• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj_iwakura

One of these days I'm gonna replay this without fusing her. ;_;

hitoshura.png

FluxWaveZ

We got Persona 2: Eternal Punishment... now I think we need Nocturne on PSN. Still haven't had a chance to play it and I don't feel like getting a PS2 copy.

Sophia

I just realized.... there's a number of times in P3 cut-scenes where Fuuka doesn't need the Evoker to summon her Persona.

The cut-scene on 10/04 after you beat the boss is a good example.

Jintor

Well, P4A does establish that [relative to Rise] she's fairly powerful as an analytical user. Of course, we still don't know if that's just because the Investigation Team never bothered to try and summon their Personas IRL

Sophia

Is it a scene after what's in this video? Because it's not there.

Scene right after that, when they're in the dorm. (Note: Video has P3 spoilers.)

Well, P4A does establish that [relative to Rise] she's fairly powerful as an analytical user. Of course, we still don't know if that's just because the Investigation Team never bothered to try and summon their Personas IRL

Well, all Personae have some ability to sense each other. Persona resonance, as was established in Persona 2. Fuuka just seems to be unnaturally good at it.

It's happening again. P2ISP didn't rekindle this make the best persona possible and get all its skills + mutations thing since it was so easy, but EP PS1, it's happening........

It was interesting seeing P4A reintroduce the concept of Persona resonance, if it was in legit P4, the case would have been over in a few minutes.

Jintor

Resonance is such a great scientific word you can throw onto whatever magi-tek thing you want and that sounds suitably impressive. My personal favourite usage has always been Morphic Resonance.

Sophia

It's not actually a plot hole that Persona-resonance isn't in P4. Even Fuuka comments that she couldn't sense Strega a few times, and it was never a guaranteed thing in Persona 2 either. You will notice that at the start of Innocent Sin, Tatsyua and Lisa don't sense Eikichi's persona until he summons it.

FluxWaveZ

Scene right after that, when they're in the dorm.

Alright, then. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to see that in P3P, heh.

Well, all Personae have some ability to sense each other. Persona resonance, as was established in Persona 2. Fuuka just seems to be unnaturally good at it.

I think Persona resonance is exclusive to users who gained their powers from playing the Persona game and not the P3/P4 folk (except for Teddie, Rise, Mitsuru and Fuuka, and even then...), according to P4A. Some of the Persona 4 guys weren't aware the Persona 3 people had Personas upon meeting them and vice-versa. If they still had Persona resonance, the Investigation Team would have immediately sensed
Namatame and Adachi

You will notice that at the start of Innocent Sin, Tatsyua and Lisa don't sense Eikichi's persona until he summons it.

That's true. Guess it's just a mess then!

Wait, never mind. I don't think it's true since Tatsuya and Ginko didn't have their Personas at the time Eikichi summoned his.

cj_iwakura

We got Persona 2: Eternal Punishment... now I think we need Nocturne on PSN. Still haven't had a chance to play it and I don't feel like getting a PS2 copy.

Well I know I'd want a copy of the greatest RPG of all time...

Still have my director's cut(meaning with OST) copy, irreplaceable.

Well considering (good) Dante's inclusion, I'm sure Atlus would need to negotiate something with Capcom to get it as a PS2 classic.

FluxWaveZ

Well considering (good) Dante's inclusion, I'm sure Atlus would need to negotiate something with Capcom to get it as a PS2 classic.

Yeah, that's the reason people give for why it probably won't come out. I'll need to hunt down a PS2 copy eventually.

Is Igor essentially running a rogue hero-making operation on the side, then?

While P1/P2 characters were basically given their powers, P3/P4 characters pretty much gained them (moreso P3 than P4). Igor's supposedly ruled by Philemon, so whatevs.

Sophia

Wait, never mind. I don't think it's true since Tatsuya and Ginko didn't have their Personas at the time Eikichi summoned his.

That is the very scene in which they awaken to them. Also Hanya sensed Philemon from the hallway earlier on and commented on it. They had the potential.

FluxWaveZ

That is the very scene in which they awaken to them. Also Hanya sensed Philemon from the hallway earlier on. They had the potential.

Yeah, I remember that after Tatsuya got his headache (although potential was really just a term used in P3). Maybe they just decided to throw away resonance in the modern games because they didn't want to deal with it or because it's unnecessary since there aren't Persona users everywhere anymore.

Thinking about this, I realize that Rise is probably the weakest Persona user that we know of. She's good for locating people in the fog and that's about it.

Hilariously enough, that's the DMC2 Dante, and I think that now he would definitely be considered a superior incarnation.

That's still up in the air for me, but the game he's in is certainly worse. If you weren't using a guide, the only way you'd know how to use the
two-headed coin
trick is by playing through DMC2, and uh...woe betide thee who dost choose to play through that crap.

Looks like it's still up for $20 new at amazon. I got mine, along with DDS 1&2 for $20 a piece from amazon.ca the summer.

Man, I might have to bag a copy when I'll be able to afford it-- aka after this computer is built and potentially after other games I want that are newer are bought.

I loved P4 villain's reveal and his speech behind his motivations.

But who the villain is themselves? Just... I dunno, it feels kind of strange to me. Everything is sort of there, but something feels off at the same time. The new ending in P4:G doesn't really help. I haven't seen it, but just knowing what it is feels so weird to me.

I quite loved the plan that the P3 villains put together to sort of orchestrate things, that was pretty cool and it felt really huge.

Also Unavoidable Battle is godlike battle music.

Woo 1700 posts

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Ridiculously lucky you are.

I ended up getting Nocturne and DDS 1& 2 at Gamestop, complete used for 17.99 a piece and had store credit.

Of course, this was when they were still going for about 30 bucks on Amazon, then fast forward a few months and they're 20 there.

Wait. I just realised something very wrong with Persona 4. Considering it's been a given staple of not just other Persona games, but also Lucifer's Call, it's a pretty glaring issue. It destroys the entire experience now.

Where in the hell was Nekomata?

Trigger

I have always thought Nekomata had a boring design.

I ended up getting Nocturne and DDS 1& 2 at Gamestop, complete used for 17.99 a piece and had store credit.

Of course, this was when they were still going for about 30 bucks on Amazon, then fast forward a few months and they're 20 there.

I had a physical copy of both, but traded them in for a copy of episodes 2 and 3 of Xenosaga. It was terrible decision in hindsight. :,(

Jintor

I quite loved the plan that the P3 villains put together to sort of orchestrate things, that was pretty cool and it felt really huge.

Really? Most of Strega's work is improvisation.
The only one with a plan gets offed about three seconds after he reveals it.
Personally, the fact that it feels huge is kinda why I didn't like it... I don't think it earns the jump. P4's doesn't either, really, but at least it kind of works up to it better.

Really? There's no plan to P3. It's just things that happen. Most of Strega's work is improvisation.

I guess plan might've been the wrong word-- but that thing is what I mean. The
whole c ult created to orchestrate The Fall, I thought that was, while potentially silly/nonsensical in how it's done, was still cool just for how widespread their efforts became and to the extent it worked.

The only one with a plan gets offed about three seconds after he reveals it.
Personally, the fact that it feels huge is kinda why I didn't like it... I don't think it earns the jump. P4's doesn't either, really, but at least it kind of works up to it better.

Yeah, I definitely get where you're coming from-- and to an extent I feel the same way as well, I think it's mostly just the idea of what it is is what I like about it, really.

Meia

Ah Nocturne, yet another game to play through after the Persona 2s.

And before that, Tomb Raider, but yeah.

Nocturne was my first technical experience with these types of games, but I just cannot do games with almost no story to them. Anything without a narrative kind of loses me. :(

Taruranto

The
cult
thing felt underused, unless you talk to Fuuka in the final months, you barely notice it.

Overall they are pretty meh and forgettable villains.

Astra

Looks like it's still up for $20 new at amazon. I got mine, along with DDS 1&2 for $20 a piece from amazon.ca the summer.

Same here!
I've been going through it at a pretty slow pace, what with several other games on the go right now.

I just finished the part where
the Mantra is taken out. I also fought Hell Biker.
That fight was moderately difficult, until I returned with wind and fire resistance to stop his double attacks.

Dantis

Who's all playing Tomb Raider?

I'm about 3ish hours in and I'm having a really hard time getting into it.

I'm enjoying it so much that I went out and actually bought a copy today for PS3 (I've only rented for 360). First time I've bought a console game on launch since... Something. It's been a long while.

Played about four hours last night, myself. I think it's fantastic. It's really fun and it's GORGEOUS.

Glad you're enjoying it too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom