• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed though I can only speak for P2: IS at the moment.

I keep hearing how 'dated' the game mechanics of the first two were before jumping into it but I've had a lot of fun with Innocent Sin. Much more than I anticipated.

Indeed. While Eternal Punishment is just the PS1 version, I actually feel that it works better than Innocent Sin PSP due to better gameplay balance, fights can actually be a challenge and not as high encounter rate.

Meia, sorry, I could have given you some tips. People say Persona 1 has the worst story and characterization, and they would be right, but I will always still love that game.

cjkeats

It would help if people were to recommend something like persona 1, some beginner's tips would be appreciated as I got about 5 hours in before I threw it out a window. :p

2 at least has some helpful non-spoiler guides here and there that help you through the battles just so you can see the story. Haven't seen much in the way of the same thing for 1. There's quite a bit of culture shock going from 3 and 4 to the old school ones.

Aparently there are multiple endings, and I was just reading about them from our very own FluxwaveZ over on Giant Bomb.

I haven't really found a spoiler free guide, but I'm worried now about going down the wrong route.

Dantis

Indeed. While Eternal Punishment is just the PS1 version, I actually feel that it works better than Innocent Sin PSP due to better gameplay balance, fights can actually be a challenge and not as high encounter rate.

Meia, sorry, I could have given you some tips. People say Persona 1 has the worst story and characterization, and they would be right, but I will always still love that game.

The ending is really excellent though. All of the Persona games have such strong endings. They put other series' to shame.

rObit

Banned
Seeing this, a list of the ones you HAVE played would help!

I did....Persona 4: Golden...>.>

I know

Go for P3FES or P3P. Like Meia said, you can't control your party in FES, but you can in Portable at the sacrifice of the anime cutscenes and 3D world(the dungeons are 3D, but outside of that isn't). It's a never ending debate, but personally I'd rather portable just for the lady protagonist route.
P1 and P2 are downright painful to play these days.

Hmm. if the anime sequences are anything like those in P4, I would really like to see them. On the other hand, I really enjoyed playing Golden on the Vita, and would like to do that again if I had the opportunity, so that's got me leaning towards Portable.

If strong characters and story are REALLY what you value, I would suggest Persona 2 Innocent Sin PSP and Persona 2 Eternal Punishment PS1

Also, I appreciate this recommendation and I'll probably get there eventually, but for someone as new to the genre as me I'll probably play it safe.

Thanks all! Seems like I have some thinking to do, but you've helped me at least know that it's safe to stay within the Persona series.

I know

Hmm. if the anime sequences are anything like those in P4, I would really like to see them. On the other hand, I really enjoyed playing Golden on the Vita, and would like to do that again if I had the opportunity, so that's got me leaning towards Portable.

Also, I appreciate this recommendation and I'll probably get there eventually, but for someone as new to the genre as me I'll probably play it safe.

Thanks all! Seems like I have some thinking to do, but you've helped me at least know that it's safe to stay within the Persona series.

No prob, but I wouldn't play Persona 1 if I were you, fans and haters of it alike usually agree it has the worst gameplay and worst story...It's characters aren't bad per say, Persona 2 features quite a bit of Persona 1 characters, and they are much more interesting and fleshed out there. BTW if you ever do go to Persona 2, feel free to drop by and ask for some advice!...well, for any game of the series you want to play really.

rObit

Banned
BTW if you ever do go to Persona 2, feel free to drop by and ask for some advice!...well, for any game of the series you want to play really.

Thanks, I will. I'd been avoiding the Persona threads since I was knee-deep in 4, but now that I checked in and saw the spoiler policy, I'll probably be checking in here often, even if I don't have much of my own to contribute. The universe definitely has me hooked now.

Time for my obligatory "PLAY PERSONA 3 FES" post.

PLAY PERSONA 3 FES

Bu..but...the pretty Vita OLED =(

FluxWaveZ

Aparently there are multiple endings, and I was just reading about them from our very own FluxwaveZ over on Giant Bomb.

I haven't really found a spoiler free guide, but I'm worried now about going down the wrong route.

Right. Still gotta play that again so I don't mess up and finally get the good ending. Or not.

Bu..but...the pretty Vita OLED =(

That's fine. Just know that even the developers regretted what they had to do to P3P to make it work with the PSP and that the visual novel treatment and no anime cutscenes deals such a heavy blow to the presentation that I would have regretted it if that was my first experience with Persona 3. Persona 3 FES is the best game in the series to me, though that might be because it's the first one I played.

Noi

I know

lol, that makes things easier then.

This thread will likely cover any SMT/Persona entries, so here's some common entry-level JRPGs to look into otherwise are Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy IV/VII/X, and the Paper Mario series.

Dantis

That's fine. Just know that even the developers regretted what they had to do to P3P to make it work with the PSP and that the visual novel treatment and no anime cutscenes deals such a heavy blow to the presentation that I would have regretted it if that was my first experience with Persona 3. Persona 3 FES is the best game in the series to me, though that might be because it's the first one I played.

Well, Hashino did, but he didn't make it. I'd imagine that the team that worked on it thought it was the best thing ever.

I agree that it's best to play FES first though. P3P is excellent (And people massively exaggerate its flaws), but FES is the best way to experience the story.

Meia

This is kind of the problem. There are a LOT of sequences that don't have anything to do with the anime cutscene, but things acted out by the in-game models. These are also NOT in the P3P version. First time through, I think anyone would really do themselves a disservice not experiencing the story this way, as they kind of did a crap job with a lot of scenes in P3P.

Visual novel format works if there's nothing really happening with character models. When there is, you lose a LOT. Really shocked me playing through Fes on PSN for the first time since it's release after playing through P3P a few times since and seeing how much more of an impact some things have.

And I wouldn't mind actually giving 1 a shot(even though the toilet demons in one of the early areas spamming Mudoon(which, to my immense delight, wasn't just a possible instant kill, but did heavy damage too!), it's just that while the game does explain some systems, others you're kind of left clueless on, and are forced to drudge your way through. Things like which skills are better than others, which persona types for which areas, not even knowing something called Estoma existed......

rObit

Banned
Right. Still gotta play that again so I don't mess up and finally get the good ending. Or not.

This is kind of the problem. There are a LOT of sequences that don't have anything to do with the anime cutscene, but things acted out by the in-game models. These are also NOT in the P3P version. First time through, I think anyone would really do themselves a disservice not experiencing the story this way, as they kind of did a crap job with a lot of scenes in P3P.

Visual novel format works if there's nothing really happening with character models. When there is, you lose a LOT. Really shocked me playing through Fes on PSN for the first time since it's release after playing through P3P a few times since and seeing how much more of an impact some things have.

aaaannnd you both just swayed me.

lol, that makes things easier then.

This thread will likely cover any SMT/Persona entries, so here's some common entry-level JRPGs to look into otherwise are Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy IV/VII/X, and the Paper Mario series.

Thanks, I might jump in to FF at some point, and their numbering system always confused me so I'll keep those ones in mind.

I hope P5 is all robot girls and they go to a hotspring the first day
and die from the water and steam and their bodies explode and destroy the hotspring.

Mazre

Greetings Persona GAF.

Finished up 2 back to back playthroughs of P4G last week. As I mentioned in the P4G thread this was my first introduction to Persona (and SMT) even though I'd long heard positive things about the series.

Getting back into Ni No Kuni now, but I wouldn't be surprised if I get interrupted again...

tlKXrOk.png

Trigger

Greetings Persona GAF.

Finished up 2 back to back playthroughs of P4G last week. As I mentioned in the P4G thread this was my first introduction to Persona (and SMT) even though I'd long heard positive things about the series.

Getting back into Ni No Kuni now, but I wouldn't be surprised if I get interrupted again...

tlKXrOk.png

iblwaHBzRSEgrz.gif

One of us one of us one of us

Meia

IT HAS BEGUN.

Have fun, the games almost always are. Though expect to get annihilated with Nocturne, golden is very *very* easy when it comes to these games. :p

FluxWaveZ

Browsing through the Persona Portal, I found something pretty funny:

ehtN0Ljl.jpg

That mystery site theme at the bottom right. I wonder how long it's been a mystery for and what the purpose is of even having a hidden theme is. Maybe they forgot about it.

Meia

I'll take any sign of life about persona 5 at this point. :p

And I may or may not have just pre-ordered the new Chie statue. This is not the first time I've bought something like this, but the first time I've bought one this expensive, and pre-ordered it. I'm hopeless, lol.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

And I may or may not have just pre-ordered the new Chie statue. This is not the first time I've bought something like this, but the first time I've bought one this expensive, and pre-ordered it. I'm hopeless, lol.

zKMcKDn.jpg

This is the first and last little trinket I'd buy. That stuff is way too expensive for my blood.

cjkeats

I really want that new Rise one, but money is way too tight to afford an overpriced statue.
As for other Persona goodies, my first figure was a Figma Aigis that turned out to be a knock off and her arm and leg fell off right out of the box. Kinda like in Jingle all the Way when he get's that fake Turbo Man and the dudes all like "some assembly required".

After that I ordered the Figma Chie and she was real, and I got 3 of the one-coin figures, which come seperate and you don't know which you're gonna get. I wanted Rise so I got 3 and hoped for the best, and the first I opened was Rise, and I was stoked.

Meia

That spoiler one is really nice looking.

Have been tempted to do the one-coin figures, but knowing my luck I'd get a few of the same ones.

I told myself I wouldn't get the figma ones as they seem pricey, then I go and get something like this, so sooner or later I'll probably nab them too. I love how posable they are, but at the same token the very visible ball joints kind of put me off the whole thing.

And chibi Chie is adorable.

Squire

Banned
The thing about figures is that while they're collectible, that's all they are. You can collect games, but then you probably also play them (your collected copies are probably seperate and sealed.) You listen to music, you watch movies, you read books.

Figures, you can put on display or take photos, but it's still not quite the same. And they're so expensive you most likely won't double down on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom