• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Zolo

I know. It just sort of pisses me off when I hear a JRPG fan (not directly referring to Lynx_7 but speaking in general) not being open-minded about a damn JRPG. Not everything appeals to me either but I can acknowledge that just because it doesn't appeal to me... doesn't mean its not high in quality. Too many people (who claimed to be SMT and Fire Emblem fans) walked away from TMS without even trying it for themselves and it's a shame. Hell, you know the same thing is happening to Persona 5. "It looks tooo anime!!!!" It's annoying as hell.

Except the post you responded to said he figured it was good quality. They're saying it bombed (which it did) and said that the premise of the game likely contributed to that.

Most people into idol games are likely those on playstation platforms. The game still comes off as not really having elements that appeal to those interested in either franchise which impressions also seem to give off even if it stands on its own. There also doesn't seem to be attempts to make it more WiiU audience friendly like Splatoon which despite being a shooter has a lot of appeal to the Nintendo audience.

This makes it seem like an idol game that doesn't take advantage of being a crossover by having what fans of either franchise likes that also doesn't make any strides to appeal to the more wide WiiU audience. This doesn't mean it isn't good. It just means that it doesn't do much to attract potential customers.

Lynx_7

Except the post you responded to said he figured it was good quality. They're saying it bombed (which it did) and said that the premise of the game likely contributed to that.

Most people into idol games are likely those on playstation platforms. The game still comes off as not really having elements that appeal to those interested in either franchise which impressions also seem to give off even if it stands on its own. There also doesn't seem to be attempts to make it more WiiU audience friendly like Splatoon which despite being a shooter has a lot of appeal to the Nintendo audience.

This makes it seem like an idol game that doesn't take advantage of being a crossover by having what fans of either franchise likes that also doesn't make any strides to appeal to the more wide WiiU audience. This doesn't mean it isn't good. It just means that it doesn't do much to attract potential customers.

Yeah, you explained it better than I could.

Also Strimei, OT, but your avatar is way too good.
Where can I see a bigger version?

PK Gaming

You sound exactly like someone who hasn't played TMS and is being judgmental. Sad.

And no. Atlus and Nintendo are still in good terms. They dont hate each other. Many quirky Atlus games like EO and others will be on NXS. Same goes for Platinum Games. Nintendo will fund exclusives from them again for sure. Hell, Bayonetta is attached to Nintendo now.

Your reading comprehension is unfathomably bad, Mediking.

Even as someone who loves idol stuff, that part of TMS seriously wasn't especially appealing at all for me. It feels like it's kind of missed the point why that stuff is popular in the first place so it falls flat. I've really liked what I've played so far, but I definitely agree with the point of it not taking advantage of the franchises that well, which just makes it an even more awkward experience when combined with the idol stuff regardless of how enjoyable it can be.

Just out of curiosity, can you explain why? I've never watched anything idol related, so I couldn't say unlike with the SMT and FE side.
For me at least, a huge part of my enjoyment in idol stuff comes from fun and solid character interactions or strong character development by means of especially intimate and personal plot points. Good music and cute stuff are kind of like added bonuses. I don't really know how much other fans would agree or disagree with this, though.

With TMS you have fun characters who develop through personal conflicts, but almost all of that is through Itsuki playing the wish fulfillment MC role, which hurts the game and its characters a lot. The character interactions are mostly generic anime tropes too so they're not anything that really sticks out either.

Zolo

For me at least, a huge part of my enjoyment in idol stuff comes from fun and solid character interactions or strong character development by means of especially intimate and personal plot points. Good music and cute stuff are kind of like added bonuses. I don't really know how much other fans would agree or disagree with this, though.

With TMS you have fun characters who develop through personal conflicts, but almost all of that is through Itsuki playing the wish fulfillment MC role, which hurts the game and its characters a lot. The character interactions are mostly generic anime tropes too so they're not anything that really sticks out either.

Thanks. I've only watched videos, so I can't really comment on in-game stuff so much as just the premise and impressions. I'll probably get around to getting the game if I ever get a Nintendo system to play it.

Mediking

I see.

It's funny to me because TMS IS a tribute to both series. There's SMT and FE stuff everywhere in the damn game. Most people who actually played it should know that if they spent a good amount of time with it.

The fact that it used idols as its premise and presentation didn't bother me at all. I'm not even a idol diehard. You never see me talking about idols or screaming about Miku. I applaud TMS for its own merit and for what it was trying to do.

"And how does this relate to Persona, Mediking?"

I dunno. Just get irritated when I see people dismiss Persona 5 for almost the same reasons for dismissing TMS.

I'll shut up and walk away.

OrionX

Well I wasn't really interested in TMS before, but after seeing Mediking's passionate reaction, now I'm curious. lol

Of course I probably would've gotten it if I had a Wii U, didn't have enough incentive to get the system though.

Now...
I'm not the most aware person on this thread, but...

Where in the nine circles of hell are JRPG fans reacting to P5 the same way they did to TMS??
On what plane of existence?

Lynx_7

Now...
I'm not the most aware person on this thread, but...

Where in the nine circles of hell are JRPG fans reacting to P5 the same way they did to TMS??
On what plane of existence?

Not JRPG fans. I imagine he's just talking about the people on Neogaf and other sites that shun anything that looks even remotely "anime".

jzbluz

The official TMS reveal deflected my hype, but I would have still bought it if I had a Wii U. Honestly, while I promised myself that I would buy a Wii U when SMTxFE was announced, I doubt I would have even if the game had met my initial expectations since the Wii U only has at most two games that appeal to me.

I hope TMS gets ported to the Switch since there's no way I'm missing a Nintendo handheld, especially since it will probably be the only handheld in the market in a couple of years. RIP Vita.

Zolo

Personally I found TMS really boring. Surprisingly poor soundtrack too, for a game themed around music.

I heard this was a common complaint which definitely feels off considering they contracted a professional music group or something?

PK Gaming

Tangentially related but hear me out, okay?

So i'm playing Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse and I run into this one demon. I was running low on good demons so obviously I try to negotiate with it, right? And it's all like "Ayyyy, kiddo play any good Atlus games lately? So one of the dialogue prompts was Soul Hackers. I pick that and it tears into me. "ARGH. That game is hot garbage, I really can't see its appeal at all." Luckily it didn't attack, so I was able to negotiate it with it again. It asks me the same question. "Ayyy, kiddo play any good Atlus games lately?" I pick Devil Survivor 2 this time and it still tears into me. "RARGH! That game never really grabbed me and it seems really boring! I only played 3 hours, though" By some miracle it didn't attack, so I was able to converse with it one more time. And wouldn't you know it, it asks the same question again! "Ayyy, kiddo play any good Atlus games lately? This time, I chose "Persona 5" like a good boy and it lays off. "Nice." The demon was clearly pleased with itself. Unfortunately it asked me one more question.

"What do you think of Morgana's voice?

I chose "I like it"

It responds with "English or Japanese"

I chose "English"

The demon flies into a RAGE, instantly killing everyone in my party, permanently deleting all of the demons in my party and deleting my save file for good measure.

I knew I should have bought that Naoto doll...

I heard this was a common complaint which definitely feels off considering they contracted a professional music group or something?

TMS vocal songs mostly sound like typical professional pop-idol songs. It's an acquired taste from the get go and one might already be tired of them if they had plenty of experience with the genre.

Which, now that I think about it, applies to some other elements of the game, from story to dialogue to characters. Well polished but unremarkable.

So i'm playing Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse and I run into this one demon. I was running low on good demons so obviously I try to negotiate with it, right? And it's all like "Ayyyy, kiddo play any good Atlus games lately? So one of the dialogue prompts was Soul Hackers. I pick that and it tears into me. "ARGH. That game is hot garbage, I really can't see its appeal at all." Luckily it didn't attack, so I was able to negotiate it with it again. It asks me the same question. "Ayyy, kiddo play any good Atlus games lately?" I pick Devil Survivor 2 this time and it still tears into me. "RARGH! That game never really grabbed me and it seems really boring! I only played 3 hours, though" By some miracle it didn't attack, so I was able to converse with it one more time. And wouldn't you know it, it asks the same question again! "Ayyy, kiddo play any good Atlus games lately? This time, I chose "Persona 5" like a good boy and it lays off. "Nice." The demon was clearly pleased with itself. Unfortunately it asked me one more question.

I chose "I like it"

I chose "English"

The demon flies into a RAGE, instantly killing everyone in my party, permanently deleting all of the demons in my party and deleting my save file for good measure.

Is this the kind of fun I miss out on cause I puss out on the difficulty?

Setsu00

I would be happy to never see any of the plot points in the Arena series ever appearing again. (Both in mainline and spin offs)

I have a passionate dislike for some of the story elements introduced in Arena and its sequel, but just dropping them without any resolution would be much more frustrating for me.

I chose "I like it"

I chose "English"

Like this if you cry every time.

I would be happy to never see any of the plot points in the Arena series ever appearing again. (Both in mainline and spin offs)

Please and thank you.

Lynx_7

I chose "I like it"

I chose "English"

Man, that's rough. Something funny happened to me too recently. I was scouting this demon and he was all like "Heh, Tokyo Mirage Sessions is really great, I hope it gets a sequel! What d'you think?!". I answered "Well, I heard it didn't sell very well..." and the demon went on this tangent about being more open-minded, the quality of the game and called a bunch of reinforcements! But I thought that wasn't the point of the conversation?! It was a close call but I barely managed to run away alive.

I swear these demon negotiations are getting more and more random.

The funny thing is I was already planning to play TMS after finishing my playthrough of Apocalypse.

Man, that's rough. Something funny happened to me too recently. I was scouting this demon and he was all like "Heh, Tokyo Mirage Sessions is really great, I hope it gets a sequel! What d'you think?!". I answered "Well, I heard it didn't sell very well..." and the demon went on this tangent about being more open-minded, the quality of the game and called a bunch of reinforcements! But I thought that wasn't the point of the conversation?! It was a close call but I barely managed to run away alive.

The funny thing is I was already planning to play TMS after finishing my playthrough of Apocalypse.

Honestly, some of these demons have no accounting for taste.

One moment they get all uppity about the idea of P3MC appearing in the future, then they start screaming that they want Digital Devil Saga 3. :/

Setsu00

That's hit the nail on the head.

I just wish that any future Arena sequel was directed by Hashino instead, but that would take him away from something bigger like P6 or a potential new IP. I refuse to believe that Ultimax would have turned out like ... uh, that if Hashino was more involved with the story.

At least don't announce four games at the same time again, Atlus.

I have a passionate dislike for some of the story elements introduced in Arena and its sequel, but just dropping them without any resolution would be much more frustrating for me.

I think they can all pretty much be left open since they don't really need conclusions. They'd have to mess with P3's entire narrative for Liz's journey to be a success, they never had the slightest idea what to do with Sho, and I dunno what the Shadow Ops can do except for monster of the week stuff. I don't remember what else there is since I've been trying my best to block Arena's story from my memory.

I don't think there's anything that particularly needs resolving from the Arena games, but on the other hand, it would be odd for a third title to just outright drop established elements, at least if it's still going to be a crossover. But then it's not like Ultimax didn't drop stuff setup by the first game.

https://twitter.com/DeepSilverUK/status/789463757361549313

So P5 will be at Paris Games Week. Could just be a booth with existing trailers/banners though.

Setsu00

I think they can all pretty much be left open since they don't really need conclusions. They'd have to mess with P3's entire narrative for Liz's journey to be a success, they never had the slightest idea what to do with Sho, and I dunno what the Shadow Ops can do except for monster of the week stuff. I don't remember what else there is since I've been trying my best to block Arena's story from my memory.

I actually want them to continue Elizabeth's story just to see her fail in the end. She'd have her own arc this way and - at least in my mind - it would also reinforce P3's theme: She cannot change the events of P3 and has to come to terms with its consequences, just like the rest of the P3 cast after The Answer. Sho suffers arguably the most from the atrocious writing in Ultimax and I agree that they probably never had an idea what Sho was meant to do in the first place other than being the Rival™ (Soejima pretty much admitted that in the artbook). However, the manga adds some more layers to him and actually tries to make sense of him as a character unlike Ultimax.

Elizabeth and Sho also get the Wild Card during Arena and not making use of that would be a giantic waste of story potential, but it's not like wasting potentially great stories is anything new to the Arena series. I couldn't care less about the Shadow Operatives stuff, but I guess it is a way to reintroduce characters that no longer have anything to do with the ongoing plot (read: almost everyone other than Elizabeth and Sho).

OrionX

I chose "I like it"

I chose "English"

Wait a minute... *puts detective cap on*

200.gif

Something tells me you guys aren't just talking about games anymore...

mooncakes

Its been a while since I played the P4 arena game but which characters consists of the shadow operative?

I can only only recognized Mitsuru ,Junpei and I think Nanjo from P1 from the silhouette.

Its been a while since I played the P4 arena game but which characters consists of the shadow operative?

I can only only recognized Mitsuru ,Junpei and I think Nanjo from P1 from the silhouette.
Mitsuru, Junpei, Yukari, possibly Ken Fuuka and Akihiko. Nanjo ended up not being involved.

That's hit the nail on the head.
I don't know what kinda resolution you want from the plot points in Arena.
Those plot points do the Persona universe more harm than good.

-Elizabeth's quest is never going to go anywhere and I don't think that Atlus has the balls to end that plot point on a bad note.
So it is just going to be a endless loop of the same stuff over and over again.

-Following around Sho just seems like a waste of time.
I don't think they even know what to do with his character other then maybe having another fight with Yu.

-The Shadow Operatives stuff is the absolute worst thing that the Arena games introduced.
Now with every game that is going to ignore this horrendous plot point they are going to have to come up with an excuse for why they weren't involved with the events of said game.

-Elizabeth's quest is never going to go anywhere and I don't think that Atlus has the balls to end that plot point on a bad note.

I don't think they even know what to do with his character other then maybe having another fight with Yu.

-The Shadow Operatives stuff is the absolute worst thing that the Arena games introduced.
Now with every game that is going to ignore this horrendous plot point they are going to have to come up with an excuse for why they weren't involved with the events of said game.

That's the thing. Even though I'm convinced Atlus couldn't care less about P3's theme at this point in time, actually finishing that plot point is never going to happen, for good or bad.

Sho is such a despicably grating character that I never want to see him again, but he's another asshole who got a wild card, so I guess that means he's important.

And yeah. Given that P5 takes place in the capitol, the only reason the SO's aren't involved is either cause they disbanded by then (wouldn't stop them), don't exist in P5's continuity (unlikely), or are as maddeningly incompetent as the psychos from Ergo Research.

The next Persona story will be an anime that resolves every single lose end in a way that undermines everything that has previously happened.

Zolo

I don't see what would really be missed.

Elizabeth's adventure is stated that it could take at least centuries.

Nobody cares about Sho.

The Shadow Op stuff is pretty much just a continuous thing they can bring up when they feel like and basically doesn't even make sense in the main games themselves when you have public events like P5.

Setsu00

The Shadow Operatives stuff is indeed cancerous and should never have been brought into the series to begin with, yes, but the other two plot points can be resolved without twisting the existing Persona universe around by 180°. If they want to continue the Arena series and based on Wada's recent comment they do want to continue the Arena games, that's the way to do it from my perspective. I just don't see them getting rid of the story mode in Arena 3.

The Shadow Operatives stuff is indeed cancerous and should never have been brought into the series to begin with, yes, but the other two plot points can be resolved without twisting the existing Persona universe around by 180°. If they want to continue the Arena series and based on Wada's recent comment they do want to continue the Arena games, that's the way to do it from my perspective. I just don't see them getting rid of the story mode in Arena 3.

What's really frustrating is that it makes sense for Mitsuru to use her resources in this way, to organize Persona-users into a force for good.

But the problem is that mainline entries where the new cast has to solve earth-jeopardizing problems all by themselves, lest the Shadow Ops swoop in and save the day FOR them, making them reduced to nobodies in their own game.

Dantis

What's really frustrating is that it makes sense for Mitsuru to use her resources in this way, to organize Persona-users into a force for good.

But the problem is that mainline entries where the new cast has to solve earth-jeopardizing problems all by themselves, lest the Shadow Ops swoop in and save the day FOR them, making them reduced to nobodies in their own game.

I mean, this is my problem. Why does Mitsuru have to focus on Shadows and Persona? Why does Akihiko go touring the world? The characters are way too hung up on the events of Persona 3. Personally, I just want them to grow up.

I chose "I like it"

I chose "English"

Am... am I the demon?

OrionX

I mean, this is my problem. Why does Mitsuru have to focus on Shadows and Persona? Why does Akihiko go touring the world? The characters are way too hung up on the events of Persona 3. Personally, I just want them to grow up.

But like, are they supposed to forget that shadows and personas are still a thing? It makes sense that they would want to protect the world from such things after what they went through. It was just the execution of that idea that was lacking. And Mitsuru's basically the head of a company now, right? Seems grown up to me. :p

Top Bottom