• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Mediking

Today's my birthday, everybody!!! I'm now 23!!!! >.<

Does Persona 5 care? Do I get some kinda cool Persona or something?

Lynx_7

Today's my birthday, everybody!!! I'm now 23!!!! >.<

Does Persona 5 care? Do I get some kinda cool Persona or something?

Happy birthday, man! Didn't know your birthday was in the same month as mine. lol

Persona 5 will congratulate you with a special event where you get to shake Minato's hand and hang out with him and Elizabeth.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Happy birthday Mediking!

I'm sitting at work, allegedly working, when it suddenly dawns on me that as I was completing as much of the compendium as I could before finishing P5, I never got around to fusing Alice.

I'm assuming that she's a special fusion with two Personas, much the same way that Barong and Rangda make Shiva in every game. Does anybody know what I need to fuse her, and if there are others that are 'hidden' special fusions in this?

asagami_

Banned
Happy birthday Mediking!

I'm sitting at work, allegedly working, when it suddenly dawns on me that as I was completing as much of the compendium as I could before finishing P5, I never got around to fusing Alice.

I'm assuming that she's a special fusion with two Personas, much the same way that Barong and Rangda make Shiva in every game. Does anybody know what I need to fuse her, and if there are others that are 'hidden' special fusions in this?

Nebiros x Belial

Why it not surprise me? :p

https://chinhodado.github.io/persona5_calculator/#/persona/Alice

Lunar15

Kinda surprising to me that this thread hasn't reached OT10, but I guess we've all been in the main board actually talking about the game. But even then, the thread slowed down before release. I'm guessing it's because the game came out japan and everyone went on lockdown.

I expect the thread to pick up the pace when the concert rolls around.

So when the inevitable P5 fighting game rolls around, what are we expecting? Sprite work or GGxrd style 3D models with lighting effects?

Im hoping for the latter, expecting the former though.

Nimby

Banned
So when the inevitable P5 fighting game rolls around, what are we expecting? Sprite work or GGxrd style 3D models with lighting effects?

It's probably going to be the latter, I would honestly expect any actual new fighter by Arcsys to go Xrd graphics.

Whichever form the graphics take I hope they take a page from Persona Q and make the characters appear as they originally appeared instead of coming up with dumb new designs and personas (with a small "p" there) for the past characters like Arena and Ultimax did for the P3 characters.

Yes, this again.

EDIT: Maxed Lovers today, and the awakened Persona designs just keep winning. Love this stuff.

Lunar15

Whichever form the graphics take I hope they take a page from Persona Q and make the characters appear as they originally appeared instead of coming up with dumb new designs and personas (with a small "p" there) for the past characters like Arena and Ultimax did for the P3 characters.

Yes, this again.

EDIT: Maxed Lovers today, and the awakened Persona designs just keep winning. Love this stuff.

I like pretty much all of them save for Futaba's and Makoto's.

Sophia

Happy Birthday, Mediking.

If Atlus doesn't pony up the budget for GGXrd style work in light of Persona 5's success, that would be awful ;_;

FluxWaveZ

If Atlus doesn't pony up the budget for GGXrd style work in light of Persona 5's success, that would be awful ;_;

I don't think the barrier would really be money. Team Red for -SIGN- was composed of around 34 people, with an active dev. time of only 1.5 years. I bet creating those high-res sprites isn't substantially cheaper than creating the Softimage models, either, especially since the ASW sprites requires rudimentary models in the first place.

If there is one, I believe the barrier would be talent and creative in nature. If Team Blue would be the ones heading the development of a P5A, they might not have the know-how or experience to make a game that looks like Xrd. Some higher-up in the production process could also aim for the 2D look for P5A over the 3D one, for whatever reason.

Lunar15

Sorry, they used all the money on those super amazing and entirely necessary anime cutscenes, lavishly produced by Production I.G

Sophia

I don't think the barrier would really be money. Team Red for -SIGN- was composed of around 34 people, with an active dev. time of only 1.5 years. I bet creating those high-res sprites isn't substantially cheaper than creating the Softimage models, either, especially since the ASW sprites requires rudimentary models in the first place.

If there is one, I believe the barrier would be talent and creative in nature. If Team Blue would be the ones heading the development of a P5A, they might not have the know-how or experience to make a game that looks like Xrd. Some higher-up in the production process could also aim for the 2D look for P5A over the 3D one, for whatever reason.

Well, hopefully Team Blue can overcome that if it's an issue. The benefits of 3D for a Persona game are pretty obvious (especially for DLC outfits!), and we've already had two games in the BlazBlue style/engine.

Sorry, they used all the money on those super amazing and entirely necessary anime cutscenes, lavishly produced by Production I.G

You monster.

Mediking

Thanks for the birthday wishes!!! Love you guys :D

Either way... I hope for simple and easily accesible controls. I tried the demo of GGXRD on PS4 and I tried so hard but fighting is just hard. The tutorial was nice but actual fighting is so tough for me.

You throw shots but there are good anime cutscenes like the one when you meet Ann/Kamoshida and the desert ones.

That's just fighting games, you only get better through practice. P4U had the auto combo mash one button system, but you accumulated chip damage from using it and the trade off for meter was worthless because the damage was heavily scaled in auto combos. I don't like autocombos, but I'm glad that if they're in they are not optimal at all.

I rather prefer the Xrd/Blazblue system of having Technical and Stylish. Technical is just the normal game that's gonna take practice, and stylish is just "mash a button and get a combo" rather than putting the casual mechanic in the regular game itself.

johnsmith

remember me
OSKqj44.png

DNAbro

Hmm Persona 6 when?

Realistically when do you guys think we might start hearing about it? My guess is 2019, planned release in 2020 with a delay 2021. 2018 will be focused on spin-offs.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Hmm Persona 6 when?

Realistically when do you guys think we might start hearing about it? My guess is 2019, planned release in 2020 with a delay 2021. 2018 will be focused on spin-offs.

Considering how they now have an engine and most of the demon's modeled with all the spells and stuff programmed and they wanted to really pump one out asap we could see an announcement next year and possibly see a release by 2021.

P3 and P4 released what like 2 years apart? Granted the tech was much simpler and they didn't have nearly as much environmental detail to model and texture.

Yes, this again.

Nooo...
Not ANOTHER time rift bullshit!

I like pretty much all of them save for Futaba's and Makoto's.

I like all of them except for Morgana's.

DNAbro

Considering how they now have an engine and most of the demon's modeled with all the spells and stuff programmed and they wanted to really pump one out asap we could see an announcement next year and possibly see a release by 2021.

P3 and P4 released what like 2 years apart? Granted the tech was much simpler and they didn't have nearly as much environmental detail to model and texture.

Yeah I feel that's realistic.

I'm guessing that their major console titles leading up to it are going to be something like this.
2017: 13 Sentinels (Vanillaware but you know Atlus published)
2018: Persona spinoffs/re releases
2019: SMT HD
2020: Re:Fantasy
2021: Persona 6

I doubt we could see a 2 year turn around time like P3->4. I feel like 5 years is reasonable.

Considering that Atlus seems to like announcing their high profile games with teasers fairly early on, guess we could hear something about Persona 6 in a year or two.

I doubt there's any concrete plans for it yet though, at least going by the last interview, and we know there's other Persona titles in development as well as other Productions working on large scale games. So nothing any time soon at least.

Yeah I feel that's realistic.

I'm guessing that their major console titles leading up to it are going to be something like this.
2017: 13 Sentinels (Vanillaware but you know Atlus published)
2018: Persona spinoffs/re releases
2019: SMT HD
2020: Re:Fantasy
2021: Persona 6

I doubt we could see a 2 year turn around time like P3->4. I feel like 5 years is reasonable.

I think we'll be getting at least one spinoff this year, and maybe other stuff announced/teased at the concert for next year.

Guess Who

Banned
P4 planning and development began pretty much immediately after P3, and with pretty much all the same people. From the way Atlus has talked, however, if P6 is in development at all it's in very early pre-production. Tons of the P5 team (not just the three leads, but a lot of the less notable names too) jumped ship to Re:Fantasy, and they're hiring heavily.

I wouldn't expect them to talk about P6 in any kind of detail for at least two years or so, and it'll be 3-5 before it releases.

DNAbro

Considering that Atlus seems to like announcing their high profile games with teasers fairly early on, guess we could hear something about Persona 6 in a year or two.

I doubt there's any concrete plans for it yet though, at least going by the last interview, and we know there's other Persona titles in development as well as other Productions working on large scale games. So nothing any time soon at least.

I think we'll be getting at least one spinoff this year, and maybe other stuff announced/teased at the concert for next year.

I think announcement will come this year, but release for spinoff 2018. Concert is in August and I believe there is usually at least 6 months between announcement and release. I could also be completely wrong on that.

Sophia

P4 planning and development began pretty much immediately after P3, and with pretty much all the same people. From the way Atlus has talked, however, if P6 is in development at all it's in very early pre-production. Tons of the P5 team (not just the three leads, but a lot of the less notable names too) jumped ship to Re:Fantasy, and they're hiring heavily.

I wouldn't expect them to talk about P6 in any kind of detail for at least two years or so, and it'll be 3-5 before it releases.

Related to this, but I don't think we're gonna see a "Persona 6" until after Re:Fantasy is out. It would be silly to self-compete with a new IP like that.

Lynx_7

Related to this, but I don't think we're gonna see a "Persona 6" until after Re:Fantasy is out. It would be silly to self-compete with a new IP like that.

I'm willing to bet P6 will come first. They can reuse a lot of assets (like all the HD demon models) and the formula is pretty much set. I expect Re:Fantasy to take longer to develop since they're starting from scratch.

Rainy

Banned
Out of Persona 3-5, which did you guys like the best? I'm currently playing through 5 (40 hrs in, 4 palaces done and really enjoying it, might be my favorite) but just wanted to see what peeps in the community thread thought :p

Might give 3/4 a replay after 5 actually.

Mediking

Out of Persona 3-5, which did you guys like the best? I'm currently playing through 5 (40 hrs in, 4 palaces done and really enjoying it, might be my favorite) but just wanted to see what peeps in the community thread thought :p

Persona 3 FES is my favorite game of all time and really showed me that gaming can be so much more. My avatar, Minato, symoblizes how much I love Persona 3 and Atlus in general.

Persona 4 Golden has an amazing soundtrack and apparently is MANY people's favorite game. I like P4 but I dont love it. Maybe I'd appreciate it more if I'd replay it....

Persona 5 is amazing. Amazing presenatation, immersion, etc. Havent beat it yet so my thoughts can change in the future. But I think the future of Persona is very bright thanks to P5. Joker truly is a successor of Minato and Yu. Hopefully an awesome female Persona lead can surpass Joker. My big complaint? I may have bought almost all the DLC costumes but the way Atlus handled DLC costumes is very unfair and expensive.

4G's getting a replay sometime this year. I get the feeling that the atmosphere will be a bit more enjoyable than P5's.

P5 to me feels like you have no time to do anything, despite maxing the confidants supposedly being so easy.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

It's so hard to choose lmao. I'm currently replaying P3FES for the first time in about a decade and my opinion of this game has sky rocketed past what I originally thought of the game! I used to classify P3 as "hey this is pretty sweet" but now I'm leaning more towards "goddamn incredible". All 3 are honestly so incredible so it really is mostly preference. If I had to choose though I think P4 is still my favorite of the three but thats mostly because P4 is probably one of my favorite games of all time.

EMT0

Banned

The wording on Hashino's pseudo-farewell letter on Persona 5 had me thinking that their intent was to have new/other talent try their hand at the Persona formula. Or at least, that was what I got from it.

For me, 4 remains not only my favorite Persona game but also my personal GOAT. It all comes down to the cast being all interesting and meshing well together to create memorable scene after memorable scene that legitimately left me depressed for a few days once it was over due to missing their shenanigans after about a week of daily play. I can honestly say that my least favorite Persona 4 characters(I like them all, but if we're putting them from best to least best...), Yukiko or Rise, trump almost any individual in either 3 or 4's cast for me. I think the only characters I like anywhere near as much are Makoto, Yusuke, Aigis, Elizabeth, Ken, and Akihiko. And I needed the P3 movies to fully flesh out Ken and Akihiko for me to really like them beyond finding them okay.

Sophia

I'm willing to bet P6 will come first. They can reuse a lot of assets (like all the HD demon models) and the formula is pretty much set. I expect Re:Fantasy to take longer to develop since they're starting from scratch.

The wording on Hashino's pseudo-farewell letter on Persona 5 had me thinking that their intent was to have new/other talent try their hand at the Persona formula. Or at least, that was what I got from it.

It's possible that Persona 6 could come first. But they won't overlap each other, you can be sure of that. They'e end up competing with each other in awkward ways. So I imagine whichever one comes out first is the one we'll hear a lot of.

Lynx_7

It's possible that Persona 6 could come first. But they won't overlap each other, you can be sure of that. They'e end up competing with each other in awkward ways. So I imagine whichever one comes out first is the one we'll hear a lot of.
In an ideal world:

2017: SMT HD
2018: P6
2019: Re:Fantasy

In our reality, you can safely add 2 more years for each of them. :p
I'm being optimistic with P6 shooting for 2020

Plasma

Banned
Hmm Persona 6 when?

I think it will be at least 4 years but we'll get spin offs and a FES/Golden version of P5 in the mean time.

Lusankya

Man, one thing I wish they used from Persona 3 is the progression of the dungeon music. Mementos would be so much better if the track changed with each new section you explore.

Interstice of Time is such a brilliant song.

Little sceptical about approaching Persona 5. I finished all Personas bar Innocent Sin and love the series (best JRPG series for me) but I'm not sure if P5 can live up to my hype and my long, long wait. Played P4 in 2009 on day 1 EU release. I also feel like 100h is way too long for a game.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
It's a great game but I expect you probably would be over-hyped; I know I was having waited so damn long to get my hands on it.

P3 has a better story, P4 has a better cast and soundtrack, but P5 is by far the most fun to actually play - huge improvements in the dungeons being the main factor in this.

DNAbro

Little sceptical about approaching Persona 5. I finished all Personas bar Innocent Sin and love the series (best JRPG series for me) but I'm not sure if P5 can live up to my hype and my long, long wait. Played P4 in 2009 on day 1 EU release. I also feel like 100h is way too long for a game.

It took me 80 hours to get through it which was exactly my time with P4G.

Just get and enjoy and accept that as a huge fan it may not live up to your expectations, but it is also very good.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Speaking of completion times, either P3 the journey isn't as long as I remember it or things slow down much more than I recall later on.

I am about at the november full moon and I am 28hrs in. I feel like I will finish this in about 20hrs or so?

Lunar15

It's a stellar game with definite caveats and issues. YMMV on the story, cast, and soundtrack.

I'd say the most universally recognized problems is that it's a bit long and that dialogue can get gratingly repetitive, particularly towards the end.

Mediking

Man, one thing I wish they used from Persona 3 is the progression of the dungeon music. Mementos would be so much better if the track changed with each new section you explore.

Interstice of Time is such a brilliant song.

I love Mementos. Great way to train and practice new stuff. I'm also really addicted to it because I wanna find out what happened in Morgana's past.

Top Bottom