• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

You're stupid for calling me stupid! Stupid Yosuke!

Oh my god

the Yosuke vs Chie exchange is probably the best in the game, I died laughing.

"i'm want to eat you <3"

What's more, i noticed that Yu is significantly smarter than Yosuke. No seriously, he was able to deduce that teddie, rise and his opponents were clearly not right in the head (due to mysterious circumstances) and that he had to put a stop it. Yosuke's like "whatever, i'm going home, stop acting weird guys!" In fact, it doesn't take him much to fight his friends hehe...

he's really, really dense 0_o

I love how diferrent the story modes are

EDIT: I TAKE IT BACK. Yosuke vs Yu had me in tears

cjkeats

Finished another playthrough of Catherine, first since launch back in 2011. Started it yesterday, finished it just then.

Jesus christ this game is incredible. The atmosphere, the music, the characters, the way everything toys with you to make you as confused as Vincent, just everything in here is amazing.
I got the true cheater ending, which has to be the joke ending because I was laughing so hard. Lost it when Nergal showed up. Last time I played I got the "normal Lovers" ending, so I intentionally tried to get with Catherine in the end.

This is free for EU PS+ soon right? I hope everyone plays it if they haven't.

Dantis

P4: Arena should probably be 2 parts. One to discuss the plot and story of the game and just our general feelings on it.

Will this be after the EU release of P4 Arena?

It would be neat if I could come on and talk about my feelings surrounding the game post-release, as someone who was royally shafted by it.

Finished another playthrough of Catherine, first since launch back in 2011. Started it yesterday, finished it just then.

Jesus christ this game is incredible. The atmosphere, the music, the characters, the way everything toys with you to make you as confused as Vincent, just everything in here is amazing.
I got the true cheater ending, which has to be the joke ending because I was laughing so hard. Lost it when Nergal showed up. Last time I played I got the "normal Lovers" ending, so I intentionally tried to get with Catherine in the end.

This is free for EU PS+ soon right? I hope everyone plays it if they haven't.

Indeed it is. As far as the endings go... man, that game goes mad. I kind of feel like they should just cut off before the story starts to unravel (
In the scene where Vincent is out walking in the rain. Make that a bit longer and you have your ending right there!
). But I know that's not the Persona way, haha.

Levito

Banned
i'll get in on arena's story talk.

Absolutely, with the art you're working on/the station ID you made for us you've pretty much gained a spot on any episode you'd like!

I would not mind possibly getting involved with these shenanigans if spaces permit

For sure, you're a big competitive player right?

Also I just posted a blog update for the podcast, if you want to contact me about something pertaining to the podcast then send me a PM. This week I'm going to be on vacation so I probably wont be back to you quickly.

Want to know what ELSE is in Youske's room?

One of the most horrifying things in existence.

Could be worse, he could be a Limp Bizkit fan.

It would be neat if I could come on and talk about my feelings surrounding the game post-release, as someone who was royally shafted by it.

For sure, we can hold off on that episode till the EU release.

cj_iwakura

Indeed it is. As far as the endings go... man, that game goes mad. I kind of feel like they should just cut off before the story starts to unravel (
In the scene where Vincent is out walking in the rain. Make that a bit longer and you have your ending right there!

As much as I love Catherine, my biggest problem with the game is
the cop-out of Katherine VS Catherine not happening due to Vincent's dream.

They should have highlighted the conflict more.

cjkeats

I kinda feel like this too, although I think the end could've went a little after that. There wouldn't have been any closure to Catherine's story. A lot of reviews complained about
how it got all "megatenny".
As much as I love Catherine, my biggest problem with the game is
the cop-out of Katherine VS Catherine not happening due to Vincent's dream.

They should have highlighted the conflict more.
This. Oh man that was one hell of a scene. shame they just left it.

Squire

Banned

"Shafted"? By a product you've yet to purchase? Surely you jest, good sir.

Dantis

"Shafted"? By a product you've yet to purchase? Surely you jest, good sir.

Well, you're not wrong there, haha.

What I meant is that, at this time (And indeed since July), my feelings towards it are pretty negative, both as a European, and as a pretty die-hard fan of the Persona Team. If we record it after release, I feel like I'd offer a different perspective perhaps than the rest of you.

I kinda feel like this too, although I think the end could've went a little after that. There wouldn't have been any closure to Catherine's story. A lot of reviews complained about
how it got all "megatenny".

I wouldn't have minded. I love a bit of ambiguity, and it would have left things open to interpretation. Unfortunately, that's not how Japanese videogame stories roll.

It is funny how that yosuke vs chie moment is a great example of why some love the game and the fan service it brings, and others hate those moments and how they basically made the characters caricatures/parodies of themselves.

For sure, you're a big competitive player right?
I wish. I'm not good enough to say that (I think I've only beaten Flux once and that was purely luck lol) and I don't even live near any competitive scenes for any game lol. I just really love playing the game though, and honestly if it wasn't for Arena I doubt I'd even be in this thread or into the series at all. Arena was how I first got from "some series where kids use guns to their heads and I don't get it" to "damn how have I been overlooking this series for so friggin long"

PK Gaming

It is funny how that yosuke vs chie moment is a great example of why some love the game and the fan service it brings, and others hate those moments and how they basically made the characters caricatures/parodies of themselves.

I'm a little annoyed at how stupid / simplified they made Yosuke, but at the same time I wasn't expecting a deep story (especially in a fighting game). I'm totally content with turning my brain off and laughing / enjoying at whatever happens to some of my favorite characters in gaming.

PS: Labrys's brooklyn accent. Y/Y?

I'm a little annoyed at how stupid / simplified they made Yosuke, but at the same time I wasn't expecting a deep story (especially in a fighting game). I'm totally content with turning my brain off and laughing / enjoying at whatever happens to some of my favorite characters in gaming.

PS: Labrys's brooklyn accent. Y/Y?

Dat accent sho woy'kd in my opinion. Da folks who say dat dey should put da kibbosh on it can go git outta town

Meia

I feel for characters like Labrys, but she probably wouldn't have been as endearing without the accent. It just works for her.

PK Gaming

Dat accent sho woy'kd in my opinion. Da folks who say dat dey should put da kibbosh on it can go git outta town

tumblr_ljh9629zD01qb3p2zo1_500.jpg

i seriously can't stop laughing

Onemic

So how good are persona 1, 2, and innocent sin? Been thinking about getting those and the first two SMT games for the vita.

Meia

My first opinion was I hated Persona 1.

Now that I'm near the end of it, I find it's grown on me, and I can't quite explain why. I think it's because most of the character interaction seems to be mid-back loaded instead of in the beginning, so it's hard to keep interest at first unless you keep plugging away at it.

Just expect all of the old school ones to be very different. 1 has some mechanics I'm not fond of(formation system can kiss the fattest part of my ass), but I know 2 did away with that. I didn't mind the system of making new personas in 1(though it still seems convoluted as all hell and I still haven't gotten an inheritance for abilities though it's supposed to exist(though this is made better with the gem system which isn't unlike spell cards in later game remakes)), though I think IS's system may be worse(least the like 5 hours I played of IS compared to the 20 I think I'm in of P1).

Soma

hmmm so are any of them worth it? Or is it just P3 and p4?

Haven't played the first but 2 is most definitely worth it at least. Even if you somehow find the game mechanics dated (I found the battle system/demon contacting pretty fun but I took a big break from the modern games before tackling 2), the story and characters more than make up for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom