• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can now say I've made Top 8 in something.

huehuehue fighting game joke don't mind me huehuehue

And just noticed-- Dantis isn't getting the P5 OT? But how else are we going to get the inevitable Labrys complaints in the first post? :p

Levito

Banned
P5 is basically like Half-life 3, we all know it's being worked on and it's coming, the question is just a matter of when.

Don't really care how long it takes, just REALLY hope it's on a current gen console.

EDIT:Damn, I forgot to preface my post - Gamebryo is an engine used for it's ability to track many complex triggers in a dynamic environment while offering a flexible, rapid iteration. It's also easy to multi-platform. Fallout 3 and Oblivion used this engine - does this mean Atlus had aspirations for a more open world RPG experience? Who knows.

P5 is basically like Half-life 3, we all know it's being worked on and it's coming, the question is just a matter of when.

Don't really care how long it takes, just REALLY hope it's on a current gen console.

I'm absolutely fascinated by what Atlus did for their current generation of tech - taking the impressive (albeit flawed) Gamebryo engine and modifying it (presumably during Catherine) into their own engine.

Here's a link to Gamebryo's site which showcases some games made on it: http://www.gamebryo.com/screenshots.php

Now, Atlus is no longer listed on the Gamebryo client list, of course, as they are no longer using that licensing model. So, I'm wondering what happened exactly? Furthermore, these questions:

• Was Gamebryo not capable of Persona 5?
  • Was Gamebryo too much for Persona 5?
  • Were they just testing the waters and changed direction entirely?
  • What will happen to all of those Catherine assets?

I think that Atlus will try and get a return on their investment with the sweat equity put into Gamebryo regardless of it no longer being their engine - I imagine about 2 or 3 titles to come out using their new engine. If I had to guess, I'd say Persona 5, Catherine 2, and a new IP.

Levito

Banned
Gamebryo also apparently is very difficult to optimise, a couple years ago an MMO called Rift came out and unless you had a REALLY beefy PC it ran quite poorly, despite the game no being very graphically impressive.

Dantis

I can now say I've made Top 8 in something.

huehuehue fighting game joke don't mind me huehuehue

And just noticed-- Dantis isn't getting the P5 OT? But how else are we going to get the inevitable Labrys complaints in the first post? :p

I am genuinely disappointed, haha!

I can't believe you can claim an OT before a game even has an official announcement. Seems a bit mad.

In other news, Maken arrived today. Mildly excited to play it.

Dantis

Keep in mind that Gamebryo isn't an engine in the same way that the Unreal Engine or the CryEngine is. I'm pretty sure it's all code-based. From what I've seen, it's like the basis for your own engine, which is why all the games look so drastically different.

FluxWaveZ

Man I wish scans were allowed here because then I would post the Mind Zero scans see how many people I could trick into believing it's Persona 5.

I posted a thread about this on another forum and it's been talked about it in the thread on NeoGAF, but Mind 0 and Persona 3 are indeed very similar for the moment.

My current table:
2457398-current+table.jpg

Obviously, no one would actually think that was Persona 5 based on those scans.

Considering it would take me all of two seconds to realise that it's not Soejima, I doubt you'd trick very many.

Yeah, it'd be weird and totally out of character if they switched out the artists on a series like they've already done with Persona and they're doing with SMT4.

I posted a thread about this on another forum and it's been talked about it in the thread on NeoGAF, but Mind 0 and Persona 3 are indeed very similar for the moment.

My current table:
2457398-current+table.jpg

The conversation scenes don't strike me as particularly different from P3P's presentation.

cjkeats

Mind Zero does look and sound an awful lot like a Persona game though. So much, I kinda want to play it, and I have no idea what kind of game it is.

Dantis

Yeah, it'd be weird and totally out of character if they switched out the artists on a series like they've already done with Persona and they're doing with SMT4.

*eye roll*

That's nice, buddy.

My interest has been piqued in this Mind Zero thing.

I'd never even heard of it until now. Sounds interesting.

EDIT: Ha! It's a massive Persona ripoff.

The game, developed in collaboration with Class of Heroes studio Zerodiv, is a dark and stylish school dungeon RPG featuring character designs by Kyo, scenario by Kushinachiminato, and sound by Zizz Studio.

The game will have two worlds—a crazy mental one and a physical one—and players can use special Mind powers to call forth stand-like things. (A JoJo reference, I guess?) It will also have fully voiced scenes, 3D battles, and 2D adventure game-like conversation scenes. When you hit enemies, you’ll see onomatopoeic words like “Barin!” and “Zugyan.”

Settings include Akihabara, Yokohama, Amamiya, and Nippori. It should be noted that these are written in kanji different from the names of the actual areas in Japan.

Find a set of characters and their voice actors below:
Protagonist (voiced by Tomokazu Sugita)
Heroine (voiced by Rina Satou)
Friend (voiced by Yuichi Nakamura)
Sensei (voiced by Takehito Koyasu)

The game is due out this summer for 6,279 yen in Japan.

Honestly, I'll play it if it gets released. The main character even looks like P3MC. Bonkers.

FluxWaveZ

My interest has been piqued in this Mind Zero thing.

I'm interested in anything that resembles Persona which, weirdly, isn't a lot... at all. I was interested in Conception just because of that, like I posted in the Conception 2 thread:
Like I posted before in this thread, what interested me in the first game was the fact that it seemed "like a dating sim + RPG where the relationship the player builds with other characters directly influences the abilities that are available in combat. The game also seemed to have a dominant focus on astrology. Dating sim affecting abilities in combat + astrological themes is so close to modern Persona 3/4's Social Link system + tarot themes that I couldn't not be interested."

Hopefully, this will at least see a western release.

Dantis and whoever claimed it (Scrafty is what Omi just told me in the Steam chat) should have a FT10 in P4A to decide who gets it ;)

I'm pretty sure I'd get soundly crushed, as I only play a spammy Naoto and Yosuke.

Dantis, you can have the OT if you really want it. I just saw that the OT was available and nabbed it after finishing P4G.

FluxWaveZ

Shouldn't an awesome OT be a collaboration anyways? Not too familiar with how they work, but it seems that different people could write different sections and those who are good with design/art could do the interface or whatever.

Dantis

Started up Maken. VERY pleasantly surprised to see that it uses the Japanese voice track, as opposed to the vile English one I saw in the Youtube videos.

One of the few times where an EU version of an Atlus game comes out on top.

I'm pretty sure I'd get soundly crushed, as I only play a spammy Naoto and Yosuke.

Dantis, you can have the OT if you really want it. I just saw that the OT was available and nabbed it after finishing P4G.

I'd feel bad if I took it off you now, haha!

Let's leave your name on the list for now, and work out what's happening with it closer to release. Maybe one of us will decide we don't even want to work on, who knows? Certainly, if, say Labrys was the main character, it probably wouldn't be best for me to do the OT. :p

Cheers for being so amicable though. ;)

Sophia

lol, the girl looks like Aigis. Truly shameless.

Girl looking like Aigis aside (IMOKAYWITHTHIS.JPG), the art isn't that all Persona like. Actually, it reminds me of Guilty Crown.

I wonder if this will be to Persona what Guilty Crown was to Code Geass. Sure does give me similar bad vibes.... >_>;

Dantis

Man, Maken is about ten times better than I expected. The closest thing I can to it in terms of gameplay is Dark Souls, minus the RPG stuff and a heck of a lot clunkier (We are talking about a game from 1999 after all). The art direction and music are also fantastic.

Sophia

What game are you guys talking about?

Acquire's newly announced game. Mind=0. Scans just came out. Suspiciously looks like a clone of Persona 3 right down to the protagonist and cast. It even has Persona knockoffs.

Or, as my guildmate in WoW so kindly put it: "I haven't even played P3 and I can still see the striking resemblance"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom