• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

The "Random" option for lobbies in P4A is a piece of shit. It's letting Flux play every turn when the whole point of putting it on random was so he couldn't play every turn.

Trigger

After Strange Journey I figured they got the handheld SMT out of the way, and that the next mainline SMT would be on the PS3. But lo and behold, they threw it on the 3DS. At this point I wouldn't put it past Atlus to make P5 Vita exclusive.

I can't see Atlus putting a game on a handheld after spending years developing for a console even after seeing Strange Journey/Golden's success.

Mainline SMT on a console was doomed since P3 hit it big. I knew that. Heck, I never even thought we'd get an SMT IV.

They threw us a bone, big time, all things considered.

All things considered, the series got a big revival, what with a big classic being ported, a whole new sideseries being created and the main series having both a side game and a bonafide new entry!

Soriku

I would imagine Playstation 3 is a lock for Persona 5. The game is likely too large in scope to just be a 3DS game since it's been in development since 2010. I could see a downport on 3DS, but a Vita downport makes sense since Sony has streamlined that process. It's pretty neat that you can play every single Persona game on Vita. I hope that continues with 5.

They were planning SMT IV since 4 years ago so I don't think the years matters.

P5 is definitely for the PS3 though.

cj_iwakura

All things considered, the series got a big revival, what with a big classic being ported, a whole new sideseries being created and the main series having both a side game and a bonafide new entry!

Oh, I agree. But make no mistake, this is fuel for Persona 5's fire.

Squire

Banned
I had always reasoned that it can't be ps3 since the ps4 is coming out this year, then I looked at releases and saw P3 coming out the same year as the ps3 did, so that shot that right out.

Only thing worrying it releasing another game after that with the same engine after a non backwards compatible system comes out.

Persona 6 will presumably be on PS3 as well. The platform is going into the background, but it's not disappearing into thin air. It'll be a home for niche games and the occasional licensed shovleware for years yet.

Meia

Yeah, I figure that once the assets are done, we'll probably get 5 and 6 back to back. Or maybe a 5 and 4-2 or whatever the hell they're doing with what they've left the story of Arena at.

Only two things will make me angry in any scenario: Handheld only(game toned down too much), or Arena ideas scrapped completely. Though the latter isn't as bad to me as the former.

EP is only making me angry we didn't get the PSP version now, if they changed the game's interface to resemble how they did IS...

cj_iwakura

Yeah, I figure that once the assets are done, we'll probably get 5 and 6 back to back. Or maybe a 5 and 4-2 or whatever the hell they're doing with what they've left the story of Arena at.

Only two things will make me angry in any scenario: Handheld only(game toned down too much), or Arena ideas scrapped completely. Though the latter isn't as bad to me as the former.

EP is only making me angry we didn't get the PSP version now, if they changed the game's interface to resemble how they did IS...

EPSP's exactly the same. Even better, since it has customizable colors.

actually EPP's interface is like a mix of IS/EP PS1 and IS PSP

Persona 6 will presumably be on PS3 as well. The platform is going into the background, but it's not disappearing into thin air. It'll be a home for niche games and the occasional licensed shovleware for years yet.

I agree. I'm still hopin that they don't tie 5 and 6 into the 3/4 plot line though. I'd take another arena game over that. I think the success of Catherine could see them going in a different direction regarding S.link systems and such, though I know it's too much to ask for a group of persona users over 17.

Meia

Just not being able to change the party order for ease of use with fusion spells is KILLING ME since it seems to reset every damn battle. IS spoiled me... :(

I hope Persona 5 has some PvP options. It doesn't have to be a deep multiplayer that takes away from the single player development. Just let us combat people online with personas we've earned in single player. It would make getting the best Personas a bit more worthwhile as well as customizing them with the best skill sets.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I hope Persona 5 has some PvP options. It doesn't have to be a deep multiplayer that takes away from the single player development. Just let us combat people online with personas we've earned in single player. It would make getting the best Personas a bit more worthwhile as well as customizing them with the best skill sets.

Wat?

oSpGjYL.gif

What would be wrong with that? I certainly wouldn't want them to waste time making a bloated MP game with tons of modes and wasted time balancing it. Just add a cheap little mode for fighting friends. I think a lot of games like that can add quite a bit of depth with multiplayer in that way if they recognize from the start they should only spend the right amount of time on it. Most games get it wrong because they have a single player game with a gimmick that works well with multiplayer, and try to make it the next CoD of multiplayer. Just keep it simple like Pokemon PvP.

they should either put a lot of effort into something or not add it

no dilution

With that logic, game developers should either put a lot of effort into a game and make it an AAA game project, or don't bother making it at all. You can have smaller experiences that are fun. PvP in a game like Persona would be pretty fun and require practically no work. Hell, even having a 4v4 mode with friends would be extremely simple to handle. The fact that it simple to do doesn't keep it from being a blast. Some of the best times I had playing Pokemon on my GBA or Yu-Gi-Oh on my PS2 were in PvP battles. I think way the recent Persona games have handled collecting Personas and combat lend itself to a fun turn based PvP battle system.

How do you feel about games that add smaller little modes that add more gameplay? Lots of older games do it. You beat the game and unlock fun little modes. I've always thought those were quite innocent and fun. I don't see how a PvP modeof a game that is very well suited for PvP is bad.

Sophia

IHaveCandy, she didn't say anything at all about the quality/budget of the game. Just merely that if you're going to add an element, you should be willing to go all the way with it. No half-assed compromises.

Uh? I'm pretty sure you can do that. Do i remember wrong?

You can. It's in the menus. There's no FFX-style turn order displayed like in the PSP versions however.

You're saying that Atlus shouldn't bother with a PvP mode if they aren't going to put a lot of effort into it, regardless of how fun it would be even if they put a little effort.

With that logic, smaller games that have less resources behind them shouldn't be made. Those devs should apparently opt to make a larger $60 game instead of several $10 games even if the idea is best suited as a $10 game. There isn't any reason why Atlus shouldn't consider adding a simple PvP mode that would not hamper the development of the single player game and give a nice bit of content for people to play and find use in the better Personas in the game later on.

IHaveCandy, she didn't say anything at all about the quality of the game. Just merely that if you're going to add an element, you should be willing to go all the way with it. No half-assed compromises.

Well I'm not following how a simple PvP mode is half-assed or compromised. Is PvP in Pokemon considered half-assed or compromising of the single player game? Simple doesn't mean done poorly.

Risette

A Good Citizen
also it's an AAA trend to half-ass things for the sake of adding another thing to a feature checklist like it's a new version of microsoft office rather than art

You're saying that Atlus shouldn't bother with a PvP mode if they aren't going to put a lot of effort into it, regardless of how fun it would be even if they put a little effort.

With that logic, smaller games that have less resources behind them shouldn't be made. Those devs should apparently opt to make a larger $60 game instead of several $10 games even if the idea is best suited as a $10 game. There isn't any reason why Atlus shouldn't consider adding a simple PvP mode that would not hamper the development of the single player game and give a nice bit of content for people to play and find use in the better Personas in the game later on.
:leaps of logic:

Sophia

On that note, PvP is seriously a silly idea unless they're going all out with the multiplayer ala Persona Online.

And as much as I joke about Persona Online, I'd rather see a stronger single player for P5.

Well I'm not following how a simple PvP mode is half-assed or compromised. Is PvP in Pokemon considered half-assed or compromising of the single player game? Simple doesn't mean done poorly.

There's a lot of balancing work to make such a mode work. You're not merely talking "slap on Pvp lolz!"; You have to rebalanced the entire game around it. Pokemon was balanced loosely with multiplayer in mind to begin with, which is why it works there.

I'd much rather them not bother with it, unless they're willing to go all out with it. It's a waste of time that could be dedicated towards making a stronger single player, or better social links.

also it's an AAA trend to half-ass things for the sake of adding another thing to a feature checklist like it's a new version of microsoft office rather than art

:leaps of logic:

Yeah I touched on that. Like I said, those people do it poorly because they bloat the MP as if it's going to become the next CoD of multiplayer. A good example of a game that handled expanding to MP greatly was the Xbox Splinter Cell games. Both Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory added a very unique experience to their games with multiplayer. They had very little content to them compared to other MP games like Halo at the time. But what they had to play was a great experience. Adding MP to a primarily single player franchise is a problem when you try to make it a huge part of the game when it doesn't really work well like that. Nothing wrong with adding a smaller multiplayer aspect that makes sense and adds a new way to play the game in a good way.

On that note, PvP is seriously a silly idea unless they're going all out with the multiplayer ala Persona Online.

And as much as I joke about Persona Online, I'd rather see a stronger single player for P5.

There's a lot of balancing work to make such a mode work. You're not merely talking "slap on Pvp lolz!"; You have to rebalanced the entire game around it. Pokemon was balanced loosely with multiplayer in mind to begin with, which is why it works there.

I'd much rather them not bother with it. It's a waste of time that could be dedicated towards making a stronger single player, or better social links.

There's nothing about Persona 3/4's combat that seems unbalanced for MP. The only thing I'd do is either take away items or limit certain items outside of MP. I think for the most part Persona would work well as a PvP game as it is. Could they make it better with a lot of reworking? Sure, but I'd like it just the way it is.

Sophia

I think Dark Souls style multiplayer elements are a better addition anyhow.

There's nothing about Persona 3/4's combat that seems unbalanced for MP. The only thing I'd do is either take away items or limit certain items outside of MP. I think for the most part Persona would work well as a PvP game as it is. Could they make it better with a lot of reworking? Sure, but I'd like it just the way it is.

You mean nothing unbalance besides the fact that the player that would go first could in theory win the entire battle before the other got a chance to act? Remember, AI roulette is the only thing keeping them from dominating a player.

Rikkun

So guys, hey, I'm playing P4G and uh, I beat the
videogame-y
dungeon and now I've basically spent TWO MONTHS
thinking they caught the killer and such,
so annoying that I don't even try to grind at Junes.
I'm in September and.. will this end soon? Please? It seems extremely silly.

Also, can you max out every social link? I'm level 10 with Yukiko but I kinda feel like a little shit hitting on other girls so right now I'm focusing on Dojima and Yosuke, once I went out with Marie then we met Rise then Yukiko then I shat my pants.
So can I be a jerk? Can I keep on working at the hospital?

Sophia

So guys, hey, I'm playing P4G and uh, I beat the
videogame-y
dungeon and now I've basically spent TWO MONTHS
thinking they caught the killer and such,
so annoying that I don't even try to grind at Junes.
I'm in September and.. will this end soon? Please? It seems extremely silly.

Also, can you max out every social link? I'm level 10 with Yukiko but I kinda feel like a little shit hitting on other girls so right now I'm focusing on Dojima and Yosuke, once I went out with Marie then we met Rise then Yukiko then I shat my pants.
So can I be a jerk? Can I keep on working at the hospital?

You're at the final act of the game. Shit's about to get real.

And yes you can max out every social link, however it's difficult to do so in a first playthrough and not recommended.

Meia

You can. It's in the menus. There's no FFX-style turn order displayed like in the PSP versions however.

I can't find it outside of battles. I know you can do it in battles, but it resets after one round of doing so, unless there's some way to force the game to keep the same order. So far just manually selecting fusion spells each round, which is going to slow down the game dramatically in comparison to how I went through IS... :(

Sophia

I can't find it outside of battles. I know you can do it in battles, but it resets after one round of doing so, unless there's some way to force the game to keep the same order. So far just manually selecting fusion spells each round, which is going to slow down the game dramatically in comparison to how I went through IS... :(

There's an option to automatically set up fusion spells in there somewhere during battle. Don't ask me where tho, I hate EP's original interface.

I think Dark Souls style multiplayer elements are a better addition anyhow.

You mean nothing unbalance besides the fact that the player that would go first could in theory win the entire battle before the other got a chance to act? Remember, AI roulette is the only thing keeping them from dominating a player.
The player defense would obviously be raised to higher levels than the enemies you fight. Player HP would be more like a boss than random enemies. I don't think AI would factor since all party members would be player controlled. I would want there to be no items so that you don't get long running fights with people using Soma at the last minute. It would work pretty well. Obviously people with far superior personas will win easily, but that is the same with all PvP games.

Sophia

Stop hating on P2, gawsh.

I don't hate on P2. I merely hate on it's interface. Which is why I'm all the sadder that we didn't get EPP and it's godlike interface. ;_;

The player defense would obviously be raised to higher levels than the enemies you fight. Player HP would be more like a boss than random enemies. I don't think AI would factor since all party members would be player controlled. I would want there to be no items so that you don't get long running fights with people using Soma at the last minute. It would work pretty well. Obviously people with far superior personas will win easily, but that is the same with all PvP games.

You have the realize that the variation of the Press Turn system in Persona 3/4 is counter-intuitive to a Player vs Player game. All those extreme cheap deaths you always hear new players talk about? Those would be the norm under such a system.

Amusingly, a modified version of the real Press Turn system would work, but I don't think we'll see that in a Persona game.

cj_iwakura

If you want SMT PvP, jump into Imagine. Have fun getting ganked by overleveled Shivas and Asuras.

And hey, EP traditional interface has its charms. Among them wallpaper text bars!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom