• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Admittedly there's a hell of a lot of thread I haven't read, but in terms of references to previous games I've seen people talk about references to the P4 cast through checking the TV, but not seen anybody mention this fucking thing, which I end up looking at whenever I get sent to bed early:

jFFhKVO.jpg

what the hell

PK Gaming

Some brief thoughts after revisiting P4G (post P5):

• Social links are way better, as I expected. I really, really like the Confidants of P5, but they're nowhere near as affecting as Persona 4's. I think the social link music is huge part of that.
  • I've been way too hard on Yosuke lately. Like, I've been throwing him under the bus to push arguments, but man, he's nowhere a bad character. In fact, I think he's still P4's strongest character, even taking into account all of the very stupid dumb shit he indulges in.
  • I think P4 sidelining character development into social links isn't as egregious as people make it out to be. Sure, it sucks not seeing character development not reflected in the main story, but I think the connection the player makes with a particular character more than makes up for it, and those rank 10 moments are fantastic (Yosuke's fight with Yu, Kanji realizing what his dad truly meant... those are the highest of highs.).
  • There's a flow to scenes that make them very, very fun to experience. P5's scenes are largely tense and serious but just... like watch any of the "big" P4 events and you'll know hat I mean. You'll get sucked in.
  • HEARTBEAT, HEARTBREAK.
  • The dungeon play is hilariously shallow, but the game is somehow addicting as fuck. I intended to play for like 20 minutes and an hour went by. Oops.

Mediking

• Social links are way better, as I expected. I really, really like the Confidants of P5, but they're nowhere near as affecting as Persona 4's. I think the social link music is huge part of that.
  • I've been way too hard on Yosuke lately. Like, I've been throwing him under the bus to push arguments, but man, he's nowhere a bad character. In fact, I think he's still P4's strongest character, even taking into account all of the very stupid dumb shit he indulges in.
  • I think P4 sidelining character development into social links isn't as egregious as people make it out to be. Sure, it sucks not seeing character development not reflected in the main story, but I think the connection the player makes with a particular character more than makes up for it, and those rank 10 moments are fantastic (Yosuke's fight with Yu, Kanji realizing what his dad truly meant... those are the highest of highs.).
  • There's a flow to scenes that make them very, very fun to experience. P5's scenes are largely tense and serious but just... like watch any of the "big" P4 events and you'll know hat I mean. You'll get sucked in.
  • HEARTBEAT, HEARTBREAK.
  • The dungeon play is hilariously shallow, but the game is somehow addicting as fuck. I intended to play for like 20 minutes and an hour went by. Oops.

The only really positive thing I can say about P4G is the music and the music that spawned some awesome remix music in P4DAN.

Dont hate the game but like I always say... I see P3 and P4 as brothers.

Social links.... I do know I liked Chie, Yukiko's and the nurse. But I am not fond of Saki Konishi's brother or the old lady by the pond. Oh and the smart kid social link wasnt that gpod either.

!!!!!

Yo, I liked Dojima's and Nanako's social link!

Rise gets tons of unnecessary hate just like Ryuji.

Lol

Setsu00

The only really positive thing I can say about P4G is the music and the music that spawned some awesome remix music in P4DAN.

Dont hate the game but like I always say... I see P3 and P4 as brothers.

Social links.... I do know I liked Chie, Yukiko's and the nurse. But I am not fond of Saki Konishi's brother or the old lady by the pond. Oh and the smart kid social link wasnt that gpod either.

!!!!!

Yo, I liked Dojima's and Nanako's social link!

Rise gets tons of unnecessary hate just like Ryuji.

Lol

How can you dislike Hisano (the old lady)?!

Setsu00

Alotta depressing social links in P4 and I was really thinking sour on them at the time when I 1st played. Lol

Hisano's S.Link was probably my favorite one in P4.

Unrelated, but the JP Persona twitter account revealed that Hifumi's birthday is today (May 6).

Edit: Whoops, I missed a couple of characters. It's Isomura's birthday, not Hifumi's.

Dantis

Hashino mentioned in a recent interview that one of his key concepts for Re:Fantasy is "Anxiety". That's a broad term, but with Hashino he usually knows the exact feeling he wants to convey and isn't subtle about it.

It's so broad that it actually covers most of Hashino's games, which also cover anxiety in its different forms. P3 is anxiety of death, P4 is anxiety about self, P5 is anxiety about society. Catherine is about anxiety over commitment. So really, that statement could mean anything.

I'm excited for it.

I think I've come to terms with blonde boy being the protagonist, but I hope that he and the elf are the same age. A story or two character's journey who are on equal footing is more interesting to me than her taking Mitsuru style protector role.

Lunar15

I'm excited for it.

I think I've come to terms with blonde boy being the protagonist, but I hope that he and the elf are the same age. A story or two character's journey who are on equal footing is more interesting to me than her taking Mitsuru style protector role.

With the whole concept of the Fool's journey I can't see her being anything other than a protector. At least initially. It's way too early to tell.

With the protagonist "starting from zero", I can't imagine him being anything other than a blank state that has to be slowly introduced into the world, and the elf girl seems like the kind of introductory character that fills that role.

Dantis

I just noticed something.

Further to the right of the entrance is a door labelled “Atlus Sound Team.” The booths for each staff member of the sound team are lined up next to the Studio Zero floor. Meguro’s is the front door. It’s also Shuhei Kita, Ryota Kozuka, Toshiki Konishi and Kenichi Tsuchiya’s workplace. The sound booths are customized with sound insulated doors.

http://personacentral.com/project-re-fantasy-development-blog-part-3-studio-entrance-layout/

When/why is Shuhei Kita working as part of the Atlus Sound Team? (Kita being the singer on Soul Phrase)

With the whole concept of the Fool's journey I can't see her being anything other than a protector. At least initially. It's way too early to tell.

With the protagonist "starting from zero", I can't imagine him being anything other than a blank state that has to be slowly introduced into the world, and the elf girl seems like the kind of introductory character that fills that role.

I hope not. :(

Zafir

• HEARTBEAT, HEARTBREAK.
I've actually been going through P4G after Persona 5 too, since I never played the Golden 're-release'. All I can think is Persona 5 just did most things better for me. Which isn't too dissimilar to my thoughts of when I first played the original 4, I always felt Persona 3 just did things better.

Honestly the entire thing is weird for me, as I've always struggled to put my finger on what exactly it is that makes Persona 4 not click as much for me. I think in the end it's probably the overall tone that just doesn't resonate with me as much.

I'm basically near the beginning of December in Persona 4 Golden. Some thoughts -

• Dungeons are awful, I find myself running past enemies far too much because I was getting irritated by how dull it all is. Even worse getting into an encounter resets the music. All through
    "Heaven"
    which has amazing music, I'd be humming along and then I'd get into a battle and after it... It goes back to the slow start of the track. :(
  • Yosuke still sucks imo. Creepily buying swimsuits, signing girls up for swimsuit contests(I don't really care Teddie pushed him into it - he still went along with it), all the homophobic comments etc. The argument of him acting like a normal teenager rings pretty hollow to me too, that doesn't make me like him. Also unlike Ryuji (whom everyone has been comparing him to recently), he isn't even very likable in his social link either.
  • I think some of the social links are definitely better(not all though). I've not experienced all of them since I'm on NG so a lot of time has been spent on social stats. However there is a few non-party links which are a bit different than the standard affair. I liked how Ai for example
    has a crush on which ever sports club guy you chose instead of the MC
    . Party member social links are basically what I remembered, I don't think any of them are particularly amazing.
  • Marie is bad. I don't know who thought she was a good addition, or a good character. Her existence meant there was some nice group scenes I guess... I'd have rather them just add the group scenes separately though. (and add Naoto in, since she doesn't get any appearance at all in the social link, outside of her being in the back drop for an "inter-level" meeting which was really weird since she'd never met Marie at that point)
  • I wish they'd have made Adachi's social link less obtuse to get. I don't like following guides. So it annoyed me when I looked up why in the world he wouldn't hang out with me most of the time. It turns out he has some really bizarre requirements like talking to him in the day or talking to him at night, and then if it is night you can't have leveled up a social link in the day. Who thought that was a good idea? I'm pretty disappointed that I've had to miss out on that social link because honestly it might have added some much needed background to Adachi.
    It also might have made the reveal less ehh...
  • I still feel character development is mostly shoved into social links, you see maybe a slight bit of change in how they act through the story, but not massively.
  • Summer pacing was really weird. Like people complain about 5 having rubbish pacing around that point, but so does Persona 4. I didn't really care at all about the Mitsuo plotline, you don't really learn that much at all about him and he's not exactly likable or relatable in anyway. The summer "fan-service"/"group" scenes are all back-loaded too, they all happen in the final week of summer.
  • I still don't think the main story is as strong, or the big reveals are as hard hitting, but that's a personal thing probably.
    I've never been very attached to Nanako (I've always felt she's a bit too "perfect" as a little sister and so it makes it really hard for me to believe in her as a character). With that in mind, the hospital scenes didn't really hit me as much as I think they really should have. Adachi reveal is kind of ehhh....

• Since I feel like I'm being too negative here's a big positive. I do love that there's a lot of scenes with the group just hanging out as friends, 3 and 5 both miss that. The only downside is still that Naoto joins really late. That said, I've heard they added more scenes around the start of next year, so *fingers crossed*

Lunar15

Playing P5 has made me realize how important fixed camera angles were to establishing an iconic feel for Inaba. They absolutely should have gone this route for P5, if only to better establish the illusion that it's a gigantic city.

PK Gaming

I've actually been going through P4G after Persona 5 too, since I never played the Golden 're-release'. All I can think is Persona 5 just did most things better for me. Which isn't too dissimilar to my thoughts of when I first played the original 4, I always felt Persona 3 just did things better.

Honestly the entire thing is weird for me, as I've always struggled to put my finger on what exactly it is that makes Persona 4 not click as much for me. I think in the end it's probably the overall tone that just doesn't resonate with me as much.

I'm basically near the beginning of December in Persona 4 Golden. Some thoughts -

• Dungeons are awful, I find myself running past enemies far too much because I was getting irritated by how dull it all is. Even worse getting into an encounter resets the music. All through
    "Heaven"
    which has amazing music, I'd be humming along and then I'd get into a battle and after it... It goes back to the slow start of the track. :(
  • Yosuke still sucks imo. Creepily buying swimsuits, signing girls up for swimsuit contests(I don't really care Teddie pushed him into it - he still went along with it), all the homophobic comments etc. The argument of him acting like a normal teenager rings pretty hollow to me too, that doesn't make me like him. Also unlike Ryuji (whom everyone has been comparing him to recently), he isn't even very likable in his social link either.
  • I think some of the social links are definitely better(not all though). I've not experienced all of them since I'm on NG so a lot of time has been spent on social stats. However there is a few non-party links which are a bit different than the standard affair. I liked how Ai for example
    has a crush on which ever sports club guy you chose instead of the MC
    . Party member social links are basically what I remembered, I don't think any of them are particularly amazing.
  • Marie is bad. I don't know who thought she was a good addition, or a good character. Her existence meant there was some nice group scenes I guess... I'd have rather them just add the group scenes separately though. (and add Naoto in, since she doesn't get any appearance at all in the social link, outside of her being in the back drop for an "inter-level" meeting which was really weird since she'd never met Marie at that point)
  • I wish they'd have made Adachi's social link less obtuse to get. I don't like following guides. So it annoyed me when I looked up why in the world he wouldn't hang out with me most of the time. It turns out he has some really bizarre requirements like talking to him in the day or talking to him at night, and then if it is night you can't have leveled up a social link in the day. Who thought that was a good idea? I'm pretty disappointed that I've had to miss out on that social link because honestly it might have added some much needed background to Adachi.
    It also might have made the reveal less ehh...
  • I still feel character development is mostly shoved into social links, you see maybe a slight bit of change in how they act through the story, but not massively.
  • Summer pacing was really weird. Like people complain about 5 having rubbish pacing around that point, but so does Persona 4. I didn't really care at all about the Mitsuo plotline, you don't really learn that much at all about him and he's not exactly likable or relatable in anyway. The summer "fan-service"/"group" scenes are all back-loaded too, they all happen in the final week of summer.
  • I still don't think the main story is as strong, or the big reveals are as hard hitting, but that's a personal thing probably.
    I've never been very attached to Nanako (I've always felt she's a bit too "perfect" as a little sister and so it makes it really hard for me to believe in her as a character). With that in mind, the hospital scenes didn't really hit me as much as I think they really should have. Adachi reveal is kind of ehhh....

• Since I feel like I'm being too negative here's a big positive. I do love that there's a lot of scenes with the group just hanging out as friends, 3 and 5 both miss that. The only downside is still that Naoto joins really late. That said, I've heard they added more scenes around the start of next year, so *fingers crossed*

Oh, I agree with most of those things too. I could never write off any of things that Yosuke does as "just teenager things", and it's absolutely fair to criticize him for it. But still... I think people are forgetting just how strong of a character Yosuke in spite of his flaws. For most of the game, he's the dedicated, reliable and confident member of the group. Like, I was shocked at how competent he was during the early-game upon replaying. And man, I disagree about Yosuke not being that great in his social link. When that character was good, he was good. Like I adore Ryuji, but his social link never, ever reached those heights.

But yes. Marie is a lizard person, dungeon play sucks, ymmv on the rest.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Oh, I agree with most of those things too. I could never write off any of things that Yosuke does as "just teenager things", and it's absolutely fair to criticize him for it. But still... I think people are forgetting just how strong of a character Yosuke in spite of his flaws. For most of the game, he's the dedicated, reliable and confident member of the group. Like, I was shocked at how competent he was during the early-game upon replaying. And man, I disagree about Yosuke not being that great in his social link. When that character was good, he was good. Like I adore Ryuji, but his social link never, ever reached those heights.

Yeah Yosukes shitty parts are beyond shitty but when he's actually being a character he's actually phenomenal, the game clearly wanted you to start off by thinking he was annoying and a pain. Yet as the game progressed and he opens up to you in his slink he really manages to feel like he basically becomes your brother. Ryuji was an awesome character too but his slink was really just about him coming to terms with an awful decision he made and how he got baited into doing something that ruined a lot of people's opportunities. His slink was a mixture of being about redemption and moving on with what was truly important to him. It was touching and wonderful but you were basically just there to guide him, you don't really grow as super close as you do with yosuke during the slink. If anything your relationship with ryuji really feels like it grows throughout the main story not the slink but that's kind of the strength of P5, the main story delivery not the confidants.

Guess Who

Banned
Yosuke is one of the most grating examples of a problem that's nearly ever-present in Persona, which is the push-pull relationship between "do we want to write real, relatable characters?" and "do we want to write an anime comedy?"

Zafir

But yes. Marie is a lizard person, dungeon play sucks, ymmv on the rest.

I'll agree that moment in his social link is quite sincere and saddening, but I dunno the rest of it I just found it really hard to care. I feel like even when he is a bit reliable at the start, he still seems a bit obnoxious to me. *shrug*

Thinking about it I feel like that bit in the SL almost should have been in the main story, it might have made me less irritated every time he's obsessing about Saki-senpai this, Saki-senpai that.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Yosuke is one of the most grating examples of a problem that's nearly ever-present in Persona, which is the push-pull relationship between "do we want to write real, relatable characters?" and "do we want to write an anime comedy?"

Well I would say he's second only to teddie in that regard, but yeah this is definitely a huge issue with the hashino games.

Lunar15

Oh god this is the truest statement.

Zafir

Yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head there.

PK Gaming

Yosuke: My dad sucks, Junes sucks, this town sucks, my life sucks, I wish I had something that could give my life meaning.

Also Yosuke:

tumblr_ltfi6rbGmg1qd2tiuo1_500.gif

I have never heard such succinct truth about Persona in my life.

The only thing Yosuke does that really bugs me (the hot springs scene doesn't count because it's non canon. Because I just decided.) is where he gets the swimsuits for the girls on the camping trip. The whole thing is so bizarre, from him initiating it to them following through with it.

A man after my own heart!

Dantis

The only thing Yosuke does that really bugs me (the hot springs scene doesn't count because it's non canon. Because I just decided.) is where he gets the swimsuits for the girls on the camping trip. The whole thing is so bizarre, from him initiating it to them following through with it.

Playing P5 has made me realize how important fixed camera angles were to establishing an iconic feel for Inaba. They absolutely should have gone this route for P5, if only to better establish the illusion that it's a gigantic city.

The moments where the camera is fixed are also where it looks its best. The composition on the hangout scenes is brilliant.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
At 93 hours, in the final room with enemies before the safe room pre end-boss, I get my first hostage situation. They asked for 301 Yen, I currently have over 2m.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
It was raining like hell today and I had some top sirloin that I really wanted to BBQ so instead I attempted a beef bowl Aiya style :p

I kinda had to improvise everything since I didn't have like 60% of the ingredients needed (the broth was totally improved from beef stock, soy sauce and cider vinegar and I had to use red onions) not to mention I didn't go full mega beef bowl since you can still see the rice (and I wanted to save some for later) but it was so tasty.

PK Gaming

It was raining like hell today and I had some top sirloin that I really wanted to BBQ so instead I attempted a beef bowl Aiya style :p

I kinda had to improvise everything since I didn't have like 60% of the ingredients needed (the broth was totally improved from beef stock, soy sauce and cider vinegar and I had to use red onions) not to mention I didn't go full mega beef bowl since you can still see the rice (and I wanted to save some for later) but it was so tasty.

Damn, that actually looks really good. I really need to try making one of those one day, haha.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Damn, that actually looks really good. I really need to try making one of those one day, haha.

Haha thanks! It's super easy you should go for it, the hardest part is honestly just slicing the meat thinly so it cooks in the broth. Literally all you do is slice up some quality beef, get some beef stock, soy sauce, rice vinegar and a bit of sugar mix it all together and boil it with some onions. Only once it reaches a boil then you can dump the meat in and it cooks within like 3 minutes and serve it over rice.

Lunar15

Y'all overhyped Rivers in the Desert.

Still an amazing song, but it's no Almighty or Mist. I bet remixes of it will be great though.

DNAbro

Y'all overhyped Rivers in the Desert.

Still an amazing song, but it's no Almighty or Mist. I bet remixes of it will be great though.

While i think both Almighty and Fog/Mist are some of Meguro's best guitar shredding, Rivers may be one of the best vocal songs.

Lunar15

While i think both Almighty and Fog/Mist are some of Meguro's best guitar shredding, Rivers may be one of the best vocal songs.

It's catchy, no doubt. It just felt like it was a perpetual build up to an awesome guitar solo that never hit.

Sophia

It's catchy, no doubt. It just felt like it was a perpetual build up to an awesome guitar solo that never hit.

A guitar solo would be out of place, given that Rivers is reliant on the strength of Lyn's vocals. The build up is basically to the final chorus.

Jintor

rivers in the desert's fucking sick bassline is so deep though. and then, as whippy says, the disco violins

fuck yeah

Mediking

How do you guys even know the name of songs in this game???

I've beaten Palace 4. Have I heard this River song yet?

And I know I keep saying this but I still have yet to hear a really good and amazing song from P5 that I wanna put on my fone. And thats coming from a guy with P3, P3P, P4G and P4DAN (Heartbreak remix is amazing) songs on his cellphone.

Jintor

you buy the ost dawg

Life Will Change (the heist theme) is definitely something on my phone lol. It's so hype for running.

DNAbro

you buy the ost dawg

Life Will Change (the heist theme) is definitely something on my phone lol. It's so hype for running.

or listen to it on youtube.

I remember when the game leaked a few days early in Japan and people ripped the OST from the PS3 version and none of the tracks were named, just numbered. I still have it like that on my phone.

OrionX

Went back and listened to some of the older boss theme's to make sure, and Rivers in the Desert is definitely my favorite. The vocals probably play a big part, since I always prefer my Persona songs that way. I mean, I wasn't even that excited to fight those last couple of bosses at first, but when that song started playing I was like LET'S DO THIS SHIT.

Admittedly there's a hell of a lot of thread I haven't read, but in terms of references to previous games I've seen people talk about references to the P4 cast through checking the TV, but not seen anybody mention this fucking thing, which I end up looking at whenever I get sent to bed early:

jFFhKVO.jpg

That thing sat in my room for like half a year and I never noticed... lol

Lunar15

Listening to Rivers in the Desert outside of the game, I like it more. I just don't think it's an incredibly fitting boss theme. It's a little too subdued and the strength is in the vocals which get washed out by sound effects.

Top Bottom