• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Anyone else think the reason they treated Akira different from Yu and P3MC is cause Atlus made a big deal of their big-name cast?

Just a way to validate the money they spent on someone who's supposed to not say that much?

Sophia

Anyone else think the reason they treated Akira different from Yu and P3MC is cause Atlus made a big deal of their big-name cast?

Just a way to validate the money they spent on someone who's supposed to not say that much?

I mean, when you get Jun Fukuyama as your protagonist, you might as well make use of him. :p

Lynx_7

Hiring Jun Fukuyama to voice a guy who doesn't speak more than a dozen lines in-game feels like such a waste. Guess they were already thinking ahead for the anime adaptation and spin-offs.

Hiring Jun Fukuyama to voice a guy who doesn't speak more than a dozen lines in-game feels like such a waste. Guess they were already thinking ahead for the anime adaptation and spin-offs.

Anyone remember that "It prints money!" meme with Iwata, Miyamoto and a DS?
Looks like we need one with Hashino, Soejima, and a P5 box.

Man they really should have just had him voiced. It's so dumb that he isn't. Those voice clips are really good. Xander Mobus is a pretty good voice actor.

Yeah, he showed how great he was with Dagda.

DNAbro

I agree that he's good at letting you expressing yourself and matching the game's themes, but there are 3 distinct issues with Joker that made it clear to me that the typical silent protagonist format was detrimental to the overall experience.

1) Scenes are incredibly dense in Persona 5. They tend to run much longer than they did in 3 or 4, which makes Joker's general silence stick out more than his predecessors. Instances where he should absolutely be talking
such as when Morgana runs away
are jarring, and his general lack of contributions to the many, many discussion heavy scenes plot scenes were pretty blatant. He's supposed to be the leader of the Phantom Thieves... why do I feel so disconnected and inept when compared to my peers? It's different from Persona 4, where you still felt like a leader and in control, due to scenes being far more brief/simple.

2) There is no choice. Dialogue prompts in the main story are exceedingly linear (moreso than they've ever been). When a character asks you a question in P5 the following prompt is the most pointless fucking thing ever, since you're presented with 3 variants of "Yes." It's different from how it was done in P4; when Yu was asked a question, you could A) Say the right thing, B) Say the wrong thing C) make some dumb joke. Sure, the end result is irrelevant to the grand scheme of things, but Yu was so good at letting the player consistently express themselves, while Joker is pretty much the same guy. P4 even had stat-locked dialogue prompts that could lead to numerous situations, while P5 outright removes them (barring like one instance?).

3) Yu's characterization in P4 is vague and ambiguous. Joker completely crosses that line. He's quiet in the real world and a flamboyant showoff in the metaverse. There's pretty much no room for interpretation here. In P3/P4, the protagonist's personality is kept vague, and characters rarely call out their relative silence. In Persona 5, well...

Ultimately, you can have a defined protagonist exist in a game about making choices. Catherine did it. Cold Steel does it. RPGs have literally been doing it forever with sidequests, and P5 even conveniently gives Joker a reason for wanting to spend time with people (incentive). In the end, Joker comes across as a character who wants to speak, but can't. Literally. Listen to some of his cut dialogue.

Man they really should have just had him voiced. It's so dumb that he isn't. Those voice clips are really good. Xander Mobus is a pretty good voice actor.

Kenaras

I agree that a voiced Joker would have been better, but then again I tend to prefer voiced protagonists in general. For example, when BioWare moved from silent protagonists to voiced protagonists I thought it made their dialogue scenes feel far more natural. I'm not entirely sure how it would feel in a Persona game, but I'd love to find out. Hopefully Atlus gives it a try eventually.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The problem isn't even that you aren't voiced it's how rare it is for the protagonist to interject. In P5 it really feels like you're a passive force in the game when it goes into story time mode. In P4 and P3 the protagonist was basically at the heart of the drama, whether it be running off to the beach to comfort yukari in P3, or nearly every single group scene in P4.

You might not be choosing to do the actions but your avatar in 3 and 4 is certainly doing a lot more during the big scenes.

Setsu00

the actual biggest difference between p3/p4 and p5 is that a lot of the descriptive dialogue is in first person rather than second. well, ok, it's split like 50-50 between "joker's thought bubble" and "morgana addressing him" but it's still a big difference!!

Is this the time where I point out that the shift from first person to second person was a localization decision? The text is worded the same in the Japanese version of P3, P4, and P5.

Is this the time where I point out that the shift from first person to second person was a localization decision? The text is worded the same in the Japanese version of P3, P4, and P5.

You could but then I would point out that P4 (and P3, iirc) uses regular dialogue boxes with an > for descriptions while P5 specifically uses a thought balloon over Joker's head.

Setsu00

You could but then I would point out that P4 (and P3, iirc) uses regular dialogue boxes with an > for descriptions while P5 specifically uses a thought balloon over Joker's head.

That's absolutely correct, I just don't see how using an ">" automatically indicates that the text is meant to be in second person rather than first person.

Bladenic

I got a phone cover with the P5 chariot drawing. The Le Chariot part is half cut at the bottom which sucks, plus I hate that I share my arcana (Cancer zodiac equivalent) with Ryuji and Chie :/

Lynx_7

I'm confused, some site says my zodiac equivalent would be the Hierophant, but this calculator says I'm Sun/Fortune/Magician at the same time? So do I hang out with papa coffee and dadtective, chill at (P3 Sun SL spoilers)
Akinari's grave
, meet up with Yosuke or what...?

This is an important issue.

Joqu

Hey, is there a good resource out there for all the Persona 1 and especially 2 artwork? Or do I just need to rely on the stuff that's on Megaten wiki? I'd buy official design works art books in a heartbeat but those don't exist. :s

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2017/06/...y-how-atlus-is-preparing-for-its-next-big-rpg

p5188151-1496880484696_1280w.jpg

Setsu00

Hey, is there a good resource out there for all the Persona 1 and especially 2 artwork? Or do I just need to rely on the stuff that's on Megaten wiki? I'd buy official design works art books in a heartbeat but those don't exist. :s

I don't think there is, unfortunately. The best thing you can find is the Persona World Guidance book, which does have some of the stuff that would be included with the later Persona artbooks.

I think there's something for Persona 2, thought one of the Pandemonium's or Kaneko books covered it, but had a look and couldn't find anything, so maybe it was something else. There's not much for P1.

Setsu00

I think there's something for Persona 2, thought one of the Pandemonium's or Kaneko books covered it, but had a look and couldn't find anything, so maybe it was something else. There's not much for P1.

Persona 2 was definitely covered in of Kaneko's artbooks, but I can't tell you which one.

Joqu

I don't think there is, unfortunately. The best thing you can find is the Persona World Guidance book, which does have some of the stuff that would be included with the later Persona artbooks.

That World Guidance book does look promising, but I doubt it's as complete as I'm hoping, it certainly doesn't look that exhaustive. Oh well.

Persona 2 was definitely covered in of Kaneko's artbooks, but I can't tell you which one.

Certainly looks like there's more for P2 than P1, yeah. I really don't know about any of the Pandemonium's covering the Kaneko art, but that would make sense. Still, there's a lot more to P2's art than only Kaneko's work. This is a little disappointing. :/

Hey Persona community! I finished P5 about a week ago and I've been having post depression ever since. It was just unlike any other game experience in JRPGS I have ever had. Blegh, it sucks cause I want to do a new game plus but I have shite on my backlog like two tales games (Berseria and Zestiria) and then there is FF XIV stormblood soon. I really really wish I could play p4 golden but I have no vita and I dont want one either. I will just have to wait for a port someday. But yeah my P5 total playtime was 104 hours or so and that's just insane value out of a JRPG. I want to get into the series more.... if only 4 golden was ported as it's the complete version of 4, I imagine. I played 4 back in the day but was never invested in it much. P5 was one of my most hyped up games and it lived up to expectations. I just wish we could have had a
full calendar year. I understand it's difficult to do this since the plot wraps up at the end of December but there's so much potential to have Sae as a confidant there. I'd scrap her interrogation rank ups and have her as an exclusive confidant somewhere after the interrogations and maybe as a love option since that was scrapped.

I'd also love it if we could get the girls acknowledging your
love if you choose it in the plot. It's just a bit jarring to know that your love is in your group but they don't ever act that way. They always act like "hey" as if they dont really know you just for plot purposes.
If they could blend in the romance to the plot I think it could create amazing possibilities such as jealousy scenes which could be hilarious. For example, Ryuji always brags about wanting women and he doesn't know you were with Makoto at the beach for example. It would be hilarious if he found out!

I would very much love a persona 5 arena/ultimax as well. There is already some interest for one last time I read but man it would be awesome. However, i'd prefer if they went with Golden first.... assuming it wont be on handheld.

Setsu00

That World Guidance book does look promising, but I doubt it's as complete as I'm hoping, it certainly doesn't look that exhaustive. Oh well.

The World Guidance book is really barebones, yes. It does have some concept art for environments and FMVs, though, which does make it somewhat worthwhile.

Lynx_7

Hey Persona community! I finished P5 about a week ago and I've been having post depression ever since. It was just unlike any other game experience in JRPGS I have ever had. Blegh, it sucks cause I want to do a new game plus but I have shite on my backlog like two tales games (Berseria and Zestiria) and then there is FF XIV stormblood soon. I really really wish I could play p4 golden but I have no vita and I dont want one either. I will just have to wait for a port someday. But yeah my P5 total playtime was 104 hours or so and that's just insane value out of a JRPG. I want to get into the series more.... if only 4 golden was ported as it's the complete version of 4, I imagine. I played 4 back in the day but was never invested in it much. P5 was one of my most hyped up games and it lived up to expectations. I just wish we could have had a
full calendar year. I understand it's difficult to do this since the plot wraps up at the end of December but there's so much potential to have Sae as a confidant there. I'd scrap her interrogation rank ups and have her as an exclusive confidant somewhere after the interrogations and maybe as a love option since that was scrapped.

I'd also love it if we could get the girls acknowledging your
love if you choose it in the plot. It's just a bit jarring to know that your love is in your group but they don't ever act that way. They always act like "hey" as if they dont really know you just for plot purposes.
If they could blend in the romance to the plot I think it could create amazing possibilities such as jealousy scenes which could be hilarious. For example, Ryuji always brags about wanting women and he doesn't know you were with Makoto at the beach for example. It would be hilarious if he found out!

I would very much love a persona 5 arena/ultimax as well. There is already some interest for one last time I read but man it would be awesome. However, i'd prefer if they went with Golden first.... assuming it wont be on handheld.
If you have a PS3, you could always play P3FES. As for Golden, it sucks that it's stuck in the cold hands of the Vita (I haven't played it myself because of that) but vanilla P4 is still excellent. How many hours did you previously play? Might be worth trying it again after P5. Gameplay will be a huge step back, obviously, but now that you're accustomed to the calendar progression maybe it'll click better this time.

I am feeling P5 abstinence myself, not because I have finished it, but because I want to play it but real life won't let me. It sucks. It's like getting a taste of an excellent buffet and then someone just pulls it away from you and says "you can eat more 2 months from now if you write 60 to 70 pages of this boring stuff". My emancipation is so far away.

If you have a PS3, you could always play P3FES. As for Golden, it sucks that it's stuck in the cold hands of the Vita (I haven't played it myself because of that) but vanilla P4 is still excellent. How many hours did you previously play? Might be worth trying it again after P5. Gameplay will be a huge step back, obviously, but now that you're accustomed to the calendar progression maybe it'll click better this time.

I am feeling P5 abstinence myself, not because I have finished it, but because I want to play it but real life won't let me. It sucks. It's like getting a taste of an excellent buffet and then someone just pulls it away from you and says "you can eat more 2 months from now if you write 60 to 70 pages of this boring stuff". My emancipation is so far away.
I can relate. Just gave my last exam today so I'm free from Saturday onwards, but since I don't have a PS3 or PS4 I don't even know if I'll ever be able to play P5. Funny thing is, I still have the Take Your Heart edition. Lol

Kenaras

I want to get into the series more.... if only 4 golden was ported as it's the complete version of 4, I imagine. I played 4 back in the day but was never invested in it much.

I waited for years hoping that P4G would come to a console, but at this point it doesn't look hopeful. After finishing P5, I bought a PSTV and P4G, which combined came to $80. Was hesitant to do it, but in the end it was worth it. If there's anything else you want to play on a PSTV, it might be worth looking into. (Personally, I found P4G to be a significant improvement over P4.)

Lynx_7

Can PSTV play PSP games? Are Tactics Ogre LUCT and FFT available on ps store if so? I might just bite the bullet one of these days so getting to play a few PSP games I skipped would at least help me justify those fucking ridiculous memory card prices. Missing on the portability factor sucks though, which is one of the main reasons I'm hesitant on buying it instead of a Vita.

Sophia

Can PSTV play PSP games? Are Tactics Ogre LUCT and FFT available on ps store if so? I might just bite the bullet one of these days so getting to play a few PSP games I skipped would at least help me justify those fucking ridiculous memory card prices. Missing on the portability factor sucks though, which is one of the main reasons I'm hesitant on buying it instead of a Vita.

Tactics Ogre is definitely up on the PS Store. I own it and play it on my Vita.

Kenaras

Yes, both are available. You can also play FFT without a separate memory card, but LUCT is too large for that. (A physical copy of P4G can also be played without buying a separate memory card.)

I do have a ps3 still and I just looked up that P3 and 4 are on the PS store. I didn't get very far into 4 last time I played it years ago because I guess other games took precedence. I believe I was maybe 5-10 hours into it which is nothing when you consider games of this grand scale such as P5. I might go back to it but i'm not sure since Golden is the better version or so it seems. I feel you there of course. P5 is an amazing game and I sometimes did feel like I would be at an amazing part and all of a sudden work calls! I finished it in a month and it was all totally worth it!

I waited for years hoping that P4G would come to a console, but at this point it doesn't look hopeful. After finishing P5, I bought a PSTV and P4G, which combined came to $80. Was hesitant to do it, but in the end it was worth it. If there's anything else you want to play on a PSTV, it might be worth looking into. (Personally, I found P4G to be a significant improvement over P4.)

Exactly why i'm so conflicted. I just dont want to play on handheld as i'm so used to the big screen now with P5. Would I be missing out on lots of plot if I just played P4 and youtubed the golden scenes?

They have been doing that ever since P5 was released and everyone started mocking that line. I think they even produced some merchandise with the line.
Yeah, I saw that. I just think Atlus is way more likely to make merchandise out of something than they are to go on Twitter and joke with Goldfarb, haha. But you raise a good point.
DA8aMHjXUAEqqcn.jpg

I don't wanna brag, but Japan's got nothing on us when it comes to memes
Are . . . Are we supposed to be proud of that? I dunno man, haha.

FluxWaveZ

I'm not really familiar with the structure of ASW. Do they only have one team, or multiple?

They at least have two distinct teams, Team Blue (BlazBlue) and Team Red (Guilty Gear Xrd). They also make side stuff like Double Dragon or Inferno Climber, so there could be a more general team (maybe like Atlus' 1st Production).

The company is small with 121 employees, but they do impressive stuff with a small number of people in a short amount of time, like how Xrd -SIGN- was developed in something like 1.5 years with 30 people.

I assume for the Dragon Ball game, the main staff will consist of those who are experienced with FGs over there, and it seems to resemble Xrd in terms of graphics. I suppose they could develop a P5U simultaneously, though, depending on how many people are involved with the Dragon Ball game.

They're not likely to just have P5A made by another studio, are they? It wouldn't make sense to do that, but is there a precedent for a IP changing developers for the same genre of spinoff?

I cannot fathom a new Persona Arena game that wouldn't be developed by ASW. I'm not sure that would work at all for fans of the previous games, with the gameplay, overall structure and look that would be sure to receive a dramatic shift.

I would say it's pretty much impossible that a P5A wouldn't be developed by ASW for something as mechanically specific as a fighting game. Plus, there aren't many more options on the market. Capcom, NetherRealm, CyberConnect2, Bandai Namco? It wouldn't work.

Lynx_7

I'm not complaining. It's pretty much the Dragon Ball Z game I've been waiting my entire life for. :p

It's not the action/adventure Dragon Ball game I've been waiting for my whole life, but if they're only gonna make fighting games then I'll take it! :p
Sorry P5A.

They're not likely to just have P5A made by another studio, are they? It wouldn't make sense to do that, but is there a precedent for a IP changing developers for the same genre of spinoff?

P5A by Sega's Virtua Fighter team hype. jk Sega doesn't have a Virtua Fighter team

Capcom hype then!

PK Gaming

Yeah, I saw that. I just think Atlus is way more likely to make merchandise out of something than they are to go on Twitter and joke with Goldfarb, haha. But you raise a good point.

Are . . . Are we supposed to be proud of that? I dunno man, haha.

Definitely. I mean there's a lot of filth, but stuff like this and this is absolutely inspired. Seriously, the memes that came out shortly after the game was released was one of the best aspects of experiencing P5, haha.

Kenaras

Exactly why i'm so conflicted. I just dont want to play on handheld as i'm so used to the big screen now with P5. Would I be missing out on lots of plot if I just played P4 and youtubed the golden scenes?

Yeah, I'm not a fan of playing RPGs on handhelds either. Full TV and cost were the two reasons that sold me on PSTV. P4 is still a good game, so if PSTV doesn't appeal to you, P4 is absolutely worth playing. I wouldn't recommend trying to YouTube all the Golden scenes, though; just play P4 as-is. While the bulk of the Golden additions happen at the end of the game, there's a lot of little things added throughout.

I cannot fathom a new Persona Arena game that wouldn't be developed by ASW. I'm not sure that would work at all for fans of the previous games, with the gameplay, overall structure and look that would be sure to receive a dramatic shift.

I would say it's pretty much impossible that a P5A wouldn't be developed by ASW for something as mechanically specific as a fighting game. Plus, there aren't many more options on the market. Capcom, NetherRealm, CyberConnect2, Bandai Namco? It wouldn't work.
Yeah, as I said, I didn't really think that was a viable idea. For some reason though I had this feeling that some other IP had a pretty surprising change in developer--I wanted to say JoJo's or J-Stars or something--but when I looked into it I just found a whole lot of nothing. That's my mistake then.

Honestly, I didn't really expect them to do a P5A anyway even with the positive reception the other games got. I kinda think they want to keep the spinoffs fresh, so I'm thinking the P5 spinoffs will be pretty different, and not just, "It's _____________ but with P5 characters!" I'm notoriously wrong about these things though, haha.
Definitely. I mean there's a lot of filth, but stuff like this and this is absolutely inspired. Seriously, the memes that came out shortly after the game was released was one of the best aspects of experiencing P5, haha.
You raise a good point. It probably doesn't fit in the same category, but I like this video way more than I should, so this kinda stuff is pretty good silly fun.

Kinda related, but I feel like there's a lot more good Western fan art for P5 than there was for P3 or P4 too. Both in the variety and the quality.

FluxWaveZ

Honestly, I didn't really expect them to do a P5A anyway even with the positive reception the other games got. I kinda think they want to keep the spinoffs fresh, so I'm thinking the P5 spinoffs will be pretty different, and not just, "It's _____________ but with P5 characters!" I'm notoriously wrong about these things though, haha.

I'm almost 100% positive that a new Persona Dancing game is incoming and, for the Persona Arena series, it goes beyond it being a simple spin-off but also just that it garnered a dedicated fanbase who enjoyed playing it. Including me. It's pretty much the only current Atlus series built for competitive play (what Catherine could have been...), and I think its success and their own interest in making sequels means it'll happen, too.

Kinda hyped, though. Makes me think we actually might see that 2.5D Cel-shaded style for P5U. But it will probably get handled by Team Blue...

Yeah, if there's one thing, the DB game means there's a good chance that ASW is transitioning into using their Xrd technology for their future fighting games. Even if it were to be handled by Team Blue, going back to sprites would be a noticeable "step back" compared to their newer games.

I'm almost 100% positive that a new Persona Dancing game is incoming and, for the Persona Arena series, it goes beyond it being a simple spin-off but also just that it garnered a dedicated fanbase who enjoyed playing it. Including me. It's pretty much the only current Atlus series built for competitive play (what Catherine could have been...), and I think its success and their own interest in making sequels means it'll happen, too.
I'd love to see a new P5A to watch the streams of high level play, and another Dancing game would be right up my alley. I just wouldn't be surprised if they ignored common sense and just did something completely different. I suppose their goals have changed from trying to introduce new people to Persona (P3/P4 spinoffs) to capitalizing on their current popularity though.
Kinda hyped, though. Makes me think we actually might see that 2.5D Cel-shaded style for P5U. But it will probably get handled by Team Blue...
I'm not too familiar with Arc System Works games, is Team Blue a less favourable option?

I'm not too familiar with Arc System Works games, is Team Blue a less favourable option?

Out of the following too styles, I would say so:

Team Blue:
blaz13.jpg

blazblue-chrono-phantasma-playstation-3-ps3-1352974798-001.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Team Red:
GGXrd-Rev-2_Fami-shot_01-18-17_002.jpg

GGXrd-Rev-2-EU-May-26-Dated.jpg

1482014997685.gif

Neither are bad, but I think the faux-2D look Guilty Gear Xrd has with it's Cel-Shaded 3D models is just damn appealing and probably one of the, if not THE best looking anime styled game on the market.

Also as a huge fan of fighting games, I think Guilty Gear games are far better than Blazblue games, personally. Wasn't super into the P4U series.

Edit: Sorry for the vertically long post lol

Sayad

Out of the following too styles, I would say so:

Team Blue:

Team Red:

Neither are bad, but I think the faux-2D look Guilty Gear Xrd has with it's Cel-Shaded 3D models is just damn appealing and probably one of the, if not THE best looking anime styled game on the market.
Game being made by what ever team doesn't mean they have to follow either team's current game's art style. ASW teams are so small because most of the actual work is outsourced, tech behind Xrd is probably available to any team in ASW right now. Only reason BB didn't make the jump to 3D is because that would push the series back few years in term of character count, the same way it did for Xrd.

Top Bottom