers are for P5

Late game P5 spoilers (and P4 spoilers):

(Still P5 spoilers)
Akechi's mask as far as they knew was red.

Persona 3 vanilla wasn't even designed with maxing all social links in mind, and there's an interview where Hashino talks about it being impossible (although I'm not sure that it actually is).

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
(Still P5 spoilers)
Akechi's mask as far as they knew was red.

I might be mis-remembering what they as cast knew compared to you as the player, but
they knew he was responsible for the mental shutdowns at this point. It never occurred to me that they would think that there was yet another person running around as the black mask.

I can definitely see how people might not be happy with the tone in this game compared to 4. Persona 5 is more like 3 where narration is the main focus, and the team went for a more serious tone with comedy sprinkled in. In Persona 4, the light hearted atmosphere lends itself to fun weird stuff from the start, much more than 5. Like how the teachers in P4 wore an Egyptian headpiece or had a sockpuppet mini-me. The zany localization team also helped, where stuff like Funky Student and Kou with his balls were really funny.

Still, I enjoyed Persona 5 for its more emotional story (so close to the endgame!) and it's not completely devoid of good natured humor. Futaba is just adorable and with Misihima around I was guarenteed a laugh.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Persona 3 vanilla wasn't even designed with maxing all social links in mind, and there's an interview where Hashino talks about it being impossible (although I'm not sure that it actually is).

Oh yeah maybe but i guess that's probably because in P3 you're only encouraged to do the ones you like. Either way it doesn't really feel like you're pressured into min maxing your free time as hard in p3 but that could be completely psychological since there are no trophies lmao

DNAbro

Cast P4 >>> P5 > P3
Story P5 > P4 > P3
Music P4 > P3 > P5
Gameplay P5 >>>>> P4 > P3
Overall P4 > P5 > P3

who the fuck played P1 and P2

Mediking

The ONLY thing P4G does better than P5 so far is the music. I keep saying this but I have yet to hear something as amazing as Your Affection in P5 (only beat Palace 3). There is this really sad tune in P5 that I don't know the name of that plays during sad moments that sounds really good though.

I think the biggest flaw in fhe OST is that there isn't more of it. One normal battle theme for the whole game? One non-repeated fight song in the whole game? It's a complete joke.

Isn't this the case for every Persona game aside from P4G? Wasn't Wiping All Out the only battle theme if you played as the girl? I may be remembering wrong but I know most games have only had one normal battle theme.

Doesn't really bother me because I feel like Last Surprise is the greatest battle theme ever made.

who the fuck played P1 and P2

Real Smegma eggMcMuffin Tortellini fans.

LET'S GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE THAT SONG!!!!! LOVE THE PSP VERSION ON MY VITA!

Here's the save music! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pib3Cx2TFFw

It's super fantastic. Love the creepy vibe from the PSX version as well.

Bums me out every time I see discourse over the P1 OSTs. I think both are phenomenal. The PSP music doesn't fit with the game much, but it still stands alone with so many amazing tracks, while the PSX OST is really creepy and haunting, but also has a lot of really great and memorable melodies.

Mediking

It's super fantastic. Love the creepy vibe from the PSX version as well.

Bums me out every time I see discourse over the P1 OSTs. I think both are phenomenal. The PSP music doesn't fit with the game much, but it still stands alone with so many amazing tracks, while the PSX OST is really creepy and haunting, but also has a lot of really great and memorable melodies.

Dude.... I just almost cried over hearing that Name Entry for the PSP version.

Don't think about your life when listening to that song... lol

Dantis

Isn't this the case for every Persona game aside from P4G? Wasn't Wiping All Out the only battle theme if you played as the girl? I may be remembering wrong but I know most games have only had one normal battle theme.

Doesn't really bother me because I feel like Last Surprise is the greatest battle theme ever made.

Real Smegma eggMcMuffin Tortellini fans.

I mean, P4 had three non-repeating boss themes, but even then that's not the point.

The size of the OST has always been an issue, and somehow P5's is even smaller, not bigger. And that's definitely bad.

I mean, P4 had three non-repeating boss themes, but even then that's not the point.

The size of the OST has always been an issue, and somehow P5's is even smaller, not bigger. And that's definitely bad.

Oh I thought you meant for just normal battles. Yeah, that was a little disappointing. But I do like the Final Boss theme a lot, but yeah (endgame boss spoilers)
Shido and the Grail sharing a theme was kinda disappointing.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Swear to my bones and our beginning are probably the most emotionally charged P5 songs for me, it's funny that they're both instrumental ones too.

Lunar15

The point Dantis is trying to make, and I ultimately agree with, is that a 100+ hour RPG needs to mix it up a bit more than P5 does.

There's a lot of stellar songs, but they're not in spots where you hear them a whole lot. It stinks because I really like so many songs on this soundtrack more than a lot of P3/4's songs. It's just in game there's not enough stand-outs that stick with you on a day to day basis.

Seems even more backwards considering they had 5 years on this game and P4G felt like it had a broader variety of tracks.

Sophia

The soundtrack to Persona 5 is actually bigger (3 discs, 110 songs) then Persona 4 and Golden (2 discs, 52 songs for the original game plus another disc with 15 songs)

Even if you take out six "8-Bit video game" songs, it's still larger than P3 or P4 by a significant mile. Which suggests that it's a placement issue rather than a number of songs.

They should take a page from SMT in this aspect.

SMT Nocturne has 5 different normal battle themes that play depending on which area you are in in the game:

Dungeon
Town
Overworld
Amala Network
Amala Labyrinth

To further change things up, some of those have different variations that play depending on what Phase of Kagutsuchi it is when you enter the battle, which usually results in a different guitar solo when you get to the part where a guitar solo happens. For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv4p3O-q1KI&t=50s

This solo is what plays for I think New Katgutsuchi

This would play for a different phase, probably 1/8 Katgutsuchi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv4p3O-q1KI&t=1m58s

all the way to Full Katgutsuchi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv4p3O-q1KI&t=7m32s

SMTIV doesn't get anywhere near as crazy with this, however it does however have 3 different main battle themes that change depending where in the game you are.

I would hope for P6 they mix it up like this

Lynx_7

To further change things up, some of those have different variations that play depending on what Phase of Kagutsuchi it is when you enter the battle, which usually results in a different guitar solo when you get to the part where a guitar solo happens. For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv4p3O-q1KI&t=50s

This solo is what plays for I think New Katgutsuchi

This would play for a different phase, probably 1/8 Katgutsuchi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv4p3O-q1KI&t=1m58s

all the way to Full Katgutsuchi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv4p3O-q1KI&t=7m32s

Holy shit how did I never notice this

Nimby

Banned
Cast: P5 > P4 >> P3
Gameplay: P5 >> P4 >> P3
Story: P5 > P3 > P4
Soundtrack: P5 >= P3 > P4

P5 = 9/10
P4 = 8/10
P3 = 7/10

The scenes with everyone telling their backstory, that one scene w/ the guys and Ann on the school trip, scenes with Makoto and Sae, push P5 cast to the top for me. I will acknowledge P4 as a whole had way better S.Links, I feel P5 was disappointing in regards to tackling tough personal subjects like the ones in P4. But I definitely prefer the characterization built up during the story in P5. If they do have an extended addition, pack it full with scenes like those please.

Jachaos

My opinion on the cast comes down to this: P4 was hilarious. P5 was pretty funny too with many of the answer choices in dialogue. But very few daily life events that made me laugh out loud. I may be crazy but I miss Teddie and how funny a lot of what he said was. There was this laid back, fun atmosphere to it all and a lot of it was because of interactions not even concerning the player. You don't get Morgana saying "It's because I'M not working hard enough! There's no getting around it!" to Ryuji for example. I didn't feel like I was saying bye to a group of friend at the end of P5, more like a group of partners. I'm sure they'll add a lot of events in a future version like they did with the past two games, but if Giant Bomb had played this game, they wouldn't have laughed even half as much as they did during the P4 Endurance Run (and that wasn't even Golden). I get that the game is going for a more serious tone but eh, I still missed that side of Persona during my playthrough.

That said, Persona 5 is an amazing game and I love the part with Yusuke at the Church.

EMT0

Banned
So guys, what's up? It's been a while. I nope'd out of the thread once we started getting Persona 5 media because I wanted to go in as blind as I could like I did with 3 and 4. Having now beaten Persona 5....I'm back again :)

Although I'll mostly be lurking, I may as well join in:

Cast: Persona 4 > Persona 5 > Persona 3
Social Links: Persona 5 > Persona 4 > Persona 3
Gameplay: Persona 5 > Persona 4 >>> Persona 3(all versions)
Soundtrack: I can't rate them. I love them all like I'd love my children, equally
Story:
Early: Persona 5 > Persona 3 > Persona 4
Midgame: Persona 4 > Persona 5 > Persona 3
Endgame: Persona 3 = 5 >> Persona 4
Ending sequence: Persona 4 > Persona 3 > Persona 5
Thematics: Persona 3 > Persona 4 > Persona 5
Mascot: Teddy > Aegis > Morgana

(Koromaru doesn't feel like a mascot at all, Aegis always felt like she was the marketing/presentation equivalent of Teddy and Morgana to me)

I like Persona 3's ideas, but heavily dislike a lot of the execution. I found most of its social links forgettable, and most of the characters felt like they were skirting towards caricatures(Mitsuru, sort of Aegis) or felt like they were non-existent personalities(Fuuka, sort of Akihiko). I actively hated Junpei at first but grew to like him by the end, and felt neutral on everybody else except Elizabeth, who I really enjoyed. Naturally, it's the roughest of the modern Persona games and that's forgivable, but Tartarus was hot ass garbage and ensures that I'm not replaying 3 anytime soon, especially after 5.

Persona 4 is my favorite. That game resonated with me more than any other game has before, and is my GOAT game. I love the characters(yes, even Yosuke), the presentation, (most) of the plot, the music, and the gameplay is more than serviceable, even after 5. No, Marie is not a character

Persona 5 is a flawed but great game, IMO. Haru really gets the short end of the stick in screentime, Morgana's schtick gets old really fast when he continues to needle Ryuji endlessly then plays the victim, Makoto(as much as I like her) utterly dominates the script as soon as she joins until the very end of the game and pushes a lot of characters into the backseat, and I think the most notable one of all, the game's thematics are all over the place. I've actually got quite the number of flaws I can point out in 5 but despite all of these flaws, 5 is still an amazing Persona game with the strongest social links, best gameplay, and best twists in the series, hands down. I'd even say I like the cast of 5 individually more than the cast of 4, but that the cohesiveness of 4's cast pushes it over the line for me.

P5 Spoilers:
I'm not sure if I'm just too simple to follow all the thematics the game has been juggling since the start or if they're actually just poorly managed. Persona 3 has the inevitability of death. Persona 4 has pursuit of the truth. They're constant, they're blatantly in your face, and they never take second stage to any other concept. In contrast, Persona 5. Supposedly, it's rebellion but it really doesn't feel like it. The first dungeon (IMO) was amazing and lined up perfectly with that theme; defying the natural order of Japanese society and doing what needs to be done because you both need and want to spite those norms. The second dungeon strays a little bit in that it doesn't really feel like you're giving society the finger anymore and overcoming personal challenges. It feels like you're largely just doing the right thing, but not really challenging society at all. I freaking love Yusuke, he's my favorite cast member, but Madarame largely feels like just yet another crook where there are undoubtedly many more in the world. It feels as though yeah, the Phantom Thieves want to help Yusuke. And yes, as far as Yusuke himself is concerned, he is rebelling against all he knows. But the Phantom Thieves as a whole? It largely feels like you're helping out a victim whose situation you stuck your foot in in the pursuit of glory and actively made worse for the victim. It really doesn't feel like rebellion when you go looking for trouble. I do forgive the 2nd palace of most of what I perceive to be its thematic shortcomings because of the heist elements at the end of the dungeon feeling like the perfect bandaid; that was incredible and actually made up for its failings in my mind due to the Phantom Thieves actually committing thievery in the most exciting manner imaginable. If that ain't rebellion, nothing is.

The next dungeon starring Makoto somewhat feels like rebellion again, because Makoto is ultimately on your side early on into the real world events that lead you into the palace, and is rebelling both against her extortionist and the principal. I wish they played up their rebellion against the principle more, however, as the 'rebellion' theme feels weaker against someone that's actively fucking you over in a highly illegal way, versus someone fucking you over in a means that's perfectly acceptable in Japanese society. The end of any more heist elements however, was incredibly disappointing. Ultimately, it feels like Makoto was rebelling as a Phantom Thief, but wasn't directing that energy at the person she needed to rebel against; instead, she was stopping somebody from seriously fucking her over and conveniently side-stepping the need to rebel against society in the form of the Principal, who I think was a missed opportunity for a Palace. I mean, this is the guy who gave the silent okay to the gym teacher's abuses and is actively conspiring against the Phantom Thieves. Makoto knows this, but everyone ignoring this just leaves a whole lot of question marks.

Futaba's palace is a return to Palace 1's rebellion; the entire point of the palace is to actively help Futaba overcome society at large feeling like an impregnable wasteland that will destroy her. I really have nothing to add to it, it's a great palace and fits perfectly with the thematics.

Palace 5 is bizarre and feels like something that should have been in Persona 4. It's tedious to play through, it feels completely out of place(although that's probably by design, considering the PT got played), and the element of rebellion feels incredibly weak to non-existent. Haru's reasoning for wanting to change her father for exploiting his workers while not bad per se, feel incredibly surface level in their reasoning as we never actually see that apparent abuse, or see from Haru what makes him so awful. What's more, this is exactly why Haru feels less meaningful than other members of the PT compared to say, Ann or Futaba. Yeah, he's ultimately a bastard and I'm not sad at all the Phantom Thieves took him down. But it feels like this stage of the game is the part where the exposition and game design completely fall apart for the duration of this dungeon. The writing may be competent, but everything else really doesn't feel like it is. Not being able to voice any opposition to the Phantom Thieves deciding to be guided by mob rule, public opinion, and glory seeking was also incredibly annoying. And the immediate forgiving of Morgana for breaking the Phantom Thieves' pact of not acting without unanimous consent after he behaved like a spoiled child also annoyed the hell out of me.

Everything else after Palace 5 falls squarely under 'End Game' for me and I feel like it lines back up with the thematics to a T. The ending especially ties it all together really well and makes you realize the political allegory.
tmw you realize that you're supposed to be the Mishima of the world, and be the first person to take a stand. I'm so glad I was more or less kind to him lol

Dantis

The soundtrack to Persona 5 is actually bigger (3 discs, 110 songs) then Persona 4 and Golden (2 discs, 52 songs for the original game plus another disc with 15 songs)

Even if you take out six "8-Bit video game" songs, it's still larger than P3 or P4 by a significant mile. Which suggests that it's a placement issue rather than a number of songs.

It's not. Most of those tracks are short tracks for the anime cutscenes composed by Konishi.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
After you "beat" the game again come back and tell us what ending you got so we can make sure you really got the true ending. Until then, save your cleared file on a separate slot so you can come back to the save before the endgame just in case. You have been warned! :p

finriunl.png

Izanagi Vs Izanami was pretty neat. Great boss battle, if a bit long.

I didn't expect there to be this much content left. Wonderful surprise.
But now it's really over. And I feel sad about it, which is pretty rare for me.
That short epilogue flet like a punch in the gut. The good kind.

What a game. Fought it's way between Psychonauts and The Curse of Monkey Island as my second favorite videogame, ever.
Hell of a ride. :)

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I

AM

FREE

I finally finished P5.

I'll eventually do a NG+ in about a week or so, I need a break. whew.

Lunar15

Goodbye, Hashino. ;-;

I don't really get why people are upset about this. Hashino's best when moving on to new projects because he infuses them with completely unconventional ideas. Nocturne and P3 were incredible paradigm shifts for their respective series. Love it or hate it, the guy thinks outside of the box.

Dude got the chance to make a new franchise and ended up making an action puzzle game themed around a marital commitment issues.

Persona might suffer, but Hashino (and more importantly, the team around him) are really the things to follow, in my opinion.

I don't really get why people are upset about this. Hashino's best when moving on to new projects because he infuses them with completely unconventional ideas. Nocturne and P3 were incredible paradigm shifts for their respective series. Love it or hate it, the guy thinks outside of the box.

Dude got the chance to make a new franchise and ended up making an action puzzle game themed around a marital commitment issues.

Persona might suffer, but Hashino (and more importantly, the team around him) are really the things to follow, in my opinion.

Agreed. Fairly or not, I associate all of my favourite aspects of modern Persona with Hashino and his ideas.

I think we got lucky with Hashino really measuring up to Satomi Tadashi (at least by most people's standards), so hopefully whoever takes his spot has just as many great and different ideas. I can't really blame Hashino considering aside from Nocturne and Catherine, this is really the only thing he's been working on for over a decade at this point.

daevious

Agreed. Fairly or not, I associate all of my favourite aspects of modern Persona with Hashino and his ideas.

I'm the same way. Persona 3 was the game that taught me that video games are capable of being more than entertainment, that games could deliver themes that resonated with people on a deep, emotional level. Which is why Hasino's interview toco toco is such a joy to watch because it's personally gratifying to know that wasn't an accident.

Setsu00

I will follow Hashino wherever he goes, but I heavily prefer Persona's contemporary setting to Re Fantasy's.. well, fantasy setting. It resonates a lot more with me and Hashino's thoughtful approach to making games is what set Persona apart from the myriad of other JRPGs with contemporary settings.

The thought of losing what makes the mainline Persona games special to me is somewhat disheartening.

Sophia

Excessive reliance on Hashino alone is bad. Atlus is more than just Hashino, Soejima, and Meguro.

I think people might feel this way tho because of the quality of the Persona 4 spinoffs compared to Persona 5.

Not just Hashino--Studio Zero took a lot of other P-Studio leads with them. Outside of Soejima and Meguro it's mostly a whole new ball-game, and I'm pretty concerned with where the series goes from here.

Top Bottom