• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjkeats

You have good taste, sir.

Yeah, Graces is easily the worst Tales story I've ever experienced. If you can, play Vesperia and/or Abyss. Though Abyss has pacing issues, and the story was really dragged on. Still, I really liked most of the characters.

I liked Tear but good god the protagonist is fucking unbearable.
I know he supposedly comes around whenever he cuts his hair or whatever happens, but goddamn he's the worst.

Hey, a new page:
EVAftgM.jpg

Daimaou

What do you guys generally think of other RPG franchises? I've always been turned off by Tales art style and the dated-looking gameplay.

Outside of MegaTen, I'd probably only really claim to be a fan of the Mother/Earthbound series. Some of the other franchises/series have some one-offs that I like, but they're generally exceptions.

Some examples:
I like FF6-8 and Tactics, and that's basically it.
I like Chrono Trigger, but not Cross.
I like SaGa Frontier, but not 2 (though I haven't played any of the other SaGa games save that one really weird board game-y one that was awful)
I like the first Parasite Eve (do second and third even count as RPGs?)
I liked Tales of Destiny, but Symphonia bored me and I haven't been interested in the series since.

I could go on, but I think you get the idea. I have really weird and particular tastes.

Squire

Banned
I keep telling myself to try the Tales series at some point, but I never do.

I kepp dismissing it, but P4G opened me back up to the genre in general after a few years if not being very taken with it.

P4G, FFX, DQ8, and KH2 are definitely my favorite JRPGS.
I love both Valkyria Chronicles
I love BioWare's games from this generation in particular.

Astra

I liked Tear but good god the protagonist is fucking unbearable.
I know he supposedly comes around whenever he cuts his hair or whatever happens, but goddamn he's the worst.

Hey, a new page:

he is unbearable throughout the whole game. He just goes from one extreme to the other.

Astra

Well, guess that 3DS cart gets pushed even further back in my "to play" queue.

I hope that Vita one that just cames out comes over.

There's a Vita Tales? I hope it does come here.
Playing Fire Emblem on the 3DS and my hands are killing me. My hands miss the Vita.

As bad as Luke is, I still loved Abyss for the other characters and the story (for the most part. Just that pacing.)

cjkeats

There's a Vita Tales? I hope it does come here.
Playing Fire Emblem on the 3DS and my hands are killing me. My hands miss the Vita.

As bad as Luke is, I still loved Abyss for the other characters and the story (for the most part. Just that pacing.)
I'll give it a go again someday. Maybe now it'll be better with the XL.
Tales of Innocence R. It's a big overhaul of the DS one. I think it came out in january, but people in Japan were posting pics of the giant collectors edition on twitter this week for some reason.
Fire Emblem is worth the pain.

Trigger

I kepp dismissing it, but P4G opened me back up to the genre in general after a few years if not being very taken with it.

P4G, FFX, DQ8, and KH2 are definitely my favorite JRPGS.
I love both Valkyria Chronicles
I love BioWare's games from this generation in particular.

You've got good taste.

Noi

Graces F has ONLY its gameplay going for it.

And that alone makes it better than the rest!

Mind you, I've long since cared for story in my games. If the game itself is boring, no amount of plot can save it. Xilia's reversal to the eh TP-based system that Team Symphonia uses instead of the awesome CC-based one from Team Destiny makes me apathetic to it, among other reasons why Xilia isn't that well liked.

Astra

I'll give it a go again someday. Maybe now it'll be better with the XL.
Tales of Innocence R. It's a big overhaul of the DS one. I think it came out in january, but people in Japan were posting pics of the giant collectors edition on twitter this week for some reason.
Fire Emblem is worth the pain.

Ah that's right. I recall hearing about that one. I was going to import Innocence on the DS and use the fan translation, but never got around to it. Hopefully we get it here on the Vita then.

I wish I had an XL for FE, but you're right that it is worth the pain. I'm really loving it and having a lot of fun. Art style is still off putting to me.

Noi, I really did enjoy Graces battle system, but the horrendous plot and shitty characters made it impossible for me to press on. Why can't we have the complete package of good story and game play?

what was the tales game where they released two different versions with the only difference being one had a realistic* CG opening and the other had an anime opening?

*JRPG realistic

Noi

Noi, I really did enjoy Graces battle system, but the horrendous plot and shitty characters made it impossible for me to press on. Why can't we have the complete package of good story and game play?

See, I really didn't mind the plot in Graces. It's nothing stellar and revolutionary, but whatever you're never going to get a Shakespearean plot out of tales games. I'd rather the games stay silly like Graces did.

what was the tales game where they released two different versions with the only difference being one had a realistic* CG opening and the other had an anime opening?

*JRPG realistic

That was Hearts.

toh_comparison.gif

cjkeats

I wish I had an XL for FE, but you're right that it is worth the pain. I'm really loving it and having a lot of fun. Art style is still off putting to me.
My friend was playing on her regular 3DS and I thought it looked noticeably better than on my XL, which i strange because usually I don't notice anything like that.
Eh, the art style is the same anime art style that's in 90% of other JRPGs, don't bother me at all.

EDIT: OH THAT'S IT! Tales of Hearts R was released this week on Vita, and that's what I was seeing around twitter! So there are two on vita.

Soma

Great when I finally get the itch to play Persona 4 again my PS2 disc fucks up on me.

Oh well clearly this is a sign that I need to finish up Innocent Sin first anyways.

Dantis

you literally just drew a hatsune miku picture i don't see why you're saying "ew"
it should be right up your alley

I hate Labrys' design. I think it's vile.

I drew it just 'cos.

What do you guys generally think of other RPG franchises? I've always been turned off by Tales art style and the dated-looking gameplay.

I dislike most of them. I liked Radiant Historia a lot, and I really like what I've played of Resonance of Fate, but that's about it.

Astra

See, I really didn't mind the plot in Graces. It's nothing stellar and revolutionary, but whatever you're never going to get a Shakespearean plot out of tales games. I'd rather the games stay silly like Graces did.

Well of course not. Tales stories are never great, but Graces just rubbed me the wrong way. The characters most of all. Even the silly Pascal couldn't save it.

My friend was playing on her regular 3DS and I thought it looked noticeably better than on my XL, which i strange because usually I don't notice anything like that.
Eh, the art style is the same anime art style that's in 90% of other JRPGs, don't bother me at all.

EDIT: OH THAT'S IT Tales of Hearts R was released this week on Vita, and that's what I was seeing around twitter! So they're are two on vita.

Yeah, the style just doesn't fit with FE Imo. Not like it's a deal breaker, some characters still have the FE look, mainly Chrom.

Noi

They all look pretty same-ish. I might try Xillia.

There's two distinct differences, really. The games that fall under the "Team Symphonia" banner use the TP system that's common for the more popular Tales games (Symphonia, Abyss, Vesperia). It plays more like your typical RPG in that you have your go to MP meter, limits to how much you can attack before you have to stop, etc.

"Team Destiny" games use a more actiony Chain Capacity system, which makes the games play much more like action-RPGs. You have a CC gauge that commands everything you can do in battle, and you can keep performing actions as long as you have CC. I much prefer this system to the TP-based one cause it pushes the games more towards the ACTION part of action RPG (among other things that Graces does perfectly like allowing you to adjust difficulty on the fly and rewarding you for playing on higher difficulties).

el-oh-el. look at that last one.

Hearts was great, but there's a good reason why the 3D version was very quickly forgotten. :lol

I don't think Hearts R looks too hot though. It seems pretty stale.

cjkeats

It's getting to the point where I'm almost as excited for P5 to be revealed just to see what parts Dantis hates, than to just see it myself. :p

Squire

Banned
I seriously think that Dantis does like her but he is too proud to admit it

Yep.

There's two distinct differences, really. The games that fall under the "Team Symphonia" banner use the TP system that's common for the more popular Tales games (Symphonia, Abyss, Vesperia). It plays more like your typical RPG in that you have your go to MP meter, limits to how much you can attack before you have to stop, etc.

"Team Destiny" games use a more actiony Chain Capacity system, which makes the games play much more like action-RPGs. You have a CC gauge that commands everything you can do in battle, and you can keep performing actions as long as you have CC. I much prefer this system to the TP-based one cause it pushes the games more towards the ACTION part of action RPG (among other things that Graces does perfectly like allowing you to adjust difficulty on the fly and rewarding you for playing on higher difficulties).

So where does Xillia fall?

Dantis

It's getting to the point where I'm almost as excited for P5 to be revealed just to see what parts Dantis hates, than to just see it myself. :p

Let's be honest, the chances of me disliking some aspects of it are rather high.

The question is, to what extent? I have wondered how far they'd have to take it for me to say "I'm not playing this". Yakuza 5 managed it with dance battles, so I assume something like that would also apply to Persona.

cjkeats

Let's be honest, the chances of me disliking some aspects of it are rather high.

The question is, to what extent? I have wondered how far they'd have to take it for me to say "I'm not playing this". Yakuza 5 managed it with dance battles, so I assume something like that would also apply to Persona.

See that's where I try to take it differently. Instead of seeing something like Y5's dance battles and saying "fuck this shit it's terrible", I like to take whatever it is and give it a fair chance. Something as little as that shouldn't keep you away from something you love. I'm certainly not going to let a rhythm dance battle minigame keep me away from the madness that is Y5, especially when it's Sega, who make awesome rhythm games.

Or you could always just be an old grouch, whatever floats your boat.

Noi

See that's where I try to take it differently. Instead of seeing something like Y5's dance battles and saying "fuck this shit it's terrible", I like to take whatever it is and give it a fair chance. Something as little as that shouldn't keep you away from something you love. I'm certainly not going to let a rhythm dance battle minigame keep me away from the madness that is Y5, especially when it's Sega, who make awesome rhythm games.

Dantis doesn't like the silly aspects of Yakuza. Which is total madness to me and one of the reasons why I even play the games.

Dantis

Different strokes for different folks. I can tell that I'd hate it from watching the videos. I'm sure the gameplay is fine (Though I don't enjoy rhythm games in general), but the visuals and audio would put me right off. I find them creepy.

rObit

Banned
Hey guys, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but it seemed like the best fit for me.

I just finished P4 Golden for the first time (fuuuuuuck). As someone new to JRPG's in general, where do you guys recommend I go from here? I'd value strong characters and story over combat mechanics, if that helps at all. Would I be better suited to go back to P3 and play through that, or is there another series that might also scratch a similar itch? I probably won't do a second playthrough of P4, though I might watch Giantbomb's ER to see how they did things and have some commentary to go along with the game. (also to see the differences between PS2 and Golden)

I'd appreciate any help, sort of lost in an unfamiliar realm here.

Meia

What if the robot girl was a portable hot spring....?

What about hot springs for robot girls? Hot oil springs?

To the above, can't go wrong with persona 3 fes honestly. Has strong characters, only thing you need to get used to is managing your party's actions since you can't control them.

Hey guys, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but it seemed like the best fit for me.

I just finished P4 Golden for the first time (fuuuuuuck). As someone new to JRPG's in general, where do you guys recommend I go from here? I'd value strong characters and story over combat mechanics, if that helps at all. Would I be better suited to go back to P3 and play through that, or is there another series that might also scratch a similar itch? I probably won't do a second playthrough of P4, though I might watch Giantbomb's ER to see how they did things and have some commentary to go along with the game. (also to see the differences between PS2 and Golden)

If strong characters and story are REALLY what you value, I would suggest Persona 2 Innocent Sin PSP and Persona 2 Eternal Punishment PS1

cjkeats

Go for P3FES or P3P. Like Meia said, you can't control your party in FES, but you can in Portable at the sacrifice of the anime cutscenes and 3D world(the dungeons are 3D, but outside of that isn't). It's a never ending debate, but personally I'd rather portable just for the lady protagonist route.
P1 and P2 are downright painful to play these days.

Trigger

Persona FES then Persona 3 Portable then Persona 2.

Noi

Seeing this, a list of the ones you HAVE played would help!

Meia

It would help if people were to recommend something like persona 1, some beginner's tips would be appreciated as I got about 5 hours in before I threw it out a window. :p

2 at least has some helpful non-spoiler guides here and there that help you through the battles just so you can see the story. Haven't seen much in the way of the same thing for 1. There's quite a bit of culture shock going from 3 and 4 to the old school ones.

Jintor

It would help if people were to recommend something like persona 1, some beginner's tips would be appreciated as I got about 5 hours in before I threw it out a window. :p

2 at least has some helpful non-spoiler guides here and there that help you through the battles just so you can see the story. Haven't seen much in the way of the same thing for 1. There's quite a bit of culture shock going from 3 and 4 to the old school ones.

also, isometric shock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom