• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dragon's Dogma was my game of the year 2012. Finally an open world RPG with good combat. Climbing up a Cyclops to stab him in the eye was soooo good. You really need to play it for a bit to open up a lot of skills and classes so you can find your perfect playstyle.

Dantis

Dragon's Dogma was my game of the year 2012. Finally an open world RPG with good combat. Climbing up a Cyclops to stab him in the eye was soooo good. You really need to play it for a bit to open up a lot of skills and classes so you can find your perfect playstyle.

Too clunky for me. The art direction was neat though.

I hope you're not implying what I think you're implying, because that would be reading into this way too much.

Levito

Banned
No, but someone posted color templates for Persona 4 colors. So I'm going to get the dyes ASAP and give my character the Izanagi colors. His outfit reminds me of Izanagi.
Thinking back, I really wish I did make a Persona character, haha. In Dragon's Dogma, I made my pawn Chie. I think I did a somewhat decent job of making her look similar to her.

I'm going to Izanagi that up.

Awesome! Are you part of GAFwars 2 by chance?

EDIT: Nevermind I see that you have! GAFwars is a really great community, we've even got 3 developers from ArenaNet in our guild!

Tamanon

Banned
This is the weirdest thing to suddenly notice in the ending of Persona 4 Animation....the tarot cards twirling above Yu while Beauty of Destiny only show the S-links he has made at that point in the series, the rest are whited out. This seems to change each episode. For instance, after fighting Chie's shadow, you only have Magician and Fool, but then the next episode you have Magician, Fool and Chariot.

Weird detail but nice!

Astra

Awesome! Are you part of GAFwars 2 by chance?

EDIT: Nevermind I see that you have! GAFwars is a really great community, we've even got 3 developers from ArenaNet in our guild!

I did! Though I have not had the chance to join GAF on any quests or anything. I'll be able to play again after this weekend, so I hope there's some adventure to be had soon.
I'm completely new to the whole MMO thing, so I look forward to it.

FluxWaveZ

Is that an official page?

It is Zen United's official Persona 4 Arena Facebook page, yes. They post a lot of fan art and stuff.

Even if that P3 vs P4 comment is just something to say associated with that cool fan art, it seems a bit insensitive to people still waiting in Europe when P4A is practically that, or at the very least a Persona 4 fighter.

FluxWaveZ

I don't understand what you mean.

You mean because there are already P3 characters in it?

Well, yeah. Not counting the newcomers, 40% of the roster is composed of Persona 3 characters. I'd say that's pretty much a P3 vs. P4, no? It's not the whole cast, obviously, but it's a significant amount.

And, as mentioned above, even if you don't count it as one they're basically taunting fans who can't play the game with an idea of a Persona themed fighter.

Meia

Not to mention while the story structure is a persona 4 story, the only good narrative is really given to the P3 cast. Ah well.

Squire

Banned
Eh, if it was meant to be P3 vs. P4 it would probably be called that and there wouldn't be a roster deficit on P3's end.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, it's really just in the context of that Facebook comment, but I do feel that it's disingenuous to call P4A a "Persona 4 fighter" when almost half of the playable cast is from Persona 3. Plus, "Persona 4" is the stronger name purely in terms of brand right now.

It'll be weird if they ever make a sequel to P4A, call it "P4A: something" and most of the roster isn't actually from Persona 4.

Squire

Banned
The stages, music, art, general aesthetic are all mostly lifted from P4. The actual fighters are the most important element of any fighting game, but you still have to look at the package as a whole. From that perspective, P4A is definitely P4: The Fighting Game.

The stages, music, art, general aesthetic are all mostly lifted from P4. The actual fighters are the most important element of any fighting game, but you still have to look at the package as a whole. From that perspective, P4A is definitely P4: The Fighting Game.

or just look at the package of the game, which is titled persona 4

FluxWaveZ

That's fair enough, although the story mode places a heavy emphasis on Persona 3. Again, it was just in the context of that FB post.

Speaking of the aesthetic, I always thought it would be funny if P4A had a Super Smash Bros. style chanting mechanic where a character who was doing awesome would have their name called by the crowd.

Squire

Banned
I wouldn't mind that! It's pretty much the craziest fighter to come out since SSB. No one saw either game coming, but they're both really great.

God, Melee is so God-tier.

FluxWaveZ

Heh, seems that the only genre a Persona game could feasibly stretch out to other than an RPG is a fighting game, unless someone went nuts with it and did something like an Akihiko brawler developed by Platinum Games someone mentioned a while back or a Yakuza/Kenka Bancho game featuring Kanji.

Trigger

If there was ever a pure action game made under the Persona banner made by Platinum I imagine it would star a robot girl.

FluxWaveZ

I'm in love with the idea. I can already picture it.

Atlus plz~! D:

Of course, in a way they kinda already did it. There was Aegis: The First Mission

Ugh, all these crap phone games. Atlus/Persona Team needs to think bigger! I like how they branched out to do something different with Catherine, but now that the Persona name is getting bigger and bigger they shouldn't feel as though the only games they can make in that world (and that will be successful) are RPGs. Persona 4 Arena's a start.

Squire

Banned
If there was ever a pure action game made under the Persona banner made by Platinum I imagine it would star a robot girl.

N7SIBAp.jpg

Take a smoke break, Sam...

QOb4pnC.jpg

She's got it from here.

Levito

Banned
It's almost as good as an open world Yakuza-esq game starring Chie and Yukiko.

Like a "buddy cop" movie with Chie and Yukiko, plays like Sleeping Dogs.

It's almost as good as an open world Yakuza-esq game starring Chie and Yukiko.

Like a "buddy cop" movie with Chie and Yukiko, plays like Sleeping Dogs.

I'd prefer good cop Chie, doesn't play by the rules cop Akihiko, and their by the book grizzled veteran captain, Officer Katsuya Suou.

Jintor

I want Platinum to stay the hell away from Persona. Or indeed, any franchise that I care about.

You're the worst person. Every game Platinum touches turns to... well, Platinum. [I will admit they are far more gameplay focused than anything else]

Started Persona 1.

"Eh".

Dantis

You're the worst person. Every game Platinum touches turns to... well, Platinum. [I will admit they are far more gameplay focused than anything else]

Started Persona 1.

"Eh".

Their gameplay is solid and very well-constructed, but often not to my taste.

Their style is always way too over the top for me though. I hate it.

Best part of Persona 1 is the music.

Jintor

You're bad and you should feel bad.

P1's music is pretty great. I don't have a fucking clue what's going on though.

Meia

ONLY part of persona 1 that was good is the music.

I really should torture myself by getting through it someday, but MEH.

Also buddy cop movie with Chie and Akihiko, with Chie following him around calling him sensei? Yes please. :p

cj_iwakura

Their gameplay is solid and very well-constructed, but often not to my taste.

Their style is always way too over the top for me though. I hate it.

Best part of Persona 1 is the music.

As long as we're talking about the PS1 version, agreed. Though it did have an innovative story for the time, and some great characters.

At the time an RPG with students in the modern day using swords and guns was unheard of.

Dantis

As long as we're talking about the PS1 version, agreed. Though it did have an innovative story for the time, and some great characters.

At the time an RPG with students in the modern day using swords and guns was unheard of.

I was talking about the PSP version.

Lone Prayer is boss.

cj_iwakura

I was talking about the PSP version.

Lone Prayer is boss.

Never gonna top the original battle themes. I also miss the looping thing they did, no matter when the battle ended, it seamlessly blended into a little victory tune. EP and IS did it too, but not the PSP remakes(with either OST).

The only good battle theme in P1 PSP is Pandora.

cjkeats

PSP P1 has some of my favorite persona music. School Days is awesome

I'm still trucking along in it. Just got out of the police station. The encounter rate in this game is bananas.

Dantis

Never gonna top the original battle themes. I also miss the looping thing they did, no matter when the battle ended, it seamlessly blended into a little victory tune. EP and IS did it too, but not the PSP remakes(with either OST).

The only good battle theme in P1 PSP is Pandora.

I really don't like the PS1 OST at all. I much prefer the PSP one.

Deadline is alright though.

PSP P1 has some of my favorite persona music. School Days is awesome

I'm still trucking along in it. Just got out of the police station. The encounter rate in this game is bananas.

School Days is excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom