• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

I'm thinking of giving FES a replay, just to give it a chance to let it defend its spot as my #1 against P5 (which I think is my favorite now) but I don't know if I can go back to how frustrating some of the design decisions feel. Maybe I should do P3P instead.

My girlfriend is playing FES right now and it's her first MegaTen game, so I'm sure you can guess how well it's going. I've been backseating her and helping her get the hang of it, so it's kinda like I'm replaying it. I think once she gets through at least 3-5 (and hopefully I can convince her to play 1 and the 2 duology as well), we'll do a run of P3P Female route since I've actually never played it.

As for which ones I like best.

In a post-Hashino world:
P5 > P4 > P3

If I'm taking them all into account:
P5 > P2 > P4 > P3 > P1

1 is objectively not the greatest, but I still enjoyed my time with it. I have yet to read the supposedly excellent manga adaption. As for 2-5, all of them are crammed into my favorite game of all time slot just all labeled as #1 but listed in the order I prefer them haha.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I'm thinking of giving FES a replay, just to give it a chance to let it defend its spot as my #1 against P5 (which I think is my favorite now) but I don't know if I can go back to how frustrating some of the design decisions feel. Maybe I should do P3P instead.

Honestly going through FES again the only major things that bug me are not being able to choose inherit skills and lack of fast travel. Persona management is kind of a pain since using the compendium feels way more expensive than in previous titles. Other than that it's still a very solid experience, it holds up really well. Not being able to control your party sucks but the game is clearly balanced around it considering how you seemingly always go first on round one of a battle.

Honestly I am enjoying my play through of FES a magnitude more this time around than the first time I played it. I really like all the random difficulty spikes too lol.

Sophia

Speaking of completion times, either P3 the journey isn't as long as I remember it or things slow down much more than I recall later on.

I am about at the november full moon and I am 28hrs in. I feel like I will finish this in about 20hrs or so?

Getting 28 hours to November is pretty fast. It usually takes me about 60 hours to play through the game normally. You'll probably finish in 40 hours.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Getting 28 hours to November is pretty fast. It usually takes me about 60 hours to play through the game normally. You'll probably finish in 40 hours.

That's the power of hold triangle on a second play through when you already know the story and only watch your favorite parts I guess :p

I hope in Persona 6 they (massive Persona 3, 4, and 5 spoilers!!)
stop the Soejima "Surprise I'm Actually A Bad Guy" face - it was bad in P3 and P4, but P5 is on a whole nother level.

Lunar15

I hope in Persona 6 they (massive Persona 3, 4, and 5 spoilers!!)
stop the Soejima "Surprise I'm Actually A Bad Guy" face - it was bad in P3 and P4, but P5 is on a whole nother level.

Haha, I thought the same exact thing.

Despite loving P5 to death, I'm actually pretty much done with Persona unless they really want to mix it up again. The plot beats are shockingly similar even though tone and theme are different. My interest in Re:Fantasy has increased, though, so it's not necessarily a knock on the team or the directors.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
My idea of running through NG+ with everyone in swimsuits has fallen apart by the second palace.

They look too damn goofy. The stealth run is ridiculous without a flowing cape behind you. Stop adjusting your gloves - YOU ARE NOT WEARING ANY GLOVES. I barely used Yusuke during my first play through - I never noticed that he does the Naruto run, now it is all I see.

I'm buying the SMT IV DLC. I realise this makes me part of the problem, but I love the samurai outfit. :(

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Psst, we were talking about Persona 3 there. :p
Speaking of which, looks like my ETA to finishing is bumped back up to ~50 hours. I spent like 5hrs screwing around in the velvet room (and blowing like a million yen on fusing stuff) after spending 8 hours screwing around in tartarus.

You know what's something I kinda think is a fairly big waste in P3? Sunday hangouts. I don't think they've ever been a good idea. You miss out on way too much stuff, not to mention you're basically unable to rank up sun / hermit if you agree to one.

lilty

Well I finally finished the game tonight. 92 hours. I don't think it's my favourite in the series, but it's still one of the best games I've ever played. It's crazy to think how hyped up I was for this game, and how in almost every respect it lived up to my expectations. Obviously I'm honeymoon-phasing a bit, but I don't think my opinion will change too much in NG+.

Feels good to finally be able to read this thread and stop worrying about being spoiled. I only had one thing spoiled for me pre-launch, and unfortunately it was a huge spoiler, but overall I got to go in fairly blind.

Sophia

Oh, sorry, well my FES run took me over 100 hours, so...I guess I just play these things really slowly. Don't remember how long it took me on vanilla P3, but it was definitely above 60.

I've played through P3 so many times I don't remember my first run. I think my last Persona 3 Portable run was around 60-70 hours? I didn't finish the final boss on that tho...

Do you guys think atlus will ever release a full version of the FES opening song?

Hee-ho trick question the answer is no ;___;

I think about this everyday.

Honestly going through FES again the only major things that bug me are not being able to choose inherit skills and lack of fast travel. Persona management is kind of a pain since using the compendium feels way more expensive than in previous titles. Other than that it's still a very solid experience, it holds up really well. Not being able to control your party sucks but the game is clearly balanced around it considering how you seemingly always go first on round one of a battle.

Honestly I am enjoying my play through of FES a magnitude more this time around than the first time I played it. I really like all the random difficulty spikes too lol.

Hmm..Maybe I'll do FES and then a feMC run in P3P. For extra Akihiko goodness.

How??? o_O

The last time I saw someone play at such a pace, it turned out that they apparently didn't know that the Compendium existed.

I don't know..? I mean I'm playing on Hard so that probably makes battles longer, but it seems like a normal pace to me. I don't use a guide or try to rush through. I've wiped a few times, but only lost a few hours to that. I guess I'd have to watch Let's Plays to see what others are doing.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I don't know..? I mean I'm playing on Hard so that probably makes battles longer, but it seems like a normal pace to me. I don't use a guide or try to rush through. I've wiped a few times, but only lost a few hours to that. I guess I'd have to watch Let's Plays to see what others are doing.

I took longer than most people seem to (finished at around 98 hours), mainly because I took the decision to grind for a few things, but I definitely know how people could take a lot longer with it. I barely interacted with anybody outside of the social links - it's not spoiling anything to say that on the last day you get to walk around, there are a bunch of NPCs in Yongen telling you what they're going to do next with their lives. I had no idea of any of their backstories because I'd never talked to any of them before then.

Now that I've actually finished P5, I thought I'd rank the Persona games too. I've separated different versions of the same game, but only because I think they're different enough to stand on their own strengths.

P3FES >> P3P > P5=P4G > P4 > P1 > P2IS

FES is my GOAT, and that hasn't changed. P3P is second because of its awesome FeMC route, but really held back by the removal of proper tactics and The Answer. P5's script bugged me constantly, but the gameplay was by far the best yet. P4G adds a ton of unnecessary-to-bad story scenes to P4, but since P4's story didn't do anything for me in the first place, the gameplay improvements bump it up. I really enjoyed my time with P1, though looking back I can't really remember anything about it. Finally, I've tried to play through IS three times and have never really gotten anywhere. I respect it, but it's just really not for me.

And here's all Persona games that I've played in a tier list, because why not:

S Tier: P3FES
A+ Tier: P3P
A Tier: P5, P4G
B+ Tier: PQ
B Tier: P4, DAN
B- Tier: P1, Arena
Not-for-me Tier: P2IS
Sho Minazuki Tier: Ultimax

Further update on P5 playthrough. It's like 11/14. Reached the treasure room of the sixth palace but haven't yet sent the calling card. All social stats maxed.

Priestess--MAX
Empress--5
Emperor--MAX
Hierophant--MAX
Lovers--MAX
Chariot--MAX
Hermit--MAX
Fortune--7 (Request accepted)
Strength--MAX
Hanged Man--7 (Request accepted)
Death--9
Temperance--MAX
Devil--7 (Request accepted)
Tower--3
Star--8
Moon--MAX
Sun--MAX

I think I'm kicking butt. If my feeling on how much time I have left is accurate, I think I can potentially max out all save Tower, with Empress currently being my obvious focal point.

Sorry, Tower, but unless someone tells me that the reward for finishing your S.Link is your hat and I get to wear it all the time you're low priority.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Sorry, Tower, but unless someone tells me that the reward for finishing your S.Link is your hat and I get to wear it all the time you're low priority.

I think you have a fairly good chance of maxing them all out to be honest. I would focus tower because you can knock out empress really quickly (as long as you have a matching arcana I don't even think you need to use fortune readings to guarantee a rank up. You'll be cutting it real close lol.

But considering how you only really have empress, one rank of death and tower as your day time confidants. You might be able to pull off a 100% run.

I think I hit 100% around the second week of december? The last one I ranked up was empress :p

Unless you really absolutely adore haru I would have to say that Tower is much more useful in NG+ haha.

I don't adore Haru really at all but I just don't feel right unless I've maxed out all the party members. I've never played a NG+ in Persona either, so that's not really a priority for me. But the outlook does seem kind of tricky from my vantage point--Tower's availability seems all over the place to me, I don't really have it pinpointed down.

I think the fact that I'm this close to potentially maxing everyone speaks to how lenient this game is with your time.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I think the fact that I'm this close to potentially maxing everyone speaks to how lenient this game is with your time.

Oh definitely, I basically stumbled my way into a 100% run on my first play through, first time I've ever done that. Normally NG is for social stats + some of my favorite characters and NG+ is for 100% social links.

But in P5 everything lined up reallllll nice.

I'd buy a Get Smoked hat.

Yes, and I don't even wear hats.

I think P5 does a good job of making NG+ seem worthwhile. There are a lot of little side activities that I avoided because they didn't seem especially time efficient, but there's just enough depth to them to make me want to try 'em out when I don't have to worry about maxing social stats. Stuff like baseball, fishing, and taking maxed confidants to different hangouts to see what kind of scenes you get.

Mediking

Maybe... I'm losing it. Maybe I'm grasping at straws.... but I remember that Naoto mentions the Phantom Thieves in Persona 4.... so I've been keeping in the back of my mind to look for any clues for a future Persona game or something.

I finally managed to get into the Sports Gym in Persona 5 and on the wall is this poster of this demon (well... not normal) looking dude with no head but green and black marks running up and down his torso like that other SMT guy from a previous entry (forget his name). And there's small text of "Forget His Life" or "Forget to live" or something.

It's prolly nothing. Just something I noticed when Joker is running on the treadmill. Lol

Maybe... I'm losing it. Maybe I'm grasping at straws.... but I remember that Naoto mentions the Phantom Thieves in Persona 4.... so I've been keeping in the back of my mind to look for any clues for a future Persona game or something.

I finally managed to get into the Sports Gym in Persona 5 and on the wall is this poster of this demon (well... not normal) looking dude with no head but green and black marks running up and down his torso like that other SMT guy from a previous entry (forget his name). And there's small text of "Forget His Life" or "Forget to live" or something.

It's prolly nothing. Just something I noticed when Joker is running on the treadmill. Lol

-_-

Phantom Thief. Singular.
And it's a smokescreen set up by her granddad to make her regain her enthusiasm.
So no pre-emptive P5 cameos to be had.

Oh definitely, I basically stumbled my way into a 100% run on my first play through, first time I've ever done that. Normally NG is for social stats + some of my favorite characters and NG+ is for 100% social links.

But in P5 everything lined up reallllll nice.
It's not even that there are more days available (in fact, I feel relatively sure there are fewer truly free days in P5 than P4, but someone would have to do an actual comparison). I think the biggest thing is the S.Links being more evenly split between day and night, combined with some of the Fortune and Temperance's S.Link bonuses (Affinity Reading is nuts). And I might be wrong but it feels like there are more S.Links that give social stats than there were before.

When I think about it I think the heavy social stat gating in P5's S.Links is a direct attempt at balancing this larger amount of freedom.

I think P5 does a good job of making NG+ seem worthwhile. There are a lot of little side activities that I avoided because they didn't seem especially time efficient, but there's just enough depth to them to make me want to try 'em out when I don't have to worry about maxing social stats. Stuff like baseball, fishing, and taking maxed confidants to different hangouts to see what kind of scenes you get.
The tough thing for me starting a NG+ in like anything is that I basically never start up an RPG again just after finishing it (doubly so now, I'm kind of burnt on long single player games due to jumping right into P5 after having spent like a hundred hours on Breath of the Wild), and when I do feel the urge to replay them I typically want to experience the game again as I originally did, so I just start a new file.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
It's not even that there are more days available (in fact, I feel relatively sure there are fewer truly free days in P5 than P4, but someone would have to do an actual comparison). I think the biggest thing is the S.Links being more evenly split between day and night, combined with some of the Fortune and Temperance's S.Link bonuses (Affinity Reading is nuts). And I might be wrong but it feels like there are more S.Links that give social stats than there were before.

When I think about it I think the heavy social stat gating in P5's S.Links is a direct attempt at balancing this larger amount of freedom.

You're definitely right, like for example when starting my current play through of P3 I saw that tartarus is only available at night so I thought "wow this is gonna be amazing!" but planning in P3 is actually ridiculously hard because only 2 social links are available at night, the bulk of night time is for building up courage and charm.

P5 has soooo many night time slinks to do and they're all pretty decently staggered so you can work on people pretty evenly throughout the week. You also definitely have way less full free days in P5 than you do in P3 and P4G. With each palace taking up honestly about 5-6 days just based on investigation / treasure route / calling card. That's basically 7 weeks out of the game you're straight up devoting to this stuff.

Yeah, I definitely got the same impression that the confidants give out way more social stats than either P3 or P4. In fact, I can't think of any s. link that routinely gave you social stats. But I seem to remember there being more chances to gain social stats in story conversations in P3 and P4, whereas I can't remember that happening in P5.
The tough thing for me starting a NG+ in like anything is that I basically never start up an RPG again just after finishing it (doubly so now, I'm kind of burnt on long single player games due to jumping right into P5 after having spent like a hundred hours on Breath of the Wild), and when I do feel the urge to replay them I typically want to experience the game again as I originally did, so I just start a new file.
P3 was especially bad for that, since you kept the same character level and were basically unkillable. At least in P4 and P5 you have the chance of pretending like it's the first time by using appropriately leveled personas. I definitely see where you're coming from though.

Sophia

I haven't added it up, but my gut is telling me that P5 probably has the fewest free days of all the modern Persona games. There's also taking in consideration the amount of time needed due to the obnoxious mid-confident stat gates too.

PK Gaming

Persona 4 musings:

There's a part where the culprit sends a warning to our intrepid protagonist

"don't rescue anymore"

VqjYFLo.png

Here's the problem
Adachi wants the game to keep going, so why bother dissuading our dear protagonists from rescuing? If it's a taunt it's an idiotic one, since this brilliant move helps implicate himself down the line. It's reminiscent of fogman (who is also Adachi) who continually complains about the Investigation Team saving people. Lol

That aside, it's remarkable just how well put together P4 is despite lacking a design doc. That game's truly special.

Persona 4 musings:

There's a part where the culprit sends a warning to our intrepid protagonist

"don't rescue anymore"

Here's the problem
Adachi wants the game to keep going, so why bother dissuading our dear protagonists from rescuing? If it's a taunt it's an idiotic one, since this brilliant move helps implicate himself down the line. It's reminiscent of fogman (who is also Adachi) who continually complains about the Investigation Team saving people. Lol

That aside, it's remarkable just how well put together P4 is despite lacking a design doc. That game's truly special.

Crazy idea.
Maybe the crazy guy who kills people out of boredom thinks the game is more interesting when someone dies? Media reaction and all that? If the IT save someone, it's like it never happened.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Man graduation day in P3 always gets me choked up real good. My eyes really do feel heavy...man what a fantastic game. I really got a whole new perspective on P3 after this play through and I love it so much more now. Nyx is such an incredible finale it's like a 45 minute gauntlet event, the stakes, the atmosphere, the tension, everything culminating on one last chance. It's so well delivered.

That being siad, here is a pro life tip for playing persona 3, don't start nyx at 4am.

I guess I should go through The Answer now, since that is the real reason I did this repeat play through haha. Even though what I really wanna do is replay P4 now!

cj_iwakura

Okay, P5's over, I'm back now.

The honest trailer was too good, omg.
"real nerds play DemiKids, dark version only."

That's so me.

Huh.
Well don't that just make no lick of sense... :/

I always just assumed he sent the letter because he was getting bored and wanted to actually see someone die? But yeah there are problems there lol.

I guess adachi only actually threw three people in the TV, yamano, saki and mitsuo. So then you gotta wonder how committed he actually was to his game lol

Yeah, interesting how he calls it a "game" when he spends a large part of it just watching.

Or does he know he's a character in a JRPG? :p

I guess he at least knew that the letter wouldn't actually get them to stop. So probably a taunt or something, even if it was a dumb one, not like he's the greatest criminal mastermind ever.

PK Gaming

I guess he at least knew that the letter wouldn't actually get them to stop. So probably a taunt or something, even if it was a dumb one, not like he's the greatest criminal mastermind ever.

Yeah, they speculate that only someone who was incredibly confidant about not being found would send that letter, and it would work as an effective taunt. That said, it backfired spectacularly, lmao.

Man graduation day in P3 always gets me choked up real good. My eyes really do feel heavy...man what a fantastic game. I really got a whole new perspective on P3 after this play through and I love it so much more now. Nyx is such an incredible finale it's like a 45 minute gauntlet event, the stakes, the atmosphere, the tension, everything culminating on one last chance. It's so well delivered.

That being siad, here is a pro life tip for playing persona 3, don't start nyx at 4am.

I guess I should go through The Answer now, since that is the real reason I did this repeat play through haha. Even though what I really wanna do is replay P4 now!

Your impressions have been an enjoyable read. I really do need to get around to playing The Answer one day, and give P3P a try with the FeMC.

P3 truly is the goat (imo)!

Nimby

Banned
If we get P5 Arena [Story spoilers for P5]
I want Akechi in, but maybe some sort of side story that happens before he turns on us, or he is the main villain. Also Lavenza or the Twins? Basically make the Arena games side stories/alt universe things so we can get all the characters.

Potential roster: Joker, Skull, Morgana, Panther, Fox, Queen, Navi (hopefully not ditched first iteration like Rise), Noir, Crow, The Velvet Twins (potentially could be split). That's 10 (11) characters, Xrd launched in arcades with 14 I believe, 17 with Elphelt, Sin, and Leo but they were DLC.

Top Bottom