• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantis

Well, even if the story of a P4A2 wasn't some Eternal Punishment or Continuum Shift situation, they could still decide to have the Investigation Team wear their school uniforms again and then there'd only be sprite recolorings and really minor modifications (like changing
Yosuke and Kanji's hair
), which wouldn't be that difficult to implement.

I think there won't be a P4A2 for a while just because both companies are so busy with their other projects. When a (fighting) game had a really good critical reception and when the (Japanese) sales were fantastic, I don't think you just leave it be with no sequel.

This is an exaggeration. Didn't it sell something like 200k total? That's good, but not fantastic. Puts it up to like 250k worldwide.

Levito

Banned
Still haven't finished Arena, not a big fighting game guy, and I find the story is presented in a pretty lazy way for the most part.

Still lot's of fun to play though.

Still haven't finished Arena, not a big fighting game guy, and I find the story is presented in a pretty lazy way for the most part.

Still lot's of fun to play though.

Neither have I, but considering I've read the Persona threads on GAF, I already know what's happened more or less, so I have little incentive to go and finish it.

FluxWaveZ

I guess it depends on what you'd consider 'fantastic'. It had strong first week sales and then dropped off completely. 250k is good, but nothing too amazing.

Where's that number from? And is that even bad compared to other fighting games on consoles released in Japan?

Squire

Banned
I guess it depends on what you'd consider 'fantastic'. It had strong first week sales and then dropped off completely. 250k is good, but nothing too amazing.

It exceeded expectations. Index was quite taken with it and as Noi points out, arcades are still quite viable/profitable in the region.

It will be surprising if they never dip back into the P4A well.

Noi

Dantis forgets that we're talking about Atlus/Index and not Capcom. They tend to budget their releases so even a 50k sellthrough would break even.

Plus, 200k in Japan for a home release of a healthy arcade game is nothing to sneeze at. Japan has a very healthy used market, so their sales are very front loaded. Hell, Atlus USA was gloating over having shipped every single copy of P4A in their warehouse, who does that unless you've already turned a profit on the game?

I wouldn't be surprised if P4A made it's money back in arcades alone, let alone everything else they've done with it (merchandising and the like).

Squire

Banned
Yeah, I was gonna mention that, too. Everything is relative. Square looks at Dragon Quest numbers and laughs at Persona, but for the money Atlus spends and they expectations they have, P4A hit it out of the park.

FluxWaveZ

Not to mention the fact that the companies were happy with the partnership and that ASW said they'd be ready to do it again if Atlus asked them.

Meia

Whenever I hear "fastest selling" in terms of a game, I just always thought of that as PR speak for "but didn't sell enough." Could just be me being a cynical ass though.

One way or another, I HOPE it did good enough for them, because for a company like Atlus, we need them to take more risks, not less. Less means we don't get Eternal Punishment PSP. That Catherine did really well is great, and if Arena did too, all the better.

FluxWaveZ

Whenever I hear "fastest selling" in terms of a game, I just always thought of that as PR speak for "but didn't sell enough." Could just be me being a cynical ass though.

It's not being cynical, it's just being wrong (in this case). Again, those first week sale numbers of P4A (released only 1 week after its Japanese console release) shows sales in Japan from fighting games released between 2008-2012 and it ranks at #3 behind the FF games. It even beat out big names like Tekken 6, BlazBlue, MvC3 and SSFIV.

I don't know about total sale numbers and how they compare to the other games, but this undoubtedly shows that P4A actually was one of the "fastest selling" fighting games.

Meia

Nah, when I say PR speak, I'm not saying it's incorrect, it has to be, but it's correct without saying the whole story.

Did it sell faster than other fighting games? Well, they said it, so it's likely. Did it sell that much over enough a time period for it to even matter? That's what I mean when I say "PR speak". That they haven't really supported the game once they threw it out the door is kind of worrisome and tells me "No."

Squire

Banned
There's a lot of perspective you're missing of ignoring. They patched P4As online and there was DLC for it, so yeah, it's been supported. Past that, Arc has things to do as does Atlus. If the kind of support that would indicate success to you is a re-release every year or constant balance patching then your expectations just weren't realistic to start. It's a fun crossover that they were happy to see taken seriously on any level competitively, but neither company can afford to babysit it.

There's been multiple indications it was a success though. "Fastest selling" isn't usually PR speak or spin, it's an achievement being pointed out. It's fact or false.

FluxWaveZ

Nah, when I say PR speak, I'm not saying it's incorrect, it has to be, but it's correct without saying the whole story.

Did it sell faster than other fighting games? Well, they said it, so it's likely. Did it sell that much over enough a time period for it to even matter? That's what I mean when I say "PR speak". That they haven't really supported the game once they threw it out the door is kind of worrisome and tells me "No."

There's a lot of perspective you're missing of ignoring. They patched P4As online and there was DLC for it, so yeah, it's been supported. Past that, Arc has things to do as does Atlus. If the kind of support that would indicate success to you is a re-release every year or constant balance patching then your expectations just weren't realistic to start. It's a fun crossover that they were happy to see taken seriously on any level competitively, but neither company can afford to babysit it.

There's been multiple indications it was a success though. "Fastest selling" isn't usually PR speak or spin, it's an achievement being pointed out. It's fact or false.

Precisely. Not to mention that the initial report of it being one of the fastest selling fighting games wasn't reported by Atlus or Index themselves, but by people going through the sale numbers.

Dantis

Dantis pls. P4A was great. Once it comes to Europe, you will agree!

Haha, I would be very, very surprised if I felt this way.

It doesn't affect me if they continue the series, but I would prefer that they didn't shift resources (Such as Meguro and Soejima) onto it. I am also concerned that a sequel would further bastardize the story.

Haha, I would be very, very surprised if I felt this way.

It doesn't affect me if they continue the series, but I would prefer that they didn't shift resources (Such as Meguro and Soejima) onto it. I am also concerned that a sequel would further bastardize the story.

Kaneko and Atlus Sound Team are superior assets, but I wont complain.

"I am also concerned that a sequel would further bastardize the story."

They did this when Persona 3 was released. :)

Sophia

Nonsense, they did it when the first Persona was released! Or back when If... was released!

Dantis

It is concerning how frequently you bring up your distaste for Persona 3 in conversations that aren't to do with Persona 3. :p

But Sophia, 1 didnt have a story!

And Dantis, I actually like Persona 3, remember I just bought FES on PS3 a few days ago! It still is my least favorite though, and nou

FluxWaveZ

Despite not loving the how fragmented P4A's story was, I enjoyed it and the Labrys thing was well done, even though I was hesitant at first because she was yet another robot girl. I was mostly okay with the story, however, because of what might come from it in the future, a lot like how I tolerate Persona 1's existence because it lead to P2.

It'd probably be difficult to give a reason for why the cast needs to fight each other again for a P4A2, although I suppose there are ways of writing around that.

Honestly, I'd like a P4A2 just for all the new characters we could see. The story would be a bonus, really.

I'd just love to see some characters from the P2 Duology and Junpei/Yukari from P3 at the least (though more characters wouldn't hurt in the slightest).

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, really, it all comes down to the concept of a Persona fighting game being awesome along with dream matchups and fanservice. The more I think about it, the more P4A was such a great idea. The concept of Personas fighting alongside the player characters is a great one for a fighting game and it was executed so well. Then there's the unique way that each member of the cast fights.

Dantis

Despite not loving the how fragmented P4A's story was, I enjoyed it and the Labrys thing was well done, even though I was hesitant at first because she was yet another robot girl. I was mostly okay with the story, however, because of what might come from it in the future, a lot like how I tolerate Persona 1's existence because it lead to P2.

It'd probably be difficult to give a reason for why the cast needs to fight each other again for a P4A2, although I suppose there are ways of writing around that.

To each their own I guess. It was very much not what I wanted.

Dantis

What did you particularly dislike from P4A's story? (I assume you saw everything on Youtube) There's really only so much they can do inside the confines of a fighting game.

Everything. Teddie had some funny lines. Everything else was turd.

I've covered it before, I probably shouldn't derail this into my own problems, haha.

cjkeats

I started P1 for like the fourth time last night. You know what I hope never returns? Distributing skill points. I can never do it without second guessing myself.

FluxWaveZ

Everything. Teddie had some funny lines. Everything else was turd.

I've covered it before, I probably shouldn't derail this into my own problems, haha.

Yeah, for some reason I'm forgetting, but I feel like this discussion's been had before.

Regardless! What I didn't like was heavy reliance on abusing some of the characters' recognizable characteristics like Yukiko's cooking, Chie's love of meat and Kanji's stupidity.

But it's not like we were on rails in the first place... I wonder if "Persona 4 Golden" will be the last substantial "Persona 4" product.

I started P1 for like the fourth time last night. You know what I hope never returns? Distributing skill points. I can never do it without second guessing myself.

Put it all into TEC. Always.

cj_iwakura

VIT is broken in P1(I think), it increases most of the stats across the board.
Never mind, it's TEC as said above.

I always like that feature, you can make or break the game as much as you want.

Dantis

Yeah, for some reason I'm forgetting, but I feel like this discussion's been had before.

Regardless! What I didn't like was heavy reliance on abusing some of the characters' recognizable characteristics like Yukiko's cooking, Chie's love of meat and Kanji's stupidity.

But it's not like we were on rails in the first place... I wonder if "Persona 4 Golden" will be the last substantial "Persona 4" product.

This is one of the many things that I complained about.

And I'm done with P4 at this point. No more Investigation Team. No more Hirata. No more Yasogami Fucking High. If they insist on continuing it, I want it to be post-epilogue.

And if Arena 2 gets announced before P5, I am going to be so fucking mad.

cjkeats

Put it all into TEC. Always.
See I never feel comfortable leaving everything else low, like I'm gonna regret it later.

VIT is broken in P1(I think), it increases most of the stats across the board.
Never mind, it's TEC as said above.

I always like that feature, you can make or break the game as much as you want.

From the little I read trying to understand how it works I read that TEC was the thing. Maybe. No one seemed to ever agree.
I don't like it because games rarely ever explain it or what the stats mean or how they will affect your character in the long run.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
See I never feel comfortable leaving everything else low, like I'm gonna regret it later.

From the little I read trying to understand how it works I read that TEC was the thing. Maybe. No one seemed to ever agree.
I don't like it because games rarely ever explain it or what the stats mean or how they will affect your character in the long run.

I always thought it was pretty straightforward.

St = Strength (physical attacks)
Vi = Vitality (more health which is always a good thing)
Tec = Technical Skills (more SP/higher damage with specials)
Ag = Agility (increasing the probality of dodging attacks)
Luck = (Higher chance for Crits and lessens the probability of being affected by status effects)

Oh double post. whoops.

Sophia

Part of the reason why they went with the reliance on character traits is because there isn't much of a story to tell. It's a sidestory, plain and simple. About the equivalent of one story arc in P3/P4 or four drama CDs. They really should have just condensed it down to the four mandatory story modes (P4 team, Shadow Operatives, Labrys, Elizabeth)

Dantis

Part of the reason why they went with the reliance on character traits is because there isn't much of a story to tell. It's a sidestory, plain and simple. About the equivalent of one story arc in P3/P4 or four drama CDs. They really should have just condensed it down to the four mandatory story modes (P4 team, Shadow Operatives, Labrys, Elizabeth)

I agree with all of this.

I feel like the excessive monologues and individual stories were there to pad the length, plain and simple, so that they could say "See! It's as long as a JRPG!".

FluxWaveZ

Part of the reason why they went with the reliance on character traits is because there isn't much of a story to tell. They really should have just condensed it down to the four mandatory story modes (P4 team, Shadow Operatives, Labrys, Elizabeth)

Hell, I probably said this before in the other community thread, but I would have been perfectly fine with condensing it into a single story mode chapter like a straight up MK9 situation of jumping from character to character and a potentially more dynamic experience.

I like the inner monologues giving us an idea of the individual characters' thoughts, but it's not enough. Being able to say that the story mode is 20-30 hours long as a bullet point is all fine and good, but there wasn't actually much going on and if it could have been a shorter but richer experience, then I would have preferred that.

cj_iwakura

I agree with all of this.

I feel like the excessive monologues and individual stories were there to pad the length, plain and simple, so that they could say "See! It's as long as a JRPG!".

It's one enjoyable P4 story(way too spread out), and four amazing P3 ones.

BB's story is overall far better done, as every character gets a totally unique arc(ending on Hazama and/or Mu aside).

cjkeats

I always thought it was pretty straightforward.

St = Strength (physical attacks)
Vi = Vitality (more health which is always a good thing)
Tec = Technical Skills (more SP/higher damage with specials)
Ag = Agility (increasing the probality of dodging attacks)
Luck = (Higher chance for Crits and lessens the probability of being affected by status effects)

Oh double post. whoops.

That's the thing, it wasn't straight forward about it. It just dumped you to a skill list after a battle you didn't even control.
And even with that basic knowledge, I still have no idea what to do because I have no idea how the skill system even works.
manuals are for chumps
I know, its Persona 1, so I guess I can't expect too much.

Dantis

It's one enjoyable P4 story(way too spread out), and four amazing P3 ones.

Disagree. Before I saw it, I remember saying "I don't see how they could make a good story around this premise", and I absolutely feel like I was right.

I'd have rather had a nonsensical DOA5-style story than what we got. It tries so hard to be serious and it just makes me roll my eyes.

Sophia

Hell, I probably said this before in the other community thread, but I would have been perfectly fine with condensing it into a single story mode chapter like a straight up MK9 situation of jumping from character to character and a potentially more dynamic experience.

I like the inner monologues giving us an idea of the individual characters' thoughts, but it's not enough. Being able to say that the story mode is 20-30 hours long as a bullet point is all fine and good, but there wasn't actually much going on and if it could have been a shorter but richer experience, then I would have preferred that.

I agree about having it done like MK9. Specifically for the P4 cast, as there's very little to tell there.

The P3 stories are on the whole a lot better. Yu's story mode has nothing outside of his interactions with Aigis and Elizabeth, and Yukiko and Chie's story modes just go over the same content as Yosuke, except without any character development. Kanji's story mode just 100% side-stuff/hilarity.

The most surprising story mode was Teddie's tho, seeing as how a good portion of it was serious and pretty well done.

Disagree. Before I saw it, I remember saying "I don't see how they could make a good story around this premise", and I absolutely feel like I was right.

I'd have rather had a nonsensical DOA5-style story than what we got. It tries so hard to be serious and it just makes me roll my eyes.

He's quite right tho. The four P3 characters on the whole have much better story modes than anything among the P4's cast. I've said this before, but it feels like the game has more to do with Persona 3 than it does Persona 4.

cj_iwakura

That's the thing, it wasn't straight forward about it. It just dumped you to a skill list after a battle you didn't even control.
And even with that basic knowledge, I still have no idea what to do because I have no idea how the skill system even works. [spoilers]manuals are for chumps[/spoiler].
I know, its Persona 1, so I guess I can't expect too much.

The one nifty thing about P1 that only P1 has is that everyone gets a melee and a firearm.

Sophia

Ace of Spades: why are gamespot people on giant bomb streaming naruto
Omi: budget cuts at CBS
Omi: quiet night tonight, eh?
Ace of Spades: yep
Omi: I'd chat more, but I'm working
Princess Sophia: :(
Princess Sophia: Too quiet
Princess Sophia: we need Dantis in here
Dantis entered chat.
Ace of Spades: so yea i turned on giant bomb
Ace of Spades: WHAT
Omi: LOL

PersonaGAF is magical. :D

cj_iwakura

There's a good dose of comedy in the game, but I enjoyed the seriousness, so YMMV. Experiencing a story mode through youtube really isn't indicative of much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom