• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Dang. Don't feel that bad, my guy. Take the loss. Take a breather and jump right back in.

Eh I was just frustrated because it was the second time in the same session I wiped in that area (
first time, the first sub-boss somehow attacked first(??) and killed my MC in one turn, I didn't even know it was possible for them to attack first
). But I stand by my feeling that the distribution of safe rooms is sometimes uneven in these palaces. I shouldn't have to
fight three bosses in a row
without a new safe room.

Also am I the only one that thinks the music in the 5th palace is irritating and just...bad? Really jarring change from the rest of the acid jazz soundtrack.

Mediking

Eh I was just frustrated because it was the second time in the same session I wiped in that area (
first time, the first sub-boss somehow attacked first(??) and killed my MC in one turn, I didn't even know it was possible for them to attack first
). But I stand by my feeling that the distribution of safe rooms is sometimes uneven in these palaces. I shouldn't have to
fight three bosses in a row
without a new safe room.

Also am I the only one that thinks the music in the 5th palace is irritating and just...bad? Really jarring change from the rest of the acid jazz soundtrack.

Palace 5 is trash... but there's one you still haven't experienced that's even worse.

There's even ANOTHER section where you fight tough mini bosses that are powerful. No Safe Room in sight.

And yup. Joker can get slammed. I got a Game Over when the rest of the party was still alive.

Always ran with Arhabaki since then. Love that Persona. He had great Nulls and Resists and repelled anything Physical. Also had Spirit Drain and Life Drain. Lol

Palace 5 is trash... but there's one you still haven't experienced that's even worse.

There's even ANOTHER section where you fight tough mini bosses that are powerful. No Safe Room in sight.

And yup. Joker can get slammed. I got a Game Over when the rest of the party was still alive.

Always ran with Arhabaki since then. Love that Persona. He had great Nulls and Resists and repelled anything Physical. Also had Spirit Drain and Life Drain. Lol

Someone knows what's up! I rolled with a Arhabaki for a long time in SMT Nocturne. The one I have right now is just a basic one I convinced to join. Need to either fuse one or strengthen this one.

Yeah it's not that I was surprised my MC got wiped in a boss fight, just that the boss was allowed to attack first. Maybe I just forgot that can happen.

Mediking

Someone knows what's up! I rolled with a Arhabaki for a long time in SMT Nocturne. The one I have right now is just a basic one I convinced to join. Need to either fuse one or strengthen this one.

Yeah it's not that I was surprised my MC got wiped in a boss fight, just that the boss was allowed to attack first. Maybe I just forgot that can happen.

Lol. I barely fused or visited the Velvet Room. I stopped caring after I saw Persona I wanted that required fusing stuff I didnt wanna bother with.

My crew really was a Palace running team.

!!!! Hey, wasn't Joker's Awakening just amazing?

Lynx_7

For a second there I didn't recognize Mediking because of his new avatar. lol

Also, I'm almost there to getting back to P5. Just need to endure a few more days.

StereoVsn

The US version of the artbook is also quite a bit shorter for some reason. I'm glad I got the Japanese version.

Wait, what? It's actually shorter? Umm... well, guess I am back ordering from Amazon.jp if they still have that in stock and if not ebay I guess.

Edit: This is actually a different book vs Persona 5 Official Setting Art Book. The new one is also coming out in Japan. They are not bringing out either the Persona Guide or Settings book but rather the new Art one.

Setsu00

Wait, what? It's actually shorter? Umm... well, guess I am back ordering from Amazon.jp if they still have that in stock and if not ebay I guess.

Edit: This is actually a different book vs Persona 5 Official Setting Art Book. The new one is also coming out in Japan. They are not bringing out either the Persona Guide or Settings book but rather the new Art one.

There is the Maniacus book, but that's most likely not the one we're getting. Personally, I'm betting that they probably cut some of the stuff like the interview with Soejima from the Settings book.

Personally, I'm betting that they probably cut some of the stuff like the interview with Soejima from the Settings book.
You're probably right, which really sucks because his interview was my favourite part of the other Persona artbooks I have. At the same time, I have a pre-order for the P5 artbook in the hope that the interview is still there; the pre-order price isn't too bad either.

Mediking

For a second there I didn't recognize Mediking because of his new avatar. lol

Also, I'm almost there to getting back to P5. Just need to endure a few more days.

Even though Minato will always be a symbol of my love for Atlus and that games can be much more than just "games"...

I gotta represent Joker! The dude is awesome.

You know, I think in the next Persona game Atlus should allow you to get out of any fight by just having a chat with the demons. Like ask them how their life is going, or invite them to karaoke or a bowling minigame or something.

You know, I think in the next Persona game Atlus should allow you to get out of any fight by just having a chat with the demons. Like ask them how their life is going, or invite them to karaoke or a bowling minigame or something.

I want to spend the duration of the game taking out Personas or demons for food and karaoke.

> The coffee is boiling. You expect it to erupt at any second.
> Satan looks happy. ♪

Finally, dates with Cu Chulainn and Rangda.

I wouldn't introduce alignments. Just dialogue choices playing on personality types. Maybe Arcana, summoned Persona, and items or outfits could play roles.

Finally, dates with Cu Chulainn and Rangda.

I wouldn't introduce alignments. Just dialogue choices playing on personality types. Maybe Arcana, summoned Persona, and items or outfits could play roles.

Yes! I think it could be really fun if they expanded on the personalities.
> Legion needs a drink. Would you like to go to a bar?

Also, Persona 5: Demons Dancing All Night! Please make this happen, Atlus.

DNAbro

P4D motion capture artists will be at the August concert.

Adding to the list of things hinting at another rhythm game.

I think we all know it's happening at this point. Can't wait to see what ridiculous story they come up with for it. Also I hope they keep the dancing costumes from the DLC. Those actually look great. Unless this is a swerve and we get P3 Dancing instead of P5 Dancing.

Lynx_7

I want to spend the duration of the game taking out Personas or demons for food and karaoke.

> The coffee is boiling. You expect it to erupt at any second.
> Satan looks happy. ♪

> You and Abaddon ate lunch together.
> It was Abaddon's favourite!

> Abaddon accidentally ate half the diner...
> You hysterically pray to Izanagi for architectural advice.

This reminds me of Undertale.

You know what, a self-aware Mother-ish take on a Megaten spin-off doesn't sound like a bad idea at all.

Finally managed to emulate Catherine after labor of EIGHT hours...

...I get 10-15 fps. ;_;

willing to provide photographic evidence that I own a copy

Looking at the list of performers on Persona Central, there's a new keyboardist in adition to the one they already had. At first I thought the dude with the manipulator was back but it's not the same guy, I miss watching him headbang in the background lol.

I think we all know it's happening at this point. Can't wait to see what ridiculous story they come up with for it. Also I hope they keep the dancing costumes from the DLC. Those actually look great. Unless this is a swerve and we get P3 Dancing instead of P5 Dancing.

Or we get Persona: Dance and they handle both games in one fell swoop.

One of the hints was a DJ mentioning that he'd done a remix of a P5 song, so whatever it is it will almost certainly have P5 tracks.

Plus P5 is the latest thing, so of course it's going to have P5 front and centre.

I don't think Atlus would be releasing anything that would be close to pushing the PS4, especially not a rhythm game which would presumably have a similar style to P4D. I mean I think PS4 exclusive is the still the most likely regardless.

p5d being mobile only is more likely than ps4 only

Nah, PS4 is a current console and is where most of the P5 audience is, and the chance of another vita exclusive at this point in it's life seems very unlikely. I mean I don't think a vita version is out of the question, especially if it was reusing stuff from P4D, but I don't see it missing the PS4.

Dantis

I don't think Atlus would be releasing anything that would be close to pushing the PS4, especially not a rhythm game which would presumably have a similar style to P4D. I mean I think PS4 exclusive is the still the most likely regardless.
That's not the point at all though.
An Atlus engine on PS3 doesn't push the PS3, but still looks a damn sight better than PS2. The same applies here.

It's not going to push the console's limits, but it lifts what they're capable of. Better models, textures, lighting etc.

Mediking

PS4 only please.

I don't want them to hold back for the weaksauce Switch.

Persona 5 is on PS3 and PS4...

Switch is more powerful than PS3.

Switch is selling like crazy in Japan.

Persona 5 selling well on PS4 is amazing and I'm very happy it did.

What's wrong with Persona 5 spinoffs hitting PS4 and Switch? Nothing will be held back and good sales should come from it. Persona Q hit 3DS and it didn't even hit Vita. They already making a Shin Megami Tensei on Switch so it's not like a Persona 5 spinoff will be their 1st interaction with the Switch.

I say this as a PS4 and Switch AND Vita owner.

But regardless... any Persona 5 spinoff is like 75% PS4 only.

Lynx_7

My super secret sources told me they were doing a Sega Genesis port of P5 as their next project. It's likely going to be 3 times faster than the original because blast processing.

Hopefully P5D hits the SNES.

Figure this is the place to post this? Thought this was pretty great.

Futaba's English VA (Erica Lindbeck) cosplayed as Futaba.

https://twitter.com/ericalindbeck/status/877421860022964224

rzcZ57T_d.jpg

Mediking

I'm starting to see what some of you guys were talking about how finishing Persona 5 leaves a empty spot in your heart. I feel that. There's truly nothing quite like Persona....

I've been going through Persona 5's OST to find some songs I can put on my fone and some of these songs I honestly feel like I never heard in the game. Lol

But man.... Last Surprise is the kinda songs where I'm talking about that sound amazing. That's Your Affection material. Your Affection AND its remix is like top tier.

Life Goes On is good. That's the song that plays while you're taking tests at school.

Wicked Plan is good.

Have a Short Rest is the song that plays when you're in a Safe Room. A very good and underrated song.

Restlessness.... this freaking song gets played too freaking much and it's not even that good! Dang! Please fix this in Persona 5 Crimson.

Confession/Secret is also really good.

But.... then I heard A Woman.... LET'S GO.

EMT0

Banned
After consuming just about every piece of Persona 4-related media I could get my hands on(except DAN), I'm wondering if somebody can answer my questions about a certain character that I can't wrap my head around. Spoilers for Persona 4, it's spinoffs, and it's anime renditions ahead:

I don't understand Adachi at all man. When I first completed P4G, I had the impression that Adachi was just a sociopath who stumbled on a dangerous power. And that while he was a sociopath, the chain of events he started culminated in something larger than he ever intended. However, he was determined to own it for his own amusement and because he couldn't stand not being in control after spending so much time as a insignificant nobody in the middle of nowhere. However, the more I think about it the more confused I get. I figure there's a certain amount of plot holes here, but I'm hoping someone on PersonaGAF can shed more light or introspection on Adachi than I can manage.

The first thing on my mind recently is Adachi's relationship with the Dojimas. I have NEVER gotten the impression that he resented Dojima beyond what a subordinate would feel towards a boss at times, and that contrarily, he actually held some level appreciation for him as a mentor and friend. I've always had the impression that he valued/appreciated Nanako despite his sociopathic tendencies, as we never see or hear his honest reaction to the news of Nanako's plight and it's one thing he IIRC never needled Yu over during the game's finale. Am I baseless here? Wishfully re-imagining Adachi's character? Yeah it's not canon, but after having seen Adachi's portrayal in the Golden anime adaptation, I'm convinced he's less a sociopath(albeit still having tendencies towards it) and more a heavily depressed individual that's learnt to mask it. I'm convinced Adachi's been clinically depressed for years before the story took place. I don't think he didn't realize the efforts the Dojimas put into treating him like a family friend. I don't think he spat on their kindness either. What's currently bouncing around in my head is that as depressed and screwed up as he was for having masked his clinical depression for so long, he simply couldn't appreciate it. He was fucked up enough to look past their plights and project fault onto others, but not so far gone as to deliberately hurt them either. What landed both of them in the hospital after all, was something he set in motion but (IMO) not something he ever intended.

Next is Adachi's relationship with Yu. Going by the Golden animation(yeah, not necessarily canon, but it's probably the most detailed casting of Adachi we have for what he was thinking day to day), Yu's arrival was pretty much the death knell in Adachi rehabilitating himself past his mental issues with the Dojimas. Clearly Adachi was baseless in abandoning all hope in others as Yu matched the other Dojimas in treating Adachi as a family friend, but it's difficult to explain Adachi's mentality at all. I don't think he really intended to (actively) harm Yu himself, at least not until the very end. Even then I got the feeling he didn't really want to go through with it, as he pulled a pistol on him yet continued to monologue at him. Megalomaniacal bad guy trope? Yeah. But I felt it added to my idea of Adachi not being so committed to his evil dude routine.

Finally, the murders themselves. There's not much to cover, really. Adachi spontaneously decided to assault people, and it ended up turning to murder when he realized how easily he could get away with it through the use of the TV world. That's the part I'm least concerned about as I found it the most straightforward. Twisted individual + zero consequence = depraved behavior.

Anyways, those are my thoughts on Adachi. Anyone willing to share their thoughts, I welcome you. I still can't really figure him out beyond a pet theory and some blatantly stated facts. Adachi's the kind of person who I figure is lying to you at all times, even during his evil villain monologue. I'm curious what you all think.

FluxWaveZ

After consuming just about every piece of Persona 4-related media I could get my hands on(except DAN), I'm wondering if somebody can answer my questions about a certain character that I can't wrap my head around. Spoilers for Persona 4, it's spinoffs, and it's anime renditions ahead:

I assume you've watched the P4GA anime episode 6, right? It's a good dive into what you're asking about. From a mention you make, it seems that you did. I wrote something about that episode a while ago.

A key word that I think describes them is "anti-social."

Jintor

I largely agree, but it was definitely Golden (Animation) that added more texture there.
I hadn't even thought until the animation that Adachi would resent Yu for nosing into relationships better than Adachi could or felt like he could, but it was such a clear throughline I wonder that I didn't see it sooner.

Primarily I feel like Adachi was primarily trying to project control over events he really didn't have that much say in just so he could feel like he had a measure of control. That it hurt people he would kind of dismiss or not care about or just try and convince himself (usually fairly succesfully) that he wanted it that way, and so it became.

PK Gaming

Re:
Adachi

Ignore everything that isn't P4/P4G. The Golden episodes centered around him are nice, but ultimately superfluous/contradictory.

These are the core aspects of his character:
Resentful towards society
Pessimistic
Sexist
Incapable of taking responsibility for anything, frequently coming up with ludicrous justifications that don't involve him
Has studied hard for his entire life, only to be screwed out of success due to an unspecified mistake
Joined the police force so he could legally own a gun

So to answer your question, there are no plot holes. His rank 10 with Yu makes it clear that he enjoyed the time he spent with Dojima and Nanako, but not to a particularly large degree. He likes Yu, but they don't share this ridiculously intimate shonen bond like they do in the anime. He is not depressed. This is why relying on the anime for information is a bad idea, because it adds an unnecessary sympathetic side to his characters and indulges in blatant retcons. Everything from his actions, to the way he talks hammers in the points I listed earlier; he's a rotten person running wild with his new power.

Also, Adachi didn't "spontaneously" want to assault people. He sexually assaulted Mayumi Yamano for being involved in a cheating scandal, that's when he discovered his new power. This is a common thing in Japan, where guys feel "betrayed" when the women they revere do anything that breaks their pure image. The Golden anime downplays this considerably.

Adachi is 100% not lying to you during your confrontation in P4/P4G. He has no reason not to tell the truth.

Dantis

P4 villain spoilers:

I feel like you're conflating the anime episodes with the game too much, as they changed aspects of his character pretty heavily to make him less sociopathic. Adachi is a character who feels like he is unfairly treated by those in positions of power over him, and because of this he exerts his own power in abusive ways on the victims in Persona 4 (Namatame by manipulating a man in emotional distress and Saki and Yamano physically and verbally).
He's also a nihilist and a coward, and uses this as a thin justification for his actions.
How he feels about the Dojimas (and Yu) is ambiguous, I think, because what he says shouldn't be taken at face value. In the day to day scenes he's playing the part of the goof that everyone in Inaba takes him for, and in the confrontation he's blatantly not conveying how he really feels in multiple lines. He'd like to pretend he's a mastermind and a villain and that the world around him is at fault, but his hesitance suggests to me that he's actually just afraid and he knows it.

Hashino's games all culminate with the protagonist proving to a supernatural entity that we, as a society, are worth something and capable of something, and Adachi runs entirely contrary to that notion. Adachi tells himself and the player that nothing means anything and nothing matters, and the player proves him wrong in the final display of truth before the confrontation with Izanami. So in a game all about perceptions, Adachi becomes the ultimate symbol of a person who has interpeted the world incorrectly. If Narukami and co represent truth, then Adachi and Ameno Sagiri represent lies.

Top Bottom